Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82971 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Man.... I didn't know he was drafted 15th overall?!?!? 

I just wiki'd the 77 Draft. Not only was he the #15 pick, but he was the SIXTH right winger drafted! WTF?? :lol

The Islanders also drafted John Tonelli in the second round.

Chad, the Leafs had picks 11 & 12 in that draft. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 03:51:35 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

The Kings traded #13 away in that draft year as well.  Back during the early years where the Kings had no big desire to acquire players through entry drafts and opted to keep trading 1st round picks away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Hate to see them blow a 3-goal lead, but the Blues still pulled out another OT win over the Wild, their likely 1st round opponent.  Home ice doesn't mean much in the hockey playoffs, but you'd still rather have it, and the Blues are now ahead of the Wild for 2nd.  Their offense is unstoppable lately.

Offline pg1067

The Kings traded #13 away in that draft year as well.  Back during the early years where the Kings had no big desire to acquire players through entry drafts and opted to keep trading 1st round picks away.

Somewhere in the 2010-11 range, I went to a breakfast with the GM with Dean Lombardi.  He went through the Kings' sad history of trading away picks for aging veterans and illustrated how it hampered the team for years and years.

All of the Pacific Division teams in the hunt, except Calgary and Vancouver are now even in terms of games played.  Super tight race.  Kings REALLY need to pick up the 2 points against Columbus tonight.  I'll be flipping back and forth between the Kings and Dodgers.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Guys, you are starting a team and have the first pick.

Who do you take?

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Someone else

Me? I'm taking Matthews
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm taking Robert Thomas.

:hat :hat

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Guys, you are starting a team and have the first pick.

Who do you take?

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Someone else

Me? I'm taking Matthews

Based on what? He's having the best season of his career, no doubt,   but he's already got a history of injuries and hasn't done anything until now to remotely suggest he's on the same level as McDavid.

I'll take the perennial 110+pt player every time.  If goals are your only concern,  sure, take Matthews. I'll just have to settle for McD's 45 goals and 80 assists.  I think you'd be better asking if you'd rather Matthews , Draisaitl or another player. At least Matthews is in Leon's class

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Based on what? He's having the best season of his career, no doubt,   but he's already got a history of injuries and hasn't done anything until now to remotely suggest he's on the same level as McDavid.

I'll take the perennial 110+pt player every time.  If goals are your only concern,  sure, take Matthews. I'll just have to settle for McD's 45 goals and 80 assists.  I think you'd be better asking if you'd rather Matthews , Draisaitl or another player. At least Matthews is in Leon's class

Dude, I don't want to argue about it. Just throwing it out there..

So you're taking McDavid.. Gotcha. :tup

Offline jammindude

Watching the Kraken game tonight and I really like what I’m seeing from this new kid out of Michigan. Matty Beniers. First NHL goal tonight and we seem to be riding on the enthusiasm for the new blood. We’ll see if it lasts.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

^^ 2nd overall pick in last year's draft, you better hope this guy turns out well.  He could help the Kraken out for years to come.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

@Gord, I think you will attest, that it wasn't the goals he and his line did score, but it was the ones they didn't. I mean, they were so close to scoring on every shift.

Absolutely. What's almost as crazy is that Trottier was a second round draft pick, 22nd overall. He didn't look like much when you watched him play, but he was just sneaky good. When he first entered the league, I remember my Dad commenting that Trottier "thinks too much." And in a way, it was true... there was no one on that team that could match Trottier's shifty, cerebral brand of hockey. But when Bossy entered the league a couple years later, the pairing was literally like hand-in-glove. In my fifty years of watching hockey, I'd never seen two players that were more made for each other. The closest thing to it in today's game would probably be Backstrom-Ovechkin.

Come to think of it, when I watch Matt Barzal, there's no one the current Isles team that can keep up with what he's doing and take advantage of his out-sized skillset.

Also, I take Matthews. I just prefer his style of play, but it's really a toss-up.

For the era that came before, I take Crosby over Ovechkin.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

@Gord, I think you will attest, that it wasn't the goals he and his line did score, but it was the ones they didn't. I mean, they were so close to scoring on every shift.

Absolutely. What's almost as crazy is that Trottier was a second round draft pick, 22nd overall. He didn't look like much when you watched him play, but he was just sneaky good. When he first entered the league, I remember my Dad commenting that Trottier "thinks too much." And in a way, it was true... there was no one on that team that could match Trottier's shifty, cerebral brand of hockey. But when Bossy entered the league a couple years later, the pairing was literally like hand-in-glove. In my fifty years of watching hockey, I'd never seen two players that were more made for each other. The closest thing to it in today's game would probably be Backstrom-Ovechkin.

Come to think of it, when I watch Matt Barzal, there's no one the current Isles team that can keep up with what he's doing and take advantage of his out-sized skillset.

Also, I take Matthews. I just prefer his style of play, but it's really a toss-up.

For the era that came before, I take Crosby over Ovechkin.

For longevity, you're spot on.  For the future, I'll take Marner/Matthews (assuming Matthews re-signs with Toronto in a couple of years).

As for who I take... I dunno, that's a tough call.  Obviously I'm biased because I see Matthews all the time.  I get the sense he's a stronger defender than McJesus (though their +/- would suggest otherwise).  Statistically, it's almost a wash - yes Rich, goals are more valuable than assists.  Also, kinda rich for you to dock Matthews for injuries.  Tell me again why McDavid doesn't have a Calder trophy?   :lol :lol

Gun to my head, I'm probably taking McDavid.  Though at this moment, I think Matthews is still growing and improving his game more than McDavid does.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hard fought win by the Leafs last night.  As usual, great goaltending, and the battle of Ontario is always a tough game.  Some sloppiness on the Leafs, but thankfully they came back and got the 2 points to stay ahead of the Bolts and Bs.

Holy crap did Calgary wake up after a sleepy 1st period.
Gotta watch the Avs/Caned highlight package to see if it was a close one, or the Avs really did beat them up to a 7-4 victory; same with Bolts/Jets
Hard to see a path for the Knights to make the playoffs via the Wildcard - looks like their only hope is catching the Kings.

Looks like a bunch of teams are on a tear heading into the playoffs - Panthers, Avs, Leafs, Oil, and Blues all with 8+ wins in their last 10.  Looks 13 or 14 of the playoff teams will be 100-point teams ... everyone in the East; and maybe just the WC and 3rd place Pac team that don't get there.  Crazy good hockey teams.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Blues have scored 41 goals in their last eight games (all wins).  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

And for as much as our defense is irksome at times, combined with Binnington's struggles, the Blues are still a top 10 team in goals allowed this season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hard fought win by the Leafs last night.  As usual, great goaltending, and the battle of Ontario is always a tough game.  Some sloppiness on the Leafs, but thankfully they came back and got the 2 points to stay ahead of the Bolts and Bs.

Pretty sure the Leafs have 2nd place locked up. I wouldn't expect Tampa to catch up.

Bruins' injuries have hurt them for the last half dozen games. They'll have a better chance in the Metro, as long as they can hold off the Caps.
For some reason, I do not believe in the Canes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Pretty sure the Leafs have 2nd place locked up. I wouldn't expect Tampa to catch up.

Bruins' injuries have hurt them for the last half dozen games. They'll have a better chance in the Metro, as long as they can hold off the Caps.
For some reason, I do not believe in the Canes.

Canes probably are the best bet.  I wouldn't want to go up against a young/hungry NYR team with Shersterkin.  With the Panthers, they've got so much firepower, it might not matter which version of Bobs shows up to the playoffs.

Couple of interesting stats to come out of the Leafs game.  Marner has 56 points since the all-star break, the most of any active player at any point in their career (McJesus had 54 in '17/'18).  Also, the Leafs have six 60-point players - only 2 other teams in the last 25 years have done that.  Lastly, Bunting is now only behind Matthews in rookie points (the latter had 69 in his Calder winning season).  I know he's playing with Marner/Matthews, but Bunting better be at least a finalist for the Calder.

And yup.... both the Avs and Bolts looked like beasts.  Also helps that Winnipeg has been playing really bad - man, they're gonna need an overhaul in the off-season.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Canes probably are the best bet.  I wouldn't want to go up against a young/hungry NYR team with Shersterkin.  With the Panthers, they've got so much firepower, it might not matter which version of Bobs shows up to the playoffs.

Calling it now. Rangers/Leafs ECF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Blues have scored 41 goals in their last eight games (all wins).  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

And for as much as our defense is irksome at times, combined with Binnington's struggles, the Blues are still a top 10 team in goals allowed this season.

They’ve looked great the past 10-12 games for sure. Really dialed it in. It’s tough not to get excited about them making a good run at it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

They’ve looked great the past 10-12 games for sure. Really dialed it in. It’s tough not to get excited about them making a good run at it.

Just go back a few pages... I'm sure you can bring yourself down.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I know right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I know right.
gbipolardrake.   :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I know right.
gbipolardrake.   :lol :lol

It’s not my fault…..really. It’s this team. They do this to you  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh and let me take this moment on e again since it’s that time a year again to scream about how lame the Hockey playoff seeding is. Should be a straight 1-8……1v8, 2v7 etc etc. Much better format and rewards the teams for actually finishing at or near the top. Not like the dumb ass system in place now.

Offline Anguyen92

I’m fine with a 1-8 format.  Just not this time around.  If the Kings make it, they get Oilers which is better than a 1-8 format in which they get the Avs….

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Better yet, go back to how it was in the early 80s where the top 16 seeds make it and get seeded in order.

Blues would still play the Wild in the 1st round now under that scenario.  :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh and let me take this moment on e again since it’s that time a year again to scream about how lame the Hockey playoff seeding is. Should be a straight 1-8……1v8, 2v7 etc etc. Much better format and rewards the teams for actually finishing at or near the top. Not like the dumb ass system in place now.

I dunno what the big diff is.  1 will always play 8, and there's usually a VERY strong likelihood of 2v7.  I guess this year, if the Blues finish ahead of the Flames, that's what your beef is?  That they wouldn't get the 7th seed if that were to happen?  You'd rather have (potentially) the Preds?  :biggrin:

I actually don't have a problem with the current methodology the NHL uses.  It's a nice blend of the 80s/90s approach - the days of the Symthe/Adams/Patrick/Norris divisions, where each division was seeded 1-4, and all division winners played each other; vs the late 90s where it was straight stack ranking, and then re-seeding as well.  I like that the current format produces divisional rivalries, and allows it to be the 'best' 16 teams (for the most part) that make the playoffs.  This is the breaks when the 'best' teams by regular season standings fall in the same Conference, or Division - like the Atl this year. 

I'd rather see the Oil/Kings and Wild/Blues in round 1, as opposed to (potentially) the other way around.  Same with Toronto/Bolts and Pens/Rangers vs (again, potentially) the other way around.

I think it's only a matter of time before the NHL does as all other 3 major NA leagues have done, and expand their playoff format to allow for more teams to get to the dance.  Pre 1991, there were only 5 teams that did NOT make the playoffs; now it's 16.  That's gotta change.  If there were play-in rounds, that'd give hope for the Isles (who kinda screwed themselves with the new arena and the 13 game roadtrip to start the year), Knights and Canucks - all who have been playing pretty well lately.

Offline Anguyen92

I personally have no issues with a play-in round as well.  The Western conference play-in teams would be Stars, Kings, Golden Knights, and Canucks.  I mean, my bias would hate it, but then again, you would always have people think that the Kings don't deserve to be there because of x, y, z, etc reasons.  Plus, that would be a little fairer to the Canucks who had a rough quarter of a season, got rid of their GM and coach, and Bruce Boudreau has coached them to be a credible team again.  I'm sitting here thinking, "Thank goodness, they didn't switch coaches earlier, or otherwise, the Kings would probably not be in a playoff hunt."

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I'm mostly indifferent to the current format, although i wouldn't mind it being seeded vs. Bracket. Mostly I'm just glad they went back to 4 divisions. Never, ever, ever should a division winner make the playoffs,  as the 3 seed no less, with the 9th or 10th best record in their conference.  Too many times the Caps reaped the benefits of that south division.

I'd be on board with a play-in round.  More exciting for fans,  still rewards teams for regular season performance,  and generates more revenue for the league.  Seems like wins all around.

Offline pg1067

I think it's only a matter of time before the NHL does as all other 3 major NA leagues have done, and expand their playoff format to allow for more teams to get to the dance.  Pre 1991, there were only 5 teams that did NOT make the playoffs; now it's 16.  That's gotta change.  If there were play-in rounds, that'd give hope for the Isles (who kinda screwed themselves with the new arena and the 13 game roadtrip to start the year), Knights and Canucks - all who have been playing pretty well lately.

I disagree with the bolded.

In 2021, MLB had 10 of 30 teams making the playoffs.  In 2022, that will change to 12 of 30 teams.  Totally good with this.

The NFL has 14 of 32 teams making the playoffs.  This is about right.

The NBA and NHL have more than half of their teams (16 out of 30) making the playoffs (the "play-in tournament" games in the NBA are not playoff games).  In the NBA this season, one of the 16 is below .500.  There are at least two sub .500 teams currently in the hunt for the Cup playoffs.

I really hope they don't expand the playoffs (or add a "play-in tournament") -- especially if it results in teams potentially having to play more than 28 games.  Too much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I disagree with the bolded.

In 2021, MLB had 10 of 30 teams making the playoffs.  In 2022, that will change to 12 of 30 teams.  Totally good with this.

The NFL has 14 of 32 teams making the playoffs.  This is about right.

The NBA and NHL have more than half of their teams (16 out of 30) making the playoffs (the "play-in tournament" games in the NBA are not playoff games).  In the NBA this season, one of the 16 is below .500.  There are at least two sub .500 teams currently in the hunt for the Cup playoffs.

I really hope they don't expand the playoffs (or add a "play-in tournament") -- especially if it results in teams potentially having to play more than 28 games.  Too much.

So, seeing (given the current standings), the Knights and Canucks go against the Kings and Ducks/Preds in a one-game, get the last 2 playoff spots doesn't intrigue you?  Same with Isles and Blue Jackets?  Other than CBJ, those other three teams have had terrible misfortune befall them through injuries and/or building a new arena that wasn't ready on time.  Four more sell-out arenas is good for revenue, and it gives the Top 12 teams a couple of extra days of rest before the playoffs.  Honestly, I think it's shit that less than 1/2 the teams in the other leagues make the playoffs.  Playoff sport is the best - I don't understand why someone wouldn't want more playoff caliber games?  How intense are the 'win-and-your-in' games that happen towards the end of a season - in any given sport?  Why wouldn't you want more of that?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Meanwhile, the Blues put on a show today, scoring seven goals in the 2nd period, en route to an 8-3 beatdown of the Predators.  :coolio :coolio

Offline pg1067

So, seeing (given the current standings), the Knights and Canucks go against the Kings and Ducks/Preds in a one-game, get the last 2 playoff spots doesn't intrigue you?  Same with Isles and Blue Jackets?

Nope.

My first sport was baseball.  When I started watching, you got 4 out of 24 teams making the playoffs (16.67%).  Now we've got 12 out of 30 (40%).

When I started watching football, the NFL had 8 out of 28 teams making the playoffs (28.57%), and the next season, that got bumped up to 10 out of 28 (35.71%).  Now we're at 14 out of 32 (43.75%)

As you mentioned, at one point, the NHL had 16 out of 21 teams making the playoffs (76.19%).  That's when I started watching hockey, and that was ridiculous.  The current 16 out of 32 teams (50%) is more palatable, but having more than half your teams make the playoffs would be crazy.

As far as "more is better," we've got an NHL season that usually lasts 6 months, with a postseason that's about another 9-10 weeks.  Baseball is already intruding into November.  We're in serious danger of having a World Series game being postponed because of snow.  If you want to lengthen the playoffs, then the 162-game schedule needs to be contracted.  In the other sports, adding playoff games/rounds would devalue what we already have.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree that some of the seasons are way too long. But that’ll never change - REVENUE! (owners); SALARY! (players). You wouldn’t see $30M+ salaries with a 100 game MLB, or 65 game NBA season.

We’ll agree to disagree about playoff participation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I think the number of teams that make it is perfect....it's already a beast of a post season and the most difficult sports championship to win. Nothing wrong with the amount of teams in it. I personally just like the straight up 1 thru 8 seedings, most points at the top.....lowest at the bottom and then the 1v8, 2v7 etc etc format. I 'get' why the current system is the way it is an ultimately to win the cup you have to beat all the other teams so it's not that big a deal.....I just have an issue with teams with less points essentially getting a higher seeding which happens quite a bit in the current format.