Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82892 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
So, Anaheim has proven their first 1/2 of the season was them punching out of their weight class.
Vegas sneaks by Vancouver to keep their dim hopes of a post season alive, while virtually snuffing out the Canucks'
Stars blew a chance to solidify there WC standing, but still have 3 games in hand over VGK.  They just gotta make the most of those points, and losing in reg to the Kraken could be a big miss.
Rangers?  WTF?
The Pacific race is suddenly tightening up with the Oilers on a role lately, and the Flames slumping a bit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Oh, I also heard that Philly is going to make Yandle a healthy scratch tonight, ending his steak at 989. Coaches rational was they want to give some young talent/prospects the opportunity to get some NHL time in. Normally that’s fine and expected for non playoff teams this time of year. BUT 11 GAMES FROM A 1000 GAME STREAK!?!?!?!?  WTF.

Stay classy Philadelphia.

I get the "why now" thing, but you also have to look at the flip side, which is, why now?

Yandle has, from eye test to advanced metrics been one of, if not the absolute worst D-man regularly playing in the league this year. Frankly, by performance alone he should have been benched well before he ever broke the record. For a long time we sacrificed the good of the team over that record, so I have no problem with this happening now.

I thought you had that moniker reserved for Ristolainen?  :D

Heh, good jab, but here is how it honestly breaks down. Risto could be a 2-3m a year Dman through his prime in proper 3rd line or just above usage.

Yandle flat out isn't worth a roster spot on any team right now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Anguyen92

I wouldn't mind that the current streak is now being held by Phil Kessel.  Sure, from what I've read, he's not at his peak, but he should still be serviceable enough to play for a team next year, and crack 1000 games played in a row.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I wouldn't mind that the current streak is now being held by Phil Kessel.  Sure, from what I've read, he's not at his peak, but he should still be serviceable enough to play for a team next year, and crack 1000 games played in a row.

Using Yandle as an example though, if you are in any way a hopeful contender, so you sign Kessel knowing that it would be a PR disaster if he gets benches while the streak is still alive?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hampus Lindholm is fucking good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Calm with the puck and makes good decisions.

B's are 17-3-1 in their last 21 games. Crazy.

10-2-0 their last 12 road games.

Pasta reinjured his core issue.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He took a major chance on the GWG. If he whiffed, it would've been 2 on 0 going the other way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup but no one was really near him. What a great run.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Blues finally figured out how to play against a bad team. They are smacking the Coyotes around like they're Chris Rock.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blues finally figured out how to play against a bad team. They are smacking the Coyotes around like they're Chris Rock.

The Blues' wives...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
A hattie for Matty last night ties him with Vaive's all-time single-season goal record.  It could fall tonight in Sunrise.

Impressive win by the Leafs last night.  In the last week, they've beat Boston, Florida, and Tampa by a combined score of 17-8.  5 straight games with 5+ goals was the first time the franchise had done that since 1987.

Man, I was really hoping that CBJ found a way to squeak by the Bs.  :-\  They just keep finding a way to get 2 points.  The Leafs/Bolts/Bs all have a very similar strength-of-schedule left to go.

Gonna be a fun 3 weeks.  God it's good to be a hockey fan.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's one hell of 3 teams to beat going into the playoffs Chad.

Offline romdrums

Wondering if the Wings will give up 5 or more to the Bruins tonight.  With the way the Wings have been playing defense lately, Pasta and Marchand could both get hat-tricks tonight.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wondering if the Wings will give up 5 or more to the Bruins tonight.  With the way the Wings have been playing defense lately, Pasta and Marchand could both get hat-tricks tonight.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Pasta is out tonight.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Let's hope so.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Pasta is out tonight.

With the way the Wings are playing, I still wouldn't put it past him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like Pasta has been trying to play through cracked ribs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just got back from the Canes/Sabres game.  Soft effort by the Canes, with a couple of softie's given up by Freddie.  Hey Carolina ... that's "April" Freddie you saw.

And holy shit ... seriously, no lead is safe against Florida.  Can't wait to watch that highlight package.

Thankfully, Detroit did the unthinkable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
B's had 49 shots.  Just couldn't get it past Detroit's goalie who was playing poorly of late.  Except for this game.  LOL

Offline romdrums

B's had 49 shots.  Just couldn't get it past Detroit's goalie who was playing poorly of late.  Except for this game.  LOL

It's amazing what can happen when you score 5 goals rather than give up 5 goals.  I was ready for a 7-3 final score with the B's winning.  And yes, Pasta with the hat trick from the press box! Outside of Moritz Seider, the Wings defense is atrocious.  Nothing against Seider, who is proving to be a stud, but when a 20 year old rookie is already your number 1 D and it's not even close, you've got issues.  I'm really looking forward to seeing if Simon Edvinsson can make a similar leap next year.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

It's amazing what can happen when you score 5 goals rather than give up 5 goals.  I was ready for a 7-3 final score with the B's winning.  And yes, Pasta with the hat trick from the press box! Outside of Moritz Seider, the Wings defense is atrocious.  Nothing against Seider, who is proving to be a stud, but when a 20 year old rookie is already your number 1 D and it's not even close, you've got issues.  I'm really looking forward to seeing if Simon Edvinsson can make a similar leap next year.

That kid was impressive last night. Holy shit, he was everywhere.

To me, the Bruins biggest issue, not unlike a lot of teams, is goaltending. No matter who they play in the playoffs, their margin for error is very thin.

I said early on that the Leafs will MAKE NOISE in this year's playoffs. The B's will either play the Canes, or any of the other three teams in the Atlantic.
I'm going to be honest and say that I might be sleeping on Florida. I think I need to see it first.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The Panthers/Leafs last night was a battle of who could out-score their mistakes.  Both had 3PPG + 1 SHG.  Both got big points from their top-lines.  Both pulled their goalies.  Panthers out-lasted the Leafs.  Still, taking 3 out of 4 points from Tampa/Florida on a back-to-back.... I consider that a good swing thru the Sunshine State.

If they can take a point or two from Dallas tomorrow, that's a very successful road trip.

Online Anguyen92

^^ If the Leafs can get two against Dallas and not leave Dallas with a point, I would appreciate it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Panthers/Leafs last night was a battle of who could out-score their mistakes.  Both had 3PPG + 1 SHG.  Both got big points from their top-lines.  Both pulled their goalies.  Panthers out-lasted the Leafs.  Still, taking 3 out of 4 points from Tampa/Florida on a back-to-back.... I consider that a good swing thru the Sunshine State.

The wild card for Florida in the playoffs will be which Bobrovsky shows up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

The wild card for Florida in the playoffs will be which Bobrovsky shows up.

True.  His last 3 games ... Shutout-pulled-pulled.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I haven't seen much of FLA this year, so this is merely feelings: I see FLA as the Tampa from a few years ago. Likely win the president's trophy, and then get bounced in the first round. I think they've punched above their weight all season, and have players having career years *cough* Huberdeau *cough*. They'll be dangerous, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Huberdeau, Eckblad and Giroux at the Worlds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't seen much of FLA this year, so this is merely feelings: I see FLA as the Tampa from a few years ago. Likely win the president's trophy, and then get bounced in the first round. I think they've punched above their weight all season, and have players having career years *cough* Huberdeau *cough*. They'll be dangerous, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Huberdeau, Eckblad and Giroux at the Worlds.

I think that was them last year.  They weren't President's, but didn't they finish just behind the Canes for first in that mid-atlantic/South division?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
7/8 points is a successful road trip.  Man, Matthews is just so much fun to watch.  I think he's making a legit case for the Hart right now.  Lots of fun stats thrown out last night about the Leafs:

- on Jan 1, Marner was 95th in the league with 21 points.  He's now 6th with 89
- with 49 goals in his last 49 games, Matthews can be the first player since like the mid-90s to score 50 goals in 50 games if he scores against the Habs tomorrow.
- Matthews passes Jimmy Carson and Kevin Stevens to hold the single-season goal-scoring mark with his 56th last night.

And Roman Josi is making a helluva case for the Norris.  I have no recollection of Paul Kariya as a Predator, but Josi passed him as the franchise's single-season scoring leader.  With 87 points, he just might get to 100 this year.

^^ If the Leafs can get two against Dallas and not leave Dallas with a point, I would appreciate it.

They tried... but Pavelski had a sick deflection to tie it with a couple minutes left.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Their OT record is terrible, so they could conceivably be 4-6 points better in the standings if they were even average in OT this season as they seem to suck at 3 on 3, and more good news is that goes away in the playoffs

There are only (4) teams with more 5 on 5 regulation wins than the Blues this season right now so despite the horrific OT record.....once the playoffs start and the games stay 5v5 it bodes well for them. This team is dizzying to watch. Play great for stretches then look like they don't give a  :censored. Now, they're in a stretch where they look pretty dang good. I still don't expect a deep playoff run but also wouldn't be shocked if they surprised me. Who the F knows?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

They tried... but Pavelski had a sick deflection to tie it with a couple minutes left.

It's all right.  Kings didn't have quite enough in their last two games against Flames and Oilers and lost 3-2 in both of them.  How the swings have shifted.  Going from having to fend off Oilers for 2nd in the division to now hoping Vegas goes on a worst run in their last 10 games so that the Kings can seal 3rd, because I don't see how the Stars doesn't make it in a Wild Card spot despite their flaws.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The Rangers have a legitimate shot at winning the Metropolitan. This season has been the most incredible surprise. I knew they had talent and potential, but I never expected this.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Rangers have a legitimate shot at winning the Metropolitan. This season has been the most incredible surprise. I knew they had talent and potential, but I never expected this.

Just think.....Pavel Buchnevich has 24 G and 34 A  and is a +17 right now. Plus he's a top PK player with I believe 4 or 5 SH goals.  :biggrin:   I only tease because it's been one heck of a player for us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

It's all right.  Kings didn't have quite enough in their last two games against Flames and Oilers and lost 3-2 in both of them.  How the swings have shifted.  Going from having to fend off Oilers for 2nd in the division to now hoping Vegas goes on a worst run in their last 10 games so that the Kings can seal 3rd, because I don't see how the Stars doesn't make it in a Wild Card spot despite their flaws.

Yeah...my concern is that the Kings may be running out of gas as a team.  They're not getting the volume of shots that they had been getting, and they're looking comparatively slower.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Just think.....Pavel Buchnevich has 24 G and 34 A  and is a +17 right now. Plus he's a top PK player with I believe 4 or 5 SH goals.  :biggrin:   I only tease because it's been one heck of a player for us.

Losing Buch hurt, but at least he went to a team I like (Blues are one of my favorites), and the Rangers being one of the top teams in the East all season certainly helps. Let’s go Rangers and in the West let’s go Blues.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask