Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82844 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
... and then the Leafs go out and put together their best or 2nd best game of the season.  Complete team effort on both ends of the ice.

I hope that's the team that shows up tomorrow in beantown.

Fuck being a fan of this team is frustrating.  If they even grab 1/2 of those 11 missed points against the shit-kickers, then they're neck-and-neck with Florida for 1st.

And poor Detroit.  Wow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

Detroit looked like they were on the flight home halfway through the second.  Blashill needs to go, but I'm guessing Yzerman is waiting for the end of the season.  Wings are 3-10 so far this month, and getting blown out on the regular. After yesterday's debacle, they are now last in the league with a team GAA of 3.80.   :o
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

Well, a sound and solid win today for the Kings.  Two of the Kings' goals were scored by rookie defensemen this season (Sean Durzi and Jordan Spence).  It's a pretty good assurance when all of the Right Defensemen from opening night is injured and the team still has good enough options to somewhat carry on.  It does create a logjam for the offseason, especially when the Kings still has pretty good promising RD prospects in the pipelines.  Why couldn't some of these guys end up being LD.

Logjam, yes, but it's a good problem to have.  Some of these guys become trade capital, but I think Durzi is a guy they try to build around.  I've been impressed by his play all season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

Well, a sound and solid win today for the Kings.  Two of the Kings' goals were scored by rookie defensemen this season (Sean Durzi and Jordan Spence).  It's a pretty good assurance when all of the Right Defensemen from opening night is injured and the team still has good enough options to somewhat carry on.  It does create a logjam for the offseason, especially when the Kings still has pretty good promising RD prospects in the pipelines.  Why couldn't some of these guys end up being LD.

Logjam, yes, but it's a good problem to have.  Some of these guys become trade capital, but I think Durzi is a guy they try to build around.  I've been impressed by his play all season.

The Wings would gladly take Byfield off the Kings' hands if needed!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Anguyen92

We said the logjam is RD.  They can pile up all of the centers they want and those guys can play on the wing if needed.  Young offense-driven LD and high-scoring wingers (and maybe a decent goalie prospect down the line) are still what the Kings are looking for and I hope they can find that in the off-season.

Offline jammindude

Inaugural seasons are so much fun. Everything is a “first”

Tonight’s “first” is especially fun. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard the phrase “….and the Kraken are up by four!”  ;D :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

And now my first “Kraken up 5!”

I love finally having the NHL in Seattle!! ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Even when they win, St. Louis drops the ball - the only winning team NOT to score 6 goals last night.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

And now my first “Kraken up 5!”

I love finally having the NHL in Seattle!! ;D

Last night's game should make all of you Seattle hockey fans somewhat optimistic about where your team is going, although I'd like to believe it was just the Kings laying a massive egg.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's on like Donkey Kong tonight Chad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Dittomist

In addition to the Kraken having a rare celebratory night, the Buffalo Sabres gave their long-suffering fans a reason to smile by coming back from 0-4 and winning with 10 seconds to go on a fluky and hilarious goal that caused the Blackhawks goalie to smash his stick afterwards. Fun stuff!

Offline romdrums

In addition to the Kraken having a rare celebratory night, the Buffalo Sabres gave their long-suffering fans a reason to smile by coming back from 0-4 and winning with 10 seconds to go on a fluky and hilarious goal that caused the Blackhawks goalie to smash his stick afterwards. Fun stuff!

Anything that frustrates that rotten organization makes me smile! :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw that highlight.  Dude lost his shit - understandably so for that to be the winning goal with less than 15 seconds to go.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Boom
Shacka
Lacka

Except for Mrazek getting injured again.  Methinks he's done for the season, and potentially done for the Leafs.  I can see them trying to unload that contract over the summer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, the Leafs came out swinging and the B's were on their heels for the 1st 2 periods.  Enough to withstand the B's waking up a bit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Man, the Blues are a mess.  Fell behind quickly last night 4-1 to the Oilers and Binnington got yanked. The good news is that they fought back and tied it and got it to OT to get a point, but it is hard to see this team at this point as a serious playoff threat when the defense is this leaky.  Their OT record is terrible, so they could conceivably be 4-6 points better in the standings if they were even average in OT this season as they seem to suck at 3 on 3, and more good news is that goes away in the playoffs, but it's just hard to be optimistic about their chances right now.  My only hope right now is that they finish in the 2 or 3 slot in the division, as I would rather not get drilled by the Avs in the first round again.

Online Anguyen92

^^ I mean first Wild Card spot would be against the Flames but the Blues had a stinker and then a good revenge game against them.  Would you take your chances with that?
Avs would probably go against either Stars or Golden Knights at this rate.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I watched the extended highlights of that game last night - I’m not sure which was worse - the goaltending or the Defense. Both sucked ass.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, I also heard that Philly is going to make Yandle a healthy scratch tonight, ending his steak at 989. Coaches rational was they want to give some young talent/prospects the opportunity to get some NHL time in. Normally that’s fine and expected for non playoff teams this time of year. BUT 11 GAMES FROM A 1000 GAME STREAK!?!?!?!?  WTF.

Stay classy Philadelphia.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Oh, I also heard that Philly is going to make Yandle a healthy scratch tonight, ending his steak at 989. Coaches rational was they want to give some young talent/prospects the opportunity to get some NHL time in. Normally that’s fine and expected for non playoff teams this time of year. BUT 11 GAMES FROM A 1000 GAME STREAK!?!?!?!?  WTF.

Ah, the old NY Giants treatment.  Classic

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Ah, the old NY Giants treatment.  Classic

Actually, it's more like Babs/Modano

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, I'm not sure what's more shocking... the fact the Panthers were down 6-2 to the fucking Devils after 2 periods, or the fact they one 7-6 in OT.

No lead is safe with the Panthers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Interesting comparison...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's a big gap surprisingly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's the +98 to -4 rating that jumped off the screen to me. That and the 200+ hits.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Seriously.

Online Anguyen92

Whoop, whoop.  2-0-1 on the Canadian road trip against the Oilers, Flames, and Jets.  Tough competition there and the Kings found a way to get 5 out of 6 pts.  Now if only the other teams like Oilers, Golden Knights, and Stars just find a way to lose a little more.  Tomorrow's schedule does not look to be the case though, but you never know.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
On the McAvoy vs Hedman comparision... Think about the kinda team Boston and Tampa were for each of those first 300 games.  Hedman's Tampa team in 2010 was sub-.500; turned it around to get 103 points in 2011 (coincidence?); and then promptly went back to being a .500ish team in 2012 (coincidence?).  The Bolts were a combined -82 in Hedman's first 3 seasons (vs McAvoy's Bruins were nearly +200 in his first 4 seasons).  And he didn't have Chara as a line-mate in his rookie year, and McAvoy has never played a full 82 game season

I think McAvoy is more the exception than the rule in blossoming into an A-list goalie at his age.  Most defenders don't reach their peak/prime until the late 20s (or later - Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until his was 30).  Look, I'm not ragging on McAvoy - he's a Top-10 d-man in the league ... I'd sooner have him over Reilly.  But that comparison is cherry-picking, and hardly an apples to apples comp when you consider the situation of the teams each of those 300 games were played on.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:29:06 AM by jingle.boy »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Bit of a sleepy first period by the Leafs, but then they just out-classed the Flyers - thankfully not playing 'down' to their competition as they often do.  Hard to fault Hart on all of those goals, some were soft defence, others were just killer shots/plays.

And it was nice to have Montreal prevent Tampa from getting 2 points in a game featuring two former Blues goalies going head-to-head.  Speaking of the Blues, it seems they're following an old strategy the Leafs used to employ - out-score your mistakes.  Man, Markstrom had an off night (even though 2 of the goals were EN)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

I get the "why now" thing, but you also have to look at the flip side, which is, why now?

Yandle has, from eye test to advanced metrics been one of, if not the absolute worst D-man regularly playing in the league this year. Frankly, by performance alone he should have been benched well before he ever broke the record. For a long time we sacrificed the good of the team over that record, so I have no problem with this happening now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On the McAvoy vs Hedman comparision... Think about the kinda team Boston and Tampa were for each of those first 300 games.  Hedman's Tampa team in 2010 was sub-.500; turned it around to get 103 points in 2011 (coincidence?); and then promptly went back to being a .500ish team in 2012 (coincidence?).  The Bolts were a combined -82 in Hedman's first 3 seasons (vs McAvoy's Bruins were nearly +200 in his first 4 seasons).  And he didn't have Chara as a line-mate in his rookie year, and McAvoy has never played a full 82 game season

I think McAvoy is more the exception than the rule in blossoming into an A-list goalie at his age.  Most defenders don't reach their peak/prime until the late 20s (or later - Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until his was 30).  Look, I'm not ragging on McAvoy - he's a Top-10 d-man in the league ... I'd sooner have him over Reilly.  But that comparison is cherry-picking, and hardly an apples to apples comp when you consider the situation of the teams each of those 300 games were played on.

Well my intention was not to pimp McAvoy. I saw it on TV and I was kind of surprised at the comparison.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I get the "why now" thing, but you also have to look at the flip side, which is, why now?

Yandle has, from eye test to advanced metrics been one of, if not the absolute worst D-man regularly playing in the league this year. Frankly, by performance alone he should have been benched well before he ever broke the record. For a long time we sacrificed the good of the team over that record, so I have no problem with this happening now.

I thought you had that moniker reserved for Ristolainen?  :D

Online Anguyen92

On another note, one thing I keep track of weekly is this hockey analyst called JFresh and every week, he posts rankings of players and teams that have scored goals above/below what they are expected as well as goalies that have made saves above/below expected.  One ranking that the Kings has been dead last in for a couple of weeks is Goals Scored Above Expected which cements what a lot of people know about this team.  This team can't finish often along with other variables, but holy crap, this team is still somehow in this playoff hunt.  It's been a nice trip.  Almost a pot trip.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1510633397223366666

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking at the overall team +/- is pretty amazing in some respects.  Just goes to show it doesn't matter how much you win or lose by, just win.

Team / +/- / Points
Kings / +3 / 86
Isles / +4 / 73
Jets / -2 / 76
Canucks / -3 / 73

Or the teams with comparable points to the Kings
Preds / +25 / 82
Caps / +28 / 84
Blues / +44 / 86
Flames / +67 / 89

Oh, and a comp on the Flames ... Canes are +66 but have 98 points.

Like I said, doesn't matter how much you win by, just win.

Busy day in the NHL today - 9 games on a Sunday, and the Panthers are the first time clinching a playoff spot.