Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82937 times)

Offline jammindude

When I was in my early 20s, I was big into the WHL team in Spokane. We ALWAYS got the seats in the section right next to the penalty box. I can’t speak for NHL crowds because I’ve never been to an NHL game. But at the minor league level, that entire section was a very different breed. We were absolutely like a WWE crowd. Unruly, a bit obnoxious, absolutely relentless when an opposing player ended up in the box. We were definitely the reason some of those kids tried to jump the barrier.

I mean, I’m 52 and pretty level headed these days…but 30 years ago I almost have to laugh at how over the line that entire section of people were.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

So I thought these were fucking cool as hell:

https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-third-jerseys-designed-by-justin-bieber/c-332087670

Then I found out Justin Beiber "designed" them - so now I hate them.

Going back to this.  I thought they were doing two different jerseys.  I didn't realize that the one on the right was the inside of the jersey of the left.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, I was wondering why the numbers were backwards on the sleeve.

Just goes to show that every Maple Leaf is a little Bruin on the inside.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

:lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

:umno:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 ;D

I'm amazed that Florida is still in First Place. Andrew Brunette has done a great job. I thought they'd be in trouble when Joel Quennvile resigned.
I keep waiting for Tampa to take them over, but it hasn't happened.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
;D

I'm amazed that Florida is still in First Place. Andrew Brunette has done a great job. I thought they'd be in trouble when Joel Quennvile resigned.
I keep waiting for Tampa to take them over, but it hasn't happened.

Tampa is no longer the feared monster they were the past few years. Point has been a bit of a bust this year. Of course, that could all change come playoff time, but they're in a bit of a funk atm.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

Tampa is no longer the feared monster they were the past few years. Point has been a bit of a bust this year. Of course, that could all change come playoff time, but they're in a bit of a funk atm.

48 games played, 23 goals and 45 pts.  Who in the hell calls that a bit of a bust?  If a player like that plays at that pace for the Kings, he would be their best player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Poor Gary is having to witness another lovely performance by Binnington live.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

48 games played, 23 goals and 45 pts.  Who in the hell calls that a bit of a bust?  If a player like that plays at that pace for the Kings, he would be their best player.

My use of the word "bust" was relative, not absolute.  Given his past performances, and current expectations, less than a point-per-game average has to be considered under-performance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Poor Gary is having to witness another lovely performance by Binnington live.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

That was brutal. He literally should only start on the second game of back to backs. He’s just pathetic. Now his team didn’t do him any favors but I’m sure it was because they knew he’d let in three softies as usual so why even try?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That was brutal. He literally should only start on the second game of back to backs. He’s just pathetic. Now his team didn’t do him any favors but I’m sure it was because they knew he’d let in three softies as usual so why even try?

Ooof.  Losing that bad to the Flyers is painful - trust me, I know (the Leafs have had some bad losses to the bottom feeders lately).  I just watched the highlight package
1st goal against - hard to fault Binnington.... it was a perfect shot.  The team was soft as shit on a hot summer night to allow let that easy of a breakout and entry into the Blues zone. Blame is on the 5 skaters.
2nd goal - everyone gets a piece of the blame.  Juicy assed rebound, but terrible coverage all around by the skaters.  Great job by Parayko to bang the Flyer into the crease and disrupt Binnington.   :tup
3rd goal - full on Binnington swiss chees.
4th goal - brutal coverage
EN - Tarasanko just out-worked for the puck.

The opening line from the nhl.com recap says it all - "The Philadelphia Flyers ended their 13-game road skid with a 5-2 win against the St. Louis Blues at Enterprise Center on Thursday."

Ooof.

P.S.  Martin fucking Jones was the opposing goalie too.  Triple-ooof.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree Chad.....it wasn't 'all' on Binnington but the team simply looks and plays better in front of other goalies. There's something to be said about that. Binnington's 'moxy' and cockiness was cool when he was lights out in 19', it's easy to stomach when you're backing up what your swagger is laying down. But, his attitude remains while the output is ugly.

The Blues have beat all the top teams this year and have looked unstoppable at times but they are massively guilty to 'playing down' to their opponent. Take a peek at this stat...

Blues' vs bottom-10 teams ...

Binnington (4-5-1)
NYI: 0-1
CHI: 2-0-1
PHI: 1-1
NJ: 0-1
OTT: 0-1-0
AZ: 1-1

Husso (5-1-2)
DET: 0-1
CHI: 1-0
BUF: 1-0
NJ: 0-0-1
OTT: 1-0
SEA: 2-0
MTL: 0-0-1

Lindgren (2-0)
DET: 1-0
MTL: 1-0

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
"The Philadelphia Flyers ended their 13-game road skid with a 5-2 win against the St. Louis Blues at Enterprise Center on Thursday."

That's not even the best way to look at this particular oof.

Winning in St. Louis yesterday was the first road win for the Flyers in 2022.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
"The Philadelphia Flyers ended their 13-game road skid with a 5-2 win against the St. Louis Blues at Enterprise Center on Thursday."

That's not even the best way to look at this particular oof.

Winning in St. Louis yesterday was the first road win for the Flyers in 2022.

:(

As I mentioned before....I think this team has a good chance at a first round win....which I hope for not for the players but more for the owner Tom Stillman because he's just a class act that does whatever it takes for the Blues to be competitive.....but, should they pull off the first round 'W' that's about as far as it'll go. Honestly, I think this might be the year for Colorado as much as I detest them but they're just too talented to not make a deep run eventually....right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The tough part about looking at the 2nd string goalie record is how many times that game is night 2 of a B2B, with the additional factor of many of those being a travel day.  Thos games are very difficult to win, even if the goalie is bringing his A-game.

Offline pg1067

Got another Kings game with Leah Hextall last night.  I think my ultimate conclusion is that I'm not a fan.  And what they hell happened to Linda Cohn?  In the heyday of ESPN, she, along with Dan Patrick, was cream of the crop.  She was the "between the benches" person last night and did fine in that completely unneeded role, but she also did interviews between periods and asked the same inane questions as everyone else.  I know she's a big hockey person, so I expected better.

All that said, and while getting the one point was nice, the Kings needed to be better against an also-ran Chicago team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I agree Chad.....it wasn't 'all' on Binnington but the team simply looks and plays better in front of other goalies. There's something to be said about that. Binnington's 'moxy' and cockiness was cool when he was lights out in 19', it's easy to stomach when you're backing up what your swagger is laying down. But, his attitude remains while the output is ugly.

The Blues have beat all the top teams this year and have looked unstoppable at times but they are massively guilty to 'playing down' to their opponent. Take a peek at this stat...

*snip*

I have nothing but love for Berube, but playing down to your level of competition is usually coaching, IMO (in just about any team sport).  Simply put, Berube and his staff need to do a better job this season of getting the Blues "up" to play the bad teams.

Offline jammindude

Got another Kings game with Leah Hextall last night.  I think my ultimate conclusion is that I'm not a fan.  And what they hell happened to Linda Cohn?  In the heyday of ESPN, she, along with Dan Patrick, was cream of the crop.  She was the "between the benches" person last night and did fine in that completely unneeded role, but she also did interviews between periods and asked the same inane questions as everyone else.  I know she's a big hockey person, so I expected better.

All that said, and while getting the one point was nice, the Kings needed to be better against an also-ran Chicago team.

Ya…can I just state for the record that “in game” interviews (across all sports) is about the dumbest trend that the networks have ever invented? I’ve never heard anything but canned answers and canned responses that distract from the actual game and contribute nothing at all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Got another Kings game with Leah Hextall last night.  I think my ultimate conclusion is that I'm not a fan. 

She was on the Bruins broadcasts on NESN a few years ago, and I thought she was awful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Got another Kings game with Leah Hextall last night.  I think my ultimate conclusion is that I'm not a fan. 

She was on the Bruins broadcasts on NESN a few years ago, and I thought she was awful.

Did these broadcasters cut their chops in the juniors/minors like all good announcers (frankly every profession ... players, refs, coaches, etc...) or are they being thrown in the booth primarily due to their lack of an x chromosome?  They need to hone their craft just like any male commentator/reporter.  I just looked up Leah Hextall's wiki ... her first PbP gig was in 2018 (where she did a total of 4 games).  She's never done PbP commentary as a full-time gig.  I do recall hearing her once call a Jets game for Sportsnet, and wasn't too impressed with her capability.  So yeah, it doesn't seem her hiring is based on experience or qualifications.

The CBC/Sportsnet crew has one female on color, and a few studio commentators, including Caroline Cameron as a host during the week - she's fantastic.  I've got no problem with the ladies on the mic, they just have to do a good job.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Did these broadcasters cut their chops in the juniors/minors like all good announcers (frankly every profession ... players, refs, coaches, etc...) or are they being thrown in the booth primarily due to their lack of an x chromosome?  They need to hone their craft just like any male commentator/reporter.  I just looked up Leah Hextall's wiki ... her first PbP gig was in 2018 (where she did a total of 4 games).  She's never done PbP commentary as a full-time gig.  I do recall hearing her once call a Jets game for Sportsnet, and wasn't too impressed with her capability.  So yeah, it doesn't seem her hiring is based on experience or qualifications.

The CBC/Sportsnet crew has one female on color, and a few studio commentators, including Caroline Cameron as a host during the week - she's fantastic.  I've got no problem with the ladies on the mic, they just have to do a good job.

I've found with football there are quite a few female commentators that I like. With hockey that has... not quite been the case.

Flyers have Taryn Hatcher, who is awful and over several seasons has barely improved from her first broadcast. The other night on ESPN+ they had Hilary Knight, who is a great player, but was just terrible on that. She looked tense and out of place delivering the most basic, and I'm assuming pre-written lines of dialog.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

Ya…can I just state for the record that “in game” interviews (across all sports) is about the dumbest trend that the networks have ever invented? I’ve never heard anything but canned answers and canned responses that distract from the actual game and contribute nothing at all.

I don't mind the between periods interviews.  Those have been happening as long as I can remember.  They're never particularly eye-opening, but they're not bad either.

That's the thing.  They're being rushed to the highest stage because of their gender (and, in Hextall's case, because  of who her father is).  It's too bad.

I've found with football there are quite a few female commentators that I like. With hockey that has... not quite been the case.

Flyers have Taryn Hatcher, who is awful and over several seasons has barely improved from her first broadcast. The other night on ESPN+ they had Hilary Knight, who is a great player, but was just terrible on that. She looked tense and out of place delivering the most basic, and I'm assuming pre-written lines of dialog.

I can't think of any female in-the-booth announcers who have impressed me.  Of course, I can't think of a ton in the first place, but yeah...they do need to cut their teeth rather than being given top level gigs just because.  I think A.J. Mlesko (sp?) is pretty good.  I also saw Hillary Knight in the studio with Steve Levy and Mark Messier.  She seemed starstruck to be sitting next to Messier and barely spoke except when Levy would say, "and what do you think, Hillary?"  Michelle Tafoya was excellent at what she did.  Alanna Rizzo did a great job as the Dodgers' "sideline" reporter for a number of years.  Those are the sorts of people who should be getting opportunities in the minors to see how they do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I must say that I love watching Mark Messier on these broadcasts. He is one cool motherfucker.

And while Chelios looks fantastic for 60, he's out of his league. I feel like he just shows up and wings it, while Messier is actually paying attention.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hilarious that Dadanov got the OT winner. Dude is turning into a champ before our eyes.

And would someone flicking beat Boston already!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hilarious that Dadanov got the OT winner.

After being named First Star, he should've skated around with two middle fingers aimed at the GM's suite.

Cee you next Tuesday.  ;D

Should be a great game!

Offline Anguyen92

Hilarious that Dadanov got the OT winner. Dude is turning into a champ before our eyes.

Wow.  Bruins, while never really out of the playoff picture at all, was just sitting in the shadows, slowly picking up the pts. Now they just seems to just crank up the heat and wins since post-All Star break.

Does the Leafs want the Panthers, Bruins, or the Hurricanes?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
or the Bolts?

Offline Anguyen92

Well, a sound and solid win today for the Kings.  Two of the Kings' goals were scored by rookie defensemen this season (Sean Durzi and Jordan Spence).  It's a pretty good assurance when all of the Right Defensemen from opening night is injured and the team still has good enough options to somewhat carry on.  It does create a logjam for the offseason, especially when the Kings still has pretty good promising RD prospects in the pipelines.  Why couldn't some of these guys end up being LD.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So the Habs are the first team officially bounced from the playoffs, and they promptly get the best goaltending game of the year from Allen.  You know you've dominated a team when you out-shoot them 2:1 ... the Leafs outshot the Habs 3:1 last night.  And now they get Florida tonight.  From the game summary "It was the most saves Allen has made in an NHL regular-season game and the most by a Canadiens goalie in a regular-season game against the Maple Leafs since 1955-56, when shots on goal began being officially tracked."  Like fuck... this is the 5th or 6th game a normally ordinary goalie played like the second coming of Marty Brodeur against the Leafs.

They are really going to regret the 11 points they've left on the table against AZ, Buf, and Montreal since January - 0-5-1 against those three teams.

Wow.  Bruins, while never really out of the playoff picture at all, was just sitting in the shadows, slowly picking up the pts. Now they just seems to just crank up the heat and wins since post-All Star break.

Does the Leafs want the Panthers, Bruins, or the Hurricanes?

I'd be surprised if anyone catches Florida, so it's looking like it's a tossup between the Bolts, Bruins, or Canes.  Neither is an appealing option.  Bruins would be best I think, but should they not win the round, it would be the biggest gut-punch in all of hockey history for Toronto fans.  I certainly wouldn't want to go up against the 2-time defending champs who - while looking beatable this year - still have Vas, Headman, Kuch, Point, and Stammer.  And Carolina is just solid top-to-bottom, with probably the best coach in the conference.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, Allen is what he is, but he played a great game against the Bruins last week which the Bruins won in OT. The Hanns had no business being in that game. He’s been playing great lately as has the team. Winning record under St. Louis.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As for some of the other games last night, if you didn't see the extended highlight package of FLA/OTT, go watch it.  The OT was RIDICULOUS.  Bobs and Forsberg were both incredible.

Edmonton... what the actual fuck?  I mean, I know Calgary is a very good team, but as entertaining as those first 2 periods were (I bailed at 1am), that was just a lot of bad defence and goaltending.  The Flames look like they might be able to give Colorado some actual competition.  That would be an amazing WCF given the way both teams are playing right now.  I mean, Calgary has a better +/- than Colorado (albeit by 1).

Gary/Kev... were the Blues as bad as the score would suggest?  I mean, two EN goals, so hard to tell looking at the stat sheet.

Chad, Allen is what he is, but he played a great game against the Bruins last week which the Bruins won in OT. The Hanns had no business being in that game. He’s been playing great lately as has the team. Winning record under St. Louis.

They've been playing decent - they're 4-3-3 in they're last 10.  And that's kinda the point ... the Bruins found a way to get 2 points.  The Leafs didn't.  The Habs just unloaded some key players, and shouldn't have been a team that hangs with the Leafs.  The Tavares line has been sucking ass lately - the team has been far too reliant on Matthews/Marner/Bunting, and it shows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I didn't see the game last night, but my cousin, who is usually the eternal optimist when it comes to the Blues, texted me during the game and said the Blues were making him sad, so it had to have been as ugly as the score.  As he is the one going with me to a game in 12 days, we joked that they need to get it together by then.  :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes Chad. They were that bad. They don’t look good at all. Lots of independent contractors skating on the ice right now…..no team thing going at all. I may have to amend my ‘first round win’ to ‘lucky to make wild card’ pretty soon.

The defense is just brutal. It’s painfully obvious now that…..while he’s not a super tier stud…..Petrangelo was the foundation that the Blues defense was built on. They, like me….believed Paryako could fill that void even if only at 85-90% of what Petro did…..but that was a huge assumption to make and it’s clear now just how special a defenseman Petro was. Our team D has been in shambles ever since he left for Vegas.

Having watched what it takes first hand with the Blues in 19’ to win the cup they aren’t even sniffing the surface of being close to deep playoff run competitive. They have flashes of it….but those are illusions. 

Online Dittomist

The Blues are looking absolutely dreadful and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they missed the playoffs considering how many Western teams are fighting for the wildcard spots right now. Yeah, they are missing Petro a great deal, but also Bouwmeester. At least there is still time to turn things around and for Binnington to get his swagger back when it matters the most. They were helped out a little last night by Dallas losing in one of the most exciting games I've seen all season. I hope somebody makes a compilation of all of the wide open empty nets the Stars have missed at close range this season--it's crazy!

If I were a Maple Leafs fan, the very last thing I'd want to do is lose yet another round against Boston, who are once again looking like serious cup contenders.