Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82832 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Major trades, continued.

Leafs get Giordano along with Blackwell from the Kraken for a 2022 and 2023 2nd and a 2024 3rd. With Giordano the center piece here it seems like a lot for an older D rental, seems like they may have missed out on Lindholm and went on to a fallback plan.

I actually don't think so.  Up until mid-Feb, Brodie/Reilly had been the top pair (including all of last season), and a great tandem.  Keefe broke them up, shuffling a few different partners for Reilly, and their defence struggled in turn (coupled with Muzzin's injury).  Part of me wonders if there's been a plan in the works to target Giordano (and pairing him back up with Brodie) for a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

Regarding Fleury, I think he had a modified no-trade clause, and I don't think he considered Edmonton or the rumored Toronto to be an option at all.  Wild had a good pickup there and set up nicely for him to get one more shot at a deep run.

As for the Dadonov trade between Ducks and Golden Knights, that's quite a mess.  Dadonov had a modified-NTC where he didn't want to get traded to the Ducks and apparently the Golden Knights didn't know what list of teams he didn't want to go to, but did the trade anyway.  Apparently, the Senators (the original team that traded Dadonov to Vegas) may have dropped the ball in not providing the list.  The trade could end up getting voided because of this confusion.  Also, Ryan Kessler's contract, that the Ducks somehow still has, that's been on injury reserved (not LTIR since the Ducks didn't need to use it to go over the max cap hit) was involved in the trade as well.

Offline crazy climber dude

As for Lehkonen, I'd say he's quite a fiesty and pesky little fucker.  Kinda like Marchand, without all the point.  It's a good get for a 3rd/4th liner.

Thanks for the info. Kind of what I was thinking as well. Look forward to seeing how much he can help in the playoff environment (as well as with the veteran Cogliano). Perhaps another shrewd move by Joe Sakic.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Regarding Fleury, I think he had a modified no-trade clause, and I don't think he considered Edmonton or the rumored Toronto to be an option at all.  Wild had a good pickup there and set up nicely for him to get one more shot at a deep run.

As for the Dadonov trade between Ducks and Golden Knights, that's quite a mess.  Dadonov had a modified-NTC where he didn't want to get traded to the Ducks and apparently the Golden Knights didn't know what list of teams he didn't want to go to, but did the trade anyway.  Apparently, the Senators (the original team that traded Dadonov to Vegas) may have dropped the ball in not providing the list.  The trade could end up getting voided because of this confusion.  Also, Ryan Kessler's contract, that the Ducks somehow still has, that's been on injury reserved (not LTIR since the Ducks didn't need to use it to go over the max cap hit) was involved in the trade as well.

For Dadonov, what makes it crazy to me is that IF Vegas truly did not have a list because something wasn't properly filed, and the counted on moving him for cap space, can you now punish them and force him to stay by negating the trade? If the Senators are at fault somehow, do they get penalized? I just don't see any way to resolve this with all parties being treated fairly and happy.

Didn't follow the Fleury story closely enough to see what teams he may or may not have nixed, but that's interesting he wouldn't potentially do Toronto or Edmonton.

Chad, thanks for those updates. Honestly, out of the East, I think Toronto still has a tough time getting to the finals. That said, my big question for you... after moved and the season thus far, do the Leafs finally make it out of the first round?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll echo the Fleury-to-Toronto rumours ... word around here was that he himself nixed that - and I don't blame him, nor think that's what this team needed.

It's gonna be a slog for whoever does make it out of the East.  Those are 8 dynamite teams.  As for the Leafs, I don't know which is preferable - a round one matchup with Tampa, Boston, or Carolina.  All look to be very viable options at the moment.  *Can* they make it out of Round 1 - sure.  *Will* they ... Who knows.  Every Round 1 matchup is gonna be tough.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So I thought these were fucking cool as hell:

https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-third-jerseys-designed-by-justin-bieber/c-332087670

Then I found out Justin Beiber "designed" them - so now I hate them.

Offline Anguyen92

It does looks pretty nifty.  I like the one on the right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I'm with Kev about being torn up over Sundquist leaving. The dude is a jack of all trades and when healthy is the engine of the team. He had double hip and knee surgery over the off season and everyone knew that a full recovery on that to be back at full form was a good year of playing. He was definitely playing below his capability this season but still has a year on his contract and I'd have liked to see how he faired next season after a full recovery. IF he returns to form that trade is utterly brutal for the Blues and a steal for Detroit....heck....considering that all we got was Leddy I'd say it's already a steal.

I'm actually fine with Armstrong not throwing away pics or young talent to get into the rental sweepstakes of the folks who were available. Publicly he'll say that he believes in this team and that we didn't need this or that but he and anyone who's watched the Blues this season know that the Blues can probably win round one....and then after that they're a tune up for a team who's going to make a deep run. It's unfortunate because this is probably the most talented and dynamic group of forwards they've had in two decades....by end of season they'll have (8) 20 goal scorers....but our defense is just wretched. No grit or fight....bunch of sissies actually. So, at least he retained some bargaining chips for the summer and I'll just hold out hope they catch fire at the right time....otherwise it's a one and done for them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-third-jerseys-designed-by-justin-bieber/c-332087670

The jersey on the right looks too much like Boston colors for my comfort.  Might as well put Chief Blackhawk on a Wings jersey!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with Kev about being torn up over Sundquist leaving. The dude is a jack of all trades and when healthy is the engine of the team. He had double hip and knee surgery over the off season and everyone knew that a full recovery on that to be back at full form was a good year of playing. He was definitely playing below his capability this season but still has a year on his contract and I'd have liked to see how he faired next season after a full recovery. IF he returns to form that trade is utterly brutal for the Blues and a steal for Detroit....heck....considering that all we got was Leddy I'd say it's already a steal.

I'm actually fine with Armstrong not throwing away pics or young talent to get into the rental sweepstakes of the folks who were available. Publicly he'll say that he believes in this team and that we didn't need this or that but he and anyone who's watched the Blues this season know that the Blues can probably win round one....and then after that they're a tune up for a team who's going to make a deep run. It's unfortunate because this is probably the most talented and dynamic group of forwards they've had in two decades....by end of season they'll have (8) 20 goal scorers....but our defense is just wretched. No grit or fight....bunch of sissies actually. So, at least he retained some bargaining chips for the summer and I'll just hold out hope they catch fire at the right time....otherwise it's a one and done for them.

Eight 20-goal scorers is impressive.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

The jersey on the right looks too much like Boston colors for my comfort.  Might as well put Chief Blackhawk on a Wings jersey!

Yeah, I don't care who designed them, the one on the left is excellent. The one on the right, can't judge it as a Leafs jersey, it immediately takes me to the Bruins as well.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Anguyen92

It's quite telling when people see black and yellow on a jersey, they immediately think Bruins rather than Penguins.

Offline romdrums

It's quite telling when people see black and yellow on a jersey, they immediately think Bruins rather than Penguins.

If it was a black and yellow pacifier, I'd be more inclined to go Penguins. :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Eight 20-goal scorers is impressive.

Current Totals:

Kyrou - 22 Goals, 38 Assists
Tarasenko - 20 Goals, 34 Assists
Buchnevich - 19 Goals, 28 Assists
Barbachev - 19 Goals, 25 Assists
Perron - 21 Goals, 19 Assists
Schenn - 17 Goals, 22 Assists
Saad - 18 Goals, 16 Assists
O'Reily - 13 Goals, 26 Assists
Thomas - 12 Goals, 36 Assists

So, you have 7 pretty much certain......with O'Reily and Thomas with legit shots to get to 20. Forwards have been great this season and the PP has been fun to watch. This team is actually guilty all the time for 'over' passing the puck....it looks great but they get caught up with these sweet passes instead of one of them just burying the F'n puck  >:(   It's bit them in the  :censored a few times.

Online pg1067

The blue one is pretty cool.  The other one looks as much like a Bruins jersey as anything else.  Also, the leaf looks like a face with two eyes and the word "LEAFS" as a mouth, and the left and right sides of the leaf looks like arms extended in celebration.  It's a happy little leaf!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Left is cool. What pg said about the yellow version is spot on. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Back in the 80s and 90s, when he was relevant, Don Cherry used to have this series of videos call Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey.  Every year he'd put out a 'best of'.  This was back in the time before every sports channel and nhl.com had highlight packages out the ying yang.  Anyway, one year he did a video on 'unbeatable' records - which almost all that I remember him highlighting, are still unbroken.  The only one I can think of that was broken was Brodeur beating Sawchuk's all-time shut out record.  You know, the usual records ... Orr's +128; Gretzky's 92 goals, and 50-in-39; Glen Hall's 502 consecutive games played.  One I also remember him highlighting (naturally), was the 77/78 Bruins having 11 20-goal scorers.  ELEVEN!!  At the time, I didn't think much about it, but that's every player on the top 3 lines, and 2 defencemen.  That's insane!

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Back in the 80s and 90s, when he was relevant, Don Cherry used to have this series of videos call Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey.  Every year he'd put out a 'best of'.  This was back in the time before every sports channel and nhl.com had highlight packages out the ying yang.  Anyway, one year he did a video on 'unbeatable' records - which almost all that I remember him highlighting, are still unbroken.  The only one I can think of that was broken was Brodeur beating Sawchuk's all-time shut out record.  You know, the usual records ... Orr's +128; Gretzky's 92 goals, and 50-in-39; Glen Hall's 502 consecutive games played.  One I also remember him highlighting (naturally), was the 77/78 Bruins having 11 20-goal scorers.  ELEVEN!!  At the time, I didn't think much about it, but that's every player on the top 3 lines, and 2 defencemen.  That's insane!

Yeah, 11 20+ goal scorers is unbeatable. I remember the sharks had something like 6 or 7 in their prime years during the mid-000's, and that was pretty exceptional.

Teemu's 76 rookie goals is also unbeatable in an era where nobody scores 70 in a season, let alone a rookie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, 11 20+ goal scorers is unbeatable. I remember the sharks had something like 6 or 7 in their prime years during the mid-000's, and that was pretty exceptional.

Teemu's 76 rookie goals is also unbeatable in an era where nobody scores 70 in a season, let alone a rookie.

Florida has 6 already, and as Gary's pointed out, 7 is virtually certain for the Blues.  Few other teams have got 5 already with a good shot at 7.

Speaking of unbreakable records, I thought it was comical earlier in the season when people were saying Makar might beat Coffey's 48 goals.  I don't see that ever being broken.

Offline romdrums

Sundqvist with a goal and an assist in his first game with the Wings.

Offline Anguyen92

Well, that was a fun game between the Kings and Predators.  To me, it almost felt like a playoff game (which is fine, since these kids this team is icing needs to know how to react to the pressure of it).  The Predators was playing a pretty fast, and heavy and hard kind of game from the 2nd onwards after the Kings scored the 1st three goals.  I'm honestly surprised that Predators didn't play Saros after he saved 46 shots in the last time these two teams met.  He played the day before against the Ducks.  All four forward lines played a solid enough game and knew their roles against this Predators team.  Kempe had two goals (one of them was an empty net with 7 minutes left in the game).  Byfield had two goals (one of them was where the goalie was really out of position and after that goal, there was still 6 minutes left in the 3rd).  Things are clicking which is fine with me while this team is waiting for guys to come back from injury.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Vegas is in quite the free fall - out of the wildcard spot this morning. Tampa is also in a bit of a funk, and could find themselves in the wildcard spot by the weekend. He East is fucking tight for all 8 spots, and the West WC race is gonna be fun to watch

20ish games to go for most teams. It’s good to be a hockey fan!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Agreed.  Sundqvist is one of those "he does a little bit of everything" guys, and brings toughness, which is key in this sport, and you hate to lose a gritty player like that.

I get them wanting to get help on D, though, for sure.  As much as we have talked at length about Binnington's struggles, there are far too many games where our goalie, whether it is Binnington or Husso, is left hanging out to dry far too often to where goals are allowed and you are like, "Where is the help in front of him?"  I love seeing so many guys on the team pitching in when it comes to scoring, but you can't go far in the playoffs being that leaky defensively.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Agreed.  Sundqvist is one of those "he does a little bit of everything" guys, and brings toughness, which is key in this sport, and you hate to lose a gritty player like that.

I get them wanting to get help on D, though, for sure.  As much as we have talked at length about Binnington's struggles, there are far too many games where our goalie, whether it is Binnington or Husso, is left hanging out to dry far too often to where goals are allowed and you are like, "Where is the help in front of him?"  I love seeing so many guys on the team pitching in when it comes to scoring, but you can't go far in the playoffs being that leaky defensively.

Amen brother .. this as been the Leafs' issue the past 2 months.  You can only "outscore your mistakes" so many times, and it's sure as shit a losing strategy come playoff time.

Online pg1067

Well, that was a fun game between the Kings and Predators.  To me, it almost felt like a playoff game (which is fine, since these kids this team is icing needs to know how to react to the pressure of it).  The Predators was playing a pretty fast, and heavy and hard kind of game from the 2nd onwards after the Kings scored the 1st three goals.  I'm honestly surprised that Predators didn't play Saros after he saved 46 shots in the last time these two teams met.  He played the day before against the Ducks.  All four forward lines played a solid enough game and knew their roles against this Predators team.  Kempe had two goals (one of them was an empty net with 7 minutes left in the game).  Byfield had two goals (one of them was where the goalie was really out of position and after that goal, there was still 6 minutes left in the 3rd).  Things are clicking which is fine with me while this team is waiting for guys to come back from injury.

That Byfield goal was such a horrible play by the goalie.  He had no business being that far out on that play.  I missed most of the first period.  Took me a while to realize the game was only on ESPN+.  Things really could have taken a turn for the worse when the Preds got that early goal in the 2nd, but the Kings did a great job of weathering the storm in the 2nd and first part of the 3rd.  I don't see the Kings catching Calgary, but I think there's enough of a cushion between them and Vegas that we'll be looking at a series with Edmonton for the first time since the old Smythe Division days.

Speaking of ESPN+, what does everyone think about Leah Hextall?  It took a few minutes to adjust to having a female voice calling the game, and I think I like her voice in most instances.  However, there seemed to be some hesitation in her call, and her voice shot up an octave when action started around the net.  It was almost like she was surprised.  Really like Ray Ferraro as a color commentator.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

So the NHL made it official, they have voided the Dadonov trade from Vegas to Anaheim due to Anaheim being on his Modified-NTC list.  They are going to treat this as if the trade never happened.  That was two days that led to this result.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
They don't have to be pretty, a W equals 2 points - and the Leafs leapfrog Tampa (for the moment - they have a game in hand).  I would've hoped for a more dominating game against the 7th place team in their division coming off of a back-to-back and travel day, but once again they hit a hot goalie.  Thankfully, they did just enough offensively (2 shortie's), and got the job done defensively (1 of those SH goals was on a 4-minute kill).

Montreal on Saturday... they better crush them.  Habs unloaded a few key players, and the Leafs need to stay hungry.  I'm gonna lose my shit if they drop this one.

An uncommon regular-time loss by the Avs (at home no less), and Buffalo topples the Pens in OT.  Strange night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Get to attend the Blues vs Flyers tonight in the Company suite! Opens at 5:30 for dinner and then get to enjoy the game from luxury I suppose. Looking forward to it. This is one of those nights when I was drinking that'd I'd have made sure to take full advantage of the open bar  :lol   I'll slam a soda or two (which I normally don't drink) just to make it all worth it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Get to attend the Blues vs Flyers tonight in the Company suite! Opens at 5:30 for dinner and then get to enjoy the game from luxury I suppose. Looking forward to it. This is one of those nights when I was drinking that'd I'd have made sure to take full advantage of the open bar  :lol   I'll slam a soda or two (which I normally don't drink) just to make it all worth it.

Woot! Go Blues!

Because I support you and want you to be happy.

And not because I'm looking for a good draft pick. No, not that at all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Woot! Go Blues!

Because I support you and want you to be happy.

And not because I'm looking for a good draft pick. No, not that at all.

:lol   Of course not!  Funny thing is the last time I was at the Enterprise Center was sitting in a corporate suite (my sis in law took me with her company) to watch the 2020 All Star game. Shortly after this thing happened....you may have heard of it.....covid....and well.....haven't been to a game since.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Have fun, Gary!  :tup :tup

My cousin and I are going to the Wild game on the 8th next month, so I am looking forward to that. Will be my first Blues game in years.  :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
jingle.son and I are going to the Sabres/Canes game on the 5th.  Canes are his 2nd fave team, and we were supposed to go to the game in Ottawa on 1/27th, but Omicron kibosh'd that.  We have seats on the glass at one of the blue-lines.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
We have seats on the glass at one of the blue-lines.

Glass seats area  blast  :metal 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I love pounding on the glass.  So much fun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC