Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80785 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pretty sure Ulmark has a no movement. I don't even think they can send him to Providence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You can say that now Chad but I'm talking off season.  They should have not given Ulmark the contract.  Let the kid play. He was fantastic in the 10 games the season before. More money freed up instead of tied up with a Goalie, that will be the backup if Tuuka hits stride.  Also, they new Tuuka would be back at some point this year  so ride it out.

On principle, I agree.  In practicality, the goalie options were limited.  IIRC, by the time they got to Ullmark, all the better options were gone - Anderson, Mrazek, Grubauer.  The next best options ... Reimer? Ranta? Holtby?  Ridditch?  Martin fucking Jones??

Statistically, he was worth about $5M-ish, known to be able to handle a #1 role, and was worth the 'risk' to see how he could produce on a good team.  Ullmark was probably the best option available to them.  Maybe they can unload him to Edmonton, or another team that needs a better #1?

Stay with the 2 Rookies. Dan Vladar who they lost in the draft. 

Pretty sure Ulmark has a no movement. I don't even think they can send him to Providence.

Adding to the insult.  Now we are stuck with him for 4 years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Yeah, right.  No team that wants to contend for the Cup is going to go into the season with two inexperienced goalies.  Then you end up having two goalies the quality of MacKenzie Blackwood and Carter Hart.  Sweeney would've be lit up by the media and fans.  I don't understand what draft you guys lost Vladar in?  Sweeney traded him for a 3rd round pick.  Was he going to be exposed in the expansion draft and feared to be lost, so he got moved for *something*?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
No, I had on the brain the expansion draft. Still, they knew Tuuka was coming back so why sign a 4 year, no trade clause deal?  Sign a vet for 1 or 2 to get you by, not cause a log jam in that area.  It's like they planned on moving on from Rask, then figured out Ulmark was not what they thought so here's Rask!!

Sweeney has been suspect with this team.  Look at the opportunity gone wrong here with guys in their prime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
No, I had on the brain the expansion draft. Still, they knew Tuuka was coming back so why sign a 4 year, no trade clause deal?  Sign a vet for 1 or 2 to get you by, not cause a log jam in that area.  It's like they planned on moving on from Rask, then figured out Ulmark was not what they thought so here's Rask!!

Sweeney has been suspect with this team.  Look at the opportunity gone wrong here with guys in their prime.

What if they were in 10th place come the time for Rask's return?  What if Rask wasn't 100% upon his return.  Contingencies man... that's what Ullmark's signing was.  Ideally, he could've/should've been gotten for a 2-3 year term, and closer to $4M AAV.  But, beggers can't be choosers.  On the flip-side, Ullmark is 6 years younger than Rask.  Father time will catch him.  Maybe the plan is for Ullmark to be the 1a option while Rask is 1b for the next 3 years?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, right.  No team that wants to contend for the Cup is going to go into the season with two inexperienced goalies.  Then you end up having two goalies the quality of MacKenzie Blackwood and Carter Hart.  Sweeney would've be lit up by the media and fans.  I don't understand what draft you guys lost Vladar in?  Sweeney traded him for a 3rd round pick.  Was he going to be exposed in the expansion draft and feared to be lost, so he got moved for *something*?

I said Vladar was shipped off.  ;D

Personally, I thought the Ulmark signing was a good one. I did support it. There was no way to know how Tuukka was going to respond. His original timeline had him coming back mid March. Now he's back in two months sooner.

Personally, I'd have kept Vladar in Providence. He was one of THREE 2nd round picks in that brutal 2015.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I get it but why not a vet with a shorter deal?  At some point you have to go with a rookie goalie.  Trust me, ask Tim.  Lot's of questions here about Sweeney's drafting and moves.

For example, the 2015 draft where they had the 13 through 15th pick in the first round.  The worst case scenario was for them to draft 3 times in a row, which happened.  2 of the 3 have asked to be traded.  Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary Senyshyn.  Zboril they only one not asking out.

Zac Rinaldo for a 3rd round pick.  Ugh.

I could go on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I get it but why not a vet with a shorter deal?  At some point you have to go with a rookie goalie.  Trust me, ask Tim.  Lot's of questions here about Sweeney's drafting and moves.

For example, the 2015 draft where they had the 13 through 15th pick in the first round.  The worst case scenario was for them to draft 3 times in a row, which happened.  2 of the 3 have asked to be traded.  Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary Senyshyn.  Zboril they only one not asking out.

Zac Rinaldo for a 3rd round pick.  Ugh.

I could go on.

And Debrusk and Senycheyn (sp) each asked for trades this year. Everyone questioned them taking Senycheyn (sp) with that pick. He was playing third line on McDavid's team. This is another example of Sweeney thinking he's the smartest guy in the room.

Don't forget, they not only had 3 picks in the first round, they also had three in the 2nd round! Carlo who is one of the best players taken that round, Vladar, and JFK, who is now back in Sweden.

He also took Trent Frederic with a 1st round pick. WTF??

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Guys ... fan can bitch about WTF moves their  team/GM made.  Like why the fuck did the Leafs trade Rask for "Red Light" Raycroft?!?!?

Don't get Schecter started.  HE could go on and on.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Before my wife broke her wrist last month, the two of us had planned to spend a couple of days in Philly next week, centered around a Red Wings-Flyers game.  We were just notified that it has been postponed.  We already received our hotel refund, maybe the same will hold true for our game tickets.

I know they postponed their game against Carolina last night.  Nothing on the Flyers website as to their scheduled games in between......

EDIT:  Well, it was on the Red Wings website, dated January 5th!  Nice that we were not notified until the 11th....

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:18:12 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Guys ... fan can bitch about WTF moves their  team/GM made.  Like why the fuck did the Leafs trade Rask for "Red Light" Raycroft?!?!?

Don't get Schecter started.  HE could go on and on.

Well....we did have Chiarelli as GM for 3 or 4 years, after all. No need to elaborate any further.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
And that’s why they play the games. 2-1 regular time loss .... not the first time the Leafs have been stonewalled by a no-name goalie who all of a sudden becomes the second coming of Dominic Hasek for one night. Damn that kid made some ridonkulous saves.

Let’s call that one a “character building” game.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Marchand with 7 goals in the last 3 games. Plus a hockey nose tp add. Rub some dirt on it and get back in there.

Offline jammindude

Ok Kev and gmiller....we're head to head tonight.

As Blues fans, and experienced hockey fans, I hope you can give me your objective opinion on what the hell we're doing wrong.

I didn't see last nights game against the Stars, but most of the other games I've seen we seem to be **just this close** to having it go the other way.   But we've been losing so consistently, that I'm forced to admit that it must be more than that.  I'm just missing something.

We're scrappy.  We definitely create opportunities, we just can't seem to capitalize on most of them.  :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ok Kev and gmiller....we're head to head tonight.

More like head to headcase tonight.

As Blues fans, and experienced hockey fans, I hope you can give me your objective opinion on what the hell we're doing wrong.

It's the refs. The refs must be against you.

Offline jammindude

urm....wut?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Those are what they're responses are going to be.

Offline jammindude

Ah.   :rollin :rollin :rollin

For a second, I was like..."Did I piss off Tim somehow somewhere?" 

But honestly.  I feel like a newb and I'm not too proud.   So I don't mind if those with more experience than me pick apart the Kraken and objectively explain to me (as a newcomer) what on earth is going on. 

I didn't expect the playoffs.   But we're literally worst in the league and it doesn't *feel* like we're playing like the worst team in the entire NHL. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My advice to you would be if you're playing the Blues tonight, don't try and talk to Gary until at least Saturday. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
But honestly.  I feel like a newb and I'm not too proud.   So I don't mind if those with more experience than me pick apart the Kraken and objectively explain to me (as a newcomer) what on earth is going on. 

J-Dude, no worries. Hockey is a great game. You guys are an expansion team. Guess what. Expansion teams are never successful. Somehow Vegas made it to the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago, but that is the exception.

The Kraken play hard, and that's expected. Guys are fighting for jobs, but there's just never enough talent on expansion teams for success.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
My advice to you would be if you're playing the Blues tonight, don't try and talk to Gary until at least Saturday. :lol

Nailed it

And Saturday, it’s the Leafs v Blues.

J-Dude, no worries. Hockey is a great game. You guys are an expansion team. Guess what. Expansion teams are never successful. Somehow Vegas made it to the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago, but that is the exception.

The Kraken play hard, and that's expected. Guys are fighting for jobs, but there's just never enough talent on expansion teams for success.

Vegas was a one in a thousand chance. Everything that could go right, did. No expansion team in any sport ever in our lifetime will have this kind of success.

And The Kracken are not the worst in the league. Close, but there’s a few that are worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Kraken are a scrappy bunch and put up a good fight, but eventually succumbed to the team that will inevitably win the Cup later this spring.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:36:55 AM by KevShmev »

Offline jammindude

Guys…there is no ‘c’ in Kraken.  ::)  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

Jammin, if it makes you feel any better, I don't feel good about the game on Saturday, Kings vs Kraken.  The Kings have won really decisively over the Rangers and Pens in the last two games.  Most of their wins, this season, comes from East Coast teams.  Kings are like 50-50 against the Pacific and hasn't really fared that great against the Central.  I feel like this is going to a trap game for them and that the Kraken is due for a win.

On the plus side, this is a good day.  Kings won decisively against a pretty good team and some of the key teams behind them (Sharks and Flames) lost.  The playoff picture looks to be locked up for the East, but not in the West.  I'm sweating as there could be five teams right behind the Kings that can catch up to them if all goes well for them.

Offline jammindude

Jammin, if it makes you feel any better, I don't feel good about the game on Saturday, Kings vs Kraken.  The Kings have won really decisively over the Rangers and Pens in the last two games.  Most of their wins, this season, comes from East Coast teams.  Kings are like 50-50 against the Pacific and hasn't really fared that great against the Central.  I feel like this is going to a trap game for them and that the Kraken is due for a win.

On the plus side, this is a good day.  Kings won decisively against a pretty good team and some of the key teams behind them (Sharks and Flames) lost.  The playoff picture looks to be locked up for the East, but not in the West.  I'm sweating as there could be five teams right behind the Kings that can catch up to them if all goes well for them.

I think it’s going to be a close game. Most of our games have been. And their play tonight against a red hot Blues team gave me hope. I really felt like they played them much stronger than anyone expected…even if we didn’t quite pull it off.

I think our biggest problem is Grubauer…which I can’t believe I’m even saying. When I heard the hype about him before the season started, I was really excited about the season. But I’ve watched nearly every game, and he has absolutely NOT lived up to his hype. Meanwhile, Driedger has been playing his ass off with far better results, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why they are still giving Grubauer the bulk of the starts.

But… it’s just our first season.

And I want to reiterate. I was NOT seeking a playoff birth our first season. I just was hoping to not be dead last in our division. I thought it was a reasonable hope.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Guys…there is no ‘c’ in Kraken.  ::)  :lol

Damn it.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

And The Kracken are not the worst in the league. Close, but there’s a few that are worse.

The Kings will play the Kracklen for the first time on Saturday.  Looking forward to it, in no small part because the Kings are playing REALLY well right now.

Oddly, the Kings have played fewer games against the Pacific Division (7 with a 3-3-1 record) than against any of the other three divisions (10 against the Atlantic with an 8-1-1 record, 8 against the Metro with a 4-4-1 record, and 12 against the Central with a 3-6-3 record).  Obviously, that means the second half of the season will be heavy with intra-divisional and intra-conference games, and the Kings are going to have to keep doing what they've done since Christmas if they want to move up in the standings.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
All the Canadian teams in the pacific are slowing things down since the league stopped Canada based home games. Oil haven't played since Jan 5th. They've got 4 or 5 games in hand on all the California teams,  so they should hopefully climb the standings once games resume.

That's also assuming they get the heads out of their asses

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

???

So after the Bruins play the Preds in the afternoon, they have to play the Leafs at night? They do doubleheaders in hockey?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

???

So after the Bruins play the Preds in the afternoon, they have to play the Leafs at night? They do doubleheaders in hockey?

You read as good as King types!!   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin

Oh my God, I'm fucking blind. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
What, thu Fuque.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Crazy back and forth game tonight in STL, as the Leafs snag one on the road.  Winning goal was a weird one, but hey it all counts, right? The Blues need to tighten up defensively, but love seeing the young guys continue to produce on the score sheet.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I’ll never get tired of watching the Rangers beat the Flyers. It’s not as personal as beating the Islanders or Devils, but seeing a team from Philly get put in their place always brings a smile to my face.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask