Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80883 times)

Offline romdrums

So is this what it’s like playing the Penguins? Home cooked calls to make sure they don’t get embarrassed?

See the 2008/2009 Stanley Cup Finals.  The league worked hard to get Crosby his first Cup!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
So is this what it’s like playing the Penguins? Home cooked calls to make sure they don’t get embarrassed?

See the 2008/2009 Stanley Cup Finals.  The league worked hard to get Crosby his first Cup!

That was against the Red Wings though, so it worked for me.  :tup :tup

But, ribs aside, bad officiating is just that: bad officiating.  While I do think certain teams and stars are more likely to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls (in all team sports), there is no conspiracy.   It usually really is as simple as bad officiating.

Offline romdrums

That was against the Red Wings though, so it worked for me.  :tup :tup

But, ribs aside, bad officiating is just that: bad officiating.  While I do think certain teams and stars are more likely to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls (in all team sports), there is no conspiracy.   It usually really is as simple as bad officiating.

Haha! I thought it would.  :tup:

Everything around that Cup final was a shit show.  The league moved it up a week because NBC asked them to, and because both Conference Final series were anti-climactic.  At the end of Game 2, as the Wings were about to take a 2-0 series lead, Evgeni Malkin decided to instigate a bunch of shit with Henrik Zetterberg, and should have, according to the rules, been given an automatic one game suspension.  The league voided that suspension.  At one point in either Game 3 or 4, the Penguins had 7 skaters on the ice, with no penalty.  In fact, one of the referees just gave them a warning.  The media, led by noted Penguins and Blackhawks fanboy Eddie Olczyk, were totally in the bag for the Penguins, and really pushed the narrative of a burgeoning Penguins dynasty, and made it seem like the Wings were being rude for standing in the way of Crosby and the Penguins coronation as The Next One.  Olczyk in particular was harping about the Wings "subtle interference" and "1-minute minors" that made it seem like the Wings clutched and grabbed their way to back to back Cup finals appearances.  I'm generally not a conspiracy believer, but it sure seemed the league really, really, really wanted to get Crosby a Cup to fit the narrative that he was the next anointed one, when he was, honestly, the 4th best center in that Cup Final (Malkin was playing out of his mind in that playoff).
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
So how is it that the league hasn't even been able to get McDavid out of the 2nd round then??  Or MacKinnon to a Conference Final :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
So how is it that the league hasn't even been able to get McDavid out of the 2nd round then??  Or MacKinnon to a Conference Final :biggrin:

Their fellatio skills are lacking....just not on the same level as Sid the Kid.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

No superstar in the league has taken such physical abuse from his opponents that Crosby. I don't know what you have against him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

No superstar in the league has taken such physical abuse from his opponents that Crosby. I don't know what you have against him.

Are you new around here?  Gary has something against every successful person/team  that doesn't have a Blues logo on their chest.   :lol :lol

P.S.  Luv ya Gare.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Are you new around here?  Gary has something against every successful person/team  that doesn't have a Blues logo on their chest.   :lol :lol

P.S.  Luv ya Gare.

BUT.....despite my distain for every player that isn't a Blue  ;) .....the altercation Crosby had with Mikkola the other night is a perfect example of him being a baby just because he was played well defensively AND the fact that he continually gets away with stuff like that. The announcers said that was only Sids third penalty this year but you know damn well he does crap like this every game. How many two handers do you see here and slashes? Mikkol does nothing here but defend himself...and well I might add.

Crosby may get the crap beat out of him but lets not forget or forgive the fact the dude gets away with murder also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpx9vuMmeQ

Offline pg1067

Seems like that was a big win for the Blues.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Not really. At that point in the game the Blues were controlling the game and were up 2-0. After that the Penguins got all in a tizzy because 87 was touched and it woke them up a bit....Blues were outscored 5-1 after that moment.

No need to go into the questionable officiating after that because it happens to all our teams all the time. Very inconsistent officiating a lot of the time this season. But the Penguins did receive 7 power plays to the Blues one which was way too lopsided considering what was happening on the ice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Crosby may get the crap beat out of him but lets not forget or forgive the fact the dude gets away with murder also.

Why would you use that video? The Blues player crosschecked him first.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Why would you use that video? The Blues player crosschecked him first.

I think your idea of a cross check and mine differ greatly. What Mikkola did to him as he crossed the front of the net is done on every single play by D men when protecting the house. And, the was zero force behind it. It was a bracing push with nothing to it. The retaliation from Sid the infant was the instigating factor there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A bracing push? :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
And lord knows what abuse Sid took leading up to that - not just in that game, but years and years of it.  He's certainly been a more chippy player in his later years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I've thought Crosby has been a cheap shot artist for decades so seeing blood on his face pleases me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

Crosby has been getting pretty frustrated at times when it comes to stuff like this.  I think I saw a tweet of a gif where he threw a Capitals player to the boards after he dumped the puck.  Didn't get called for that.

McDavid is starting to get to that point as well.  In a Kings/Oilers game, he boarded Adrian Kempe, drew blood around the lip area, got a 5 min. major, and a game misconduct.  Kempe ended up scoring on that power play to put the nail in on that game.  That was around the start of the Oilers bleeding games.

Offline pg1067

Not really. At that point in the game the Blues were controlling the game and were up 2-0. After that the Penguins got all in a tizzy because 87 was touched and it woke them up a bit....Blues were outscored 5-1 after that moment.

Fair enough, but 9/10 times, trading just about anyone on most teams for Crosby is a win.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

The Evander Kane with the Sharks saga is over.  They have terminated the contract "for breach of his NHL Standard Player Contract and for violation of the AHL COVID-19 protocols."  Apparently, no cap penalty for the Sharks.  Wow.  I hope he sorts his issues out.

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/statement-from-sharks-regarding-evander-kane/c-329592480

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1479895416128868352

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
The Evander Kane with the Sharks saga is over.  They have terminated the contract "for breach of his NHL Standard Player Contract and for violation of the AHL COVID-19 protocols."  Apparently, no cap penalty for the Sharks.  Wow.  I hope he sorts his issues out.

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/statement-from-sharks-regarding-evander-kane/c-329592480

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1479895416128868352

Kings did similar with Mike Richards, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kane fights it and in the end the Sharks see a cap hit / payout of an amount lower than it would have been. That said, with how much Kane has shot himself in the foot I don't think he'll have much leverage, so maybe he just goes away.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

Well, in the case of the Kings, this seems more similar to the Voynov termination also in that same year (not a fun year for the Kings) where the guy did something stupid and it led to a contract termination where they don't have to pay the guy anymore and it doesn't count in the cap hit anymore.

Yeah, I don't see how much leverage Kane has to get some sort of settlement of what's left to pay.  I guess that's up to the NHLPA to find out.   They can file a grievance which is how Richards got the settlement and how the Kings has a minor cap hit on that contract still.

On August 10, it was announced that the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) had filed a grievance on behalf of Richards to contest the termination.[35] On October 9, 2015, the Kings announced a settlement with Richards, thus making him a free agent.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:07:13 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Well, the Blues were the beneficiary of some atrocious officiating today. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Say it Gary! SAY IT GARY!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lol.

B's seem to be finding their stride. Let's hope they continue this play.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Say it Gary! SAY IT GARY!!

:lol

Offline Anguyen92

Well, read that Tuukka Rask has resigned with the Bruins for the rest of the season for $1 million.  People in Boston seems to be polarized when it comes to this guy.  From this outsider viewpoint, I think he still wants to be there and would not want to go anywhere else (he hung around in their practice facilities after recovering from surgery, was actually a EBUG at Boston, I believe he signed a PTO with their AHL team to get back in the fray).  All I can say is good luck with that.

Also, I heard some murmurs that Evander Kane is going to sign with the Oilers soon, days after his contract termination with the Sharks.  Oilers organization plays quite a confusing approach in building a team when they have two of the very best players in the game.  I know that Kane, despite his off-ice baggage, is still a good on-ice player, but how many GMs are going to play the "this time it's going to be different because he's in our team"?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I don't think there's wheels to that Kane to Oilers noise. I hear the Leafs were talking to him, as well, so my guess this is just a bunch of hockey writers speculating and hoping they get a hit so they look good.  Not too difficult to look at the sliding Oilers and think there'd be a fit for a sizeable winger with a scoring touch.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Then again we traded Hall for Larsson straight up, drafted Nail Yakupov 1st overall, and, more recently,  signed Mikko-fucking-Koskinen to a multi-year deal the day before firing the GM. Nothing would surprise me

Offline Anguyen92

I mean at least Yakupov gave you guys this moment.  It was against the Kings though in a early in the season game in 2013, I think.  That was to tie the game in the last seconds btw, not win it.  They were to proceed to win it in OT though and thought the Oilers was going to be fine.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure whether to be happy, or annoyed with the Leafs.  On the one hand, they played like ass for 4 out of 6 periods, and blew a couple of 2-goal third period leads.  On the other hand, they played 2 great periods out of 6 and had a 2-goal lead in the third against both the Avs and Knights on the road, despite ending up on the wrong end of more than a few borderline officiating calls - and came out of the two games with 3 out of 4 points.

I think the last point is the key takeaway.

Hadn't heard any rumblings of Kane coming to Toronto, and I sure as shit hope he doesn't.  I can't see how his baggage isn't going to be toxic in any Canadian hockey town/media circus.  Carolina should take a flyer on him - things have worked out well for the team with DeAngelo.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, read that Tuukka Rask has resigned with the Bruins for the rest of the season for $1 million.  People in Boston seems to be polarized when it comes to this guy.  From this outsider viewpoint, I think he still wants to be there and would not want to go anywhere else (he hung around in their practice facilities after recovering from surgery, was actually a EBUG at Boston, I believe he signed a PTO with their AHL team to get back in the fray).  All I can say is good luck with that.

Must look weird as hell from the outside. Basically, they let his contract run out at the end of last year. I think Tuukka is taking it year to year at this point, but the thing is is that he had a bum hip that required surgery this off season. Seems he and the Bruins had an agreement that he would come back if/when he was ready at an extremely team friendly deal.  Rask has stated that he will only play for the Bruins, or move his family back to Finland and play there, similar to what Krecji just did. I think that's the end game anyway. But he said he's not moving his family around the country just to play in the NHL.

The Bruins were also playing two rookies at the end of last year, Jeremy Swayman (who is projected to be the team's next #1) and Dan Vladar, who was shipped off to Calgary I think when the team signed Linus Ullmark to a FA contract in the off season. Seemed Ullmark was signed to have a veteran presence as insurance in case Rask didn't come back.

Rask signed the PTO with Providence to really just get some games in. He is not "trying out". With the AHL Covid issues, the Bruins are taking a chance and bringing him right back to Boston. He's been rehabbing at the Bruins' facility the whole time.

Unfortunately, Swayman got sent down to make room, and apparently was not happy about it. But I think Ullman's contract is extremely restrictive about what the B's can and cannot do with him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Which begs to question why did they give Ullman a 4 year deal with. what was it, 5 million a year if they knew Tuuka would be back?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don Sweeney has to go would be the answer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Which begs to question why did they give Ullman a 4 year deal with. what was it, 5 million a year if they knew Tuuka would be back?

If Ullmark was playing better than Swayman, this wouldn't be a question at all.  The fact Swayman has performed better (statistically) is where the rub is.  No team is going to assign a contract like Ullmark's to the minors (well, except Ottawa ... but that was also to get Murray some playing time, and get back in NHL shape). The risk of losing Ullmark off waivers, or that Swayman doesn't maintain that level of performance outweighs his fee fees of being pissed that he gets sent down despite his strong performance.  An 8-6-2 record (including 1-2-2 in the last 5 starts) in your 2nd year in the league record doesn't give you a lot of leverage as a 23 year old.  Ullmark's 4-1 in his last 5.  Suck it up buttercup.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can say that now Chad but I'm talking off season.  They should have not given Ulmark the contract.  Let the kid play. He was fantastic in the 10 games the season before. More money freed up instead of tied up with a Goalie, that will be the backup if Tuuka hits stride.  Also, they new Tuuka would be back at some point this year  so ride it out. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You can say that now Chad but I'm talking off season.  They should have not given Ulmark the contract.  Let the kid play. He was fantastic in the 10 games the season before. More money freed up instead of tied up with a Goalie, that will be the backup if Tuuka hits stride.  Also, they new Tuuka would be back at some point this year  so ride it out.

On principle, I agree.  In practicality, the goalie options were limited.  IIRC, by the time they got to Ullmark, all the better options were gone - Anderson, Mrazek, Grubauer.  The next best options ... Reimer? Ranta? Holtby?  Ridditch?  Martin fucking Jones??

Statistically, he was worth about $5M-ish, known to be able to handle a #1 role, and was worth the 'risk' to see how he could produce on a good team.  Ullmark was probably the best option available to them.  Maybe they can unload him to Edmonton, or another team that needs a better #1?