Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80884 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Olympics in China possibly in Jeopardy?
« Reply #490 on: December 14, 2021, 09:40:11 PM »
Blues have really held it together well since losing Binnington and Faulk for two weeks, and just got Faulk back and won a big game in Dallas tonight. The season could have gone off the rails in the first half of December, but it has gone the opposite way.  If this team can stay healthy (by hockey standards) and not getting ravaged too much by COVID, they will be a force again come playoff time.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #491 on: December 14, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
I wish i could say the same for the Oilers, who've definitely fallen off the rails. 6 game losing streak, and I'm pretty sure they've given up the first goal in each one.  Or first 3, like tonight's game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #492 on: December 14, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
Blues have really held it together well since losing Binnington and Faulk for two weeks, and just got Faulk back and won a big game in Dallas tonight. The season could have gone off the rails in the first half of December, but it has gone the opposite way.  If this team can stay healthy (by hockey standards) and not getting ravaged too much by COVID, they will be a force again come playoff time.

Binnington then our backup Husso….we e been using AHL goalies for a week now. Plus Schenn, Kyrou, Bozak, Perron are out or we’re all out at one point. Just ravaged by Covid and injuries yet have continued to win games. It’s a testament to Berube and our depth for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #493 on: December 14, 2021, 10:55:37 PM »
Almost pulled off a shutout. But Drieger looked amazing tonight against the Sharks.

I wonder if this seals the deal for Drieger over Grubauer? Drieger has won 3 straight games and an over .900 in saves. Gru OTOH has really struggled.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #494 on: December 14, 2021, 10:57:38 PM »
Thanks for beating the Sharks.  I just say that in general.  Didn't catch the Kings/Bolts game.  At least, they lost in OT rather than get smoked.  Had a lead twice and lost it both, but great teams find ways to win from behind, so here we are.

On another note, this Pacific Division has gotten a bit more interesting compared to the start of the season.  Ducks are on top.  Oilers are on the downhill at the moment.  Canucks are making it interesting with 5 wins in a row.  Golden Knights are still in it despite trading for Eichel and can't play him for a few months.  Flames is playing Darryl Sutter hockey very well for the most part.  Kings are ebbing and flowing and if they catch a hot streak, can't count them out yet.  Sharks aren't as garbage even though their stars are on the aging side of things.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:06:47 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2021, 05:52:27 AM »
I wish i could say the same for the Oilers, who've definitely fallen off the rails. 6 game losing streak, and I'm pretty sure they've given up the first goal in each one.  Or first 3, like tonight's game.

The TSN coverage said so, and in four of them, they fell down 2-0.  They look really bad right now.  Can't even blame it on the defense/goaltending - when the team is only putting 1 or 2 in the basket themselves.  Shut down McJesus/Draisaitl, and you shut down the Oilers. 

It was nice (for me) to see the Leafs get back on track with their D-game after having given up 22 goals in the last 5 games.  Leafs first to get to 20 wins, though they also lead the league in overall games played.

Dear god does Montreal look bad, and wth Ottawa.  Pounding both Florida teams by an aggregate of 12-2.   :omg:

I agree... the Pacific has been far more more interesting than I think anyone expected.

@ Kev/Gary... lookin forward to the Blues/Leafs game next week.  The 'next generation' games are always a blast.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
@ Kev/Gary... lookin forward to the Blues/Leafs game next week.  The 'next generation' games are always a blast.

That's all our games have been recently and it's been fun to watch. Those call ups are doing really well....happy for them for sure. There's a couple players making a case to stay put. But I know that consistency is the issue for the young kids and while they've been playing well this stretch of games it's the old question of can they sustain it? Being a 'pro' hockey player is as much how you handle the day to day preparation and mental approach as it is talent. There are countless talented players who are not playing on any professional level right now because they couldn't figure out how to truly become a pro.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: December 15, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »
 :lol :lol  Not exactly what I meant ...

Every year, the game before the Christmas is an afternoon affair, and there's a ton of promotion around attracting the "next generation" of fans.  It's all about kids.  Season ticket holders often donate their seats; the broadcast team uses this 13-ish year old girl to do the in-rink reporting; the arena has a kid do some of the announcements.  They get kids in ref outfits to take the pre-drop skate.  It's a whole 'thing' and event all day long.  Here's a one-minute highlight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nlPupZEgE

The last one was in 2019, and the Leafs won 8-6 against the 'Canes... it was an amazing and exciting game to watch.  Leafs were up 3-0 after the first 5 minutes; gave up the next 5 goals, then scored three in about a minute in the third to cap off the victory.  Here's the Game-in-5 package - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roEYMvo61SY.  it's worth it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: December 15, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »

Every year, the game before the Christmas is an afternoon affair, and there's a ton of promotion around attracting the "next generation" of fans.  It's all about kids.  Season ticket holders often donate their seats; the broadcast team uses this 13-ish year old girl to do the in-rink reporting; the arena has a kid do some of the announcements.  They get kids in ref outfits to take the pre-drop skate.  It's a whole 'thing' and event all day long.  Here's a one-minute highlight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nlPupZEgE

The last one was in 2019, and the Leafs won 8-6 against the 'Canes... it was an amazing and exciting game to watch.  Leafs were up 3-0 after the first 5 minutes; gave up the next 5 goals, then scored three in about a minute in the third to cap off the victory.  Here's the Game-in-5 package - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roEYMvo61SY.  it's worth it.

Oh?  :lol    I thought perhaps the Leafs were as ravaged by covid and injuries as the Blues are. Yet...somehow....the Blues are two points out of first and only 5 off of the best point total in the NHL. It's been an odd few weeks watching them but these young 'no namers' are just doing their best 'next man up' impression and winning games.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #499 on: December 15, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »
Thanks for beating the Sharks.  I just say that in general.  Didn't catch the Kings/Bolts game.  At least, they lost in OT rather than get smoked.  Had a lead twice and lost it both, but great teams find ways to win from behind, so here we are.

I got home from work after it was over but didn't know the score, so I turned on the replay.  Unfortunately, they "skipped ahead due to time constraints" and didn't show both Kings goals!  Regardless, the Kings played very well and definitely deserved the point.  The OT period was very exciting, but the Kings got burned on a second 3-on-1 in the span of about 90 seconds.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #500 on: December 15, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »

That's super cool.

The Kings, on the other hand, had Snoop Dog night last week.  He introduced the starting lineups (and mispronounced at least one player's name).  He also was on mic for about half the first period.  Not only was he an idiot, but Alex Faust (PBP) and Jim Fox spent about half of that time verbally jerking Snoop off.  Utterly embarrassing stuff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #501 on: December 15, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
Honestly, regarding Snoop Dogg (I personally don't mind him.  The team knew what they are getting to get when you involve him in any part of the broadcasting.  Lots of ramblings and probably some pot references, etc.), the Chrome helmets, Staples becoming Crypto.com Arena, and this team having ups and downs so far, it's not really all sunshine right now.  I just want this team to play up to what they can be more consistently.  I can ignore all of the external marketing factors if that happens.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #502 on: December 15, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »

That's super cool.

The Kings, on the other hand, had Snoop Dog night last week.  He introduced the starting lineups (and mispronounced at least one player's name).  He also was on mic for about half the first period.  Not only was he an idiot, but Alex Faust (PBP) and Jim Fox spent about half of that time verbally jerking Snoop off.  Utterly embarrassing stuff.

I don't suggest getting EA Sports NHL 20 then.  For some reason, they brought Snoop Dogg in for that, and it is the same kind of thing.  He comes in for commentary in the 2nd period in random games, and the play by play guy is more or less gargling Snoop's nuts.  It's ridiculous.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #503 on: December 15, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
This honestly speaks more of how bad the NHL is at marketing if they are resorting to Snoop Dogg to get some attention.  I'm not dissing Snoop's credibility as a hockey fan.  He's probably a fan of like 4-5 teams for various reasons, but the league has major marketing issues if they are thinking to bring him in to bring more eyeballs in in some ways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #504 on: December 15, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »

Binnington then our backup Husso….we e been using AHL goalies for a week now. Plus Schenn, Kyrou, Bozak, Perron are out or we’re all out at one point. Just ravaged by Covid and injuries yet have continued to win games. It’s a testament to Berube and our depth for sure.

Absolutely.  This team is a really fun one to root for right now.  :hat :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: December 16, 2021, 04:12:57 AM »
Word is Flames are gonna be on the shelf until after Christmas. 
Preds are dangerously close to having to suspend games as well.

It's gonna get bad.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #506 on: December 16, 2021, 06:26:55 AM »
Latest report i saw was 27 Flames players and staff treated positive.  Makes the Vancouver outbreak last season look mild

Offline pg1067

« Reply #507 on: December 16, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

That's super cool.

I don't suggest getting EA Sports NHL 20 then.  For some reason, they brought Snoop Dogg in for that, and it is the same kind of thing.  He comes in for commentary in the 2nd period in random games, and the play by play guy is more or less gargling Snoop's nuts.  It's ridiculous.

No worries there.  The most recent video game system I have is a PS3.  Even if the game is available for PS3, I've never played a hockey video game I've actually liked.  For me, it has always devolved into button spamming and getting into fights because that's more fun than the actual game.  But pretty much all of the marketing that the NHL and the Kings do (at least what I see in SoCal) is dumb AF (and I probably can't comment too much because a lot of it would belong on the political board).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: December 16, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
3 more cases in Calgary - 2 players; 1 staff.  That makes 18 players.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: December 16, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »
3 more cases in Calgary - 2 players; 1 staff.  That makes 18 players.

Oof.

All these teams are 100% vaccinated also. So they've done what was asked.

I know the recent covid bug that hit the Blues most of the players have said their symptoms were non existent.....and their first games back looked like they hadn't missed a beat. Goes kind of in lock step from what is being found out/reported that the vaccinated are really the 'group' that are spreading covid like wild fire.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: December 16, 2021, 02:51:24 PM »
Yup.  Omicron is a bitch.  Been reading up a little on it now, considering what's going on here in Ontario.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #511 on: December 16, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
Well, Doughty is in the protocol list.  The Kings Defensemen is already pretty darn thin as it is when it comes to reliability.  Edler is out for a long while.  Doughty is on protocol.  Going to be interesting how today's game against the Panthers are.  They have a lot a fair amount of their main guys on the protocol list as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #512 on: December 16, 2021, 04:03:34 PM »
No fans allowed in Montreal for the Habs/Flyers game? WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #513 on: December 16, 2021, 04:05:32 PM »
Quebec is going hard when it comes to restrictions I think in the Canadian provinces.  In Ontario, they are just cutting capacity in half for Leafs, Raptors, and Sens games.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #514 on: December 16, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »

Canada is about to get hit with a 5th wave of covid, so many jurisdictions are implementing new measures to try to slow down Omicron. Mind you, I live in the Texas of the north, known locally as 'Berta, so we're doing the opposite. But I digress...

I'm definitely starting to think the Olympics aren't going to happen vis a vis NHL players in attendance. I'm sure the IOC is hoping and praying for Jan 10th to come and go without a peep.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: December 16, 2021, 04:54:02 PM »

Canada is about to get hit with a 5th wave of covid, so many jurisdictions are implementing new measures to try to slow down Omicron. Mind you, I live in the Texas of the north, known locally as 'Berta, so we're doing the opposite. But I digress...

I'm definitely starting to think the Olympics aren't going to happen vis a vis NHL players in attendance. I'm sure the IOC is hoping and praying for Jan 10th to come and go without a peep.

I think there's a precisely zero percent chance of NHL players going.  I'm also beginning to think there's  a possibility the Olympics might not happen at all.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2021, 04:41:35 AM »
I'm also beginning to think there's a possibility the Olympics might not happen at all.

Considering it's China we're talking about I expect the Olympics to go ahead, perhaps without spectators as there are many disciplines that won't be affected by the lack of them too much.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:48:00 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #517 on: December 17, 2021, 07:03:26 AM »
I doubt the players go to the Olympics this year.  China mandates a 5 week quarantine if you test positive.

https://news.yahoo.com/detroit-red-wings-dylan-larkin-210748695.html

I don't think NHL owners would be happy about a player testing positive over there and missing a month of the season.  I don't think the players would be happy about that either.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: December 17, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
Considering they don't get paid for games missed due to that, yeah...

Also, Paul Maurice resigns this morning.  :omg:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: December 17, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »
More and more, I feel like we just time-warped to March 2020 (not just because of the below, but Omicron in general).

Leafs cancelled today's practice - Tavares and Kerfoot are in COVID protocol
Montreal/Boston postponed - 7 Bs in COVID protocol
Friedman just reported that Calgary, Colorado, and Florida will likely announce their games will be suspended thru Christmas.

Welp

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
Spezza and Simmonds in Cov-protocol last night.  I'd lay a C-note down that more come test positive this morning/afternoon, and the Leafs games will be the next team shut down.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #521 on: December 18, 2021, 10:27:53 AM »
Red Wings have 3 more players and 2 coaches going into covid protocol:

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2021/12/18/22843701/several-red-wings-players-coaches-enter-nhl-covid-19-protocol

They had their Monday game against the Avs canceled due to the Avs being hit hard by covid.  I wish the league would just shut down until after the first of the year to get a handle on this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: December 18, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »
Next two games for BOTH the Leafs and Canucks are postponed.

One step closer to a league wide shutdown. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen early in the week, and it last until January.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: December 18, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
Bruins are shut down through Christmas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #524 on: December 18, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
Yep, the odds of NHL players being at the Olympics are lower than zero at the rate this is going.