Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80826 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's just cruel.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

That's just cruel.

Only because I couldn't find a gif from the 2002 Western Conference Semis when Chris Pronger went in to try and injure Steve Yzerman and instead blew his own knee out to the point where he was unable to play all but 5 games of the 2003 season. :rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Any Stars fans here?

In the first verse of the National Anthem, "star(s)" appears twice, and Stars fans shout those words.  It is SO FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Jets fans have been doing this with the canadian national anthem since their return to the league. The ownership group that brought them back is called True North Sports, so they shout True North for the "true north strong and free" line in our anthem. Also fucking obnoxious. So add another reason to hate the Stars fans, since they appear to just be copying the Jets fans.

Except the Jets have only been back since 2011, and Stars fans have been doing it long before that (of course, I'm assuming the original Jets fans weren't doing it before the team moved to Phoenix).  That said, calling out the name of the ownership group seems a lot more obnoxious.

At no point did I suggest the Jets fans were less obnoxious. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Any Stars fans here?

In the first verse of the National Anthem, "star(s)" appears twice, and Stars fans shout those words.  It is SO FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Jets fans have been doing this with the canadian national anthem since their return to the league. The ownership group that brought them back is called True North Sports, so they shout True North for the "true north strong and free" line in our anthem. Also fucking obnoxious. So add another reason to hate the Stars fans, since they appear to just be copying the Jets fans.

Except the Jets have only been back since 2011, and Stars fans have been doing it long before that (of course, I'm assuming the original Jets fans weren't doing it before the team moved to Phoenix).  That said, calling out the name of the ownership group seems a lot more obnoxious.

There’s also “and the home of the BLUES”.

But the worst is the my fellow Rangers fans. At some point during the “rockets red glare” part, someone always shouts “LET’S GO RANGERS” and the crowd cheers over the anthem. Now I’m not a person who cares about the anthem, I have my opinions which I’ll keep to myself since this isn’t PR, but at least be creative instead of just shouting over the damn thing with something that has nothing to do with the song.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

I used to go to minor league hockey games in Spokane WA in the early 90s. There was always a section (the rowdy section right next to the penalty boxes) where the entire section would add the “cymbal crashes” by making a loud “CHHHHH” sound.

“And the rockets red glaaaare” [CHHHHHH] “The bombs bursting in aiiiiirrrrr” [CHHHHH]

Some people were very annoyed by that, but they weren’t going to pick a fight with the entire section.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Yzerman play doesn't bug me anymore. I have always recognized it as an awesome shot by an all-time great player, and now that the Blues have a Cup, the sting of that isn't nearly as severe.  That doesn't mean I hate the Red Wings any less, but those many playoff losses were all washed away in 2019.  :hat :hat

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Yzerman play doesn't bug me anymore. I have always recognized it as an awesome shot by an all-time great player, and now that the Blues have a Cup, the sting of that isn't nearly as severe.  That doesn't mean I hate the Red Wings any less, but those many playoff losses were all washed away in 2019.  :hat :hat

Same. Remarkable shot…..and, if not for the amazing game that John Casey plays, especially in the first period……that never happens. Blues had multiple chances to win that game before that…..Glenn Anderson in particular blew three great chances himself…..but it just wasn’t meant to be. I love also how a weak stick and attempt by Gretzky led to that. Brutal turnover that he’s been given a pass for committing for years.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

I don't know.  Gary Thorne saying "Gretzky had it, lost it.  Yzerman picks it up," commentary to me was one of the more memorable things he has ever said which helps keeps the fact that Gretzky flubbed it in that brief moment memorable.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 09:41:30 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline romdrums

Man, I was rooting hard for the Blues in 2019.  It seemed like they finally got all of the pieces together for a Cup run, and I was especially rooting for them after discovering the Laila Anderson story.  I thought her connection to players like Colton Parayko was really awesome, and I wanted them to win it for her, you know? 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As soon as I heard she was coming to Boston for Game 7, I knew the Bruins were going to lose.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Man, I was rooting hard for the Blues in 2019.  It seemed like they finally got all of the pieces together for a Cup run, and I was especially rooting for them after discovering the Laila Anderson story.  I thought her connection to players like Colton Parayko was really awesome, and I wanted them to win it for her, you know?

I guess, but while that was a cool story, I wanted them to win it for themselves and (selfishly) for us long-suffering fans more than anything.  For those of us who had agonized over crushing playoff losses for decades, it was cathartic to finally have the sports gods on our side.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I guess, but while that was a cool story, I wanted them to win it for themselves and (selfishly) for us long-suffering fans more than anything.  For those of us who had agonized over crushing playoff losses for decades, it was cathartic to finally have the sports gods on our side.

Seeing teams like the Blues, Capitals, Saints, and Cubs win after years of coming up short serves as a constant reminder to never give up on my favorite teams.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bruins in Calgary tonight. Getting to see the Flames' gorgeous home unis.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN!!!!

The Kraken were down 4-1 at the end of two, and I almost shut it off.

With 3 minutes to play, I’m now looking at a tie game.

KRAKHEAD4LIFE!!!!!

Offline jammindude

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we lost.  :loser:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we lost.  :loser:
Heart breaking.  Eventually, you'll find ways to enjoy the one point earned to get it to OT

Leafs were on the other side of that coin last night ... up 4-1, and Chicago tied it up.  With 1:20 left, a very fortuitous bound off the stanchions on a dump in left a wide open cage for them to get the game-winner.

Sens shutting out the Bolts, and Tkachuck with his first career hattie!  If only the Bruins would've lost, it would've been a great night all around!   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

The one point does mean something. And the teams got a lot of spirit. The only big disappointment has been Grubauer. This was literally the guy that we were trying to build our team around. We started our franchise by getting a few good defenseman and the best goalie that was on the market.

But I think they announced last night that we’ve given up the first goal in almost 80% of our games. Most of the time were even out shooting our opponents. But we are just giving up goals left and right. I think Grubauer might end up losing his #1 starter job.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
With any luck, it’ll be like the Bobs situation in FLA - sign a big contract, suck ass in your first year of it, then return to form.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
This was literally the guy that we were trying to build our team around.

There's Seattle's first problem right there. I wouldn't call Grubauer the kind of piece you build a team around. Or any goalie, for that matter. Grubauer is certainly a serviceable tender, but he's basically a career backup. If he's your ace in the hole you're already done for.

Speaking of done for, the Oil are in the midst of a 5 game losing streak that's seen them drop to 4th in the division. Finally got Nurse back, but the defense is still questionable. And worse, the big guns aren't scoring right now either (Draisaitl's 2 goals Thursday notwithstanding).

Offline jammindude

This was literally the guy that we were trying to build our team around.

There's Seattle's first problem right there. I wouldn't call Grubauer the kind of piece you build a team around. Or any goalie, for that matter. Grubauer is certainly a serviceable tender, but he's basically a career backup. If he's your ace in the hole you're already done for.

Well, I’ve only been loosely following hockey until this year, but what we were told from the organization and the press was that Grubauer was absolutely an elite goaltender and that we will be building our team around defense. Before the season even started we were told not to expect a lot of scoring. We were expecting to win a lot of 2-1 type of games.

But so far (the last two games not withstanding) we’ve shown ourselves to be a fairly average offense of team with lots of scoring opportunities, but completely incapable of stopping the other team on the defensive end. So obviously, our original game plan is not what is transpiring on the ice.

Offline pg1067

I'm about 20 hours late, but I have to give the Kings kudos for beating Minnesota last night in what had to be the most dominating 2-1 win I've ever seen.  Minnesota scored first, but the Kings tied it up fairly quickly and then went into a mode where they could have beaten pretty well anyone.  They were so strong on the puck, and I never felt like Minnesota had a chance the rest of the way.  And Jonathan Quick again looked like his 2012 self.  That probably means we get our asses kicked in the next game, but I hope to see a lot more of what I saw last night.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

The next four games ain't going to be pretty.  The Bolts, the Panthers, the Jerks, and the Caps in this road trip.  I think it would be a good trip if they somehow win two of those games if they played up to how they did in the last two games.

Edit: On another note, the Canucks are somehow 4-0 since switching to Bruce Boudreau as head coach???  I mean I know that Boudreau had a reputation of being a solid enough coach.  I just didn't think he was able to get early solid success right away.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:13:27 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

The next four games ain't going to be pretty.  The Bolts, the Panthers, the Jerks, and the Caps in this road trip.  I think it would be a good trip if they somehow win two of those games if they played up to how they did in the last two games.

The Hurricanes are "the Jerks"?  I literally had to check the schedule to see to whom you were referring.

But yeah...a rather brutal roadie, and 4 points wouldn't be a bad result.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

Yep.  The Hurricanes are the Jerks as in the Bunch of Jerks.  It's just easier for me to type that rather than Hurricanes or Canes.

Offline pg1067

Yep.  The Hurricanes are the Jerks as in the Bunch of Jerks.  It's just easier for me to type that rather than Hurricanes or Canes.

Why don't you like them?  As a Kings fan, I don't really harbor any enmity for any Eastern Conference team.

Online Anguyen92

Me calling them Jerks is just all for fun.  I actually don't mind them and was rooting them in 2019 when Justin Williams was their captain.  This is like the only thing that involved Don Cherry that I like when he called them a Bunch of Jerks and they ran away with that.

They even had a t-shirt that says Bunch of Jerks.  I also enjoy their Tweets from their account at times.

Offline pg1067

Aaaahhhh...gotcha.   :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's why they're a bunch of jerks - https://youtu.be/slyjyilk4uw?t=271.

Offline romdrums

I'm glad Grapes has been put out to pasture.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich

Couldn't agree more.

"Young men expressing themselves....(inaudible mumbling)...you don't do that...(more mumbling)...jerks!"

At least he's not calling them a bunch of pukes for having fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Same.  In his heyday, he was entertaining and insightful as anyone.  But the last 4-5 years, the decline was palpable - at least in his hockey perspectives.  I got right fucking fed up with his insistence that players should NEVER put their stick out to block a shot because every minor deflection causes a goal, and the goalie will always  stop 100% of shots outside of the hash-marks.  What a pantload.  For the (relatively) small number of shots a goalie would have had if not for a slight deflection, vs the hundreds that never got close to the net, it was (one of) the fucking dumbest argument he routinely made.

I'll admit, I was kinda bummed when he got axed, but I haven't missed him at all, nor have I sought out a single one of his podcasts.  He's just an old coot yelling at air.

Online Anguyen92

Couldn't agree more.

"Young men expressing themselves....(inaudible mumbling)...you don't do that...(more mumbling)...jerks!"

At least he's not calling them a bunch of pukes for having fun.

I concur.  Typing the Pukes rather than the Jerks just doesn't have the same zip.

Online Anguyen92

Things are getting a bit ugly right now.  A lot of players have entered COVID protocol in the last few days.  On top of that, it's been documented that apparently if you test positive for COVID in China during the Olympics, you could be stuck there for around 3-5 weeks at worst without NHL pay? 

Bettman's stance has always been no NHL players at Olympics, but he relented in this case to make sure that this current CBA was done as that was the one thing the players wanted before agreeing with the terms of the CBA.  They want to be at the Olympics.  Bettman is probably hoping that these players would think about the risks and not risk it going as it could lead to something even uglier down the line.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 01:45:46 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Olympics in China possibly in Jeopardy?
« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »
This 3-5 week quarantine thing is going to kibosh NHL players in the Olympics.  I simply don't see it happening.  Bring back the World Cup of Hockey.  I don't give a rats ass what the timing or format is, I simply want to see a global best-on-best tourney.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Olympics in China possibly in Jeopardy?
« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »
This 3-5 week quarantine thing is going to kibosh NHL players in the Olympics.  I simply don't see it happening.  Bring back the World Cup of Hockey.  I don't give a rats ass what the timing or format is, I simply want to see a global best-on-best tourney.
Bingo.