Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80784 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. New Jersey has a new Jersey with the word Jersey in front.
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
Here's something I don't think we've talked about much this season, but I know we are all keeping an eye on.  Alex Ovechkin has made it to 750 goals in his NHL career yesterday. 

16 goals away from Jagr.  51 goals away from Howe. 144 away from Gretzky.  Ovi started a 5 year deal this season.  I think he can do it.  I think he can beat Gretzky.  Didn't think that last season, due to him not playing a lot due to protocols, etc. and that lockouts and the Covid stoppage definitively put that quest in doubt.  Nowadays, I'm leaning more towards I think he can break all-time goal record.

I'm not sure if I've posted it here or somewhere else, but as of the start of the current season, Ovechkin needed about a goal every other game for about three years to catch Gretzky.  In the prior five seasons (16/17 through 20/21), 205 goals in 358 games or .5726 goals per game.  With 20 goals in 25 games this season, he's obliterating that pace.  However, even at .6 goals per game, he's got a full three seasons before getting to 894.  I think he can do it, but he's been remarkably healthy throughout his career and will need to maintain that.  If he can stay healthy, I think he gets it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. New Jersey has a new Jersey with the word Jersey in front.
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2021, 11:21:06 AM »
Here's something I don't think we've talked about much this season, but I know we are all keeping an eye on.  Alex Ovechkin has made it to 750 goals in his NHL career yesterday. 

16 goals away from Jagr.  51 goals away from Howe. 144 away from Gretzky.  Ovi started a 5 year deal this season.  I think he can do it.  I think he can beat Gretzky.  Didn't think that last season, due to him not playing a lot due to protocols, etc. and that lockouts and the Covid stoppage definitively put that quest in doubt.  Nowadays, I'm leaning more towards I think he can break all-time goal record.

I'm not sure if I've posted it here or somewhere else, but as of the start of the current season, Ovechkin needed about a goal every other game for about three years to catch Gretzky.  In the prior five seasons (16/17 through 20/21), 205 goals in 358 games or .5726 goals per game.  With 20 goals in 25 games this season, he's obliterating that pace.  However, even at .6 goals per game, he's got a full three seasons before getting to 894.  I think he can do it, but he's been remarkably healthy throughout his career and will need to maintain that.  If he can stay healthy, I think he gets it.

I think he'll pull a Jagr, and play some extra seasons into his 40's to get the record if need be, but I imagine he's very motivated to get it in this contract. He'll still score more goals in his 40's than most players in the league. All-world players like that still produce above an average 2nd or 3rd line player until they get bored and call it quits (see Teemu Selane). Would it surprise anyone if a 42 year old Ovi scored 25 goals? Not this guy.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Vancouver/Philly. Coaches ain't safe there, atm.
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2021, 11:27:34 AM »
Can't say I disagree with anything anyone has said on the Ovi >894 topic.  Health will be the biggest factor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
I think he'll pull a Jagr, and play some extra seasons into his 40's to get the record if need be

At the pace he's been scoring, he'll get it before he turns 40.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »
Can't say I disagree with anything anyone has said on the Ovi >894 topic.  Health will be the biggest factor.

Yep. IF he stays healthy I don't see how he doesn't break it. And to think he's doing this against infinitely more talented goalies with much larger pads than the Great One faced.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: December 06, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »

Yep. IF he stays healthy I don't see how he doesn't break it. And to think he's doing this against infinitely more talented goalies with much larger pads than the Great One faced.

Stick's have evolved too.  As well as coaching, techniques, and skills training. 

On the flipside (and I mentioned this last month) ... Ken Dryden had something like 198 wins in his first 300 games, while Vasilevsky had 195 - with 42 of them in OT/SO.  It's a fools game to try and compare eras.   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: December 06, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »
It is worth noting as well that Ovechkin has the most OT goals in NHL history, while Gretzky didn't have the luxury of overtime his first few years in the league and then even when OT was instituted, it took years for them to give a point to the loser, meaning teams were more likely to play defensive in OT back then so as not to lose and get nada, so Ovechkin has benefited by playing in an era where you have nothing to lose by going for it in OT.  Just a little more perspective. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2021, 07:05:17 PM »
Yeah, good point. Just imagine Gretzky, Kurri, and Coffey 3 on 3.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2021, 07:07:39 PM »

It's hilarious to even think about.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: December 06, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »
Omg, that’s a great point. Although, to be fair ... it’s only 24 goals

And for shift #2, Messier, Anderson, and Lowe.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: December 06, 2021, 07:18:25 PM »
Omg, that’s a great point. Although, to be fair ... it’s only 24 goals

And for shift #2, Messier, Anderson, and Lowe.

Ridiculous.

I saw that team in 1988 and they were stacked!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #431 on: December 06, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
Early 80s Islanders would have been sick at 3 on 3 as well. Bossy was already a relentless scoring machine.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: December 06, 2021, 07:20:16 PM »
after 1992 .... Lemieux, Jagr and Coffey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: December 06, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

Followed up by Francis (or Trottier) , Stevens (or Tocchet or Mullen) and Larry Murphy.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: December 06, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »

Followed up by Francis (or Trottier) , Stevens (or Tocchet or Mullen) and Larry Murphy.

How ‘bout Oates, Neely Borque?

I need to Edit myself ... Coffey left Pitt before Jagr was drafted. Still, put him out with Yzerman and Federov instead    :omg:

It’s fun to fantasize about this trio’s.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »

It’s fun to fantasize about this trio’s.

:zydarscouch:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2021, 07:44:21 PM »
Fantasizing about threesomes....back in 10. :P :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
Fantasizing about threesomes....back in 10. :P :lol

Who needs 10? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
Well…this got really ugly really fast.

3-0 in less than 6 minutes. Grubauer got pulled. The 2nd in line is injured. That means we’ve got a kid in there who just got called up from the farm league IIRC.

EDIT - I just double checked and he’s not a kid. But he has played more minor-league hockey than NHL. He’s played a few games for the Ottawa Senators, but not much else. He’s only clocked one win
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2021, 08:33:29 PM »
Boudreau is a great coach. 
Well, he sucked donkey balls on the NHL network as a studio analyst. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
Hot take.

I think that if a goalie successfully makes the save…but then it bounces off his own defenseman’s skate and goes back in, he should still get credit for a save. But I suppose that would screw up the SOG vs GA stats.  :'(
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Vancouver. Can Big Boudreau be the savior?
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2021, 10:37:46 PM »
F***!!!!!!!!

That is all from this mad Kings fan this evening.

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Vancouver. Can Big Boudreau be the savior?
« Reply #442 on: December 08, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
F***!!!!!!!!

That is all from this mad Kings fan this evening.

The team is consistently inconsistent.  Great game against Edmonton (even without the 3 major PPGs) and then shit the bed against the #8 team in the division.  I feel like we're going to suffer with Pedersen as the faux heir-apparent to Quick.  Then we'll get frustrated and trade him and hope Quick can hang on for another year or two (I'd say that Pedersen will then play well in his new home, but where's Jonathan Bernier these days?).  Hopefully, there's someone a lot better than Pedersen in Ontario who can take over when Quick is done.

Offline Anguyen92

If memory serves me right, Jonathan Bernier is in....., I want to say Detroit, but I remember Yzerman traded him to the Hurricanes before Free Agency.

Edit: Looked up the answer, he's with the Devils.

On that note, I understand it's insanely impossible to find another goalie that has the talent and the intangibles of peak Quick and I'm starting to think Petersen may not be it, but I would like to think even though he's not off to a great start this season, he's going to give the team a good 3 years until they can find someone they can commit to like they did with Quick.

We mentioned before how bad the goalies the Kings had before Quick.  Here's the goalies that came and gone in 2010s to my recollection.  Out of the bunch, I say only one of them was really bad.  That's a good track record.

Bernier, Ben Scrivens, Martin Jones (and he was really good before he became really bad), Jeff Zatkoff (really didn't like him), Peter Budaj (really hated Lombardi trading him when he was the key goalie that was giving us some hope in 2017 when Quick was injured and then the hope was extinguished), Darcy Kuemper, and Jack Campbell (well done, Leafs.  You got a good one.  I would say we backed the wrong horse, but I will reserve saying that until the Leafs resign Campbell).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:54:22 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ouch, Rangers.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Ouch, Rangers.

They were gonna have a bad game eventually. Starting their third goalie certainly didn’t help. Hopefully Shesterkin is healthy soon. The Rangers just play with more confidence when he’s in net.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

On that note, I understand it's insanely impossible to find another goalie that has the talent and the intangibles of peak Quick and I'm starting to think Petersen may not be it, but I would like to think even though he's not off to a great start this season, he's going to give the team a good 3 years until they can find someone they can commit to like they did with Quick.

The highlighted is the most important thing here, and it's absolutely true.  Not saying it's easy, but Pedersen is giving me flashbacks to the era of guys like Cristobal Huet, Roman Cechmanek, Mathieu Garon, Jason LaBarbera, Dan Cloutier and Yutaka Fukufuji.

Here's the goalies that came and gone in 2010s to my recollection.  Out of the bunch, I say only one of them was really bad.  That's a good track record.

Bernier, Ben Scrivens, Martin Jones (and he was really good before he became really bad), Jeff Zatkoff (really didn't like him), Peter Budaj (really hated Lombardi trading him when he was the key goalie that was giving us some hope in 2017 when Quick was injured and then the hope was extinguished), Darcy Kuemper, and Jack Campbell (well done, Leafs.  You got a good one.  I would say we backed the wrong horse, but I will reserve saying that until the Leafs resign Campbell).

I wouldn't even include Zatkoff.  He was a guy who got a LOT of run on letsgokings.com as a possible challenger for the job.  However, once Quick emerged as a dominant goalie, he became an afterthought.  He never actually played for the Kings before signing an FA deal with Pittsburgh, where he spent three seasons as a backup.  He came back to the Kings the season that Quick missed most of because of injuries but only played 13 games before being sent down and eventually traded.  Dude only played 48 NHL games in total.  Scrivens and Jones had solid tenures as backups and fill-ins, and I agree that the Kings seem to have made the wrong choice between Campbell and Pedersen.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
the Kings seem to have made the wrong choice between Campbell and Pedersen.

Here's at least one GM decision that Dubas did the fleecing, instead of being the fleeced.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Beating the Red Wings will never not be highly enjoyable. I hate that franchise and every single one of their fans.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Love you too, Kev.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Haha.  :tup :tup

Offline pg1067

Any Stars fans here?

In the first verse of the National Anthem, "star(s)" appears twice, and Stars fans shout those words.  It is SO FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.  Fortunately, the good Kings team showed up last night and shut them the hell up with a dominant 4-0 win (2 ENGs, but the game was never close).  I really wish THIS Kings team would show up more regularly.

Beating the Red Wings will never not be highly enjoyable. I hate that franchise and every single one of their fans.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Me from 20 years ago would have agreed.  A Wings fan hit me with with an octopus that he was too weak-armed to get on the ice at game 4 of the 2000 first round playoff series.  I didn't really like the Wings at that point, but that sent me over the edge.  The Wings not being particularly good over the past decade has softened my dislike quite a bit.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Any Stars fans here?

In the first verse of the National Anthem, "star(s)" appears twice, and Stars fans shout those words.  It is SO FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Jets fans have been doing this with the canadian national anthem since their return to the league. The ownership group that brought them back is called True North Sports, so they shout True North for the "true north strong and free" line in our anthem. Also fucking obnoxious. So add another reason to hate the Stars fans, since they appear to just be copying the Jets fans.

Offline pg1067

Any Stars fans here?

In the first verse of the National Anthem, "star(s)" appears twice, and Stars fans shout those words.  It is SO FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Jets fans have been doing this with the canadian national anthem since their return to the league. The ownership group that brought them back is called True North Sports, so they shout True North for the "true north strong and free" line in our anthem. Also fucking obnoxious. So add another reason to hate the Stars fans, since they appear to just be copying the Jets fans.

Except the Jets have only been back since 2011, and Stars fans have been doing it long before that (of course, I'm assuming the original Jets fans weren't doing it before the team moved to Phoenix).  That said, calling out the name of the ownership group seems a lot more obnoxious.

Offline romdrums

;D ;D ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.