Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80801 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Calder - Caufield (no clue)

Anton Lundell (Florida) will probably be in consideration at this rate. He has 6 points in 7 games, has played big penalty kill and power play minutes from the get go, and showed his class when they beat the Canes without Barkov.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Everyone still getting injured
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2021, 04:25:06 AM »
I'm with Kev.  I consider myself blessed to have seen the greatest play in his prime.  And those 80s Oilers were simply stacked with talent.

Some things are comparable across eras though.  Why hadn't anyone before Gretzky been able to even come close to the kinds of numbers he put up.  Also, goaltenders were hardly incompetent - Vasilevsky played his 300th game the other night, and in the Leafs broadcast they flashed a stat that he had the 2nd most wins of all time in those first 300 at 195 games.  The leader?  Ken Dryden.  Also, 42 of Vas's wins were in OT/shootout.

Like Kev said, he was like sticking a 16-year old in a league of 8-year olds.  It was crazy how much better (particularly between the ears) he was.

Hey, I never thought Sawchuck's 103 shutouts would ever be broken, but Brodeur did it.  There's a chance that Ovi could do it, and it'd be impressive as shit if he did.  If anything though, I'm actually rooting against it.

I wish Mario had been able to be healthy.  He too was in a league of his own.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2021, 05:32:16 AM »
Consider too that Mike Bossy is about as good a goal scorer as we have ever seen (I think he still might have the highest goals per game average, which of course was helped by him retiring early, so he didn't have a bunch of late in his career seasons that dragged his overall average down), and he was 2nd in the league in goals with 64 in 1981-1982 (his 3rd highest total in a season).

Gretzky was 1st with 92.  :eek :eek

Oh, and Gretzky had 120 assists that season as well.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2021, 06:18:37 AM »
Gretzky's  single season goal total is unbreakable.  So is Teemu's rookie season goal tally. Hell, if a player scored 76 goals in a season period it would be astounding,  let alone if it were a rookie.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2021, 06:51:55 AM »
Consider too that Mike Bossy is about as good a goal scorer as we have ever seen (I think he still might have the highest goals per game average, which of course was helped by him retiring early, so he didn't have a bunch of late in his career seasons that dragged his overall average down), and he was 2nd in the league in goals with 64 in 1981-1982 (his 3rd highest total in a season).

He is my all time favorite player.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »

He is my all time favorite player.

I was pretty young, but I got into hockey in the early 80s and that Islanders team was something else.  Kind of a shame that they got overshadowed by the Oilers dynasty, but we remember.  I'll be surprised to ever see another team win 4 championships in a row in any of the 4 major sports in my lifetime (Yankees came oh so close in '01 before losing in wonderfully heartbreaking fashion).

Offline romdrums

Calder - Caufield (no clue)

Anton Lundell (Florida) will probably be in consideration at this rate. He has 6 points in 7 games, has played big penalty kill and power play minutes from the get go, and showed his class when they beat the Canes without Barkov.

I’d say Lucas Raymond and Moritz Seider are the Calder front runners so far.  Raymond leads all rookies in scoring, has a hat trick and a 3-assist game so far.  Seider scored his first NHL goal last night, a beauty of an OT game winner, and leads in assists.  They have both been seeing tons of ice time in critical situations, as Raymond has cemented himself on the first line of the Wings, while Seider is essentially their #1 Defenseman. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I thought the Rangers were gonna blow another big third period lead. Jesus Christ they stress me out.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

Whoop, whoop.  Kings won against the Leafs.  Sorry, Jingle. I was sweating the rest of the game after the Tavares goal even after the first Danault Goal (which really honestly looked pretty questionable).  It took a while but Danault and Iafallo on the same line is really clicking together.  That's good news all around for the team.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Whoop, whoop.  Kings won against the Leafs.  Sorry, Jingle. I was sweating the rest of the game after the Tavares goal even after the first Danault Goal (which really honestly looked pretty questionable).  It took a while but Danault and Iafallo on the same line is really clicking together.  That's good news all around for the team.

Yeah, I only watched part of the 2nd last night while working out.  I had a feeling this wasn't going to be the Leafs' night.  I think if Matthews had been able to tie it at 2 with that rush he had down the boards (but just rang it off the post), it might've been a different game.  That Dannault goal was 'good' - the first attempt looked like a clear kick, but the puck just ricocheted off his skate after that.

Wish they'd put a better effort forth in front of Campbell, but oh well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

Five in a row!  Yeah!  I didn't get to see the game, but the guys on the postgame were calling it one of the team's best overall efforts in years.  Hopefully it continues tonight (but it probably won't since I'll actually be able to watch most of the game) and the winning streak continues.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
My nephew plays on the Boston Bruins ice Saturday for a show that plays between periods of the Bruins broadcast during the year.

It's called Mini "One on One" that has happened since the 70's that my brother and I fantasized about and in full circle,  his son gets to play in it.  Proud moment for our family.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

See, those are the moments we want to see more of in the world of hockey nowadays.  Great to see that, King.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
My brother and I are like kids again. I was there when he got the news.  Super big hugs and a million high fives.

We are so excited for him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

The announcer said something tonight that I have heard almost every announcer say at nearly every Kraken game.

“The stat sheet shows Seattle is dominating…but the score does not reflect it.”

This is becoming a running theme
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The importance of goaltending can never be overstated.

Case in point: Binnington stole that game for the Blues last night in Winnipeg.  :hat :hat

Offline Willthescout7

The Blackhawks have looked different since Cotillion was dismissed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

He was over his head from the jump. I cannot believe he lasted that long.

Offline Anguyen92

Whistles.... Ducks GM, Bob Murray, has resigned and is going to enroll into an alcohol-abuse program.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/bob-murray-resigns-from-position-as-ducks-evp--general-manager/c-327799704

Ducks higher-ups really took swift action on this one.  Stated yesterday that they had to put him on a leave pending investigation and the action to resign was made today.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Word is the league is expecting ownership and executives to take a look 'under the hood' of the organization, and address behaviour(s) that would've been dismissed or swept away in the past.  I'd be surprised if this was the last of these kinds of departures.

Solid team win by the Leafs last night.  Say, Nick... when did Giroux become such a proficient diver?  He gave quite the performance on those first two penalties he drew.

Offline Willthescout7

To give him some credit, he was put into an awful situation from the get go. Too young to command respect from the veterans, a team stuck between rebuild and contending, and he never once got a full season to coach (not counting the 56 game season as a full season). It doesn't absolve him of his errors in gameplans, scheme and motivation, but it does make you feel for the guy a bit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

To give him some credit, he was put into an awful situation from the get go. Too young to command respect from the veterans, a team stuck between rebuild and contending, and he never once got a full season to coach (not counting the 56 game season as a full season). It doesn't absolve him of his errors in gameplans, scheme and motivation, but it does make you feel for the guy a bit.

Yeah well that’s what I mean when I said he was over his head. It wasn’t necessarily his fault.

Offline jammindude

WHAT A GAME!!!

I think we’d be ahead of Grubaeur would get his head about him.

Offline jammindude

UGH….REALLY disagree with pulling the goalie with almost 3 minutes left. I think that’s a hair too soon. Now we’re done for.

Offline pg1067

SEVEN IN A ROW for the Kings!

Hopefully the "real" Kings are closer to the team that has won seven in a row than to the team that lost six in a row before that, but this is really fun!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
UGH….REALLY disagree with pulling the goalie with almost 3 minutes left. I think that’s a hair too soon. Now we’re done for.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that's too early to pull the goalie?

Back in the day you'd usually only see an empty net in the last minute or so of the game, but I think coaches started pulling them earlier to get multiple shifts out of their top players (potential fake news alert: I have no idea if this actually true). With only a minute left you get one crack at tying it with your top line. I have no issue with a coach treating it like a powerplay, and trying to get a full 2+ minutes with the extra skater. It's always going to be a huge risk with the net empty, but there's almost no consequence to allowing the extra goal. If you're going to lose by 1 you might as well lose by 2 while swinging for the fence. Goal differential is so far down the tie breaker list that it's a non-issue.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember hearing that the 'analytics' showed the highest percentage chance of getting a tie'g goal was somewhere around the 2:30 time frame.  I remember years ago, Patrick Roy (when he was coaching the Avs) pulled his goalie with over 6 minutes to go - at the time, there was a study that suggested 6:10 was the most optimal time to pull the goal.

Current thinking - https://galea.medium.com/when-to-pull-the-goalie-running-the-numbers-on-nhl-goalie-pulls-9fad2a6caceb

TLDR;
As discussed in the results section of this post, I found that it’s optimal to pull an NHL goalie when there’s 3:00 left in the period. In this case, you would have 1 in 4 odds of scoring.

Offline jammindude

The extra attacker is one thing, but it’s not like you have no chance at even strength. I would concede that the old-school way of doing it at one minute is probably putting your offense in a bit of a pinch. But two minutes seems pretty reasonable to me (like SS said…it becomes a last minute power play at that point). More than that and it’s almost like you’re not even trusting your regular offense to just be aggressive and do their job.

And six minutes just seems silly to me. That would be like throwing a Hail Mary with 6 minutes left to play.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:24:26 AM by jammindude »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I remember hearing that the 'analytics' showed the highest percentage chance of getting a tie'g goal was somewhere around the 2:30 time frame.  I remember years ago, Patrick Roy (when he was coaching the Avs) pulled his goalie with over 6 minutes to go - at the time, there was a study that suggested 6:10 was the most optimal time to pull the goal.

Current thinking - https://galea.medium.com/when-to-pull-the-goalie-running-the-numbers-on-nhl-goalie-pulls-9fad2a6caceb

TLDR;
As discussed in the results section of this post, I found that it’s optimal to pull an NHL goalie when there’s 3:00 left in the period. In this case, you would have 1 in 4 odds of scoring.

I love how this is some hockey fan with a Master of Science in physics who's just bored and whips up a data model using Python. As a fellow data scientist nerd, this makes me chuckle.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Data don't lie!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Data don't lie!

Thank you for making me think of the greatest promo in wrestling history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

Data don't lie!

Thank you for making me think of the greatest promo in wrestling history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ

Ahhh, Scott Steiner.  If only his peak wrestling abilities in the early 90s meshed well with his nonsense ramblings in the 00s.

Scott Steiner - He's Fat!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Carolina is jingle.son's 2nd fave team.  The college he attends, and will finally be on campus for in January, is in Ottawa, so he's trying to make himeslf a Sens fan (side note... this isn't a bad plan considering how good they're gonna be in a few years).  Anywho.... just bought him tix as a Christmas gift for the Sens/Canes game in Ottawa for Jan 27th.  Spurged just a little bit, and got 3rd row right behind the Sens bench.  And we'd already got a Svechnikov (his fave player) jersey for him too.  Gonna be a sweet haul for him next month.

Offline Anguyen92

Awww, snaps.  That sounds awesome.  Great gifts.