Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80830 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Everyone still getting injured
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »
Roy also did it in 3 different decades, with 15 years between his first and third wins, and the second one right in the middle of that 15 years.  I hated Patrick Roy, but that hate also came with a certain level of respect.  Although, nothing will beat him giving up 6 goals on 16 shots in Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals!!  Not to mention, his chirp against Jeremy Roenick in the 96 Western Conference Semis was classic.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »
OK, remember this is my first season of truly following a team on their journey in the NHL.

We currently have one of the best goaltenders in hockey, we have doubled up the shots on goal to the opposing team and yet we are still behind 2 to 1. Is this common? Because this is heartbreaking.

A goalie who’s playing well can steal a game. It’s glorious to see when it’s your goalie doing it, but it’s infuriating when it’s against your team.

And, when it’s happening to your team you can usually get the sense of it early on. That it’s just not going to be your night because the opposing goalie just ‘has that look’ and has made a few saves early that shows they’re dialed in.

Yep, and that is why I would given the Conn Smythe to Binnington when the Blues won it.  The Blues came out flat in Game 7, like they didn't care if they won or lost, and Binnington stood on his head and kept it at 0-0 until the team around him finally woke up.  If he hadn't played well in that 1st period, that could have been an early rout in the wrong direction.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
OK, remember this is my first season of truly following a team on their journey in the NHL.

We currently have one of the best goaltenders in hockey, we have doubled up the shots on goal to the opposing team and yet we are still behind 2 to 1. Is this common? Because this is heartbreaking.

A goalie who’s playing well can steal a game. It’s glorious to see when it’s your goalie doing it, but it’s infuriating when it’s against your team.

And, when it’s happening to your team you can usually get the sense of it early on. That it’s just not going to be your night because the opposing goalie just ‘has that look’ and has made a few saves early that shows they’re dialed in.

Yep, and that is why I would given the Conn Smythe to Binnington when the Blues won it.  The Blues came out flat in Game 7, like they didn't care if they won or lost, and Binnington stood on his head and kept it at 0-0 until the team around him finally woke up.  If he hadn't played well in that 1st period, that could have been an early rout in the wrong direction.

If that cheesey knuckle Pinckney, fanned on floater goal doesn’t go in with four minutes to go in the game he would have gotten it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »
Well, to be fair (and you KNOW I'm no fan of anything Boston), there was talk of Rask deserving it - win or lose Game 7.

https://theathletic.com/1020446/2019/06/11/lebrun-the-case-and-historical-precedent-for-tuukka-rask-and-the-conn-smythe-win-or-lose-in-game-7/
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »
I’m having such a blast.

Think of me as a guy who just heard Dream Theater for the first time, and now he’s totally geeking out.

;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
I’m having such a blast.

Think of me as a guy who just heard Dream Theater for the first time, and now he’s totally geeking out.

;D

That's awesome!  Expansion has done it's job on you  :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2021, 08:34:43 PM »
I’m having such a blast.

;D

Hockey is a thrill, and Seattle is such a great sports town. It’s a match made in heaven.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2021, 08:37:03 PM »
I have somewhat followed hockey for years. But I haven’t truly been into a hockey team from start to finish since I lived in Spokane and the local WHL team went all the way to the memorial cup and one. And that was all the way back in like 1991.

But now with watching every game of one team at the NHL level I really feel like I’m following the game a lot better than I ever have.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
One of the things I am noticing is that even at the NHL level…while there is definitely a higher level of precision… how much of this game can really come down to flukes and whether or not those flukes are going for you or against you.

We are out shooting our opponents in nearly every game, but we are just not getting really great looks. And then, as we were playing Edmonton tonight, the very first shot of theirs goes in off a bounce off a skate.

As I’m watching it take place on the ice, I really feel like we are out playing our opponents, but it’s not reflecting on the scoreboard. But then again, that’s kind of Seattle sports. LOL

Offline jammindude

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2021, 09:48:03 PM »
SOG

SEA 24
EDM 19

Score

EDM 5
SEA 2

This wouldn’t be nearly as frustrating if it weren’t literally a pattern.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2021, 06:12:29 AM »
SOG

SEA 24
EDM 19

Score

EDM 5
SEA 2

This wouldn’t be nearly as frustrating if it weren’t literally a pattern.

That can be frustrating, but as you seem to be a new regular watcher of the game, keep in mind how important special teams are.  Seattle so far is 30th out of 32 teams in power play percentage.  You gotta take more advantage when getting those power play opportunities, but the season is still young, and they are an expansion team, so it may just take time.  They are tied for 6th in the league in penalty kill, so that is really good.  :tup :tup

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2021, 06:16:07 AM »
If you asked me on Friday I would have been happy with 3/4 points out of a weekend back to back with Pittsburg and Columbus, but losing that last point does sting  after beating the Pens and leading the Blue Jackets in the third period. Still though, cautiously happy with how things are going to far this season (especially since it sounds like Jack Hughes will be out for a number of additional weeks).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
The Red Wings are looking like a much improved team so far, but Montreal has their number.  In their two meetings so far, the Wings have been out scored 9-1, and looked mostly lost last night in a 3-0 shutout. They were missing 2/3rds of their top line last night, though, with Bertuzzi and Larkin both scratched. On the plus side, Moritz Seider was named Rookie of the Month for October with 8 points in 9 games.  He and Lucas Raymond are the current favorites for the Calder Trophy.  Fun fact, despite the talent the Wings have had over the years, their last Calder Trophy winner was Roger Crozier in the 1964-65 season.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
Solid victory by the Leafs last night - albeit against a depleted Vegas team.  It only too 4+ years, but they finally look like an expansion team  :lol.

Tampa tomorrow, and Boston on Saturday will be a better litmus test.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2021, 02:41:49 PM »
albeit against a depleted Vegas team. 

The way the 'Rona is running through these teams I think most of the games this year will feature one or both the teams playing minus key players.

The Blues have 100% vaccination and we still have 4 guys out on Covid protocols.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2021, 04:59:46 PM »
albeit against a depleted Vegas team. 

The way the 'Rona is running through these teams I think most of the games this year will feature one or both the teams playing minus key players.

The Blues have 100% vaccination and we still have 4 guys out on Covid protocols.

Yeah, but none of the VGK injuries are listed as COVID.  Stone, Pacioretty, Karlsson, Tuch... not Covid.  Three other players listed as "undisclosed".

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
You know.  It doesn't take that much to get the heart beating in that last min. in the 3rd onwards in that Kings/Blues game.  That was painful with the Blues tying it with 7 seconds to go.  It wasn't even the first time this calendar year that happened.  I'll admit.  I didn't have much faith in Quick doing well in the shootout, but he pulled through in the last two attempts and that was all that matters. I was hoping he get that stop against Tarasenko after what happened in the last game against the Blues and he did. 

Also, Arthur Kaliyev.  Just let that guy blast the thing and good things will happen.  Happened in the tying goal and the shootout winner. Hope he can stick around long with the Kings and not get demoted back to the Reigns.  Got to do the good things to stick around when it matters and this is a good case.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:24:21 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2021, 06:12:23 AM »
Dreger / TSN is reporting that Eichel has been traded to Vegas in return for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, and 2022 1st round pick.

Seems pretty light to me, although the outcome of surgery is a big risk.  This could be a great deal for VGK if it's successful.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »
Dreger / TSN is reporting that Eichel has been traded to Vegas in return for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, and 2022 1st round pick.

Seems pretty light to me, although the outcome of surgery is a big risk.  This could be a great deal for VGK if it's successful.
If that return is true, then this is definitely a steal for Vegas.  Although,  i suppose it cripples your negotiating power when the player says they're not playing for your team anymore.

I would have preferred Eichel stay in the east.  When healthy he's a top notch player, and i could've done without him in the division.  That being said....it doesn't look like the Oil are going to be concerned about many teams this season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »

If that return is true, then this is definitely a steal for Vegas.  Although,  i suppose it cripples your negotiating power when the player says they're not playing for your team anymore.

I would have preferred Eichel stay in the east.  When healthy he's a top notch player, and i could've done without him in the division.  That being said....it doesn't look like the Oil are going to be concerned about many teams this season.

Yeah, the sure look like they're firing on all cylinders.  Even Koskinnen is looking pretty good!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2021, 07:26:47 AM »

Yeah, the sure look like they're firing on all cylinders.  Even Koskinnen is looking pretty good!

Buffalo got buffaloed. :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2021, 08:49:59 AM »
The trade.

Oooo, boy.  Look at Vegas now.  Going to be interesting to see how they get under it once their guys get healthy.  Eichel will recover by March, correct?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:59:46 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
I suspect he'll probably recover for Game 1 of the playoffs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
Looks like they're following the Toronto strategy of loading up AAV in a few players - Eichel/Stone/Pacioretty/Pietrangelo taking up $35.3M of cap space.

They'll obviously have to move on from $10M of salary somehow - the obvious choice is the three UFA's they have coming due the end of this year (2F; 1D) make up $9.5M.  Maybe Pacioretty?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »

You can be 100% sure of that.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2021, 09:23:36 AM »
Looks like they're following the Toronto strategy of loading up AAV in a few players - Eichel/Stone/Pacioretty/Pietrangelo taking up $35.3M of cap space.

They'll obviously have to move on from $10M of salary somehow - the obvious choice is the three UFA's they have coming due the end of this year (2F; 1D) make up $9.5M.  Maybe Pacioretty?

The ass end of all these AAV deals are going to be brutal for these teams. Blues have several of them as well. I get the strategy but man….better get that return in those first couple years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »
The Bruins have tied for the least games played (7) so far. One game was on ESPN+, so i missed that. One game was during a power outage, so I missed that, and another was opposite the Pats last week.

A guy for the Red Wings just got a penalty for "playing without a helmet". Is this a penalty?? When did this happen?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
How does Jeff Blashill still have a job?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
Hat trick!! Bergeron!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2021, 07:13:45 PM »
The Bruins have tied for the least games played (7) so far. One game was on ESPN+, so i missed that. One game was during a power outage, so I missed that, and another was opposite the Pats last week.

A guy for the Red Wings just got a penalty for "playing without a helmet". Is this a penalty?? When did this happen?
That rule was adopted from the international rules a few years ago in an attempt to improve safety.  Helmet comes off and the player needs to immediately head to the bench

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
Concussions is a hot topic in all sports these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2021, 08:19:09 PM »
So funny to see Mike Rupp try and say something nice about the Bruins. His staring at the ceiling, rolling his eyes, while Stu Grimson was talking about the Jeagermeister Shot Of the Night was hilarious.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2021, 09:10:00 PM »
Fuck that Leafs/Bolts game was awesome. Watch the highlight package boys. Both Campbell and Vasilevsky were lights out. Nice to get the win, even though they were crap in the 1st..

Sergechev will get at least 1 game, but he ought to get 2-3.  The puck was gone, it was clear head-first contact, it was not a fast moving play (ie COMPLETELY avoidable), and there was clear upward movement of his shoulder at impact. That was Dreger’s analysis, so it’s not just me being a homer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »
SOG

SEA 28
BUF 8

Score is tied. Why do goalies suddenly turn into brick walls when they face us?