Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80835 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Everyone still getting injured
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2021, 09:22:27 PM »
Well, change of plans for me.  I was really eyeing seeing the Kings against the Habs next Saturday, but it turns out that my sister, her husband, and their young son is going to go to the game the next day against the Sabres and they got me a seat next to them.  Makes this decision a no-brainer.  It's a joy to see kids at their very first hockey game.

In other news, if there is one thing I can take solace in regarding this Kings' team, right now, is that the Blackhawks are even having a worst start than them at the moment and the Blackhawks went more all-in this season, getting Seth Jones and Fleury.  Paid a huge premium in assets in Jones and a huge extension and it doesn't look things are exactly living up to the hype for them at the moment.  That's a bummer for their fans in addition to the many other baggage that's going on with that team.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:35:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2021, 05:50:06 AM »
In other news, if there is one thing I can take solace in regarding this Kings' team, right now, is that the Blackhawks are even having a worst start than them at the moment and the Blackhawks went more all-in this season, getting Seth Jones and Fleury.  Paid a huge premium in assets in Jones and a huge extension and it doesn't look things are exactly living up to the hype for them at the moment.  That's a bummer for their fans in addition to the many other baggage that's going on with that team.

When it comes to the Blackhawks, I'm not even mad anymore. I've entered into a space of whatever happens, happens. Hopefully this pushes Bowman and Cotillion out so we can just restart.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »
It’s pretty ridiculous that there’s no local broadcast of our home opener. It’s streaming on ESPN plus and Hulu, but you would think one local network would be carrying the home opener of the brand new expansion team. It’s just ludicrous that it’s not anywhere on TV. The only place you can watch it on regular TV is on the Vancouver CBC station that happens to be a part of our cable package.

You're never going to get a local broadcast for a nationally televised game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »
It’s pretty ridiculous that there’s no local broadcast of our home opener. It’s streaming on ESPN plus and Hulu, but you would think one local network would be carrying the home opener of the brand new expansion team. It’s just ludicrous that it’s not anywhere on TV. The only place you can watch it on regular TV is on the Vancouver CBC station that happens to be a part of our cable package.

Is ESPN+ (a pay service) considered a nationally televised game now? That seems weird to me because a nationally televised game used to mean that a major network (or cable network) was offering it over free air. Like if had been on ESPN proper, I could see it. But a side, pay extra service?  :o
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
I would agree that ESPN Plus is NOT "nationally televised", at least not in the traditional sense jammindude mentioned.

It's interesting too.....not sure 100% they've never televised an Avalanche game on the local "Altitude" network.....when it has also been nationally televised. But I do know they have had NBA games on "regular" ESPN or TNT with the Nuggets....and still carried the game on Altitude. In fact it happened with the Phoenix Suns game just a few days ago.

As far as teams like the Blackhawks struggling compared to the potential relating to their offseason changes.....I would say, it's EARLY. The Avalanche were picked by many to repeat as President's Trophy winners, but they started off VERY slowly...and new goaltender Darcy Kuemper got lit up against Washington. Then looked very good against defending champion Tampa. It's going to take time to gel with the new guys.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »

Is ESPN+ (a pay service) considered a nationally televised game now? That seems weird to me because a nationally televised game used to mean that a major network (or cable network) was offering it over free air. Like if had been on ESPN proper, I could see it. But a side, pay extra service?  :o

I get where you're coming from, but the answer to the question is yes.  A game that's being aired (or now, streamed) on the league's major national television partner is not going to be broadcast on the team's local network.  If this were last year, the game probably would have been on NBC, but that deal is no more.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
You know. I'm checking CapFriendly right now and it's quite fascinating to see that 17 teams are over the Cap Space due to injuries and needing to put players on LTIR.  It's going to be quite a headache for some of those teams to try to get under cap when those players eventually get healthy and ready to go.

Edit: Hours later, well, at least, the Kings put a better fight against the Blues in this game than the previous game.  Tarasenko had two really good looking goals in the 3rd to put a end to that.  Now this team is down two defensemen.  Doughty and Walker.  This time period without Drew Doughty is going to be pretty ugly unless someone can really show that they can step up.  I'm not seeing any stepping up that I like to see yet from anyone on this team.  Kopitar is still looking good for the most part.  I can still be excited about that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:38:17 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2021, 05:14:24 AM »
As far as teams like the Blackhawks struggling compared to the potential relating to their offseason changes.....I would say, it's EARLY. The Avalanche were picked by many to repeat as President's Trophy winners, but they started off VERY slowly...and new goaltender Darcy Kuemper got lit up against Washington. Then looked very good against defending champion Tampa. It's going to take time to gel with the new guys.

The problem with the Blackhawks is how inept they look. I fully expect teams like Colorado to figure it out. The Blackhawks, with their record setting inability to gain a lead, look completely lost and outmatched by every team. The only team I feel like they could beat right now is Arizona, and even that would be close. If Cotillion disappears, then I think things could turn around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2021, 06:17:58 AM »
I think everyone expects Colorado to figure it out, because, let's face it, they are the Chosen Ones. ;) :P

Meanwhile, the Blues win again to get to 5-0 for the first time in their history.  And we are all pretty ecstatic right now that Tarasenko was not traded, as he has looked great so far.  Two huge goals last night, and he is playing with a chip on his shoulder. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:29:15 AM by KevShmev »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2021, 06:27:28 AM »
The fan reaction to Tarasenko on opening night and last night when they interviewed him after the game was awesome…..and the way he lit up and smiled says it all. He’s not going anywhere…..and he has been playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Just so Tim can try and make some sort of dog at me again I’ll say it for a third time. With all
Their talent, Colorado has yet to prove anything outside of being a good team. Their goaltender last season WAS the reason they had that good season and right now their goaltending is severely suspect. You can say the same about Vegas…..which I have…..for three seasons in a row now. Being ordained and selected as the heir apparent to the Cup by the ‘experts’ doesn’t automatically give you the Cup. You still have to earn it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2021, 07:06:42 AM »
Colorado reminds me of the early to mid 90's Red Wings.  Lots of talent, but the recipe isn't quite right.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
Colorado reminds me of the early to mid 90's Red Wings.  Lots of talent, but the recipe isn't quite right.

No... that's the Leafs. :marriageanalogy:

Look, it's only 5-6 games into the season. Let's not start sucking each others' dicks just yet (for the teams that are cruising), or press the panic button.  Applying the logic of some of the rhetoric I'm reading here, Buffalo and San Jose are cup contenders, while the Lightning and Vegas should blow up their teams and begin a rebuild.

::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
Totally Chad. That’s why while I’m excited about a 5-0 start by the Blues I also know they could easily lose the next 5 games. I think it’ll be a fun season to be a Blues fan and think they’re going to ‘surprise’ people…..but I’m not ordering my tickets to go touch the Cup again just yet.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »
Holy sh**.  In addition to the Blackhawks poor start, there's a huge s***storm brewing at the moment in the organization.  The results of an investigation that started months ago on them regarding incidents around 2010 that has been made public.  From what I'm reading through various reporters, it's not pretty and the findings are said to be quite graphic. 

This is a sad day for hockey fans regarding what's going on with the findings.

At the end of it all, Stan Bowman has now stepped aside as the GM for the Blackhawks, per Chris Johnston.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1453063339270094848

I'm just going to link a Hockey Guy video regarding this.  He's usually good at summarizing and give the cliff notes version regarding stuff like this.

Blackhawks Investigation Ends, Bowman is Out as GM, More Heads Likely to Roll
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:48:28 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »
Totally Chad. That’s why while I’m excited about a 5-0 start by the Blues I also know they could easily lose the next 5 games. I think it’ll be a fun season to be a Blues fan and think they’re going to ‘surprise’ people…..but I’m not ordering my tickets to go touch the Cup again just yet.

Very true, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying the winning while it happens and being excited about it, rather than being a negative nancy and waiting for the bottom to drop out.  :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2021, 01:53:40 PM »

Very true, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying the winning while it happens and being excited about it, rather than being a negative nancy and waiting for the bottom to drop out.  :tup :tup

Totally. I’m enjoying the heck outbid it foe sure.

And…..just as an example of how this season is going to be weird…..a fully vaccinated Ryan O’Reily goes on the Covid protocol list for 10 days

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »

Totally. I’m enjoying the heck outbid it foe sure.

And…..just as an example of how this season is going to be weird…..a fully vaccinated Ryan O’Reily goes on the Covid protocol list for 10 days

I saw that.  It's a bummer, but such is life in 2021 with COVID.  Just glad the team has come out of the gate looking so good.  :hat :hat

Offline jammindude

« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2021, 10:30:43 PM »
My father always loved the classic Bart Starr-era Green Bay Packers.

They were his favorite team until the Seattle Seahawks began their inaugural season in 1976, and he was a lifelong fan until his passing in 2007 and he never got to see them win a super bowl.

But tonight I got just a taste of what my father must have felt 45 years ago when the Seahawks won their first home game, because I just waited just over 40 years (I’m 52, but didn’t get into sports until I was about 7-8ish) for Seattle to get their first NHL home win ever.

Congratulations to the Kraken.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:22 AM »
Holy sh**.  In addition to the Blackhawks poor start, there's a huge s***storm brewing at the moment in the organization.  The results of an investigation that started months ago on them regarding incidents around 2010 that has been made public.  From what I'm reading through various reporters, it's not pretty and the findings are said to be quite graphic. 

This is a sad day for hockey fans regarding what's going on with the findings.

At the end of it all, Stan Bowman has now stepped aside as the GM for the Blackhawks, per Chris Johnston.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1453063339270094848

I'm just going to link a Hockey Guy video regarding this.  He's usually good at summarizing and give the cliff notes version regarding stuff like this.

Blackhawks Investigation Ends, Bowman is Out as GM, More Heads Likely to Roll

Bolded for emphasis.

Rumours are that Chevy (Wpg GM) and Quennville might be at risk of losing their jobs.  Personally, I can see a situation where the NHL wants to take a massive stand on this issue, and these two could be banned for some period, maybe even for life.  I gotta think some of the players from that Cup run have to be held accountable for their complicity as well.

And the off-ice shit storm is going to make it that much more enraging when the Leafs lose to them tonight.

@ Gary and Kev ... there's a difference between being a "negative nancy", and being realistic.  Yes, you should absolutely be thrilled with the start that the Blues have, but my point was more towards your stance towards the Avs and Knights.  Look, I'm no Knights fan, but I can be objective enough to acknowledge they are still the 'team to beat' in the West, and the Avs are that in the Central.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2021, 06:18:15 AM »
I read the executive summary and the section titled "What the Blackhawks Organization Knew", and it paints a damning picture of every single person involved. Everyone who tried to cover this up or ignore for the sake of winning the cup is scum. I'm glad Bowman stepped aside, though I wish this wasn't just a way to try to avoid punishment. Here's hoping that everyone else follows soon. Quennville is a good coach, but he also comes out horrible here, and deserves to be removed from the league.

I'm ashamed to be a Blackhawks fan today.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2021, 07:51:17 AM »
I hope Chevy and Quenville both lose their jobs. Or at least do the right thing and resign. It's one thing not knowing about terrible shit happening under your watch. It's another thing entirely to be be aware, and do nothing; even worse to be asked about it directly, then lie about your knowledge of it. Lack of accountability is my biggest peeve in this world. If you fucked up, just come out and say it, and do better moving forward.

I'm ashamed to be a Blackhawks fan today.

Little bit, yeah.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2021, 05:19:06 AM »
It was hard to watch the Blackhawks game last night. I still love the team, but in the light of everything...yeah, I was conflicted about supporting them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2021, 05:26:18 AM »
I too found it hard to watch, but for other reasons.  The Leafs were lucky to snatch that victory, but still have a long way to go to figure out 'their game'.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »
Doughty is going to be out for about two months.  Sean Walker is done for the season.  Don't think the Kings can afford to lose two defensemen at this point, especially Doughty.  These next couple of weeks are going to be interesting for the Kings.  I'm ready for the pain.  Maybe through this pain, someone, other than Kopitar and his line, can step up and deliver on something.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2021, 12:30:08 PM »
Doughty is going to be out for about two months.  Sean Walker is done for the season.  Don't think the Kings can afford to lose two defensemen at this point, especially Doughty.  These next couple of weeks are going to be interesting for the Kings.  I'm ready for the pain.  Maybe through this pain, someone, other than Kopitar and his line, can step up and deliver on something.

That friggin' sucks!  I haven't paid much attention to hockey yet because of the baseball playoffs and other such things, but unless someone steps up in a big way, it seems like we're looking at another lost season for a team that won two of the last 10 Cups.  Ugh!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2021, 12:44:06 PM »
Yeah, I already gave up on them for this season as them trying to look like a serious team for once.  Still going to go the Sabres game on Sunday with my sister, her husband, and their son and probably a few more games and just see if there's any good progression and whatnot in the younger guys throughout the sesaon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:49:44 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2021, 04:51:47 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how the Staples Center experience is.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
I mean it was hard to gauge on how it looks on TV in the first game against the Golden Knights.  It looked relatively empty in some parts, but I thought it was mainly due to that the team has low expectations and that a Dodgers playoff game was going at the same time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:07 PM »
I mean it was hard to gauge on how it looks on TV in the first game against the Golden Knights.  It looked relatively empty in some parts, but I thought it was mainly due to that the team has low expectations and that a Dodgers playoff game was going at the same time.

Are they enforcing the mask and vax/negative test requirements?  Are they still not letting you have food/drink in your seat?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
I have no clue.  Sunday is going to be my first game at Staples since late 2019 against the Blues (and yes, Gary and Kev, the Blues also decimated the Kings in that game).  I presume they are enforcing the vax requirements.  Don't really care about food/drink.  I usually eat before or after events anyway since I don't want to pay expensive arena prices.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:30 PM »
Quennville resigns.

Chevy's meeting has been moved up to tomorrow.

I'm guessing in about 20 hours, he'll be resigning.

People like Toews, Kane, and Keith are going to be facing a lot of heat.  Based on everything I've heard so far, it's inconceivable that they didn't know.

What a cluster fuck.  This is an absolute stain on the organization, and the league that isn't going away anytime soon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2021, 08:25:23 PM »
Quennville resigns.

WOW!

I saw one headline today where they refer to Kyle Beach as "Former Blackhawks Star". I never heard of the kid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
NEW YORK (Oct. 28, 2021) – National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman today released the following statement.
“The National Hockey League agrees with the decision tonight by Joel Quenneville to resign his duties as head coach of the Florida Panthers. In his former role as Chicago Blackhawks head coach, Mr. Quenneville was among several former members of the Club’s senior leadership group who mishandled the 2010 sexual assault claim by former player Kyle Beach against the Club’s then-video coach, Brad Aldrich. And, following a meeting with Mr. Quenneville that took place this afternoon in my office, all parties agreed that it was no longer appropriate that he continue to serve as Florida’s head coach.
“I admire Kyle Beach for his courage in coming forward, am appalled that he was so poorly supported upon making his initial claim and in the 11 years since, and am sorry for all he has endured.
“We thank the Panthers’ organization for working with us to ensure that a thorough process was followed. Given the result, there is no need for any further action by the NHL regarding Mr. Quenneville at this time. However, should he wish to re-enter the League in some capacity in the future, I will require a meeting with him in advance in order to determine the appropriate conditions under which such new employment might take place.”

Sounds pretty much like an unofficial lifetime ban.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2021, 08:27:56 PM »
The Panthers got fucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2021, 09:33:44 PM »
Quennville resigns.

Chevy's meeting has been moved up to tomorrow.

I'm guessing in about 20 hours, he'll be resigning.

People like Toews, Kane, and Keith are going to be facing a lot of heat.  Based on everything I've heard so far, it's inconceivable that they didn't know.

What a cluster fuck.  This is an absolute stain on the organization, and the league that isn't going away anytime soon.
Keith  told a local reporter here that he knew nothing,  and wasn't sure if any other players did because they were all "too dialed in". He claims that even if anyone heard rumblings,  they would just brush it off and "assume management would take care of it". Honest to god quotes from Duncan Keith