Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80809 times)

Online Anguyen92

Previous season thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55798.0

Training camp is upon us, but let us revel in what happened in this offseason.  Well, a lot of free agents signed for a buttload of money.  I think the final total of dollars in free agents for the league in the contracts signed has to be over $1 Billion.  Lots of "named" value defensemen had signed to some rather lengthy and huge contracts.

There are still some RFAs that are key players to their respective teams that still needs a deal.  Kirill Kaprizov (Wild), Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes (Canucks), Brady Tkachuk (Senators), and many others.

Will guys like Jack Eichel or Vladimir Tarasenko get traded before the season starts?

Also, the NHL stated that they will, reluctantly it seems, move forward with sending their players to the Olympics for the Winter Games next year.  However, and why the question marks in the title, it seems like they will have an out clause if certain things does not look favorable to their decision.  They will have until January to opt out, I think.

Anywho, let's us enjoy this full season and maybe we can go see a game or two live.  I'm looking at the Kings' weekend home game schedules and not many great matchups there for the rest of 2021.  They are playing the Habs on 10/30, but that's the same day as the DT show in LA, and I already bought the tickets for DT, oh well.

Edit: Shoot, I actually have a better subtitle in mind.  I forgot about Seattle.  We'll see what surprises they have for us in their first season.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:30:33 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Unleash the Kraken!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »
First!  With preseason coming up, I'm glad someone finally started a new thread.

Don't think I'm going back in on my Sabres season tickets, given the US border is still closed to essential personnel only.  I have no idea how Eichel moves, and anyone 'wins' the trade.  That is the most fucked up player situation in the last ... long while.  No idea what the sticking points are for those outstanding RFAs, but I don't think the Canucks are going to see Hughes or Peterson sit.  Kaprizov might "sit" in Russia though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 11:27:33 AM »
Patrice Bergeron said he will wait until after the season to decide if he will play another season with the B's.  He's in his 18th season.  If this is indeed his last season, no one did it better, classier than he did.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
Patrice Bergeron said he will wait until after the season to decide if he will play another season with the B's.  He's in his 18th season.  If this is indeed his last season, no one did it better, classier than he did.

Ain't gonna argue that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »
My group gave up our Oilers season seats before the 2019-20 season, and it honestly hasn't bothered me one bit. Will i miss going to playoff games? Sure, but i found myself not even wanting to go to regular season games because of the inconvenience (travel, cost -a beer or 2, parking if i drove instead of used the train, getting home at 11 or midnight and up at 5 the next morning). Having the benefit of hindsight in regard to covid, it makes it decision that much better. Sportsnet does a good enough job with the broadcast that I'd rather watch at home.

I'm optimistic about the Oilers. As was mentioned by others in the other thread, they're almost a lock for the playoffs in a weak Pacific Division. Overall, i think the team is better this year than last year, and I'll be surprised if they aren't pushing Vegas for the division.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »
Did I miss their trade / signing of a #1 goalie?? :neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 07:41:53 PM »

I would cheat on David Backes with Patrice Bergeron.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 07:55:47 PM »

I would cheat on David Backes with Patrice Bergeron.

My boss said something to that effect when I let him borrow a CD from Sarah McLachlan.  He described listening to is like he was cheating on his wife.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
Ahem... it is RELEASE THE KRAKEN, not UNLEASH THE KRAKEN.

I played baseball, soccer, tennis, football, golf, basketball growing up. Watched them all on TV with my dad. He coached some of my teams. To me hockey was just a sport they played in Canada. I never bothered to watch it, learn it, appreciate it.

I am happy we have a team up here now, if only because it gets the region's sports fans something else to get excited about. With no NBA team, an MLB team whose playoff drought can legally buy alcohol, and only one top tier NCAA school within hundreds of miles, having another sports team is great. I love seeing people wearing Kraken gear.

* yes, I know I left out the Sounders and the Storm.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 08:21:56 PM »
So, are you a hockey fan then?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
No, I am not. I wish I could say I have it an honest chance. But I never did. So I don't hate it either. I just don't have any opinions either way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 10:07:46 PM »
Ahem... it is RELEASE THE KRAKEN, not UNLEASH THE KRAKEN.

Good, I get to rile up the Seattle guy then.  The unintentional plan is working in building a rivalry among this community in the crappy Pacific division.

I could change it to your line, or I could go back to my original line of "Going to the Olympics in Beijing?  Fingers Crossed?"  Or not change it at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »
Did you not read the rest of my post where I said I don't follow hockey? :p

Speaking of rivalries, it has always been a bit awkward here when it comes to rivals. UW-WSU is the best we have. In the pro sports, the closest teams are so far away. The Mariners have never really had a rival, due to both geography and 40+ years of sucking. The Sonics didn't really either, at least when I followed the NBA. When I grew up, we tried to think of the Broncos or Raiders as rivals of the Seahawks, but that was only because we were in the same division. Manufactured rivalries are no rivalries at all. We had the 49ers for a few good years because of Carroll/Harbaugh, but that is gone now.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 10:22:46 PM »
I did, I just choose not to focus on that part when making the response.  I mean, in your case, it's probably a good time to get into hockey with all of the newcomer buzz with the Kraken.  You are welcomed here.  Up to you.  The Kraken's closest divisional rival would be the Vancouver Canucks.  A team that has a fair amount of upside, and solid young talent, headed by a GM that seems to make a trade/signing that rips their fans' hair off every offseason.  I laughed at those fans a lot during 2011-2012, when the Kings had their cup-winning peaks, but it's just not as funny anymore.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 10:27:30 PM »
Honestly if this was 10 years ago, I'd be all over this. At this point in my life, sports just doesn't hold the level of interest it used to. But then here I am, at 930p at night on a Friday, posting in the NHL thread on the discussion forum centered around a prog-metal band.  :loser:

I so hope a natural rivalry with YVR develops organically, and doesn't just exist due to proximity. It seems that has happened with PDX in MLS.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 12:38:35 AM »
I have always been fascinated by hockey. But because of the LACK of coverage in a non-NHL city, it just made it more challenging to follow.

What’s going to be SUPER WEIRD is having to try and pretend the Canuck’s are “rivals”, when they’ve actually been the closest thing I’ve had to a hometown team for the last 40 years.

I remember the classic V uniforms. I actually dreamed of owning one as a kid, but you couldn’t exactly pick up NHL jerseys around here.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 06:58:49 AM »
I said better than last year, not top Cup contender. Remember, last season Koskinen was going to be carrying this team heading into camp. The team is better at the start just knowing Koskinen might end his NHL career in the minors. There's serious talk that Alex Stalok use going to win the back up job

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 07:02:38 AM »
I have always been fascinated by hockey. But because of the LACK of coverage in a non-NHL city, it just made it more challenging to follow.

What’s going to be SUPER WEIRD is having to try and pretend the Canuck’s are “rivals”, when they’ve actually been the closest thing I’ve had to a hometown team for the last 40 years.

I remember the classic V uniforms. I actually dreamed of owning one as a kid, but you couldn’t exactly pick up NHL jerseys around here.

That's exactly how so many Western Canadians became Seahawks and Mariner fans. Seattle was the closest city with a team. Well, maybe the Twins are closer to me, but nobody cheers for the Twins. Nobody

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 07:41:11 AM »
I said better than last year, not top Cup contender. Remember, last season Koskinen was going to be carrying this team heading into camp. The team is better at the start just knowing Koskinen might end his NHL career in the minors. There's serious talk that Alex Stalok use going to win the back up job

The fact that the chips are in the middle of the table on a 39-year old Mike Smith to carry the load should be concerning (I would think).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2021, 09:07:43 AM »

The fact that the chips are in the middle of the table on a 39-year old Mike Smith to carry the load should be concerning (I would think).
100%.

Everyone in town is honestly hoping that Stalock turns out to be like a Dwayne Roloson: long time in the league, but very little mileage due to his time as a backup. He's looking really good coming into this season. Soooo, basically we're putting all our chips in either a 39 y/o tender or a completely unknown darkhorse. Damn that's depressing now that I'm saying it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »
Kinda like Jack Campbell last year, who turned out to produce the goods. It’s not a bad thing to hope for, and not totally unrealistic.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 01:00:14 PM »
Oil sign Yamamoto to a dirt cheap 'show me' contract. This could cause a difficult decision next year if both he and Jesse Puljujarvi have good seasons, as both will be RFA's next summer. If it means a deep playoff run, I'll still take it.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 03:52:39 PM »
Kings re-signed Cal Petersen.  $5M x 3 years that will kick in the season after this season.  I'm fine with it.  People say it may be too much money for a guy that hasn't started that many games (54 games in three seasons), but after this season, Quick only has one year left on his contract and the team needs to commit to a new starter and they deemed Petersen to be the guy for now.  He should be ok.  As for the team, it's a big we'll see and play the games out with the new guys they acquired and fingers crossed that their big prospects takes a bigger step/presence on the main roster and plays like it.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 06:25:06 AM »
Eichel stripped of his captaincy amid ongoing dispute regarding neck injury/surgery. He failed his physical with a herniated disc in his neck. Sabres won't name a captain this year.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-eichel-stripped-of-buffalo-captaincy-placed-on-ir-with-neck-injury/c-326273214
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 06:49:38 AM »
No surprise there. You can't have a guy as captain who's been very vocal about not wanting to play for your team.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 01:08:19 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 09:31:04 AM »
Hopefully they give Bertuzzi the Rinaldo treatment and send him packing to the AHL. Big difference in player, though, between those two, so I doubt the wings will go that route. The oilers are keeping Josh Archibald out of camp for his vax status.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
Rich.. your hopes for Stalock seem to be up in smoke.

https://oilersnation.com/2021/09/22/alex-stalock-is-likely-to-miss-all-of-2021-22-due-to-a-heart-condition-developed-after-contracting-covid-19/

And yeah... I hope teams take a hardline on unvax'd players.  Test 2 x daily then, mother fucker.  COVID can show up at anytime, so players better damned well be negative before engaging with other players.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:17 AM »

https://oilersnation.com/2021/09/22/alex-stalock-is-likely-to-miss-all-of-2021-22-due-to-a-heart-condition-developed-after-contracting-covid-19/

And yeah... I hope teams take a hardline on unvax'd players.  Test 2 x daily then, mother fucker.  COVID can show up at anytime, so players better damned well be negative before engaging with other players.

For fuck's sake! I saw an Edmonton journal headline this morning about the oil's success being on the shoulders of Smith and Koskinen, but i didn't bother reading the article.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »

For fuck's sake! I saw an Edmonton journal headline this morning about the oil's success being on the shoulders of Smith and Koskinen, but i didn't bother reading the article.

So you're saying a wildcard spot would be a successful season!  Damn dude, I feel for you.  I really do.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 11:00:16 AM »
Should shoot higher than a wildcard spot.  This division is so bad and that there's no way McDavid cannot carry them to top 3 playoff spot alone.  Post-season, different story.  It will be Canucks, Flames, Kings, and Kraken fighting it out for the final top 3 spot and maybe a wild card (but the Central looks better that I see 5 teams from that division making the playoffs).  Lots of question marks on those four could-be teams I mentioned that needs to prove something this season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Knights (on paper) have a lock.  Oil should have a lock too... but if the Canucks and Flames get their shit together, and the Kraken gel out of the gate (including Grubauer playing like a Top 5 goalie), things could get dicey - especially if Smith plays like most 40-year olds do, and Koskinen plays like Koskinen.

I'd be nervous if I'm an Oil fan.

I'm nervous as a Leaf fan - I think they'll be fighting with Boston for #3, and the Metro could quite possibly have 3 teams squarely in the hunt for the WCs.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 11:17:31 AM »
Well, with the DT show being postponed, that left 10/30 opened for me.  I checked the available tickets for Kings and Habs and saw that the game was going to be at 1PM......  I could have done both in the same day without worry of overlap if the DT tour was still on in the Fall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Preseason Galore!
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »
Will the Rangers be good this year? Should I get my hopes up? In a stacked Metro division probably not, but I’m nothing if not stubbornly loyal to my teams. Hey at least we’re back to the regular alignment and don’t have to deal with Boston in the division this year.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask