Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82560 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Marching on to the Trade Deadline in uhhh March.
« Reply #805 on: February 16, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »
what the hell, Team Canada!?!?!?!  Guess when it's not best-on-best, there's a lot more parity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #806 on: February 16, 2022, 09:40:09 AM »
what the hell, Team Canada!?!?!?!  Guess when it's not best-on-best, there's a lot more parity.

I haven't watched a single minute of the olympic tournament. Without the NHL players it's worse than the WC, which aren't great in their own regard. Give me a World Cup dammit!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: February 16, 2022, 10:22:22 AM »

I haven't watched a single minute of the olympic tournament. Without the NHL players it's worse than the WC, which aren't great in their own regard. Give me a World Cup dammit!

I watched most of Canada-USA, but that's about it.  The timezones are the bigger issue for me, but overall, I don't disagree as it relates to my level of enthusiasm.  The women's game will be more appealing.

Hopefully things get nailed down for a World Cup in 2024 as the rumours are starting to percolate.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #808 on: February 16, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »

I haven't watched a single minute of the olympics period. Zero desire to. Pro Hockey athletes competing was the only draw for me.....everything else I have no interest in. Never mind the political aspect of it with the whole world turning a blind eye to the crap that government puts it's citizens (i use that term loosely) through.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #809 on: February 16, 2022, 11:26:44 AM »
I think I'm in the minority because NHL players in the Olympics does not spike my interest in any way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #810 on: February 16, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »
I think I'm in the minority because NHL players in the Olympics does not spike my interest in any way.

Agree.  It was more fun when it was amateurs.  The U.S. beat the big bad Soviet team in 1980!  Yay!  The U.S. then sucked for 3-4 straight games.  We'd better get professionals in the Olympics!  The U.S. got the bronze medal in basketball at the 1988 Olympics (after having won every prior Olympic men's basketball tournament except the boycott year and the controversial 1972 game)?!  That's not acceptable.  Better get professionals in there!  At least in ice hockey, there are other teams as good at or better than the U.S., but having professionals makes it BORING.  And, while I enjoy watching the women's games, only once has a country other than Canada or the U.S. won gold or silver, and only five countries have EVER won any medal.

I don't really understand curling, but I find it oddly mesmerizing.  Ski jumping is really cool, as are biathlon, bobsled, luge and skeleton.  Unfortunately, stuff I REALLY don't like gets a TON of air time (figure skating and the X-Games events).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #811 on: February 16, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
The ice hockey tournament isn't amateurs though. It's just lower caliber professionals who can no longer compete in the best league. I'd rather have the best professionals. I don't even want to consider what the tournament would look like with true amateurs. Each country's world junior team? Retired pros?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: February 16, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
The ice hockey tournament isn't amateurs though. It's just lower caliber professionals who can no longer compete in the best league. I'd rather have the best professionals. I don't even want to consider what the tournament would look like with true amateurs. Each country's world junior team? Retired pros?

Or haven't yet made it up to the show full-time (eg, Owen Power / Mason Marchment).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #813 on: February 16, 2022, 02:34:19 PM »
Also, on the ROC side of things, I believe their team composes of the best players from the KHL league (which is apparently the 2nd most prolific league in the world after the NHL).

Otherwise, without NHL players in the tournament, it mainly be guys that's old and can't crack a NHL roster spot nowadays, players that's playing in other European leagues, college kids that's unsigned, or draft prospects that does not have a contract with a NHL team yet.  On top of that, the coaching staff on the USA or Canada team are naturally also guys that can't get a role in a NHL team nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 02:45:34 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: February 16, 2022, 02:36:09 PM »
Well, these are all complaints that arise once you let the Pros in in the first place. I actually lost interest once the Pros started taking part.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #815 on: February 16, 2022, 02:41:33 PM »
In all fairness, what people are really looking for is the best players from the main countries compete against each other.  They don't really mind if it's on an Olympic platform or otherwise, they just want to see the best rosters these countries had to offer.  People wants a loaded roster full of superstars compete against each other, country vs country.

Also, in other news, a few days back, Tyler Toffoli got traded to Calgary and Montreal got some picks and stuff.  Toffoli already off to a good start with the Flames and scored a goal yesterday.  Another ex-King on Darryl Sutter's Flames.  I'm nervous.  Plus the Oilers are starting to get their stuff together with their new coach.  Clamped down all right in yesterday's game against the Kings and Mike Smith had a solid game against them after giving up the first goal.  This is so nerve-wracking and all I can really hope for is that the Kings can only play up to what they should be against tough opposition.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:09:34 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #816 on: February 16, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »
Well, these are all complaints that arise once you let the Pros in in the first place. I actually lost interest once the Pros started taking part.

Exactly.  No one complained because Gretzky and Marcel Dionne weren't at the 1980 games.

Also, in other news, a few days back, Tyler Toffoli got traded to Calgary and Montreal got some picks and stuff.  Toffoli already off to a good start with the Flames and scored a goal yesterday.  Another ex-King on Darryl Sutter's Flames.  I'm nervous.  Plus the Oilers are starting to get their stuff together with their new coach.  Clamped down all right in yesterday's game against the Kings and Mike Smith had a solid game against them after giving up the first goal.  This is so nerve-wracking and all I can really hope for is that the Kings can only play up to what they should be against tough opposition.

Both Calgary and Edmonton have leapfrogged the Kings.  Not surprising.  It's also not surprising that the Kings looked flat last night.  It had been 13 days since the Kings last played a game, while the Oilers had played four games over the same span.  The Kings need to step it up against the Western Conference because that's the bulk of their schedule from here on out).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: February 16, 2022, 03:56:03 PM »
PG and TAC... you need to start your posts with "back in my day..."  Holy crap.  You're worse than Torts!

Kings fans ... you should be worried, especially with Eichel returning tonight.  I wish that game was being broadcast in Canada.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #818 on: February 16, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »
I wish that game was being broadcast in Canada.

No game is broadcast anywhere this season! >:(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #819 on: February 16, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
Jim Craig was from my hometown. In fact, his sister lived up the street from us. He used to jog by the house on his way to the beach and if we were out front playing football of something, he'd catch a couple of passes with us.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #820 on: February 16, 2022, 04:36:27 PM »
Kings fans ... you should be worried, especially with Eichel returning tonight.  I wish that game was being broadcast in Canada.

I am worried.  Kings play Vegas on Friday.  Nothing they can go about it except play up to what they can be.  At least, Mark Stone is not in the Vegas line-up.  Nagging injury where he needs to be put on LTIR so that they can play Eichel.  Ain't the LTIR concept fun?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: February 16, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »

I am worried.  Kings play Vegas on Friday.  Nothing they can go about it except play up to what they can be.  At least, Mark Stone is not in the Vegas line-up.  Nagging injury where he needs to be put on LTIR so that they can play Eichel.  Ain't the LTIR concept fun?

Between how Anaheim has been playing, Vancouver is surely going to have a better 2nd half than they did the first, and Dallas has to decide if they're going to go for it, or trade Pavelski .... lots of pressure coming up from the rear.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Vegas plays Stone's LTIR just like Tampa did with Kuch last year.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #822 on: February 16, 2022, 05:20:32 PM »
That's their intention.  Eichel is probably playing today.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1494073205547483142

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: February 16, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
If you ain't cheatin... you ain't tryin.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #824 on: February 16, 2022, 06:37:15 PM »
Some do it better than others.  On the flip side, Golden Knights does not even have the most amount over the cap in the league.  Habs is $11.8M over the cap and they are at the low point right now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: February 17, 2022, 06:29:49 PM »
Pretty wretched officiating going on in Montreal tonight. Blues have been called for 4 soft ass penalties and Canadians 1. Really bad calls.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: February 18, 2022, 07:20:42 AM »
Matthews is a REAL hockey player now.  Dude was defending/chasing down Crosby around the net, and completely missed where the net was, and went face first into the corner of the post/crossbar.  Lost a chicklet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yqYprcvp5Q

Otherwise, real solid game by the Leafs to put down another top-tier team.

Bring on the Blues!  It's go-time Gary

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: February 18, 2022, 08:08:29 AM »

What sucks is that I'm sure Binnington will be back in net given Husso has had the last few starts. I would love to see Berube sit Binnington again and let Husso keep playing. Kid looks great.

And I still can't believe that the Rangers traded Pavel Buchnevich to us for Sammy Blais. That was highway robbery. That dude has been playing great.....far superior player compared to Blais even when Blais was playing his best.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #828 on: February 18, 2022, 08:13:36 AM »

What sucks is that I'm sure Binnington will be back in net given Husso has had the last few starts. I would love to see Berube sit Binnington again and let Husso keep playing. Kid looks great.

And I still can't believe that the Rangers traded Pavel Buchnevich to us for Sammy Blais. That was highway robbery. That dude has been playing great.....far superior player compared to Blais even when Blais was playing his best.

I was definitely upset about that trade. Thankfully he was traded to a team I actually like. I hope you guys enjoy him.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #829 on: February 18, 2022, 08:18:43 AM »

Chad, get ready for some favorable calls for the Leafs! :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: February 18, 2022, 08:34:18 AM »

You know it!  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: February 18, 2022, 08:34:56 AM »

I was definitely upset about that trade. Thankfully he was traded to a team I actually like. I hope you guys enjoy him.

He's been playing with Tarasenko and Robert Thomas and they are in sync nearly every shift.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: February 18, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »

Leafs have been dynamite on special teams.  Perfect on the PK last night, with their 7th shortie of the year.  They must've had 4 or 5 2-on-1s on the PK.  Sportsnet flashed a stat that they currently have the highest combined PP + PK % in the last 40 years ... 115% something (31% on the PP; 83% something on the PK).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: February 18, 2022, 09:37:54 AM »

Leafs have been dynamite on special teams.  Perfect on the PK last night, with their 7th shortie of the year.  They must've had 4 or 5 2-on-1s on the PK.  Sportsnet flashed a stat that they currently have the highest combined PP + PK % in the last 40 years ... 115% something (31% on the PP; 83% something on the PK).

Should be a good matchup then because the Blues are 5th in PK and Second in PP (behind the Leafs)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: February 18, 2022, 10:30:53 AM »

Should be a good matchup then because the Blues are 5th in PK and Second in PP (behind the Leafs)

Holy crap... didn't realize that.  And the Leafs are 6th in PK, right behind the Blues!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #835 on: February 20, 2022, 12:13:15 AM »
Well, the Kings won back to back games against the Golden Knights and Coyotes.  Had to come back to a two-goal deficit in both games to get there.  This is going to be an interesting foot race at this point in the West.  A lot of teams in the Wild Card picture is all bunched up, especially in the Pacific.  All I can say is that I'm happy that the Kings are in the picture which is really where I wanted them to be in this season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: February 20, 2022, 04:27:30 AM »

Well, the opposite was true.  I'm not complaining about the officiating but ... (see below).  The Blues deserved the win last night.  It was a very evenly matched game, but the Blues got the better goaltending.  Campbell gave up a fat rebound, directing a blocker save directly on the tape to Buchnevich.  The other goals weren't soft or anything, but could've been stoppable.

As for the zebras, late in the 2nd tied at 3-3, Sandin was coming to the net to bury a loose puck from a rebound, and took a pretty solid hook/slash to the hands.  It was a sure-fire goal, and in todays NHL, it's a 100% penalty.  Blues got away with one there.  Also, on the same shift that the Blues got the 4-3 go-ahead goal, they should've been called for too many men.  Normally I wouldn't even think twice or mention it (because it was very close), but the Leafs got called for virtually the exact same - new player touched the puck while exiting player was still about 4-5 feet from the bench.  Another one they got away with - and then scored the go-ahead goal later that shift.

Blues were the beneficiaries of the officiating last night.

But, a very evenly matched game regardless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #837 on: February 20, 2022, 07:36:13 AM »
I thought it was a perfectly officiated game.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: February 20, 2022, 08:23:06 AM »

Well, the opposite was true.  I'm not complaining about the officiating but ... (see below).  The Blues deserved the win last night.  It was a very evenly matched game, but the Blues got the better goaltending.  Campbell gave up a fat rebound, directing a blocker save directly on the tape to Buchnevich.  The other goals weren't soft or anything, but could've been stoppable.

As for the zebras, late in the 2nd tied at 3-3, Sandin was coming to the net to bury a loose puck from a rebound, and took a pretty solid hook/slash to the hands.  It was a sure-fire goal, and in todays NHL, it's a 100% penalty.  Blues got away with one there.  Also, on the same shift that the Blues got the 4-3 go-ahead goal, they should've been called for too many men.  Normally I wouldn't even think twice or mention it (because it was very close), but the Leafs got called for virtually the exact same - new player touched the puck while exiting player was still about 4-5 feet from the bench.  Another one they got away with - and then scored the go-ahead goal later that shift.

Blues were the beneficiaries of the officiating last night.

But, a very evenly matched game regardless.

Not a great year for officiating. When the Blues played Montreal the other night it looked as if the refs decided before the game they were goi g to call everything on the Blues. It’s tough when game to game you have no idea what’s going to happen. You can only hope that the refs aren’t the deciding factor.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #839 on: February 20, 2022, 02:18:05 PM »
Well, the Kings won back to back games against the Golden Knights and Coyotes.  Had to come back to a two-goal deficit in both games to get there.  This is going to be an interesting foot race at this point in the West.  A lot of teams in the Wild Card picture is all bunched up, especially in the Pacific.  All I can say is that I'm happy that the Kings are in the picture which is really where I wanted them to be in this season.

I'm happy that they're all within a couple games played of each other (except the Sucks, on whom everyone has at least two games in hand).  Now it's just a matter of winning games.