Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82625 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL (2021-2022) v. Marching on to the Trade Deadline in uhhh March.
« Reply #770 on: February 08, 2022, 02:43:56 PM »
Man alive that Carolina/Toronto game last night was the funnest most entertaining game of the season so far.  Two incredibly evenly matched teams.  Of course, it was nice to take the W.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #771 on: February 09, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »
Tuukka Rask retires.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: February 09, 2022, 03:29:15 PM »
Tuukka Rask retires.

Good thing you guys didn't deal Swayman!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #773 on: February 09, 2022, 08:55:12 PM »
Marchand being his usual self lately, I see. What a trashbag of a human being that guy is.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: February 10, 2022, 04:14:30 AM »
Marchand being his usual self lately, I see. What a trashbag of a human being that guy is.

Pretty much.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #775 on: February 10, 2022, 11:41:00 AM »
Good riddance, Tippet.

Here's hoping Jay Woodcroft can turn this ship around.  He's done very well with the AHL affiliate in Bakersfield.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: February 10, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
Good riddance, Tippet.

Here's hoping Jay Woodcroft can turn this ship around.  He's done very well with the AHL affiliate in Bakersfield.

Somewhat overdue.  The team's fall has been quite spectacular over the last 10 weeks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #777 on: February 10, 2022, 09:36:47 PM »
Well, I knew this day had to come eventually this season.  The Flames are going to leapfrog everyone else to 2nd in the Pacific.  They also have games in hand to probably leapfrog the Golden Knights.  They'd be a team that I'm more nervous playing against than the Oilers.  They are playing Darryl Sutter hockey to the fullest atm and that's probably a recipe for a deep playoff run they've been looking for in this era.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #778 on: February 10, 2022, 10:56:29 PM »
At this point,  i don't think anyone is afraid of the Oilers. The offense can be lethal, no doubt, but right now even that part of their game is missing. Chad put it best: spectacular. And this truly has been a spectacle.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:45:12 AM by SchecterShredder »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: February 11, 2022, 04:28:09 AM »
Well, I knew this day had to come eventually this season.  The Flames are going to leapfrog everyone else to 2nd in the Pacific.  They also have games in hand to probably leapfrog the Golden Knights.  They'd be a team that I'm more nervous playing against than the Oilers.  They are playing Darryl Sutter hockey to the fullest atm and that's probably a recipe for a deep playoff run they've been looking for in this era.

The Flames are legit.  And Markstrom is a stud - 46 saves, and a lot of them really good chances.  The Leafs were unfortunate to hit 2 posts last night, and Campbell was fairly ordinary - hopefully he can get back to his all-star form... because it's (ironically) been since the day he was given the All-Star nod that he's completely tanked.

In other news, the Coyotes are now a University team.  How can the league allow a franchise to play in a 5000 seat capacity arena!?!?!  For three years!  There's no way that team can be profitable.  Just move them to Houston already.

The good news is that Boston's looking like a bit of a mess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #780 on: February 11, 2022, 06:20:38 AM »
This is why hockey is the ultimate team sport.

In basketball, if you have a top player, you are almost guaranteed to contend every season.

In football, if you have a top QB, you are almost guaranteed to contend nearly every season.

Meanwhile, the Oilers have had Connor McDavid for seven seasons now, have won one playoff series, and are trending to miss the playoffs outright this season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #781 on: February 11, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »
The Blues are a 'good' team but still short one quality Defenseman.....maybe two to be any sort of threat. Whether the GM wants to admit it or not....losing Petrangelo to free agency really gutted the D. While I still think that Vegas contract was a HORRIBLE contract for them......in the first few years it's not and he's proving why. Armstrong (and honestly me too) believe Paryako was ready to step up and fill that void/role but I don't think it's possible. Paryako is pretty good....but, he just can't get to that next level. The hole Petro leaving left is being felt still.

And....on another note.....Jordan Binnington is a train wreck. He's playing like he was 5th in the depth chart in the organizations goaltending roster which he was. I LOVE and appreciate that magic of 2019....it was awesome to watch and experience as a fan. Will always be thankful the dude showed up and was just lights out for two months and spearheaded that Championship Run. BUT....since then he's been average 'at best' and that's being nice. Horrid positioning and he allows at least two 'soft' goals a game. Just looks lost and like he's never played goal. Ken Hitchcock years ago called him 'swiss cheese' when describing him....saying he had hoes everywhere and it was spot on.

Ville Husso who 'was' the heir apparent back then but was hurt and that led to Binningtons chance.....is now healthy and playing lights out. I think at last glance he had a 1.3 or so GA %. Solid positioning and makes ALL the saves he should...where Binnington is now questionable that he can stop any shot that doesn't hit him in the chest.

Husso is a free agent after this season and the Blues signed Binnington to a 6 year deal at $6mil a year  :omg:  First three years full no trade clause. So, in short....we're  :censored  Unless Binnington somehow snaps out of it but I have zero confidence that happens. I think we're seeing the 'real' Binnington now and we're stuck with a 2A goalie that's earning 1A+ money.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #782 on: February 11, 2022, 08:08:26 AM »

In basketball, if you have a top player, you are almost guaranteed to contend every season.

In football, if you have a top QB, you are almost guaranteed to contend nearly every season.

Meanwhile, the Oilers have had Connor McDavid for seven seasons now, have won one playoff series, and are trending to miss the playoffs outright this season.

Tell that to Matthew Stafford
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: February 11, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »

I think you've proved Kev's point by referencing Stafford.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #784 on: February 11, 2022, 07:53:39 PM »

No because Matthew Stafford was a fantastic quarterback on a horrible team that could not get to the Super Bowl until he actually had a TEAM.

So I’m disputing the claim that a fantastic quarterback can get to the Super Bowl without a team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: February 11, 2022, 08:07:12 PM »

The thing is, McDavid is easily the best player on the ice whenever he is out there. How many shifts a game does he get? He's probably inches away from scoring on at least a third of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #786 on: February 11, 2022, 08:25:04 PM »
Hey Kev.

How's the Packers?
How's the Angels?
How's the Nets?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #787 on: February 11, 2022, 09:00:10 PM »

No because Matthew Stafford was a fantastic quarterback on a horrible team that could not get to the Super Bowl until he actually had a TEAM.

So I’m disputing the claim that a fantastic quarterback can get to the Super Bowl without a team.

Eh, at no point during his career in Detroit was Stafford considered a fantastic QB (and it would be revisionist history to now say that he was).   He was usually considered a good QB on a bad franchise, and many thought he was a stat padder who racked up good numbers at times due to always losing and having to throw it a lot in the 2nd halves of games.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2022, 09:00:25 PM »
Hey Kev.

How's the Packers?
How's the Angels?
How's the Nets?

Um, what?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #789 on: February 12, 2022, 10:11:00 AM »

Eh, at no point during his career in Detroit was Stafford considered a fantastic QB (and it would be revisionist history to now say that he was).   He was usually considered a good QB on a bad franchise, and many thought he was a stat padder who racked up good numbers at times due to always losing and having to throw it a lot in the 2nd halves of games.

We might be just talking past each other a bit here. Were almost saying the same thing but trying to make different points.

My point is that a quarterback needs a team in order to make him great. Be honest. What do you think Tom Brady would’ve looked like if he was playing for the Lions? Do you honestly think that he could have dragged them into the Super Bowl all by himself? I would say absolutely no. He would’ve looked like a good QB on a bad team who often had to pad his stats by throwing so often in the second half because they were losing the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #790 on: February 12, 2022, 10:48:55 AM »

We might be just talking past each other a bit here. Were almost saying the same thing but trying to make different points.

My point is that a quarterback needs a team in order to make him great. Be honest. What do you think Tom Brady would’ve looked like if he was playing for the Lions? Do you honestly think that he could have dragged them into the Super Bowl all by himself? I would say absolutely no. He would’ve looked like a good QB on a bad team who often had to pad his stats by throwing so often in the second half because they were losing the game.

I agree, but dragging them to the Super Bowl is not the same thing as contending nearly every season, which is what I said about the NFL earlier.  I would say if you are in the playoffs, you are a contender.  Barring a sudden turnaround, the Oilers will have missed the playoffs in 4 of 7 seasons with Connor (and a higher percentage of teams make the playoffs in hockey than in football).  I doubt you'll find a QB this century who was considered a top one and saw his team miss the playoffs in the majority of his seasons, unless we want to count Rivers as a top QB, and that might be fun just to see Stadler's head explode. ;) :P  Heck, the Saints had a below average defense for the majority of the seasons where they had Brees, yet made the playoffs in 9 of his 15 seasons there.  Since becoming a starter, Brady only missed the playoffs once (not counting 2008 when he played less than a game).  Peyton Manning missed the playoffs only twice (one of which was his rookie season after getting drafted by a 3-13 team).  Rodgers has made the playoffs in 11 of his 14 seasons as a starter (and one of the three he missed was when he was hurt and missed most of the season).  R Wilson has made the playoffs in 8 of his 10 seasons.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:55:59 AM by KevShmev »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: February 12, 2022, 06:28:26 PM »
I'm confused.

Watched the Bruins play in Ottawa this afternoon...no fans.

Watching the Leafs-Canucks in Vancouver tonight...fans!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: February 12, 2022, 06:32:30 PM »
I'd assume each providence is like states here. Each have their own governing rules for covid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #793 on: February 12, 2022, 06:40:32 PM »
Providence  :lol

Joe, don't ever stop being you. :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #794 on: February 12, 2022, 06:46:33 PM »
I believe in a couple of days, Ontario is going to give the ok to let half capacity in which will help the Leafs and Senators attendance.  Don't think you would see much of a difference in the Senators attendance, but that Leafs revenue it generates for their home games is really juicy and needed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: February 12, 2022, 06:46:41 PM »
Oops.

Oh I mean, "Oops eh?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: February 12, 2022, 06:49:03 PM »
I believe in a couple of days, Ontario is going to give the ok to let half capacity in which will help the Leafs and Senators attendance.  Don't think you would see much of a difference in the Senators attendance, but that Leafs revenue it generates for their home games is really juicy and needed.

Pretty sure the Leafs have half the attendance in Vancouver tonight. :lol

Oops.

Oh I mean, "Oops eh?"

;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: February 12, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
I'm confused.

Watched the Bruins play in Ottawa this afternoon...no fans.

Watching the Leafs-Canucks in Vancouver tonight...fans!

If you'd have watch the Raptors play at home to the Nuggets .... no fans.

Feb 21st, Ontario is allowing arena's to go to 50% capacity; 100% capacity is March 14.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #798 on: February 12, 2022, 08:56:29 PM »
The Blues are a 'good' team but still short one quality Defenseman.....maybe two to be any sort of threat. Whether the GM wants to admit it or not....losing Petrangelo to free agency really gutted the D. While I still think that Vegas contract was a HORRIBLE contract for them......in the first few years it's not and he's proving why. Armstrong (and honestly me too) believe Paryako was ready to step up and fill that void/role but I don't think it's possible. Paryako is pretty good....but, he just can't get to that next level. The hole Petro leaving left is being felt still.

And....on another note.....Jordan Binnington is a train wreck. He's playing like he was 5th in the depth chart in the organizations goaltending roster which he was. I LOVE and appreciate that magic of 2019....it was awesome to watch and experience as a fan. Will always be thankful the dude showed up and was just lights out for two months and spearheaded that Championship Run. BUT....since then he's been average 'at best' and that's being nice. Horrid positioning and he allows at least two 'soft' goals a game. Just looks lost and like he's never played goal. Ken Hitchcock years ago called him 'swiss cheese' when describing him....saying he had hoes everywhere and it was spot on.

Ville Husso who 'was' the heir apparent back then but was hurt and that led to Binningtons chance.....is now healthy and playing lights out. I think at last glance he had a 1.3 or so GA %. Solid positioning and makes ALL the saves he should...where Binnington is now questionable that he can stop any shot that doesn't hit him in the chest.

Husso is a free agent after this season and the Blues signed Binnington to a 6 year deal at $6mil a year  :omg:  First three years full no trade clause. So, in short....we're  :censored  Unless Binnington somehow snaps out of it but I have zero confidence that happens. I think we're seeing the 'real' Binnington now and we're stuck with a 2A goalie that's earning 1A+ money.

This is pretty much on the money, sadly.

If the Blues think they have a realistic shot to win the Cup this season, they have to go with Husso down the stretch.  He is playing fantastic, and Binnington looks broken.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: February 13, 2022, 04:25:02 AM »
VAN-TOR was a fantastic game last night - except for the outcome.  Leafs run into a stone-wall masquerading as an NHL goaltender for the 2nd game in a row.  Completely out-classed 18 of the Canucks last night, but Demko was incredible.  Leafs had somewhere close to 80 shot attempts.  Towards the end of the 3rd, it was clear they were looking to make the 'perfect' shot to beat Demko, cuz they missed the net a lot.  I tell ya, just get it on net, and good (ie, greasy) things can happen.  Tough to lose that one in regular time.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #800 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »
Man, I love watching Moritz Seider play hockey.  He’s getting better as the season goes on, and he had some dominant stretches of play in the Red Wings’ home and home against the Flyers this past week.  3 of his 5 goals have been game winners, and he’s leading the Red Wings, and I think all rookies, in TOI.  He should be the favorite for the Calder at this point. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #801 on: February 13, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about the Reign and thought, "how the heck would that help the Leafs and Senators?!"   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #802 on: February 13, 2022, 02:23:41 PM »
VAN-TOR was a fantastic game last night - except for the outcome.  Leafs run into a stone-wall masquerading as an NHL goaltender for the 2nd game in a row.  Completely out-classed 18 of the Canucks last night, but Demko was incredible.  Leafs had somewhere close to 80 shot attempts.  Towards the end of the 3rd, it was clear they were looking to make the 'perfect' shot to beat Demko, cuz they missed the net a lot.  I tell ya, just get it on net, and good (ie, greasy) things can happen.  Tough to lose that one in regular time.

That was a great game. The Leafs were laying it on thick for the last 10 minutes.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: February 14, 2022, 06:00:39 AM »

That was a great game. The Leafs were laying it on thick for the last 10 40 minutes.

Fix'd.  They outshot them something like 41-13 in the 2nd & 3rd period.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: February 16, 2022, 04:54:44 AM »
what the hell, Team USA!?!?!?!  Guess when it's not best-on-best, there's a lot more parity.