Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82383 times)

Offline jammindude

I watched that game live. I was almost 10.

Right? Me too! See? Just that memory alone should make you think twice. Legal doesn’t always mean “clean”.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

I absolutely HATE the old line, "keep your head up."

Is it a good idea to do so?  Of course.

Does having your head down make it not dirty for someone else to put a forearm to your skull or whack you with a stick?  Of course not.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
We know better nowadays... on so many things in life (not just hockey).  Hitters like Stevens could not exist in today's NHL.  He absolutely did hit with the intent to put someone out of the game.  When you end the career of multiple A-List superstars, I don't see how that can be considered a good thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Snow Dog

We know better nowadays... on so many things in life (not just hockey).  Hitters like Stevens could not exist in today's NHL.

Agree with both of these. Concussions weren’t well known about as much then as they are today. And a hitter like Stevens wouldn’t exist in today’s NHL given his style.  I’m not sure of his intent to injure players rather than just intimidate other teams and make them think twice about coming onto his side of the zone. But given the frequency and number of victims he’s made during his career, it’s easy to understand why people think that way.

And this is coming from a Devils fan who idolized Stevens as a teen.

FWIW, I think this hit is much worse than the Lindros one:
https://youtu.be/3sR-hjR0sms

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I loved how tough he was as well. Intimidation for sure but there always was a target to obliterate an apposing players and his aim was to hit up high.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
We know better nowadays... on so many things in life (not just hockey).  Hitters like Stevens could not exist in today's NHL.

Agree with both of these. Concussions weren’t well known about as much then as they are today. And a hitter like Stevens wouldn’t exist in today’s NHL given his style.  I’m not sure of his intent to injure players rather than just intimidate other teams and make them think twice about coming onto his side of the zone. But given the frequency and number of victims he’s made during his career, it’s easy to understand why people think that way.

I knew that was going to be the Kariya hit.  Given Stevens' history at that point in time in his career, nowadays that would be a lifetime ban!  :lol  hard to believe Kariya came back to score the goal that ultimately buried the Devils that game.  Too bad they couldn't complete the Game 7 win.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

I knew that was going to be the Kariya hit.  Given Stevens' history at that point in time in his career, nowadays that would be a lifetime ban!  :lol  hard to believe Kariya came back to score the goal that ultimately buried the Devils that game.  Too bad they couldn't complete the Game 7 win.

That was pretty much the last time I rooted for the team from Anaheim.  Could not stand the '95-'03 Devils.  Giguere was a ridiculous witch that season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
   Could not stand the '95-'03 Devils. 

I can't say they were ever a team I find exciting to watch, but they did clown the Red Wings in the '95 Finals, so I have a little bit of a soft spot for them.

Offline pg1067

Could not stand the '95-'03 Devils. 

I can't say they were ever a team I find exciting to watch, but they did clown the Red Wings in the '95 Finals, so I have a little bit of a soft spot for them.

Fair.  I didn't yet dislike the Wings at that point.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Could not stand the '82-'22 Devils.

FTFM
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn that was a frustrating game to watch last night.  Some very sloppy play by the Leafs, blowing a fourth 2-goal lead in 5 games during this road trip.  2-2-1 might seem like a respectable showing, considering 4 of the opponents are top 11 in the league, but when one of those losses is to Phoenix, and all four other games have seen them blow a 2nd or 3rd period 2-goal lead, it's pretty frustrating.

Shersterkin was a brick wall after letting in the 3rd goal, and Campbell was ordinary.

Offline pg1067

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's an every week ritual. The Bruins are on every Thursday night. To me, it's the perfect start to the weekend. So I sit down at 7 to pull the game up, and it's not on the Bruins' channel. Maybe it's national, they are playing the Caps after all.

Nope.  It's on ESPN+.  :censored :censored :censored

NHL...FUCK YOU!

What the fuck? This TV deal fucking blows.

So my only chance of seeing any of the game is through Live Drop Ins on the NHL Network, except that Mike Fucking Rupp is on tonight. Fuck him too. He hates the Bruins, although he did say that if they played Toronto in the 1st Round, they'd win. At least Weeksie is on to offset him. He loves Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

The only reason I’m not more upset is because E+ came as a free package deal with D+ and Hulu with my cell phone contract.

I know that it’s kind of bull crap because that’s exactly what they want you to do, but free bundle is free bundle. So I guess it is what it is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Next year, I'm buying the Center Ice package.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Rough night for the Kraken last night.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Let me guess...they played the Blues?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Let me guess...they played the Blues?

I knew you were smarter than you looked. :P :P

Offline jammindude

I feel like we have a pretty tough schedule. Almost every time we play someone, all I hear are reports about how amazing the other team is and how difficult this is going to be.

I heard it last night with the Blues, and I’m hearing it more as we stare down the Panthers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Clark Gilles RIP.

The Islanders of the early 80's were easily my favorite team.

I snapped this pic of Clark Gilles just under 2 years ago at the Nassau Coliseum. All of their greats were on hand for Butch Goring's number retirement. You can see Bob Nystrom behind him.

Oh, and today is Mike Bossy's birthday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Great picture Tim!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jets and Bruins are playing a Big Boy game today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I remember the Gilles name, as the Islanders were THE juggernaut when I was getting into hockey in the early 80s.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Sigh.... i have an inside source in the oilers org, and he said the Oilers are having a set of kane jerseys made. Deal expected to be announced as soon as the NHL makes an announcement vis a vis their investigation.  I truly despise this team sometimes.

Offline Anguyen92

I mean they won the last two games against division rivals when they were at the low point.  I honestly do hope Evander Kane can sort his personal affairs out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sigh.... i have an inside source in the oilers org, and he said the Oilers are having a set of kane jerseys made. Deal expected to be announced as soon as the NHL makes an announcement vis a vis their investigation.  I truly despise this team sometimes.

Dayum, dude.  Of all the issues that the Oilers have at the moment, I fail to see how Evander Kane can be a net positive for any of them.  The ONLY thing that might possibly make it palatable is if they sign him to a 1 or 2 year  league minimum.  Anything more, and it simply ain't worth the risk imo.

3-1 lead seems to be the Leafs' kryptonite.  Thankfully they squeaked it out in a SO.  They totally dominated the Ducks, who got Vezina-like goaltending out of Gibson, and gave the Ducks an own-goal.  Gonna chalk this up as another character builder!   :lol

Boston... ffs.  I'm conflicted.  I'm really starting to hate Colorado for some reason (probably Gary rubbing off on me).  But, I still maintain my stance of ABB - Anyone But Boston.  For every other team's sake, I hope the Avs are peaking now, cuz they look like they're gonna steamroll.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Lol Edmonton. $1M/ 1 year... but because it’s so far into the season, cap hit is $2M.  :rollin

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Lol Edmonton. $1M/ 1 year... but because it’s so far into the season, cap hit is $2M.  :rollin

I thought it was prorated. I have not verified that anywhere, mind you

Offline Anguyen92

Well, here's what it says on CapFriendly.  So I guess for players that signs a contract at the halfway point, it will get adjusted to what it could have been if it was signed before the season began?

Edit: Also, another note.  A solid Kings win against the Islanders today.  Quinton Byfield scored his 1st goal today.  Youngest guy since Drew Doughty in his 1st season to score a goal for the Kings and it was in Doughty's 1000th game.  It's all coming together piece by piece.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1486860876095242240
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 08:23:07 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought it was prorated. I have not verified that anywhere, mind you

Exactly.  Just not pro-rated the way you thought.   :lol

Offline pg1067

Edit: Also, another note.  A solid Kings win against the Islanders today.  Quinton Byfield scored his 1st goal today.  Youngest guy since Drew Doughty in his 1st season to score a goal for the Kings and it was in Doughty's 1000th game.  It's all coming together piece by piece.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1486860876095242240

5 out of 6 points in the three NY/NJ games is very nice (although the last couple minutes of that Islanders game was sloppy).  Hope they keep it up in Pennsylvania over the weekend and Detroit on Tuesday before getting nearly two weeks off.  Over that break they're going to need to figure out how to beat Western Conference teams.  The Kings are 15-5-2 against the East but only 7-11-4 against the West and, after the break, 29 of their remaining 35 games will be against Western Conference teams.  At least Petersen's been looking a little better in his last few games.

Offline crazy climber dude

14 wins by Colorado in January....most in that month by any team in NHL history. Good to see them starting to fulfill the expectations the pundits implied.

Offline Anguyen92

14 wins by Colorado in January....most in that month by any team in NHL history. Good to see them starting to fulfill the expectations the pundits implied.

I mean I don't think it was ever in doubt that the Avs would make it to the playoffs.  The doubt is whether or not they can fulfill getting pass the 2nd round.  They are not yet at the levels of the Bolts or Golden Knights as contenders until the Avs make it to a conference finals in this current era.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yep, we have heard this song and dance about the Avs the last two years, and both times they went home in the second round.  They are a paper champion in my book until they win a Cup.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's getting to the point where the Avs of this era have to be considered huge underachievers. Have they even made a CF?