Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 82768 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Count's Rangers are now about the only team I'd really be happy to see hoist the Cup.

They'd be the last of the remaining teams that I'd want to see win the Cup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

The Count's Rangers are now about the only team I'd really be happy to see hoist the Cup.

Edmonton:  Beat the Kings, McDavid's a douche, Draisaitl too, and Kane is a prick.
Colorado:  I guess they wouldn't be horrible, but I feel roughly the same about McKinnon as McDavid.
Carolina:  Meh...whatever.
Tampa Bay:  Absolutely the last team I want to see win and become the first threepeat team since...the Islanders in the '80s?
New York:  No real rooting interest, but definitely the least objectionable alternative (I also work with a couple guys who are fans).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Edmonton:  Beat the Kings, McDavid's a douche, Draisaitl too, and Kane is a prick.
Colorado:  I guess they wouldn't be horrible, but I feel roughly the same about McKinnon as McDavid.
Tampa Bay:  Absolutely the last team I want to see win and become the first threepeat team since...the Islanders in the '80s?
New York:  No real rooting interest, but definitely the least objectionable alternative (I also work with a couple guys who are fans).

Is this serious, or just lingering bitterness for them beating your team?  I've never heard anyone refer to either of these two like that. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline crazy climber dude

Not talked about a lot is that Kuemper didn't play well that for a lot of this series, so he can be had, and I think the Oilers will get their fair share of goals, but I just see the Avs scoring at will against them early and often.

Perhaps not nationwide, but there's a LOT of local radio talk show analysis of Kuemper struggling at times (esp. when he was flopping like a fish WAY out of goal and Manson bails him out). I think winning the series masks (see what I did there?) a performance like he had in Game 5.

Accordingly, this could be a high scoring series.....esp. if Rantanen and Makar wake the hell up!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Were they really asleep or did the Blues just do a shoot job defending them?  I think when you get two teams as good as the Blues and Avs, both teams are going to find a way to neutralize some of the best players on the other team and that is when the others step up. The Blues did a good job on MacKinnon for the bulk of the series, but obviously he had an incredible Game 5.  On the flip side, the Avs did a good job against the Robert Thomas line for most of the series as well.  That is why teams that win the Cup always get key contributions from the 3rd and 4th line guys, because teams in this league are too good and will find ways to neutralize the best lines at times.  I won't be surprised if the Avs find a way to keep McDavid and his line in check for a good part of the series.  It happens.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Were they really asleep or did the Blues just do a shoot job defending them?  I think when you get two teams as good as the Blues and Avs, both teams are going to find a way to neutralize some of the best players on the other team and that is when the others step up. The Blues did a good job on MacKinnon for the bulk of the series, but obviously he had an incredible Game 5.  On the flip side, the Avs did a good job against the Robert Thomas line for most of the series as well.  That is why teams that win the Cup always get key contributions from the 3rd and 4th line guys, because teams in this league are too good and will find ways to neutralize the best lines at times.  I won't be surprised if the Avs find a way to keep McDavid and his line in check for a good part of the series.  It happens.

For sure it does.  McD/Leo were in a real funk during that period leading up to Tippett's firing.  Weren't they like 5 wins in 20 games or something brutal like that?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

Yeah....outside of Kadri's one good game and MacKinnon's one good game (goal scoring wise) the Blues held all their big guns in check....which, if you'd told me that prior to the series starting I'd say we'd have won the series. But, the AVs second tier players outplayed the Blues second tier players. FFS....the Blues had (9) 20 goal scorers and none of them showed up. Some of that was Colorado being good....some was our players just not stepping up. It is what it is....F it. Still burns my ass that we were missing Krug and Binnington as I think it's a different series with a healthy squad but that's the nature of the game.....and I'm still grumbling internally about he seeding method as one side of that bracket was lethal....the other not so much....anyway.....here's to hoping the poster boy league darling AVs get beat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

Is this serious, or just lingering bitterness for them beating your team?  I've never heard anyone refer to either of these two like that.

I don't know.  For most part of the season, I feel that they are not the types to crack a smile at times (even during their good times).

Now, in this video back in January during their slump, the reporter was out of line for asking this question, but Draisaitl must have shown something to be asked, "Why are you so pissy?"

Leon Draisaitl Gets Into It With Reporter: "We Have To Get Better At Everything"

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich

I don't know.  For most part of the season, I feel that they are not the types to crack a smile at times (even during their good times).

Now, in this video back in January during their slump, the reporter was out of line for asking this question, but Draisaitl must have shown something to be asked, "Why are you so pissy?"

Leon Draisaitl Gets Into It With Reporter: "We Have To Get Better At Everything"

Draisaitl responded to Matheson, a HHOF inductee in the media category, something along the lines of "why don't you tell me what's wrong. You seem to know everything". In Dec-Jan there was a lot of local media starting to get on the "What's wrong with the Oilers? Here's my take" train, so my guess is Leon had recently read something he didn't quite agree with.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it was largely terrible questioning by Matheson.  For additional context and follow up - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nhl-oilers-draisaitl-exchange-beat-reporter-matheson-captivates-divides-hockey-world-191850370.html

Oh, and of the few reporters that came to Matheson's defence, Steve Simmons is an even bigger douche-waffle.  Toronto fans/players wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.  Not that most non-Toronto fans care much about this market/fanbase though.   :biggrin:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Yeah, it was largely terrible questioning by Matheson.  For additional context and follow up - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nhl-oilers-draisaitl-exchange-beat-reporter-matheson-captivates-divides-hockey-world-191850370.html

Oh, and of the few reporters that came to Matheson's defence, Steve Simmons is an even bigger douche-waffle.  Toronto fans/players wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.  Not that most non-Toronto fans care much about this market/fanbase though.   :biggrin:

No disagreement here lol. I loathe Simmons. Loathe

Offline pg1067

Little of both.

"Why are you so pissy, Leon?"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Regardless of what happens tonight, I’m incredibly proud of the way the Rangers played this season. They exceeded all expectations and went further than they were supposed to. I don’t have much confidence in the Rangers to beat the Lightning in a seven game series (or for the Hurricanes to do it for that matter), but this team has surprised everyone all season. However this season ends, it was a success in my book.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Too bad for the Canes that Antii Raanta didn't get hurt in the warmups.

Why is Frederick Andersson out again?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Conference finals here we come!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Too bad for the Canes that Antii Raanta didn't get hurt in the warmups.

Why is Frederick Andersson out again?

He’s even more injured than Ranta. Lower body. Missed the last 20 games.

Rangers had it good that they haven’t played against. #1 goalie yet. I predict they’re gonna get pasted by the Bolts   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Conference finals here we come!

Congrats!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline crazy climber dude

Blues did a great job. But they have been asleep all playoffs....it's not just this series. Rantanen has had a few assists here and there, but except for the cheap, last second empty netter....he has not scored by beating the net minder. You're talking about a guy who had 36 goals in the regular season. So 10 games in the playoffs 2022, and ZERO goals. The prior 43 games in the playoffs in his career....19. So it's not like the spotlight is too big for him. Haven't heard anything about him being dinged up.

And then Makar....he's had 3 goals, but clearly not playing like he's capable overall. I have seen him literally take over games. Now I have heard he might be injured....and we know you don't always hear to what extent for the obvious reasons.

Beyond that, I think it's easy to say teams are playing them tougher. They have had much greater success in other playoffs....you don't think those teams were playing them tough? And I think if you ask them, they would tell you they are underperforming.

So, I see this is a potential positive....in the sense that they have been so relatively quiet. Rantanen in particular. Makar's game is finesse and speed and maneuvering around the ice. Sometimes a series is super physical, and it can throw a guy like that off his game a bit. So I'll give you that....credit to the other teams. But Rantanen is a beast (they don't call him the moose for nothing). He's a big dude.....6' 4" and 215. He should be asserting himself out there. This series could be the one where he breaks out. If he does step up, and MacKinnon, Landeskog, Kadri, and Makar are scoring too.....then watch out Oilers. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
So basically, "if all of our best players are scoring a lot, we will be tough to beat."

That is quite the hot take. :lol :P

Online Anguyen92

^^ I mean all of their best players will be scoring a lot, but most likely, the Oilers' best players will also be scoring a lot.  I don't think the shutdown tactics that the Kings, Flames, or Blues that were attempted is going to be applied here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So basically, "if all of our best players are scoring a lot, we will be tough to beat."

That is quite the hot take. :lol :P

Seems like Edmonton’s top 4 are already doing that. Also, Kuemper is 22/23 goalies in the playoffs in goals against above expected. Mike Smith I think I heard was 4th.

This series is gonna be rockin methinks. The lights and horns are gonna be blarin.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I've joked with a few people I know who love to gamble that the Over in every game Oilers/Avs game is the way to go (6 1/2 for tonight, meaning the teams must combine for more than 6 1/2 goals), and I am good at making bold proclamations about wagers and then being really wrong, so get ready for a 5-1 Avs win.  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think your over 6.5 is safe. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Did anyone else think of Gary the instant the officials upheld that Avs goal that looked offsides? :lol :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't. i thought of you with the over/under.

Are you sure it wasn't 6.5 goals per period?

Mike Smith fucking blows.

And Wayne Gretzky with his blatantly dyed hair sitting on this panel is a bad look. Is he running out of money?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
If the Avs had a good goalie, these games wouldn't be close, but they don't.  One thing is for sure: whichever team comes out of the East will have a big advantage in goal in the finals.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I think your over 6.5 is safe. :lol
Definitely safe lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Fuck.

I would pull Smith right meow if I'm Woodcroft. .773 save %? No thanks

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did anyone else think of Gary the instant the officials upheld that Avs goal that looked offsides? :lol :P

No but I did think of Gary just now when Kadri was "pushed" into Mike Smith. :lol

Online Anguyen92

Mike Smith is a very confusing guy to analyze in these playoffs.  I'm willing to give him a Game 1 mulligan and wouldn't be surprised if they end up winning Game 2 and he did "ok."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Er, I meant the Avs will score more than 6 1/2.  :lol :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
This is like a replay of Flames / Oilers last series’ game 1.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There is no way Mike Sieve can start in any more games this series.

Online Anguyen92

Oh, but he will, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to be decent enough for the Oilers to pull off the win in Game 2.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
I bet he starts game 2