Author Topic: 9/11 related shows  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Harmony

9/11 related shows
« on: September 10, 2021, 08:54:43 AM »
Just when I think I've heard every theory and story of 9/11....

I've been going on a bit of a binge which is weird because up until this year, I've pretty much avoided 9/11 remembrance shows.  Not because I don't think it's important to remember but because I can't deal with the conspiracy theorists that seem to always go along with them.

I just happened on the very well done ABC's "The Women of 9/11" with Robin Roberts that aired 9/8 and then last night I caught most of HBO's Spike Lee's 9/11 Epicenters.  Both of these shows chock full of incredible stories of bravery and resilience.  For example, I'd never really heard much about the maritime response to get people off Manhattan after the towers went down.  I mean, I knew there were rescues there but not the extent.

Anyway, this weekend I hope to watch 'Worth' that dives into the story of the 9/11 compensation fund and the stories around that undertaking.

Anyone else watching related shows?

And as horrible as that time was, I just have to say that I'd give just about anything to see Americans pull together like that again.  Regardless of your politics, your religion, your race, your wealth status....we were all just humans willing to help one another survive.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: 9/11 related shows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 09:39:55 AM »
Worth was really good, but it mostly focuses on Michael Keaton's character and how he comes around from seeing victims only as numbers to taking stock of their personal stories and using that to help solve the financial equation.  I did learn a lot though, especially on reading up about the real guy that he portrayed.  He saved the economy from crashing.

I really like some of the documentaries that show actual footage.  There was one that I watched last year where a relative of a firefighter was doing a report on them and had video footage - they were the first fire truck on the scene. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
I remember seeing lengthy footage from a cameraman filming going towards WTC when it all unfolded, best and most terrifying footage i've seen of 9/11. I can't seem to find it though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »
I remember seeing lengthy footage from a cameraman filming going towards WTC when it all unfolded, best and most terrifying footage i've seen of 9/11. I can't seem to find it though.

You thinking of these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_and_G%C3%A9d%C3%A9on_Naudet

The Naudet brothers were in the process of making a documentary on New York firefighters, following Antonio "Tony" Benetatos, a rookie firefighter or "probie," through his experiences in New York City Fire Department (FDNY) academy training and into a firehouse.

On the morning of September 11, Jules accompanied several firefighters as they headed out to investigate reports of a gas leak in Lower Manhattan, leaving Gédéon in the firehouse to continue filming with Benetatos. On the way to Lower Manhattan, Jules and the firefighters had stopped at the corner of Lispenard and Church Streets when American Airlines Flight 11 flew right over them. Jules filmed its impact as it flew directly into the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC).

Jules went with the FDNY into the North Tower as they responded to the incident. He entered the lobby of the North Tower with the FDNY and filmed the fire chiefs as they set up a command post and sent firefighters up the stairs. While inside, Jules filmed the evacuating civilians and the firefighters' reactions to subsequent events, including United Airlines Flight 175 hitting the South Tower, the debris and "jumpers" falling from the upper floors, and obstructed communications. When the South Tower began to collapse, he took shelter with Battalion 1 Chief Joseph Pfeifer and the remaining firefighters, using his camera's floodlight to help them gather the wounded, lost, and deceased as they evacuated the North Tower. He followed the firefighters as they headed north and tried to establish another command post.

If yes, here's the full documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd6D5xls5Y0

It's a hell of a watch if you've never seen it before.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »

The Naudet brothers were in the process of making a documentary on New York firefighters, following Antonio "Tony" Benetatos, a rookie firefighter or "probie," through his experiences in New York City Fire Department (FDNY) academy training and into a firehouse.

On the morning of September 11, Jules accompanied several firefighters as they headed out to investigate reports of a gas leak in Lower Manhattan, leaving Gédéon in the firehouse to continue filming with Benetatos. On the way to Lower Manhattan, Jules and the firefighters had stopped at the corner of Lispenard and Church Streets when American Airlines Flight 11 flew right over them. Jules filmed its impact as it flew directly into the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC).

Jules went with the FDNY into the North Tower as they responded to the incident. He entered the lobby of the North Tower with the FDNY and filmed the fire chiefs as they set up a command post and sent firefighters up the stairs. While inside, Jules filmed the evacuating civilians and the firefighters' reactions to subsequent events, including United Airlines Flight 175 hitting the South Tower, the debris and "jumpers" falling from the upper floors, and obstructed communications. When the South Tower began to collapse, he took shelter with Battalion 1 Chief Joseph Pfeifer and the remaining firefighters, using his camera's floodlight to help them gather the wounded, lost, and deceased as they evacuated the North Tower. He followed the firefighters as they headed north and tried to establish another command post.

Wow never knew about these guys. No actually it wasn't those guys, it was CBS photojournalist Mark LaGanga footage, apparently CBS keeps taking his footage down but he had I think 30mins of video going towards WTC in an eerie and calm way filming people in panic.

Here's some of it but i'm pretty sure i've seen a more lenghty version with better quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61JOjMBBf8&ab_channel=MrKoenig1985
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »

That's exactly the footage that I was referring to.  I had never heard of that or seen what they had captured on film. 

My parents visited the national 9/11 museum in DC a number of years ago and my mom told me that she was looking at the artifacts and debris that was on display and she recognized something as the outlines of windows on an airplane.  She immediately got chills knowing that was a piece of the plane that struck the building.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »
"Man In Red Bandana"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
I don't want to put this on the 9/11 remembrance thread in the other section but this article is well worth the time to read. 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48031/the-falling-man-tom-junod/

I remember the first time I saw this photo and my initial response was pretty visceral.  It pissed me off that someone would think it is appropriate to publish it.  Hell, even taking it felt like a violation.  I was outraged on behalf of the man's family.

Now with the passage of time, I have changed my view.  Some of the most important photographic documents of history have caused visceral reactions upon first glance.  I feel this photograph is now firmly in that lexicon.  It is horrible to see.  It is important to remember.  It is vital to give grace to the man and his family.  It is maybe even representative of the 'everyman' factor of those who we lost.  This wasn't some hotshot executive.  This wasn't some brave first responder.  Those people also deserve nothing less than my full respect as well, don't misunderstand me.  They often get recognized in the press.  But the busboys, the janitorial staff, the gophers, the folks working the coffee cart and the mailroom.  These people often seem to get short shrift in our remembrances.  And this photograph helps me be mindful of all of the victims and the vast array of life experiences that led them to be in the towers that day.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:02:09 PM »
I don't want to put this on the 9/11 remembrance thread in the other section but this article is well worth the time to read. 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48031/the-falling-man-tom-junod/

I remember the first time I saw this photo and my initial response was pretty visceral.  It pissed me off that someone would think it is appropriate to publish it.  Hell, even taking it felt like a violation.  I was outraged on behalf of the man's family.

Now with the passage of time, I have changed my view.  Some of the most important photographic documents of history have caused visceral reactions upon first glance.  I feel this photograph is now firmly in that lexicon.  It is horrible to see.  It is important to remember.  It is vital to give grace to the man and his family.  It is maybe even representative of the 'everyman' factor of those who we lost.  This wasn't some hotshot executive.  This wasn't some brave first responder.  Those people also deserve nothing less than my full respect as well, don't misunderstand me.  They often get recognized in the press.  But the busboys, the janitorial staff, the gophers, the folks working the coffee cart and the mailroom.  These people often seem to get short shrift in our remembrances.  And this photograph helps me be mindful of all of the victims and the vast array of life experiences that led them to be in the towers that day.

I understand what you mean but I just don't quite agree... I have never met anyone that doesn't give respect to any of those people that weren't imfamous to that... I kind of think all of the good AND BAD humans of this world know and understand exactly who was affected by that day... A lot of people lost their lives, even years later from that day and I think that it was what it was, as was every historic tragedy i.e.WWII. as the future will hold more.... Unfortunately...Just my thoughts.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 12:37:06 AM »
Tonight I watched the first two episodes of Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror. It's a five part documentary on Netflix and is very well done. It starts with the unfolding of the horrifying events of September 11th then jumps back in time to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.

I’ve also seen the Naudet brothers documentary a few years ago. So harrowing. It aired on CNN again this evening.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 02:32:20 AM »
Tonight I watched the first two episodes of Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror. It's a five part documentary on Netflix and is very well done. It starts with the unfolding of the horrifying events of September 11th then jumps back in time to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.

I’ve also seen the Naudet brothers documentary a few years ago. So harrowing. It aired on CNN again this evening.

I watched Turning Point as well, I think it is really well done too. What a horrible cascade of events all around.

As an adult I have not really seen much 9/11 content (I was 11 when it happened and live in EU), it hit hard watching it now.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 05:16:49 AM »
If you have Disney+, they added a whole pile of documentaries on the subject.
My favorite is the one where they had to divert all the flights into the airports around Gander Newfoundland.
It's actually pretty exciting.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »

I watched Turning Point as well, I think it is really well done too. What a horrible cascade of events all around.

As an adult I have not really seen much 9/11 content (I was 11 when it happened and live in EU), it hit hard watching it now.

“Horrible cascade of events” describes things perfectly. One monstrous act resulted in a litany of terrible outcomes.