Author Topic: Rocky/Creed  (Read 2346 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Rocky/Creed
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
When I saw the first trailers for Creed, I had zero interest.  I assumed it was just another tired cash grab.  But I have since heard so many stellar reviews that I feel compelled to see it.  To kind of prime the pump, I am going back and watching the Rocky films.  It is been SO long since I watched them that, as I was watching I and II, I was shocked at how much I had forgotten.  Good films.  Any appreciators out there?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rocky/Creed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Red Letter Media reviewed Creed and Mike Stoklasa said the same as you. He had zero interest in seeing it but he loved it.

Jay is a self-confessed Rocky Series fan and he enjoyed it too.

They both agreed that Rocky V is terrible though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
We just got a boxset of all the Rocky movies, so we're finally going to watch Rocky 3 (never seen it properly). Not sure I've seen 2 properly either. I've seen the rest though, some multiple times.

I have zero interest in seeing Creed though. I think without Stallone in the main role, and not even being released anywhere near the 1980s, I'm not sure I could watch a boxing movie.

They both agreed that Rocky V is terrible though.

Everyone should agree Rocky V is terrible.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »
The Rocky films range from incredible to cheesy to awful.  Sometimes within the same film.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »
The Rocky films range from incredible to cheesy to awful.  Sometimes within the same film.

:lol Or in my case, incredible BECAUSE they're cheesy and awful. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »

And sometimes simultaneously.  But that is part of their charm.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »
The main thing I know about V is that it starred Sly's real life son Sage who recently died in real life.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
Rocky IV was the first Rocky movie I saw. I loved it. I watched the first one a while back and really didn't like it. Never bothered with the other ones.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »

And sometimes simultaneously.  But that is part of their charm.
I agree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:35:16 PM »
I, II and III are all totally awesome.  III isn't as driven by drama as the first two, but the Thunderlips fight is killer, and Clubber Lang plays an awesome bad ass.

IV was great at the time, but it is so 80s in retrospect, and not necessarily in a good way.

V wasn't good, but it did have one of the best lines from any Rocky flick - "Yo, you knock him down, why don't you try knocking me down now."  Great line, and perfect delivery by Stallone, conveying how angry and serious Rocky was after Tommy sucker punched Paulie.

Rocky Balboa was good, but didn't have the rewatchability of the first three.

I am sure I will see Creed, but I can't see me going out of my way to do so.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
I've heard nothing but glowing reviews on Creed. 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
I feel this needs to be posted again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWx1CkMTtI

Offline mrrct

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
I think that the fight between Rocky and Mason "The Line" Dixon was maybe the best choreographed fight in the entire series.  Maybe it was due to the casting (Dixon was played by a real, former light heavyweight champion, Antonio Tarver, instead of an ex-linebacker, bodyguard, or kickboxer).  The first of any series is normally the best, and I is no exception.  II was very cornball, and the fight itself was terrible.  III had its moments.  IV was essentially half-Cold War propaganda, half-music video.  V was dreadful.  Even the Don King rip off was low-rent even for Don King rip offs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:03 PM »
I, II and III are all totally awesome.  III isn't as driven by drama as the first two, but the Thunderlips fight is killer, and Clubber Lang plays an awesome bad ass.

I can't agree II or III were anywhere near awesome. But if professional boxing had more people like Clubber Lang, I'd probably follow it.

"What's your prediction for the fight?"
"Pain."

I haven't seen I all the way through in a long time, but I could watch the last 5 minutes every day for a week and not get sick of it. Mickey is telling Rocky to stay down, Creed thinks he's got it won, Rocky gets up, tells the ref he is ok, tells Creed to bring it on, Creed has the look of disbelief, and Rocky lays a crushing blow to the ribs as the bells sound. Together with the great musical score, that is one of my all-time favorite movie moments. Definitely one I would have loved to experience in the theater. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 10:23:47 PM »
Creed is one of the best movies of year!

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Huge Rocky fan.  Originally had no interest in seeing this, but now I'm really excited to see it.

FWIW here are my rankings:

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III

Rocky IV

Rocky Balboa

Rocky V

Still will always love the understated beauty of the first, but the 2nd and 3rd improved upon some of its aspects notably while also letting others slip (and letting in a little too much cheese in spots).  The 4th has too much cheese but a cool opponent and setting so it's at least redeemable.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
I like Rocky Balboa better than IV so just switch them and it's my list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »
R.I.P. Tony Burton.

He had some of the best lines from the entire Rocky series, especially from II.

"I saw you beat that man, like I never saw no man get before, and the man kept coming after you..."

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
Tony Burton was great in the Rocky series.  I wish he showed up in more of the movies/shows I watched.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 10:19:37 AM »
Rocky IV directors cut! So excited, bought tickets to see it on November 11. It will be available digitally on November 12. Official trailer: https://youtu.be/4qjV0bB2V0Q

I’m a little hesitant as to what changes have been made, as it’s probably an all time top 5 movie for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
I’ve yet to watch either of the Creed movies. Is it worth the time?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
IMO. Only the first one is good. The other one is… different.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 06:45:31 AM »
I’ve yet to watch either of the Creed movies. Is it worth the time?

I loved them both - it's a perfect place for Rocky to exist in that universe.  I never liked the Rocky Balboa film, which had him come out of retirement to fight again.  But I love where he's at in Creed - training the son of Apollo Creed and helping a new generation.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 07:10:48 AM »
Rocky IV directors cut! So excited, bought tickets to see it on November 11. It will be available digitally on November 12. Official trailer: https://youtu.be/4qjV0bB2V0Q

I’m a little hesitant as to what changes have been made, as it’s probably an all time top 5 movie for me.

Super excited for this as well!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
Honestly the only Rocky universe movie I didn’t like at all was Rocky V. II was a bit meh but mostly fine, and I’m one of the few who prefers the seriousness to the silly camp and thus didn’t love IV as much as everyone else. But I really liked Rocky Balboa and both Creed movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2021, 11:35:50 AM »

Hopefully the added footage will just be a 40-minute montage.