Author Topic: Overhead mics on Portnoy's kit question  (Read 2423 times)

Offline PMA

Overhead mics on Portnoy's kit question
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
I was going back and forth last night listening to the DVD's/Blu-Rays of Score and Budokan focusing on Portnoy's drum sound.  I noticed that he used 4 mics for overhead coverage at both shows (two on each side of the kit in a V shape).  Does anyone know what those mics are?  His kit sounded better at the Budokan show in my opinion.  Just curious about those mics in particular.  Not sure how to post a picture.

Offline pg1067

Re: Overhead mics on Portnoy's kit question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »
They looked a bit like AKG C214s or something of that ilk, but I only took a quick look at the Score video.  Do you have a video reference with a time stamp that shows them clearly?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
Even with the same mics, though, there are still a ton of variables in the collection of sound.

Offline PMA

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:20:02 PM »
They looked a bit like AKG C214s or something of that ilk, but I only took a quick look at the Score video.  Do you have a video reference with a time stamp that shows them clearly?

On the Budokan Blu-ray, there's a shot of Portnoy at 00:49:35 showing the two mics to his right side.  Need to check Score to find a time stamp on that.  Will post that when I have it.

Offline PMA

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
On the Score DVD, the time stamp is 1:16:55 for a good shot of them.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:40:29 PM »
Stads is right, the mics are only a small part of why it sounds the way it does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PMA

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
Stads is right, the mics are only a small part of why it sounds the way it does.

I agree with you both.  I just noticed a difference between the Budokan drum mix vs. Score with the former sounding better to my ears.  I know the kits are different and other mics on the drums may be as well but the overheads appeared to be the same.  I'm just curious about what type of mic those overheads are given most condenser mics are cylindrical vs. the AKG 214 that was mentioned earlier.

Offline ne9149

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 01:55:48 PM »
i think AKG C414

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
regardless of what the company is that is making the mic, you generally see a condenser mic for the overheads on drums, as you do at Budokan and Radio City as well. (and yes, I'm quite sure it's an AKG C414, although the positioning is unusual I think)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:26:08 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 03:48:50 AM »
Even with the same mics, though, there are still a ton of variables in the collection of sound.

Yes. Drum tuning. The Room acoustics. Bleed from other Drums. Possible phase issues. Mixing on the Desk. EQ. How far the overheads are from the drums.....Gating.