Author Topic: The Matrix: Resurrections - NEW TEASER - SPOILERS ahead  (Read 6885 times)

Offline newtree43

Re: The Matrix: Resurrections - NEW TEASER - SPOILERS ahead
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2021, 02:27:56 AM »
i just cant get excited for this. there is going to have to be some mindblowing philosophical progressions made in 20 years to really justify doing this movie. if its just same old tropes going to feel like a money grab

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2021, 08:49:40 AM »
Yeah, I'm struggling too.  The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's a stone cold classic.  However the sequels were poor, and since then the Wachowski's have given us Speed Racer, Jupiter Ascending which are both bordering on unwatchable and Cloud Atlas which was a very patchy adaption (admittedly it was never going to be easy to adapt)....but the fact David Mitchell is co-writing Resurrections just give me the tiniest of hope that this might work.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2021, 09:17:01 AM »
I've always approached this one with cautious optimism.

What they have shown so far is enough to get me into the theater. From there I'll keep my fingers crossed until it wins me over, but I definitely am excited to see it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »
I thought this would be released on theater only, but it is coming on the 22nd 3 am ET and 12 am PT on HBO Max

Can't freaking wait.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2021, 03:57:49 PM »
Over the last two days, I've rewatched the films, and I still rank them in the order of release:
The Matrix
The Animatrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

But this time around, I enjoyed the latter two quite a bit, even if there were parts that did bore me a bit (where I nodded off a bit, or found myself checking my phone), but the action and music really still hold up for me. I think back in 2003, I found Revolutions to be a bit of a slog to get through, but it's not much longer than most MCU films, so I think I found myself getting through it a bit better this time.

I also am quite a bit older and more seasoned in terms of the kind of stories I like, and since the last time I watched these films (well over a decade ago), I've grown to really like stories set in dytopian/post-apocalyptic futures, so revisiting the world of the Matrix was a lot of fun, especially with the backstory as seen in "The Second Renaissance" in The Animatrix, which I've always wanted to see a full-length film of.

Anyways, I am seeing Resurrections tomorrow afternoon, and I'm excited to see what they do with the story, especially considering how Revolutions ended!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2021, 07:54:11 PM »
I'm surprised no one else has posted their thoughts yet on this one.

I'm... a bit torn on this one. There were plenty of neat ideas and moments but there were also some questionable parts that had me a bit confused. It was *very* meta in many different ways, and the moments inside the Matrix were a bit hit or miss for me. The real world scenes were far more intriguing for me, which is a bit opposite of what I felt about Reloaded and Revolutions.

I am really glad I rewatched the prior entries in the preceeding two days as it did help me get some of the connections, including one surprising (but wasted) cameo of a returning character, but I think I'd rather watch Reloaded or Revolutions over Resurrections.

I'll be interested to see if WB wants to make more Matrix films depending on how well this does.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2021, 12:04:54 AM »
Watched it tonight with the kiddos. It was enjoyable…..certainly not on the level of the first Matrix but I thought it was a fun return to the franchise. No reinvented wheel or mind blown moments but I can see them throwing at least another movie at us from what came of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2021, 02:06:28 PM »
Watched it tonight with the kiddos. It was enjoyable…..certainly not on the level of the first Matrix but I thought it was a fun return to the franchise. No reinvented wheel or mind blown moments but I can see them throwing at least another movie at us from what came of it.

SPOILER BELOW:

As part of the dialogue in the new Matrix movie they mentioned that Warner Bros have requested 2 new movies, MATRIX IV and V, so maybe we will indeed see at least one more movie after this one.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2021, 09:21:53 PM »
One thing I did love was the massive ‘Sense8’ representation in the movie. Pretty sure there were four actors in the movie that were major players in Sense8

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
I think I'm somewhere in the middle on this. The original is in my top5 movies of all time and the sequels came out when I was around 13-14 so I have a lot of fondness for them even if they have flaws. If the first one is a 5/5 to me, I would still say Reloaded is like a 3.5 and Revolutions maybe a 3. I wouldn't say either of the two sequels before this were amazing, but if I decided to watch the original again, I would most likely watch Reloaded and Revolutions in the coming week because I like it overall, even with the decline.

This one for me had some interesting ideas but the execution felt a bit lacking. I was thinking of how to best judge this against the others and for me it comes down to how good were the best parts of the movie. And with Resurrections, I don't feel anything reaches the level of the Subway scene or the metal detector scene of the original, or the highway chase in Reloaded. Heck, even Revolutions which went overboard on CGI had some pretty memorable parts to it and some solid action. The action felt like the weakest part of Resurrections to me. I think the best action set piece was the bike escape through the city but even that scene didn't feel as exciting as some of those previous ones I mentioned.

I think the guy who played Morpheus did well all things considering, the guy who played Smith did well all things considering - but with the latter especially it almost felt like he had no reason to be in this story. I know that he is there because he's Smith and he's integral to these movies, but if you can't get Hugo Weaving and your script utilizes the character very little anyways, why even bother to throw him in? Neil Patrick Harris was okay but it felt weird how he went from being fully in control and overpowered to powerless in a few minutes.

Some interesting ideas and I still lean more towards the positive than the negative but if we're doing a franchise ranking I'd still put this towards the bottom - maybe even below Revolutions (because at least that one finishes the trilogy). I didn't mention Animatrix but that's also very good and I'd put that below the original but just above Reloaded.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2021, 11:14:17 PM »
I liked it a lot more than the Internet did, that's for sure.  The Internet is mad if they do the same thing and it's mad if they do something different.  *sigh*

The big question to be answered is what happened to Neo and how are they bringing him back and I think they handled it very well.

- They mentioned a Machine Civil War briefly so I hope they go more into that later.
- I don't like how New Smith called him "Tom" so often.  I think he said "Mr Anderson" only once.
- I REALLY wanted to see The Twins show up once Merv made his entrance.
- I thought the idea of the Synthients was cool.
- They didn't explain how Neo and Trinity only aged 20 years in the real world while others aged 60.
- I loved how Sati is back.

I'm probably forgetting some things.

How do I feel about Trinity also being a "The One"?  Not sure.  I don't think they explained it much more than a "Force Dyad" thing or maybe I just missed it... but with only 10 people in the theater it's not like there was any distracting noise or anything.  I know it was a Wednesday at noon but I didn't think it would be *that* empty.

Can Neo not fly anymore?  He was already in the building when Trinity flew in.  I also didn't feel any sense of triumph when Trinity started flying, it just seemed to come out of nowhere whereas every time Neo discovered a new power or whatever it was a genuine "whoa" moment.

I'm also still confused about The Analyst.

It wasn't as "cool" as the first three but I felt more invested emotionally in this one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
It was 3rd in my rankings of all 4 movies. I don't see the hate like most.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »
Also, The Catrixs.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
There were parts I loved and I think most of the throw backs were fun and done well. There were also cringey parts that I could've done without

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »
Now that I have had a full day to think about it, I think that this new one was ok, but ultimately unnecessary. Didn't really break any new ground outside the meta stuff which was just so so.

Also, it just dawned on me. I don't think a single person died in this film. Could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:31:33 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2021, 05:46:00 AM »
Saw it yesterday with jingle.son, and pretty much mirror all of the comments above.  It was definitely worth the $6 ticket price (1/2 price Tuesday).  Biggest beef (which Petfish mentioned), was Smith referring to him as Tom vs Mr. Anderson.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »
I wonder if Mr. Smith did that as a way to personalize because he looks at himself as an individual now instead of being in the collective like The Matrix.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »
Saw it yesterday with jingle.son, and pretty much mirror all of the comments above.  It was definitely worth the $6 ticket price (1/2 price Tuesday).  Biggest beef (which Petfish mentioned), was Smith referring to him as Tom vs Mr. Anderson.

I wonder if Mr. Smith did that as a way to personalize because he looks at himself as an individual now instead of being in the collective like The Matrix.

I'm guessing maybe it had to do with that their relationship in that version of the Matrix was that of a partnership.....and that Smith was drawing on or still connected to that partnership? It was more personal because they spent more time together?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2021, 05:48:31 AM »
Perhaps... my interpretation of it was that for all those "years" in the relationship of the CEO/Lead programmer of the gaming company, Smith was playing the part, but when it became clear that Neo was realizing he was still (or back) in The Matrix, Smith could drop the facade, and go back to being himself.  Hearing him call Neo "Mr Anderson" would've been much so much more satisfying, and offset the fact it we weren't looking at Hugo Weaving.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2021, 07:45:22 AM »
Saw it last night.

It definitely wasn't horrible, but to use my trademarked review, it was....dumb....for the most part. It had some really interesting ideas and concepts, and there was about 30-40 min of it I actually really enjoyed a lot, but so much of it was bogged down in what ended up being a silly story, convoluted message, and a very cringy first act, as well as an underwhelming third act, that I just can't see this movie as much more than mediocre. It was definitely the best Wachowski directed film since the first Matrix (though I haven't seen Speed Racer). But yea, the first act really felt more like a parody of the matrix than a new Matrix movie, the second act had some really interesting ideas, and then the third act just felt......lackluster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »
I loved it.

My rank:

The Matrix
Resurrections
Reloaded
Revolutions