Author Topic: 2021 NFL Pick'em  (Read 8083 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2021 NFL Pick'em
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
So, a question for everybody who isn't DOC or DA66:

It has always been my intention that this never end in a tie. Until now that's never really been a possibility. Now that it is, my inclination is to insert my standard tiebreakers, as we do in my money league. In the event of a tie line picks, and then, only if necessary, predicted scores will determine the outcome. These will not come into play unless there's a tie after straight W/L. Since this hasn't been brought up before I'm looking to see if this creates a problem with fairness.

The line has not been set yet. Since it changes, and different books have different lines, we go with what's listed on the group picks page on the Yahoo site. The predicted score can be set there, as well, but both of them would need to PM me their line picks. Right now it's looking like it should open around Rams-4, but that's likely to change, I reckon.

Anybody see a problem with this arising at this late date?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
I side with Ted Lasso on this:

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2022, 03:04:58 PM »
No problem from me.  Ties are for losers.  :) :) :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2022, 04:54:49 PM »
I’m good with it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2022, 10:14:54 PM »
I'd go 'total points', and do like 'Price Is Right', closest without going over wins ;)

Anyhoo, I don't mind ties.  I was co-champ in the survivor league, and I was happy with that.

I'm old enough to remember the Michigan State-Notre Dame 10-10 tie in '66, and my alma mater tied the record with four of them during a 6-1-4 season in '91 (of all things, Central Michigan beat Michigan State in their first ever meeting, 20-3, the 'easiest' game of the season).  Under the new rules, would I remember 8-3?  I doubt it.  The Chips went 10-0-1 for their only unbeaten season in '79.  That was better than 10-1.

(well, gotta get out of my rocking chair and take my dentures out .....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »
I'd go 'total points', and do like 'Price Is Right', closest without going over wins ;)
I think that would really only work if they were bidding against each other. What if one of them wants to pick 0-2?  :lol

I had the predicted score tiebreaker disabled in the Yahoo league, and it won't let me activate it now. Any suggestions for how to work that now? Total differential? Closest combined points (without the going over part)?

Also, part of why I was asking about the new tiebreaker is to find out if incorporating a line bet when one team is up by one adds an unfair element of strategerie. Any thoughts?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »
We have months to determine a way forward for next season.

As for this season, I'd be more than happy to PM Barto a total score prediction that we can use as a tiebreaker if needed. Yahoo won't recognize it, but we can here if
DA is down.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »
We have months to determine a way forward for next season.

As for this season, I'd be more than happy to PM Barto a total score prediction that we can use as a tiebreaker if needed. Yahoo won't recognize it, but we can here if
DA is down.
The line bet will definitely come before score prediction. There's far more skill involved in that. You guys can just PM me both before the SB.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2022, 07:57:55 PM »
This is the first time we've had the potential for a tie? Nice. I will defer to you gambling types on how best to resolve.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2022, 07:34:09 AM »
I'm not the gambling type and not familiar with sports betting in regards to point spreads or money lines etc.  I'll let you guys figure out the best way to resolve a tie and then you might have to school me on how it works.  :-[
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2022, 10:00:32 PM »
I'm not the gambling type and not familiar with sports betting in regards to point spreads or money lines etc.  I'll let you guys figure out the best way to resolve a tie and then you might have to school me on how it works.  :-[
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2022, 09:34:02 AM »
Alrighty then. Looks like the line remains Rams-4, so we'll go with that. DoC and DA66 need to PM me their line picks, and their predicted score. Again, straight win/loss is what matters here, and line/points will only come into play if y'all are tied in the official Pick'em. Since there is the possibility for stategerie to be in play here, I'd advise you two to no post your picks in the open.

It's pretty straight forward. The big brains in Vegas have determined that to bet on the favorites, the Rams, you have to give up 4 points. Which is to say that the Rams have to win by more than 4 points. If you bet on the underdogs, the Bengals, you're betting that they'll either win or keep it close and stay within 4 points. If the game ends with the Rams winning by exactly 4 points then it's a tie insofar as Vegas is concerned and all bets are off.

So, as it relates to this thing of ours, if you think Cincinnati is going to win the game tomorrow, then you necessarily think that they're going to cover the 4 points. If you think LA is going to win, then you need to decide if they win by more or less than 4 points. You could pick LA to win and cover, or you could split your pick and call LA to win but Cinci to keep it within 4.

As for the total points thing, which is pretty unlikely to be necessary, I'll be totaling the differences between each specific team. In other words, if you pick LA 3 and Cinci 47, and the Rams win 47-3, you're in deep shit.  :lol

By all means pipe up with any questions. Either here or by PM is fine.

Qapla'
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2022, 04:29:20 PM »
And with a concurrence, DoC is this year's winner. WTG.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
Sweet! Thanks for running this as always.

Y'all enjoy the game.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »
Wait, what happened?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »
Wait, what happened?

I was up by 1 and DA and I both took the Rams

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2022, 04:59:10 PM »
Oh haha I forgot the picks were visible once the game started. Our commish using a big word probably didn't help. Neither did that 3rd bourbon.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
Yeah, sorry I spaced it off.  Point is moot now.  Congrats D.O.C on the win.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »
And I'm quite thankful for that. Had you picked the Bengals but neglected to submit a tie-breaker it might have ended up kind of ugly.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »
And I'm quite thankful for that. Had you picked the Bengals but neglected to submit a tie-breaker it might have ended up kind of ugly.

Not really.  If that was the case, I would just have to forfeit the win since I forgot to submit the tie breaker.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
Final standings for the season.  Congrats to D.O.C for the come from behind win in the playoffs.  A top 2 is better than I expected.  Thanks to Barto for setting up the league.

Rank    Pick Set Name               W-L
1           D.o.C                       183-101
2           AAgent66                 182-102
3           Admiral Barto           180-104
4           T-ski’s Pick-ski’s       180-104
5           Tall Cool One            177-107
6           Professor                  175-109 
7           Dave                        174-110
8           Dragon Attack           171-113
9           Stadler's Folly           171-113
10         hefdaddy42               166-118

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2022, 10:54:47 AM »
Considering how poorly I started the season I'm pretty cool with a tie for third. It's noteworthy that all of our trajectories kind of reversed course throughout the season. The hot starters petered off and the rest of us slowly improved. I suppose when we were all bunched up around week 13 or so was when we crossed paths.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2022, 11:06:06 AM »
Satisfied with not being last after my dreadful start. Managed to haul myself into the peloton for a few weeks but the wheels fell off towards the end. All good fun though, thanks for running it Barto.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
I'm a little disappointed with myself for trying to be too cute early on, then I dug a hole I couldn't get out of.  I wouldn't have won, but I would have done a lot better if I could have remembered to stick with the plan!  :) :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2022, 03:09:25 PM »
I blew it the last week of the regular season.

What a travesty.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2022, 09:22:35 PM »
I suppose when we were all bunched up around week 13 or so was when we crossed paths.

Yes that was about when I took a nosedive.

(sadly?) this is my favorite part of the NFL season.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »
My prediction of Dave catching me sure came to fruition. We started on different ends and I crashed and burned and he hacked and slashed his way up. Well, I did crawl as close as 6 back but could never get over the hump and then crashed again. Typical.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history