Author Topic: DT has EIGHT anniversaries this month: 3 Studio Albums, 4 Live Albums, and ACOS!  (Read 2607 times)

Online The Letter M

So I was browsing the DT Discography article on Wikipedia and noticed that there were a whooping EIGHT album anniversaries for the month of September!

In 2021, the following releases celebrate:
Turning 28, Live At The Marquee (September 4th)
Turning 26, A Change Of Seasons (September 19th)
Turning 24, Falling Into Infinity (September 23rd)
Turning 20, Live Scenes From New York (September 11th)
Turning 13, Chaos In Motion: 2007-2008 (September 30th)
Turning 10, A Dramatic Turn Of Events (September 13th)
Turning 8, Dream Theater (Self-Titled) (September 24th)
Turning 7, Breaking The Fourth Wall (September 29th)

A shame that AVFTTOTW couldn't have come out in September this year as well!  :lol Looking ahead to October, however, AVFTTOTW joins four other releases from that month (Awake, SFAM, Once In A LIVEtime, and Live At Budokan).

Another interesting thing to note, I did not realize (or perhaps I forgot) that Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, and Black Clouds & Silver Linings all came out in June, just about two years apart from each other! Maybe that consistent grind of record-release-tour kind of made things a bit stale for them as those albums tend to get less favorable reviews from one to the next, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Let's celebrate all the albums with birthdays this month! Which ones are your favorites? Of the studio albums, definitely ADTOE, and from the live albums, I'd have to go with LSFNY - what a landmark show that was! I just wish we had a full, complete live concert video of the whole show! Instead, we've got some of it on DVD, and a couple extras on Disc 3 of the CD set. This year would've been the year to do it since the release is turning 20!

-Marc.

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

Which ones are your favorites? Of the studio albums, definitely ADTOE, and from the live albums, I'd have to go with LSFNY - what a landmark show that was! I just wish we had a full, complete live concert video of the whole show! Instead, we've got some of it on DVD, and a couple extras on Disc 3 of the CD set. This year would've been the year to do it since the release is turning 20!

Of the studio ALBUMS mentioned, it's DT12 > ADTOE >>>>>>>>>>>> FII.  But ACOS is my #1 DT song, and I like most of the stuff on side 2, so I might have to put that above DT12.

As far as the live stuff, it's LSFNY without any reservation (I even rank it above Score).  LAM is cool, but I HATE live versions of Metropolis where the bass solo is all but inaudible, so LAM is really all about TKH and Bombay Vindaloo.  For me, CIM and BT4W exist only as videos, and the latter is leaps and bounds above the former, although I really ought to give CIM another watch since I haven't seen it since around the time it first came out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

September is a big month for DT releases, no doubt! What I discovered recently that I thought was very interesting is that DT's two double studio albums were released on January 29. Crazy coincidence, huh?

BTW, Marc, I believe that the s/t album was released on September 23, as was FII.   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
September is a big month for DT releases, no doubt! What I discovered recently that I thought was very interesting is that DT's two double studio albums were released on January 29. Crazy coincidence, huh?

Wow, that's astonishing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online The Letter M

BTW, Marc, I believe that the s/t album was released on September 23, as was FII.   :)

I was going off release dates on Wikipedia, which had September 24th for the s/t album, which makes sense given that it was a Tuesday, the old release day for new music before everyone switched to Fridays, which for DT, began with TA in 2016.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

I was going off release dates on Wikipedia, which had September 24th for the s/t album, which makes sense given that it was a Tuesday, the old release day for new music before everyone switched to Fridays, which for DT, began with TA in 2016.

-Marc.
Strange - I just looked at the Wikipedia page for the s/t and it says September 23 right underneath the album cover, which is what I was going by. ButI checked and it turns out that was a Monday, so maybe whoever put the date in was going by the European release (which I believe was always a day before) as opposed to the American release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Wow, that's astonishing.

:facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
IMO, the clear loser from this bunch is Chaos In Motion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Octaversary.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Wow, that's astonishing.

Knowing DT they did it deliberately.

Offline jayvee3

FII for the studio albums and Breaking the Fourth wall for the live stuff are my picks. I really like LSFNY too, but the fact Fourth Wall is on Blu Ray and includes Mangini, allows me to give it the nod. I also really like the setlist and performance and that and Score generally get the most playtime of the live stuff...

Online HOF

Speaking of anniversaries, I was just reminded of the original Live Scenes From New York cover with the burning heart and the two towers being released on 9/11/01. They were supposed to have pulled them from stores, but I went and picked up a copy of the CD at the mall sometime later that week, and it had the original cover.

I imagine there must be plenty of copies with the original cover out there, but how many people here got the original v the replacement cover with just the majesty symbol? They may have just covered the original run with a sticker now that I think about it a little more.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:20:07 PM by HOF »

Offline jayvee3

Speaking of anniversaries, I was just reminded of the original Live Scenes From New York cover with the burning heart and the two towers being released on 9/11/01. They were supposed to have pulled them from stores, but I went and picked up a copy of the CD at the mall sometime later that week, and it had the original cover.

I imagine there must be plenty of copies with the original cover out there, but how many people here got the original v the replacement cover with just the majesty symbol? They may have just covered the original run with a sticker now that I think about it a little more.

I actually had both, the apple in flames with the twin towers and the changed majesty logo. It was definitely a proper cover and not a sticker on mine - whether that happened at any point tho I can’t confirm..