Author Topic: Shang Chi (Disney/MCU) Spoiler thread  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Shang Chi (Disney/MCU) Spoiler thread
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
So a few more random thoughts.

I agree that the ending was rushed and way too over the top, but the general idea was good. Just wished it was executed better.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much Chinese was actually spoken in the film. I was nervous it would just be a lot of English in thick accents. However, I also think there was too much English in thick accents at the end. When Awkwafina is around, I get it. But when it was just Shang Chi and his dad at the end, I think that should have been all in Chinese. Just a minor issue with me.

I read this as "The Brain" from Pinky & The Brain.

That’s fair. I read all of your posts as Pinky.  :-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
 :lol

Damn.  I thought I would have been Peter Griffin.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
I'll be dead honest I wasn't expecting any Chinese with subtitles so that surprised me. I mean it's just convenient writing to assume that a mysical Chinese land from another dimension speaks Chinese accented English. Of course, this is in a Universe where many alien societies also conveniently speak English so....

If you're referring to aliens seen in the GOTG films and in Captain Marvel, it's explained away that the characters who travel between planets/speak to different species have translator implants and so we hear what they hear (in English, as Peter Quill and Carol Danvers are our protagonists in their respective films) as a means to make it easier for us to understand.

-Marc.

Well that's just lazy writing.

At least there's an explanation. I don't think any such explanation was ever given out, on-screen/in-canon for much of the Star Trek tv series, where sometimes some species do speak their native tongues but a large majority of them read/speak English.

Then again, in the MCU, the universal translator doesn't always work because the Guardians didn't quite know what Groot was saying, outside of Rocket, for much of the first film, although Thor knew Groot's language enough to understand him.

I just think it's easier not to think too much about it when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy stories. The audience sees/reads/hears languages in English for the sake of the audience and not for any in-universe reason most of the time, so I'm fine with just suspending my disbelief.

-Marc.

As far as I can tell, Star Trek also has a universal translator. Its use makes no sense, since the way they said it works, you're really supposed to be hearing the original language and then a translation, but such is life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
Do you guys find that you focus more on the little things that bother you during the flim or after when you think about what you just saw?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2021, 12:04:13 PM »
Star Trek used the universal translator approach as well, even centered episodes around its lack of functionality and efficiency (Darmok). So the MCU writers are being even lazier by stealing the idea :p

Offline Adami

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
Do you guys find that you focus more on the little things that bother you during the flim or after when you think about what you just saw?

I think it depends on the film. A bad film, I will notice a lot of flaws. Like the lack of helicopter sound at the end of Army of the Dead. But a good film you generally will ignore or not notice little things. With Shang Chi, it wasn't so much a flaw as just something that would have created more emotional impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2021, 12:34:27 PM »
I'll be dead honest I wasn't expecting any Chinese with subtitles so that surprised me. I mean it's just convenient writing to assume that a mysical Chinese land from another dimension speaks Chinese accented English. Of course, this is in a Universe where many alien societies also conveniently speak English so....

If you're referring to aliens seen in the GOTG films and in Captain Marvel, it's explained away that the characters who travel between planets/speak to different species have translator implants and so we hear what they hear (in English, as Peter Quill and Carol Danvers are our protagonists in their respective films) as a means to make it easier for us to understand.

-Marc.

So, I started reading about this and it looks like they hinted at this in GOTG and Captain Marvel. I guess I just never really thought of it, but here is a scene from Captain Marvel where they reference a Universal Translator.

https://youtu.be/tGYFUrVD94k?t=9
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2021, 12:37:18 PM »

-Marc.

So, I started reading about this and it looks like they hinted at this in GOTG and Captain Marvel. I guess I just never really thought of it, but here is a scene from Captain Marvel where they reference a Universal Translator.

https://youtu.be/tGYFUrVD94k?t=9

Yup, it's just one of those things you can't think about very much. Or else you'll start wondering how Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and Peter Parker all perfectly understood the non-human Guardians or even Thanos for that matter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
For translations, I've always thought that The Hunt for Red October did it best.  For the first few minutes on the sub, everyone was speaking Russian.  Then, as the KGB officer was reading a passage from a book, the camera zoomed in on his mouth, and then everything switched to English, and then the camera panned back.  The insinuation being that the characters were still speaking Russian to each other, but the movie audience wouldn't have to read subtitles the whole movie.  I found that to be a very good way of melding the convenience of no subtitles, with the 'reality' the characters would still be speaking their native language.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »

Depends on the post.  :justjen
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2021, 02:40:08 PM »

Depends on the post.  :justjen

:getoffmylawn:    :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 05:34:09 AM »
Finally saw this last night. I quite enjoyed it. One of the better MCU origin films. Yeah the third act was an over the top CGI fest, but that's par for the course at this point. I normally can't stand Akwafina and she was pretty good in this role.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »
For translations, I've always thought that The Hunt for Red October did it best.  For the first few minutes on the sub, everyone was speaking Russian.  Then, as the KGB officer was reading a passage from a book, the camera zoomed in on his mouth, and then everything switched to English, and then the camera panned back.  The insinuation being that the characters were still speaking Russian to each other, but the movie audience wouldn't have to read subtitles the whole movie.  I found that to be a very good way of melding the convenience of no subtitles, with the 'reality' the characters would still be speaking their native language.

That's a great scene, and yeah, one of the best examples of letting the audience know about "the switch".  Switching languages, flipping the translator switch in your head, however you want to think of it.  Probably the best example, actually.

Anyway, we saw it Friday night in a cinema, so that was cool.  I loved it, she loved it.  Very Asian, very action, very CGI, very fun.  The dragon fight threatened to be too over-the-top so they kinda kept it short so now it feels rushed but whatever, it was very fun.

Yay for Wong, the obvious way to connect Shang-Chi to the rest of the MCU.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2021, 06:43:19 PM »
Just saw it finally. I was really impressed.

Some sites have been reporting that the MCU is on a downturn and I just don’t see it at all. Between this and the Eternals trailer…I think we’re heading for something even bigger.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2021, 03:15:55 PM »
Just watched it. Was fine. Not in any way bad.

Loved all the creatures, esp the dragons. The soul-sucking thing was cool. I didn't really feel anything after about half way through.

Enjoyed Eternals more.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
I enjoyed it much more on the second go, especially the fight scenes, so well choreographed

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2021, 05:25:18 PM »
At some point, I'll be re-watching it with jingle.daughter (since she didn't join us in the theaters) - but probably not until Christmas break.  Very much looking forward to seeing it again, for precisely the reason you stated, Cheffy
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »
I thought it was great. That being said, I probably won't watch it again, but I'm looking forward to seeing the characters in the future. I had a good time.

But that expository dialogue from Katy... @!$# Can these high paid MCU writers (or any other writers in Hollywood who write the same shit) seriously not think of a way to convey that these two are friends of many years other than "we've been friends for 10 years"? "Oh we have, I must have forgotten."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2021, 09:10:32 AM »
Finally saw this.  Very entertaining!  Maybe middle of the MCU pack or slightly above, for my tastes, after one viewing.  Definitely a CGI-fest in the final battle, but hey, what are you going to do?  The design on the Dweller in Darkness was horrifying.  I liked the mid-credits scene, as well.  The martial arts action was unbelievable.

Will re-watch as soon as possible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
I thought it was a great movie.  I like when Marvel pulls in the cultural elements (Black Panther) and puts their superhero in a world that is true to where they live and how they have been raised.  It makes it more interesting than standard superhero lore.

I had read virtually nothing about the film prior to watching it.  So I was really thrown for a loop when the dialogue was in Chinese at the beginning, and started futzing with my Roku to see if the audio track had been changed from English.   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »
Having seen it a second time now, I still feel about the same as when I initially posted after seeing it in theaters:
Was loving the movie up to about the mid-point.  When they were locked away and heard strange sounds coming from somewhere, I guessed that it was Trevor and whispered that to my daughter.  I was giddy when it turned out to be him.  But almost immediately right after that, everything seemed so forced.  It was visually stunning, and incredibly well-choreographed.  But the writing and acting seemed very forced and contrived from that point forward. 

Still, a good movie.  If it were as consistently good all the way through as the first half, it would definitely be up near the top, probably just behind the Avengers films and Homecoming.  As it is, it is somewhere nearer to the bottom with Black Panther.  I don't expect Marvel to hit a home run every time.  A few walks and infield singles are just fine in the grand scheme of things.  Film-wise, phase 4 is pretty pedestrian so far, so I'm glad I'm not expecting huge things.  It's Marvel.  It's fun.  And getting so much right about Chinese culture is a nice bonus.

Still kinda felt the same about how the film was divided too.  With the Trevor reveal, I was like "Yay, Trevor!  Love me some Trevor!"  But then every scene he was in just felt like it went nowhere. 

Overall, I just found it hard to be invested in the characters and the conflict.  But then again, that is often a "problem" with the standalone solo superhero movies, IMO.  Iron Man was a really good movie.  But it wasn't great.  What made the character and his conflicts great was that they built far beyond what we saw in the first film.  And to different degrees, I think that's true of most of the films.  So, I'm not necessarily knocking this film for it.  I just don't overly care for Shang Chi or Katy...yet.  But I look forward to seeing how they fit into the bigger picture as time goes on. 

I will say this though as a criticism, and I have no idea whether this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but here goes:  I continue to be frustrated by Akwafina's casting.  Having seen her in a few different things now, I think she is developing into a pretty good actress.  She can be perfectly believable being quirky, sincere, and a whole range of other things.  That said, it seems like she also has a really difficult time shedding her past (or those that write for her do).  She consistently (not just in this movie) has lines of dialog where it feels like her only job is to drop gratuitous, crass profanity that sounds like a 12 year old that just discovered swear words.  It's both offputting and unnecessary.  And the other issue I have in this film in particular is that I feel like they tried to do a bit too much with her, without her character having earned it.  And it is, again, unnecessary.  She is GREAT as a sidekick.  I feel like she significantly elevates the movie as a sidekick.  She doesn't need to be more than that, and I feel like the movie actually suffers a bit from trying to make her more than that.  It's cool that Marvel has been leaning into presenting women as strong and independent.  It often works great (e.g. virtually every female character in Black Panther), even if it may sometimes feel a bit too on the nose.  But there's no need to try to do that with every major female character in every film.  And this was a case where, IMO, it didn't work.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
Watched the Making of last night, good stuff. The attention to detail surrounding the fight scenes, and everything in general as it pertained to Chinese culture, was done with as much respect as possible. I love that Marvel does this, and that respect is reflected in all the main actors.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
On D+?  I was looking for something like that under "extras" when I watched it Friday night, but there wasn't anything there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
On D+?  I was looking for something like that under "extras" when I watched it Friday night, but there wasn't anything there.

It's under the Marvel Studios Assembled series. They also got Black Widow which was really good as well. Never get enough of Florence Pugh. Gonna watch the What If? one when I get home today

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
I love those.  They give me so much greater of an appreciation for the films. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
Watched the Making of last night, good stuff. The attention to detail surrounding the fight scenes, and everything in general as it pertained to Chinese culture, was done with as much respect as possible. I love that Marvel does this, and that respect is reflected in all the main actors.

Oohhh... giddy up!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »

Oohhh... giddy up!
:imonahorse:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2021, 03:18:18 PM »
Finally saw this.  Very entertaining!  Maybe middle of the MCU pack or slightly above, for my tastes, after one viewing.  Definitely a CGI-fest in the final battle, but hey, what are you going to do?  The design on the Dweller in Darkness was horrifying.  I liked the mid-credits scene, as well.  The martial arts action was unbelievable.

The fight on the side of the building was straight out of a Jackie Chan movie, and Katy suddenly singing Hotel California cracked me up.

Also, the actress who played Katy sounded so much like Scarlett Johansson that it was a little distracting.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
Also, the actress who played Katy sounded so much like Scarlett Johansson that it was a little distracting.

Awkwafina? I don't hear it at all :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »

Awkwafina? I don't hear it at all :lol

They both kind of have a raspy quality to their voice, so I can understand why someone would think they sound similar, but that's really where it ends I think.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2021, 05:38:23 PM »
She sounds like an old Jewish lady. She is absolutely hilarious and what a great role.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2021, 07:31:52 AM »

The fight on the side of the building was straight out of a Jackie Chan movie, and Katy suddenly singing Hotel California cracked me up.

Parts of the bus fight also reminded me of Jackie Chan.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »

Parts of the bus fight also reminded me of Jackie Chan.
My wife, who is not normally into kung-fu films at all, asked during the film if Jackie Chan had helped with the fight choreography.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2021, 10:23:44 AM »
I think that's pretty good anecdotal evidence that they achieved what they were going for.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2021, 10:25:00 AM »
I think that's pretty good anecdotal evidence that they achieved what they were going for.
Probably so.