Author Topic: Dream Theater's most beautiful ballad.  (Read 5535 times)

Offline pcs90

Re: Dream Theater's most beautiful ballad.
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »
Beneath the Surface, Chosen and TSCO for me...
And also Eve, I mean that's basically a ballad.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
Lifting Shadows and This is the Life take the cake, and share it, for me. 

This is the Life has a very personal tie for me because my father passed in 2012 (actually yesterday was the 9th anniversary) and he had a habit of saying "this is the life isn't it son" when we would sit on the beach.  Year after year, from the early 90s through our final family trip in 2011 he would say that to me.  BIG song for me personally.  I had the chance to thank JP in-person for those lyrics in DC in 2012.

Plus the solo is all kinds of David Gilmour and kicks me in the a$$ when I play it (or try to :biggrin:)

Those are both excellent choices.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2021, 02:03:12 PM »
Lifting Shadows is my favorite ballad, though Beneath the Surface is close.
The first one I find to be quite emotional and just an amazing musical journey. The song builds up super nice and smooth from one section to the other until it reaches that climax almost at the end of the song, just to go back to where it began. On top of that, the contrast between the chorus and the verses is just perfect. It is a great example of what I love about early DT.
Beneath the Surface on the other hand, is much more concise, but nonetheless a beautiful piece of music. Everything about this song brings me peace and quiet. The string arrangement is a fantastic detail that adds an interesting layer to the song. I feel the song would still be quite good without it, but that puts it above other beautiful songs they've done in the past.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2021, 02:53:27 AM »
Lifting Shadows is my favorite ballad, though Beneath the Surface is close.
The first one I find to be quite emotional and just an amazing musical journey. The song builds up super nice and smooth from one section to the other until it reaches that climax almost at the end of the song, just to go back to where it began. On top of that, the contrast between the chorus and the verses is just perfect. It is a great example of what I love about early DT.
Beneath the Surface on the other hand, is much more concise, but nonetheless a beautiful piece of music. Everything about this song brings me peace and quiet. The string arrangement is a fantastic detail that adds an interesting layer to the song. I feel the song would still be quite good without it, but that puts it above other beautiful songs they've done in the past.

I very much agree with your analyses.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2021, 11:14:01 AM »
 :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2021, 03:03:50 AM »
For me it's:

Hollow Years
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Far From Heaven (I love it especially for the Twin Peaks cadence part  :hefdaddy )
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2021, 03:28:33 AM »
It's impossible for me to choose, because there are like 10 glorious ballads that I cannot rank.

But
They have so many beautiful ballads but I think Goodnight Kiss might be the most beautiful of them all.
This is just truth and I am amazed I only saw this name once, it's one of most heartmelting song I heard in my life, and the solo makes you visit from hell to paradise...A masterpiece.

Bonus track : Heaven's cove, on par with diablo games soundtrack :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2021, 03:39:29 AM »
It's impossible for me to choose, because there are like 10 glorious ballads that I cannot rank.

But
They have so many beautiful ballads but I think Goodnight Kiss might be the most beautiful of them all.
This is just truth and I am amazed I only saw this name once, it's one of most heartmelting song I heard in my life, and the solo makes you visit from hell to paradise...A masterpiece.

Bonus track : Heaven's cove, on par with diablo games soundtrack :D

I absolutely love Heaven’s Cove, but surely that can’t be classed as a ballad?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2021, 03:57:56 AM »
Could never go with one, but here's my selection:

Begin Again (that outro)
Anna Lee
Out Of Reach (very underappreciated imo)
This Is The Life
Wither
Another Day
any rock can be made to roll

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2021, 09:25:21 AM »

This is the Life has a very personal tie for me because my father passed in 2012 (actually yesterday was the 9th anniversary) and he had a habit of saying "this is the life isn't it son" when we would sit on the beach.  Year after year, from the early 90s through our final family trip in 2011 he would say that to me.  BIG song for me personally.  I had the chance to thank JP in-person for those lyrics in DC in 2012.

Wow, man. Wow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
So in the year exactly that you made your final family trip, This Is the Life was released in a Dramatic Turn of Events. Now that's something special.
And also the lyrics pointed out pretty much the same message as he did, although it looks like it, through your story. There is a thin line between grieving and a blessing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 07:22:47 AM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2021, 05:58:54 PM »
happy to see Out of Reach getting the recognition it deserves on this thread! I am surprised so many people don't dig it.

I think This is the Life is another great ballad with a memorable riff.