Author Topic: Dream Theater's most beautiful ballad.  (Read 5598 times)

Offline mariner

Re: Dream Theater's most beautiful ballad.
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
The Spirit Carries On by a country mile.

Yes sir!  Wholehearted agreement on this.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:45 AM »
Yea I have to agree with spirit carries although the sax alt. version of Through her eyes.  :heart

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2021, 11:30:44 AM »
Lifting Shadows and This is the Life take the cake, and share it, for me. 

This is the Life has a very personal tie for me because my father passed in 2012 (actually yesterday was the 9th anniversary) and he had a habit of saying "this is the life isn't it son" when we would sit on the beach.  Year after year, from the early 90s through our final family trip in 2011 he would say that to me.  BIG song for me personally.  I had the chance to thank JP in-person for those lyrics in DC in 2012.

Plus the solo is all kinds of David Gilmour and kicks me in the a$$ when I play it (or try to :biggrin:)
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »
I have to go with:

Disappear
Begin Again
Wither
Beneath the surface

in that order.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »
There are some gorgious favorites passing along in here. With Beneath the Surface being my number one pick, Goodnight Kiss would be a close second. And Lifting Shadows Off a Dream, Hollow Years (Budokan version) and Anna Lee aren't far off eather.

I remembered the first time I heared Out of Reach, it blown me away and I got the feeling it will age very well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
So with everyone gushing over it, I'm giving This is the Life another shot.

The music between the drums kicking in and the vocals starting is nice. The rest? I am just not connecting with it at all. Music seems by the numbers and lyrics just are not very interesting to me. I get the nice sentiment, but I guess I just don't care for how they're written? I dunno. Clearly just not a song for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 01:28:54 PM »
For me, it's Space Dye Vest.  After that, I'd go:

Beneath the Surface
Disappear
Out of Reach
Wait for Sleep
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hacko

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2021, 02:40:39 PM »
I might get some flak, but legit Hollow Years.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
I love The Spirit Carries On solo and vibe but it's kept from my top ballads list by the super-plain lyrics.

"I'm writing this song"

"What's it about?"

"The big stuff. You know. Where we come from. Why we're here. Where we go when we die."

"Ooo. That is big stuff. Show us your lyrics, then.... *reads* ...Ah. Right."
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
I love The Spirit Carries On solo and vibe but it's kept from my top ballads list by the super-plain lyrics.

"I'm writing this song"

"What's it about?"

"The big stuff. You know. Where we come from. Why we're here. Where we go when we die."

"Ooo. That is big stuff. Show us your lyrics, then.... *reads* ...Ah. Right."

That's not why it's written though.

It's Nicholas contemplating those questions, and pondering about the how's and why of Victoria dying young, and him having these dreams of a past life. It's where Nicholas comes to accept that there is more out there, and Victoria comes to him saying to move on now and live your life as Nicholas. It's like a soul coming to terms with itself and it's past life by accepting it's death. And now, Nicholas is not frightened of dying anymore (which "Frightened of dying" is a great sort of lyrical nod to Pink Floyd and the quote from Dark Side of The Moon, "I am not frightened of dying. Why should I be everyone has to go sometime.") and says "If I die tomorrow, I'll be alright because I believe, that after we're gone, the spirit carries on." Which when you finish the album and the ending gets revealed, those lyrics become a dark foreshadow.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »
Yeah, it's part of the story, sure. And I like the "safe in the light that surrounds me" part but those early sections are really clunky, imo.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2021, 09:47:44 AM »
Space-dye Vest
Disappear
Eve
Far from Heaven

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
The Beautiful Agony section of a Nightmare To Remember for me, then Goodnight Kiss.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 02:11:17 PM »
I think the universe of DT "ballads" is as follows:

Another Day
Wait for Sleep
The Silent Man
Lifting Shadows off a Dream (?)
Hollow Years
Anna Lee
Through Her Eyes
One Last Time (?)
The Spirit Carries On (?)
Disappear
Vacant
The Answer Lies Within
Repentance (?)
Wither
This is the Life
Far from Heaven
Beneath the Surface
Along for the Ride
-- a bunch of songs on TA --
Out of Reach

Someone else can fill in the TA songs, but did I otherwise miss any?

Out of those songs, my top 5, in no particular order, are probably Wither, Along for the Ride, One Last Time, Hollow Years, and Lifting Shadows.

If "beautiful" means something other than "favorite," I'm not sure I totally appreciate the distinction.

I do miss Best of Times. And you do not consider Goodnight Kiss and Solitary Shell as stand-alone-ballads, but those from Scenes From a Memory are involved…to me there isn’t much different.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »
I do miss Best of Times. And you do not consider Goodnight Kiss and Solitary Shell as stand-alone-ballads, but those from Scenes From a Memory are involved…to me there isn’t much different.

It didn't occur to me to parse the sections of SDOIT, but yeah, Goodnight Kiss should be on the list (as does Space-Dye Vest).  I don't think either Solitary Shell or Best of Times is a ballad.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:23:30 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gborland

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2021, 02:48:27 PM »
Another Day.

First time I saw DT at the Cathouse in Glasgow, back in 1993, and I was standing right at the front mere INCHES from JP while he ripped out that beautiful, gorgeous solo. That has cemented it for me as the greatest ballad in the universe.
Graham Borland

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2021, 02:51:41 PM »
If I could choose Space-Dye Vest, it's easily that one.

If not, then probably either The Spirit Carries On or Lifting Shadows off a Dream.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2021, 07:08:07 AM »
Does Chosen count as a ballad?

I'll toss in Wither and The Answer Lies Within as well.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2021, 01:01:30 PM »
It didn't occur to me to parse the sections of SDOIT, but yeah, Goodnight Kiss should be on the list (as does Space-Dye Vest).  I don't think either Solitary Shell or Best of Times is a ballad.

Interesting that you do not consider Best of Times a ballad. It is a slow hommage to love, therefore to me a ballad for sure. Solitary Shell is indeed a bit of doubtful, as is Space Dye Vest for me, due to it's dark tone overall.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Through her Eyes is my favorite DT ballad.Always gets me emotional,and back in 2000 in my first DT live,i remember crying listening to it.
Another Day is another favorite too.
The spirit carries on.
Hollow Years.
The Answer lies within is a great song too,brings me back memories from '05.
Eve is one of my favorites too.
Hourglass from LTE also

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
Unpopular opinion: I love Anna Lee (And Derek's revisiting it in one of his solo albums).

DT has a surprisingly good catalog of ballads IMO - each one in ADTOE can be top 5 (ballads). TSCO is probably my favorite because of the story, the music, the album. It's no surprise it was one of the chosen songs for the drummer audition.

Does "Take Away My Pain" count?

Father in law passed away a few years ago and I can't listen to it without crying a bit...

I think so? another powerful one given the subject of the song. You can tell it was written from the heart.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
I'll make a controversial pick: Out of Reach

Maybe not the very best, but it's up there for me.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »
I'll make a controversial pick: Out of Reach

Maybe not the very best, but it's up there for me.

Not controversial at all - it’s a beautiful song and I agree, one of the very top echelon ballads they have done. Wonderful feeling and emotion.

I do think sometimes some are reluctant to rank the newer songs because they haven’t spent as much time with them. And I feel this one slipped through a bit, as it was placed later in the album and wedged in between some monsters. But it is a phenomenal track, it’s one I rarely skip, if ever…

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »
If I could choose Space-Dye Vest, it's easily that one.

If not, then probably either The Spirit Carries On or Lifting Shadows off a Dream.

I often forget about everything ADTOE onwards, but it just occurred to me that Far From Heaven exists too and that's a beautiful track.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »

Sorry for asking, but which one is Eve?

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2021, 01:30:51 AM »
Wow what a track, thank you... beautiful. Never heard Eve before but absolute a gorgious piece. Hope they'll put in on a Lost Not Forgotten Archives somewhere...

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2021, 06:14:56 AM »
Wow what a track, thank you... beautiful. Never heard Eve before but absolute a gorgious piece. Hope they'll put in on a Lost Not Forgotten Archives somewhere...

Check out the “Cleaning out the Closet” fan CD. It has Eve, as well as some other great tracks, many from the FII era. Some really nice moments on that CD 👍

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
It's tough for anything to contend with "The Spirit Carries On". It's truly an emotional roller coaster that's attached to their greatest album, in my opinion.

For me though, the one that really tugs at my heartstrings, is "Disappear". It has this spiraling darkness to it, and the message feels very real - that sense of hopelessness and questioning without getting the answers that you really hope for. It comes across as someone being trapped, reaching for some sense of resolve that just isn't there.

Life isn't always a bouquet of roses, and Dream Theater really portrayed that well with this song. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »

Sorry for asking, but which one is Eve?

This one: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DiayUWUhZSQ

And an interesting live rendition of it: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qvzepI5JmQ

That live version with all of the spoken word bits was how I first heard the song.  I acquired a cassette of the 3/4/93 show back in '93 from someone on a *Prodigy message board.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »
Check out the “Cleaning out the Closet” fan CD. It has Eve, as well as some other great tracks, many from the FII era. Some really nice moments on that CD 👍

I will do that for sure, thanks. Was it released as a bootleg also? Then perhaps it will be rereleased next year…

Offline pg1067

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2021, 01:51:21 PM »

I will do that for sure, thanks. Was it released as a bootleg also? Then perhaps it will be rereleased next year…

The March 4, 1993 live show at the Limelight (the source of the second link in Beatrice's post) was released through YtseJam Records, so it will presumably be re-released through the "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" at some point.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2021, 11:47:21 PM »
Thank you, that would be a vinyl for me for sure…

Offline tweeg

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »
Unpopular opinion: I love Anna Lee (And Derek's revisiting it in one of his solo albums).

I was unaware he revisited it. Do you know on which solo album?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2021, 05:37:03 PM »

I was unaware he revisited it. Do you know on which solo album?

Blood of the Snake. It’s re-titled “Been Here Before”. It’s also done on the Portnoy Sheehan Macalpine Sherinian album.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?