Author Topic: Movies that you can't bring yourself to watch.  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Movies that you can't bring yourself to watch.
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »
Rubber is a movie that's so bad it's good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 06:27:14 AM »

As for The Notebook; that's the exception to the rule.  I LOVE that movie. I've seen it like five times and I'd watch it again if it was on.  It's sappy, but I like it.

Agreed.  I avoided it for the longest time because of the rep it had, but I think it was maybe a year ago (maybe less) when I was flipping around the dial and it was just starting and I kept it on and watched it.  I am pretty sure being mesmerized by Rachel McAdams is the main reason why I stopped cold when I landed on it (pretty sure that if you look up drop dead gorgeous in the dictionary, a picture of her from the mid 00's is next to the definition  :biggrin: :biggrin:), but I ended up enjoying it a lot.  Sappy, for sure, but very well done.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2021, 06:29:11 AM »
Misery is great but I always turn off for the infamous hobbling scene. It's up there with Quint being eaten alive for scenes I cant watch / listen to.

I read Misery before seeing the film. When Annie went to hobble Paul, I thought "wait, that's all she is going to do?"

Same... what she did in the novel was far more horrific than what was done on screen.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2021, 06:42:59 AM »

I don't think of The Godfather films as "mafia films" any more than I think of Million Dollar Baby as a boxing film. It's just the backdrop. It is so much more than that.

I've been saying that to my wife and daughter for going on three years now.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:27 AM »
I've watched "Saving Private Ryan" in the theater; I was on a date and the first 45 minutes or so was so intense I sweat through my shirt (embarrassing! Thankfully she was no better).  I've put off watching it again, even though it was excellent, just because it was that intense.

That's how I am with The Boy in Striped Pajamas. I'm content never seeing that again, despite it being good.

I came here to say the same thing. That is a movie that is important to see…once. But I don’t know that anyone needs to watch it twice. Nor could I imagine wanting to. But it was an excellent film.

See, I go both ways on this.   Like with music, I think there ARE films that are important to see, because we don't live in a box.  I think you need to see some of the films of the '50s, '60s and '70s that influenced the things we're seeing today.   Just like if you're going to claim "x" band is the greatest band of all time, you need to listen to the bands that infuenced that band, at least once.  You need to see The Godfather for the same reason you need to hear Sgt. Pepper.   

I've done both with my kids.   We had a "Top 100 Movies" poster that we went through when COVID hit, and we watched 2001, and The Shining, and Close Encounters, and a bunch others.  I had her listen to Zofo, Sgt. Pepper, Yellow Brick Road, Rumors, and a couple others.  It's about expanding horizons and being aware of what's around you.

But I stay away from forcing movies "that have something to say" on my kids.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 07:42:47 AM »
I've watched "Saving Private Ryan" in the theater; I was on a date and the first 45 minutes or so was so intense I sweat through my shirt (embarrassing! Thankfully she was no better).  I've put off watching it again, even though it was excellent, just because it was that intense.

That's how I am with The Boy in Striped Pajamas. I'm content never seeing that again, despite it being good.

I came here to say the same thing. That is a movie that is important to see…once. But I don’t know that anyone needs to watch it twice. Nor could I imagine wanting to. But it was an excellent film.

See, I go both ways on this.   Like with music, I think there ARE films that are important to see, because we don't live in a box.  I think you need to see some of the films of the '50s, '60s and '70s that influenced the things we're seeing today.   Just like if you're going to claim "x" band is the greatest band of all time, you need to listen to the bands that infuenced that band, at least once.  You need to see The Godfather for the same reason you need to hear Sgt. Pepper.   

I've done both with my kids.   We had a "Top 100 Movies" poster that we went through when COVID hit, and we watched 2001, and The Shining, and Close Encounters, and a bunch others.  I had her listen to Zofo, Sgt. Pepper, Yellow Brick Road, Rumors, and a couple others.  It's about expanding horizons and being aware of what's around you.

Was Contact on there?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »
I sincerely doubt it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 12:01:18 PM »
I’ll never forget Contact.

20 minutes into the film, I leaned over to my wife (well…date with woman who would later be my wife) and said “if the alien is her dad I’m leaving”

And then it was, and neither one of us could stop laughing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »

Was Contact on there?

I don't believe it was.  I'll have to look (it got rolled up when we moved).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
Stads….you need to watch To Kill a Mockingbird. If nothing else, just because it’s an amazing hypothetical legal case.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »
Stads….you need to watch To Kill a Mockingbird. If nothing else, just because it’s an amazing hypothetical legal case.

I read the book, I've never seen the movie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »

Gregory Peck ….OWNS that film.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »

I'm not sure the case itself is terribly meaningful.  Pretty typical stuff for the Jim Crow-era south.  A white woman accusing a black man of rape was pretty much a death sentence.  For me, what made the book and the movie was everything else (back when I was in my band, I wrote a song based on the Boo Radley aspect of the story).  And, while I don't generally gush over an actor's performance, Ben is right that Peck was incredible.

By the way, Ben, I'm curious if you'd agree with me that the lyrics to the Fates Warning song Giant's Lore bears at least something of a resemblance to the story of Boo Radley.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
Never heard of the connection. Now I’m going to have to reread the lyrics and ponder.

Is it just your take? Or did Arch say something to imply that it was the case?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »
Never heard of the connection. Now I’m going to have to reread the lyrics and ponder.

It's completely my interpretation.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »

It’s an interesting take, with some correlations, but I don’t see the initial sin of Boo Radley that puts him under the curse in the first place like what happened with the giant.

I do see much more similarities with the redemption story though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »

It’s an interesting take, with some correlations, but I don’t see the initial sin of Boo Radley that puts him under the curse in the first place like what happened with the giant.

I do see much more similarities with the redemption story though.

That's exactly it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »
Rubber is a movie that's so bad it's good.

It looked good but then I watched it and it was too muddled. It didn't know if it was trying too hard to be a cult movie or be so-bad-it's-good on purpose.

Plus it had some bizarre half-arsed attempt at fourth wall breaking, self-referential narrative going on too.

I didn't like it. I was hoping it was just gonna be a murdering tyre comedy. Kinda the same vibe as Tremors. But it failed on every level.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »

I'm not sure the case itself is terribly meaningful.  Pretty typical stuff for the Jim Crow-era south.  A white woman accusing a black man of rape was pretty much a death sentence.  For me, what made the book and the movie was everything else (back when I was in my band, I wrote a song based on the Boo Radley aspect of the story).  And, while I don't generally gush over an actor's performance, Ben is right that Peck was incredible.
Yeah, the case was mostly just a plot device. It's one of the things that gives Atticus an excuse to be Atticus. As for Peck, by all accounts he was essentially just playing himself. He really couldn't help but nail the character. To me it says a lot that not only did the gal who played Scout call him Atticus until the day he died (and they remained in regular contact), but Brock Peters, who played the man he defended, delivered Peck's eulogy after decades of friendship.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »
Yes. I will never watch anything like Hostel or SAW. The only ones I did enjoy were CUBE but they were more puzzle based and they weren't JUST gore.
Oh wow that's a movie I haven't heard about in years but I loved it though, cool concept. Sadly the sequels were aweful.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2021, 07:35:44 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about Peck as Atticus. You don't see him striking a pose to portray that character. He just instilled it with life by virtue of his own presence.

I knew Scout called him Atticus. I did not know that about Brock Peters.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »
Yeah, the case was mostly just a plot device. It's one of the things that gives Atticus an excuse to be Atticus. As for Peck, by all accounts he was essentially just playing himself. He really couldn't help but nail the character. To me it says a lot that not only did the gal who played Scout call him Atticus until the day he died (and they remained in regular contact), but Brock Peters, who played the man he defended, delivered Peck's eulogy after decades of friendship.

In his eulogy, Peters specifically said, "Atticus Finch gave him an opportunity to play himself."  Harper Lee said that, upon learning that Peck would play Finch, she was "delighted," and later learned "his secret.  When he played Atticus Finch, he had played himself."  Interestingly, Peck winning the Best Actor Oscar was criticized for that very reason.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »

In his eulogy, Peters specifically said, "Atticus Finch gave him an opportunity to play himself."  Harper Lee said that, upon learning that Peck would play Finch, she was "delighted," and later learned "his secret.  When he played Atticus Finch, he had played himself."  Interestingly, Peck winning the Best Actor Oscar was criticized for that very reason.
Well, he did change his voice just a little bit.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson