Author Topic: A Dramatic TEN of Events !!  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Mr.Mister

Re: A Dramatic TEN of Events !!
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2021, 01:50:14 PM »
I feel this is one of those album you can truly appreciate after a few years. I had many emotions heading into it with MP exiting the band, and not knowing what to expect. I also remember being a bit turned off by MM not being part of the writing process. Even then, I thought it was a strong albeit safe album from DT at the time. Now I think it's up there with my fav albums. The ballads here are top notch and among the best DT has ever done. TITL is one that I continue to look forward to listen, and BTS is not far behind.

I think what I like the most about this album is that it broke the streak of heavy albums. As much as I like SC and BCSL I didn't really feel much difference between the two.

Also, James was the MVP of this album for me. I could feel a lot of emotions in his phrasing. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2021, 02:00:46 PM »
You just nailed exactly why I was so lukewarm on this album for a long time. It just felt “safe”. As in extremely safe. To the point of retreading past glories and give them a fresh coat of paint.

In retrospect, they did a very good job. I still think the follow up was even better. The feeling of “I’ve heard this before” really bothered me at first, but 10 years on, I am able to except the album for what it was at the time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
Happy 10th Anniversary to A Dramatic Turn of Events!

This being prior to the 2015 advent of New Music Friday, it was released on September 12, 2011 in the UK and Europe (maybe elsewhere too) and the following day in the USA

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2021, 11:43:08 PM »
:metal The album is TEN years old this month!! In Eleven Days.

• What were your initial thoughts on the album ?

• How do you like the album now ?

I might give it a spin in full later. But I remember liking it - even if the drums were a bit quiet. Sounded like classic DT to me and I think I preferred it to the previous two albums.

I LOVE This Is The Life.

Wow that is mindblowing, ten years just go by in the blink of an eye.

I actually won my copy for free off a metal radio station just before it was publicly released (like two weeks or something)  ;D

At first I loved it, then I hated it, then it aged and I think it's their best album since SDOIT (speaking relatively of their discography in 2011, not 2021). It holds up really well even if it it them being nostalgic over I&W in some aspects.
There are "filler" IMHO but most of the album is really strong. Mangini gets the role of a drum machine (instead of the creative freedom he has now) and the mix isn't perfect, but those aside it's better than some of their flops prior to 2011.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53