Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Final Results Part 2  (Read 64437 times)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 6 who sent Seven Roaming Lions?
« Reply #1190 on: November 18, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »
I've got no idea which one's mine, but if I had to guess, maybe it's one of these two?

This has that early 00s New Wave of American Heavy Metal sound. Guitar solo should be longer!

Maybe it's the cheesiness I like.

Oh, I thought it wasn't the cheesiness one because you said earlier that none of my guesses were right thus far. That's alright, though, it's all good. :)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1191 on: November 18, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
I've got no idea which one's mine, but if I had to guess, maybe it's one of these two?

This has that early 00s New Wave of American Heavy Metal sound. Guitar solo should be longer!

Maybe it's the cheesiness I like.

Oh, I thought it wasn't the cheesiness one because you said earlier that none of my guesses were right thus far. That's alright, though, it's all good. :)

Yea sorry dude, I clearly sucked at keeping up with everyone's guesses  :lol

*me posting first impressions and failing to keep up with guesses

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1192 on: November 19, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
:soon:?

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1193 on: November 19, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1194 on: November 19, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1195 on: November 19, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
Yea slow down boys.

I'm two listens down with this round. We've got a ways to go yet.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1196 on: November 19, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »

Posted in the wrong roulette thread....
You're right, I meant to post that in my roulette  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1197 on: November 22, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
So I've got a somewhat free evening tonight so I'm going to try and smash out most of the write ups.

It's hopeful for Friday, but we'll see what the rest of the week brings (and how far I get tonight).

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1198 on: November 28, 2022, 12:45:46 AM »
I have all write ups finished, just need to do a final listen to finalise scores and tweak write ups. Aiming to post results today  :tup

My wife has really been struggling with her mental health since the end of last week so been a bit tied up.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1199 on: November 28, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
No worries Luke, completely understand!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1200 on: November 28, 2022, 02:06:31 PM »
No worries Luke, completely understand!

Cheers dude, you know how it is, young kids and all.

Right, I'm back from the gym, gonna shower, listen to the last three songs, confirm scores, double check the post then get it out there.

Gotta say this felt like quite a mediocre round, so we might not see too much movement.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:42:40 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1201 on: November 28, 2022, 02:50:44 PM »

Right, I'm back from the gym,

Wait...you have young kids AND you were able to go to the gym? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1202 on: November 28, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »

Well, young kid singular, but yea I've been trying to go at least once or twice a week. It's finally possible as my kid is now a pretty good sleeper and will be asleep by 7:00-7:30 every night, so I can get an hour in then.

Since starting an office based job I had to, I'm gonna get real unhealthy real quick otherwise.

Results incoming...

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1203 on: November 28, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »

I call shenanigans!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1204 on: November 28, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »
Sorry for the delay on this guys. I'm conscious that there are people starting to show interest in roulettes again, which is awesome.

I'd originally said that there would be eliminations, but haven't said anymore about this since then. In the interest of keeping this moving I'm only going to let 8 progress forward for the final two rounds. But I'm going to start the eliminations after the next round (round 7). Currently we have 15 participants so after the next round I'm going to eliminate the bottom 4 participants, then after round 8, the bottom 3. That means going into the final 2 rounds there will be 8 of you.

Depending on my ability to keep up with that I may make final eliminations after round 9 so the final round has 5 participants or something, but as it stands I want the final round to be 8 still.

So if you have been keeping anything in your back pocket then now is the time to send it.

Anyway, onto round 6 results...

Elite: Major Parkinson - Fantasia Me Now!

I honestly am not sure what you were thinking. I really cannot stand music like this, and especially with those auto tuned vocals. The one saving grace is the mention of The Neverending Story, which is a classic. I don’t really know what to say. I really wanted to skip this most times I listened, which is really something. There are flashes that are kind of alright but then it goes back to fingers down a chalkboard. Sorry dude, just when you were statring to get back on track!

3/10

Cyril: Capital Cities - Farrah Fawcett Hair

I wasn’t too taken with this on first listen, but you know what, it’s not half bad! I like the spoken word quotes, I feel it adds to it quite nicely. The little pop culture references appeal to me and add a little something relatable, which I think can often be something I find lacking in pop music, something relatable. This is not the first pop submission you’ve sent and I’m assuming it won’t be the last? Andre 3000 is fine in this, he doesn’t really impact on my overall score in anyway, though I would like this just as much without him. I liked a few OutKast songs back in the day but was never a fan really. I’d say this is one of your better submissions in this roulette, but I mourn the days of Cyril sending good metal!

6/10

LithoJazzoSphere: Skitsystem - Maktens Murar Rasar

You went there again. I like the dirty, grimy, Lemmy-esque bass. I appreciate the hardcore, crusty punk, grind cross over, it does kind of line up with a lot of what ive been listening to this year. Generally, I prefer music with a punk edge to have clean vocals. The punk that I like is basically everything that stemmed from Bad Religion's Suffer and Operation Ivy's one and only album (have I said that before?). This is pretty good, and I will certainly check out an album or two. There's just not enough in the song alone to earn a higher score from me.

7/10

Revenge319: Avantasia - Twisted Mind

A band I am pretty familiar with and one that did the rounds in roulettes back when I first started participating. I know I mentioned Seventh Wonder in the last round, but these bands are just kinda similar to me, and my brain lumps them together. I know I said in the first impressions this was cheesy, but it’s really not that cheesy at all  :lol  just a few lyrics here and there. The vocals are pretty good, and I like the vocal melodies. 

7/10

Nick_z: Novembre - Come Pierrot

I stand by my statement that this is a bit on the dreary side. It really is, and the way the vocalist kind of slurs his delivery at times is also a bit of a turn off. Luckily I don’t pay too much attention to lyrics, as I think this would’ve bugged me more if I did. In classic Nick form, the guitars are the saving grace, but unfortunately aren’t enough to truly save it. That recurring guitar riff is really familiar, but as always I’m struggling to place it. The harsh vocals are much better, is it the same guy? A good song, just not a great song.

7/10

TAC: Illyria - Autumn Fades Away

You only went partially metal this time Tim. Is that strategic or mixing it up for the hell of it? I remember checking this album out as you pimped it fairly hard if I remember correctly. So the first two thirds are filled with some atmospheric acoustic guitars, that take me away to that forest scene on the album cover. I personally love acoustic guitar like this where you can hear every time the fingers move on the frets. The vocals are a little weak in the first section but not enough to really harm it. We get a nice build to the last third where the black metal shrieks are unleashed. It’s honestly all pretty good but it never kicks it up a notch to really make me love it.

7/10

Puppies: Lykathea Aflame - Bringer of the Elvenfris Flame

I'm not sure who mentioned these guys on DTF, possibly you dude, but I know this album is hard to get hold of, and not on any streaming services. It just increases my interest really. I know I wound you up about the snare, but clearly the drummer here is not Lars :lol saying that though the snare choice does stand out in the mix, and feels somewhat out of place. As for the rest of the song/music, well this is definitely the type of death metal vocal I struggle with (and would've flat out refused 15 years ago). I'm a bit torn with this one as the musicianship is really good and the death metal is enhanced by the progressiveness of the rest of it. I've recently been digging into classic death metal albums, from the early 90s, that had atmospheric synth as part of their sound, so this appeals to me, even if it is a bit buried in the mix. With more appealing harsh vocals and a less jarring snare this may have scored better. Definitely want to try and unearth the album somewhere though.

7/10

Ariich: Animal Alpha - Billy Bob Jackson

I’m not sure where I picked up on the ‘less industrial Rammstein’ but I’m going to stick with it. I guess it’s in the riffs. Mixing that with Bent Knee style vocals is not what I expected, and isn’t that ultimately why I’m here? To hear unexpected sounds? It surely is, and this fits the bill. This song certainly kept me on my toes and I wasn’t really sure how I was going to score this until right until the end.

7/10

HOF: Echorec - Darling, I

Familiar yet something I find hard to write about. This is similar to another song in this round, in that it feels kinda like something that borders on my wheel house but never fully showcases anything that I love. I can respect the band and the music they create, it’s just not got the wow factor that I was hoping for. 

7/10

Sacul: Weyes Blood - Movies

Those repeating synths is what made me think “sci fi” and if anything, it’s probably because it reminds me of Stranger Things. I didn’t notice until the third or fourth listen that this also reminds me a fair bit of Muse! The vocals are haunting and sit alongside artists like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle. I don’t often listen to much music with female vocals, but am trying to expand my tastes, so this might help. I know I’ve seen you post this album cover on the ‘what album’ thread, and it wasn’t quite what I expected, in a good way. It’s interesting enough to want to at least sample the full album.

7/10

Kingshmegland: A.C.T - Checked Out

This is some funky, catchy stuff. The bass takes centre stage, and quite rightly so. It also has a classic prog feel in the vocals but I’m fine with that. The main thing I like about this is the infectious catchiness of it all. The instrumental section in the back half is the best part for sure, even if it feels fairly run of the mill. There were lots of nice sounds going on though. I’d certainly like to hear a whole album.

7/10

Romdrums: Allegaeon - Of Beasts and Worms

Allegaeon is a band I’ve sampled a few times, and I’ve checked out this latest release at least two or three times. I feel I’ve been on the edge of ‘getting’ this band for a while, and have been waiting for that song/album. I was hoping this was going to be it, but alas. Maybe it’s the more traditional style death metal vocals? I dunno, I know I can be really picky about those. The unrelenting drums really drive this song eh? This is somewhat saved by a nice guitar solo towards the end. 

7.5/10

Wolfking: Orpheus Omega - Face of Vengeance

A pretty good all rounder by all accounts dude. The keyboards give it a really familiar sound as do the guitars, and they were what my ears were drawn to on first listen. This is nothing new to me, and although really solid doesn’t really give me the urge to dig any deeper. Doesn't stop it being a pretty decent song though.

7.5/10

Buddyhunter1: Barren Earth - As it is Written

I know I compared this to Opeth, but it isn’t really that similar, outside of those harsh vocals. What I always loved most about classic Opeth was the contrast between extreme and ethereal. Few bands can pull that off even close to how Opeth could. But I’m really not here to fanboy over Opeth. I love the folksiness of this and the keys, which make me think of some kind of bagpipes or something. The lovely little piano interlude leads nicely into a cool instrumental section, with sweet guitar leads and folky goodness. It’s a well put together package that feels rooted in the past, whilst still feeling recent. 

7.5/10

Evermind: Xanthochroid - Of Aching Empty Pain

Song of the round eh? Im pretty sure Cyril either sent this band in my first roulette, or I participated in a roulette in which he sent this band. Either way, Cyril why you stop sending good music? In some ways this is kind of similar to Allegaeon, but has the contrast of the piano, and is also way more epic and grandiose. I really love the harsh vocals in this, as they sound just like Ihsahn, who I really love. In typical fashion I’m not really able to explain why this hits, where others missed but it’s in the epic heaviness with vocals I can get on board with. Really good stuff.

8/10

Standings:

Buddyhunter1 - 46
LithoJazzoSphere - 44
Evermind - 44
Wolfking - 43.5
TAC - 43
Ariich - 42.5
King - 42.5
Nick - 42.5
HOF - 41
Romdrums - 41
Puppies - 40.5
Sacul - 40
Cyril - 39.5
Elite - 38
Revenge - 36.5

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 6 results
« Reply #1205 on: November 28, 2022, 03:26:08 PM »
i mean, the paper chase were metal-y and you didn't like them either
there's one metal song on my playlist period besides that one bcuz i made this a year ago and metal sucked in 2021

Offline HOF

« Reply #1206 on: November 28, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »
Hey, I’ll take the 7. I mostly just thought that Echorec album showed some nice promise for a band of late teens/early 20s aged guys. Really like the drummer and the album as a whole was pretty strong for a self-produced/released debut.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1207 on: November 28, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
i mean, the paper chase were metal-y and you didn't like them either
there's one metal song on my playlist period besides that one bcuz i made this a year ago and metal sucked in 2021

Yea The Paper Chase was an odd one.

If only there were other years with metal releases you could send, oh well

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2022, 03:41:52 PM »
I'll take it! Surprised you didn't mention the guitar solo at the end though, that's pretty much why I sent the song. :lol

Thinking I might go with death metal again this round... :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1209 on: November 28, 2022, 03:42:32 PM »

Yup! :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1210 on: November 28, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
i'm not gonna send them in this roulette but go check out aethereus' album leiden from the start of this year, that one rules

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1211 on: November 28, 2022, 04:32:40 PM »
Considering my placement on the leaderboards, I think it's safe to say the next round will be my last. Therefore, I am tempted to send something very risky and out of left field, just to see what happens... I will try to send soon!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: November 28, 2022, 04:36:37 PM »
i'm looking forward to my next submission also tanking and getting me eliminated before luke gets to the other metal song  :corn

Online nick_z

« Reply #1213 on: November 28, 2022, 05:46:59 PM »

Nick_z: Novembre - Come Pierrot

I stand by my statement that this is a bit on the dreary side. It really is, and the way the vocalist kind of slurs his delivery at times is also a bit of a turn off. Luckily I don’t pay too much attention to lyrics, as I think this would’ve bugged me more if I did. In classic Nick form, the guitars are the saving grace, but unfortunately aren’t enough to truly save it. That recurring guitar riff is really familiar, but as always I’m struggling to place it. The harsh vocals are much better, is it the same guy? A good song, just not a great song.

7/10

Well, it looks like 7 is my number  :biggrin: I guess it's an average that buys me a comfortable run-of-the-mill standing  ;)

Glad you enjoyed the guitar-work on this. Novembre have a way to create super interesting parts that way. The album this song is from ("Novembrine Waltz") might be my favorite of theirs, perhaps the easiest to like. Their second ("Arte Novecento") is another big favorite of mine, but it's very idiosyncratic in their discography. It's very bare-bones and it's all clean vocals, and given your thoughts on the singer here, I wouldn't recommend it to you  ;) It's all VERY dreary on that one (BTW yes, it's the same person doing the harsh vocals). Anyway, like I said before, his singing is definitely an acquired taste. It was never an issue for me, but I knew several people (around the time this came out) for whom it was.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: November 28, 2022, 09:46:05 PM »
I'll take it! Surprised you didn't mention the guitar solo at the end though, that's pretty much why I sent the song. :lol

How about you steal a page from Elite's book and send some of that 3/10 stuff next round? :corn
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1215 on: November 28, 2022, 10:07:07 PM »

How about you steal a page from Elite's book and send some of that 3/10 stuff next round? :corn

Alright fine, sending Machine Girl, let's fucking gooooooo

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline HOF

« Reply #1216 on: November 28, 2022, 10:59:58 PM »
Sent!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1217 on: November 28, 2022, 11:43:49 PM »
:lol :rollin :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1218 on: November 29, 2022, 03:48:33 AM »
Sent for round 7, something a bit different and hopefully pleasantly surprising. 

LithoJazzoSphere: Skitsystem - Maktens Murar Rasar

You went there again. I like the dirty, grimy, Lemmy-esque bass. I appreciate the hardcore, crusty punk, grind cross over, it does kind of line up with a lot of what ive been listening to this year. Generally, I prefer music with a punk edge to have clean vocals. The punk that I like is basically everything that stemmed from Bad Religion's Suffer and Operation Ivy's one and only album (have I said that before?). This is pretty good, and I will certainly check out an album or two. There's just not enough in the song alone to earn a higher score from me.

7/10

Hmm, you sound sort of disappointed.  I wanted to see how far your taste goes into the range of the near-death metal end of crust punk, especially since my first foray in this direction tied for my highest score.  I'm curious, do you rank them in order, or is it random within each point grouping?  I can't tell if I could be in the bottom three or the top 5.   :lol

Sacul: Weyes Blood - Movies

The vocals are haunting and sit alongside artists like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle.

I hear more Lana Del Rey or maybe Julia Holter, but I'm probably too deep into this stuff and splitting hairs. 

Online nick_z

« Reply #1219 on: November 29, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »
Sent for round 7!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1220 on: November 29, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »
I'm listening to that Major Parkinson song after seeing that they were a progressive rock band and now I'm thoroughly confused. :lol

EDIT: Sent something that sounds nothing like that!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 11:39:45 AM by Buddyhunter1 »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1221 on: November 29, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »
I don't know if that song is an anomaly, but they are not what I expected based on forum and internet hype.  They have some shared attributes with stuff I like, but are a bit over the top for me. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1222 on: November 29, 2022, 02:59:23 PM »
I'm disappointed Movies didn't win the round, such a powerful track. I think you'll dig the album tho, it's pretty nice :P

Sent!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: November 29, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
Solid score.  I'll send something tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: November 30, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
Sent two songs! I ran out of good black/death metal so it's either prog metal with growls or doom metal this time around.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.