Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Final Results Part 2  (Read 65925 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 1 catch up for Litho & Wolfking
« Reply #980 on: November 05, 2022, 05:54:41 AM »
And sent for round 6!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #981 on: November 05, 2022, 06:09:26 AM »
Lost Horizon is incredible. That guy is making my Top 25 singers list for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #982 on: November 05, 2022, 06:17:55 AM »
Daniel Heiman definitely has quite a set of pipes. 

They sound like they take a lot of influence from bands like Discharge (who were actually a huge influence on Metallica).

Yeah, pretty much the whole D-Beat scene is derived from the style of kick pattern Discharge used early on, and a decent amount of thrash and Swedish death metal as well.  I'm not as into the British and American punk scenes, and what I do know you already seem to be familiar with, so it's nice to find a little niche where there are some treasures a lot of people have overlooked. 

The fun and yet tricky thing once the rest of the entries are scored is figuring out whether to dig deeper into those bags or throw some other stuff at you that's a little different. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 06:23:13 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #983 on: November 05, 2022, 06:23:14 AM »
Daniel Heiman definitely has quite a set of pipes. 

It's too bad he's never latched on to anything solid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #984 on: November 05, 2022, 07:58:37 AM »
Sent for round 6.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #985 on: November 05, 2022, 08:20:19 AM »
Yeah seriously Kade, 7.5 is a high score in this roulette. Buddy is the only person with an average score higher than that, at 7.7.

When scoring, I'm scoring against all the music I've ever listened to  :lol  I find it very hard to give out a 10 to anything other than my absolute favourite songs of all time. Even a 9.5 is basically flawless. To get a 7.5 is a good score in my book!

For those of you who took part in Scar's roulette, 10s lost their meaning pretty quick when he started giving them out to every song  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 12:37:58 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #986 on: November 05, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
Lost Horizon is incredible. That guy is making my Top 25 singers list for sure.
He was on my preliminary list, but ultimately didn't make my top 25. Definitely a great voice though  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #987 on: November 05, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
Elite: MEER - Picking Up the Pieces

This came in second when it comes to songs that grew on me the most. There was a bit of a buzz around DTF when this came out and it was accompanied by comparisons to The Dear Hunter. The Dear Hunter are now one of my all time favourites, so any band that is compared has a lot to live up to. I have spun this albums a few times prior to the roulette and clearly nothing left too much of an impression as I've not returned to it.
I really dig this though, and it started to click by the 4th listen. To the song, I love the strings that accompany that opening, and I know I've been vocal about liking orchestral flourishes in my music (which is one of the reasons I particularly like The Dear Hunter's Acts IV & V). Vocally this has way more in common with Agent Fresco than The Dear Hunter, and I also hear a bit of Leprous. Maybe I was too harsh on this record the first few times around, I'll have to give it another spin.

8/10

Wow! That did a lot better than I expected indeed, glad you enjoyed it! It took me one spin of the album last year and then seeing them live at ProgPower to enjoy what they do. The whole album is good, some stuff is even great. This track, the last one and a few other songs fall into that category if you ask me. Enjoy the full thing (again), when you get round to it!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #988 on: November 05, 2022, 01:07:19 PM »
Elite: MEER - Picking Up the Pieces

This came in second when it comes to songs that grew on me the most. There was a bit of a buzz around DTF when this came out and it was accompanied by comparisons to The Dear Hunter. The Dear Hunter are now one of my all time favourites, so any band that is compared has a lot to live up to. I have spun this albums a few times prior to the roulette and clearly nothing left too much of an impression as I've not returned to it.
I really dig this though, and it started to click by the 4th listen. To the song, I love the strings that accompany that opening, and I know I've been vocal about liking orchestral flourishes in my music (which is one of the reasons I particularly like The Dear Hunter's Acts IV & V). Vocally this has way more in common with Agent Fresco than The Dear Hunter, and I also hear a bit of Leprous. Maybe I was too harsh on this record the first few times around, I'll have to give it another spin.

8/10

Wow! That did a lot better than I expected indeed, glad you enjoyed it! It took me one spin of the album last year and then seeing them live at ProgPower to enjoy what they do. The whole album is good, some stuff is even great. This track, the last one and a few other songs fall into that category if you ask me. Enjoy the full thing (again), when you get round to it!

Maybe it's the 'seeing them live' bit that I need to help love them. I was surprised this grew on me as much as it did.

So, I've got 9 submissions in so far, but absolutely zero rush as I'm doing the 2 newbies early submissions first anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: November 05, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »
Yeah seriously Kade, 7.5 is a high score in this roulette. Buddy is the only person with an average score higher than that, at 7.7.

When scoring, I'm scoring against all the music I've ever listened to  :lol  I find it very hard to give out a 10 to anything other than my absolute favourite songs of all time. Even a 9.5 is basically flawless. To get a 7.5 is a good score in my book!

For those of you who took part in Scar's roulette, 10s lost their meaning pretty quick when he started giving them out to every song  :facepalm:

Fair enough.  I probably should have actually gone through the rest of the roulette and looked at the spread of scores haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: November 06, 2022, 08:30:32 AM »
Hoped for a 7.5 but I'll take that 7 for Mother of Millions, sending my next song in a few hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #991 on: November 06, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #993 on: November 06, 2022, 03:30:47 PM »
That popcorn abuse will hurt his score.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #994 on: November 06, 2022, 04:26:52 PM »
He popcorned me in the Katatonia discography discussion thread, I'm just returning the favor.   :angel:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #995 on: November 07, 2022, 12:37:21 AM »
Got a busy morning at work but will post Round 2 results first Litho/Wolfking this afternoon  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #996 on: November 07, 2022, 01:43:47 PM »
This round was a bit harder to score as both songs feel super similar to me. It meant I deliberated longer than I was planning to. They are both a style of metal that I've heard done by many different bands, and definitely isn't anything new. However, both are really solid songs. Maybe if these had longer to sink in, and were up against a full round of more varied songs, they may have scored slightly differently. Who knows.

LithoJazzoSphere: Nocturnal Rites - The Ghost Inside Me

So you went the metal route this time. This is more on the generic side and the vocals aren't totally doing it for me. I do like the added strings, that is always a plus for me. It gives the song a more epic feel which I like, but that epicness kind of comes and goes. I dunno, it definitely feels like something I could love, especially if I'd discovered it back when I was exploring this kind of metal. The vocals are the biggest turn off for me, although they aren't bad as such. It comes close to getting a better score but was slightly lacking in a few places.

7/10

Wolfking: LORD - Reborn

These songs feel so similar, as this is also some pretty straight forward metal. I certainly preferred the vocals here, and there is some great guitar work. What a cool guitar solo though, and definitely the highlight. Songs like this, for me, need a real good solo to lift it from good to great. This really borders on hitting that mark.

7/10

Standings:

Buddyhunter1 - 38.5
TAC - 36
Evermind - 36
Nick - 35.5
Ariich - 35.5
King - 35.5
Elite - 35
HOF - 34
Cyril - 33.5
Puppies - 33.5
Romdrums - 33.5
Sacul - 33
Revenge - 29.5
LithoJazzoSphere - 22.5
Wolfking - 21

A pretty solid round from both of you.

Rankings are shaping up. Litho, you need to get 16.5 points over the next 2 rounds to go top, Wolfking you need 18. It's achievable for both of you, if you believe!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 2 catch up for Litho & Wolfking
« Reply #997 on: November 07, 2022, 02:00:49 PM »
I knew that one was a slight risk since I read that you were iffier on power metal, but I wanted to see how it went.  I was hoping the orchestral elements would boost it more, and thought the solo would stand out more, but I suppose that can happen having to send later.  Lindqvist's vocals I think might grow on you over time, they certainly have on me.  Well, at least it's not a low score.  Antsy for the next two rounds now...  Also pretty sure I know what I'm sending for rounds 6 & 7 already, but I'll see how 3 & 4 come out first. 

Really good solo on Lord's "Reborn", I want a solo-off between our two. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 02:08:11 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #998 on: November 07, 2022, 02:19:44 PM »
I knew that one was a slight risk since I read that you were iffier on power metal, but I wanted to see how it went.  I was hoping the orchestral elements would boost it more, and thought the solo would stand out more, but I suppose that can happen having to send later.  Lindqvist's vocals I think might grow on you over time, they certainly have on me.  Well, at least it's not a low score.  Antsy for the next two rounds now...  Also pretty sure I know what I'm sending for rounds 6 & 7 already, but I'll see how 3 & 4 come out first. 

Really good solo on Lord's "Reborn", I want a solo-off between our two.

I wouldn't say I'm iffy on power metal as such. There are just a handful of power metal bands that I love, and can pretty much take or leave the rest. Unsurprisingly, if I'm going to like power metal nowadays it's likely to be some progressive power metal.

Reborn definitely has the better solo but the orchestral elements in The Ghost Inside Me helped balance out the score.

I've done my first listen to your two round 3 submissions  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #999 on: November 11, 2022, 12:13:44 AM »
Here's your round 3 boys. You guys have been super consistent and Buddy really needs to watch his back  :lol

LithoJazzoSphere: Red Handed Denial - Carbon Copies

The most brutal of your submissions so far and I'm vibing to this pretty hard. It really remind me of another band but I haven't been able to place it. It's got a kind of Dillinger Escape Plan feel, and I really like the clean vocals. The vocalist reminds of the guy from Mandroid Echostar, during the clean vocals. It's a bit metalcore/mathcore which is all good with me. I don't necessarily think this is an amazing song, but I love the style of it. I'd spin the album as I could imagine there being some gems on the album.

7.5/10

Wolfking: Evil Invaders - Eternal Darkness

Never heard of these guys, but this is a '22 release, so will probably check out the album before the year is out. I would class this as kinda death thrash? It's thrash but has that element of death metal, it's good stuff. For me, I think this is a better match than the more power metal leaning stuff. My roots in metal all started with thrash, so even though I don't listen to a ton of new thrash, it's kind of where my heart will always be. Thrash metal vocalists can really be hit or miss, but this ain't too bad. Another observation, this outro sounds just like the outro to Floods, that can't be a coincidence right? The last minute and a half is the best part of the song, easily.

7/10

Standings:

Buddyhunter1 - 38.5
TAC - 36
Evermind - 36
Nick - 35.5
Ariich - 35.5
King - 35.5
Elite - 35
HOF - 34
Cyril - 33.5
Puppies - 33.5
Romdrums - 33.5
Sacul - 33
LithoJazzoSphere - 30
Revenge - 29.5
Wolfking - 28

I've still got one round of scores for Litho and Wolfking, then we'll kick off round 6. I think I'm still waiting on like 5 submissions for round 6.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:23:18 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 3 catch up for Litho & Wolfking
« Reply #1000 on: November 11, 2022, 05:14:33 AM »
Here's your round 3 boys. You guys have been super consistent and Buddy really needs to watch his back  :lol

I'm imagining a few people are hoping we sent some absolute garbage for round 4.   :lol

LithoJazzoSphere: Red Handed Denial - Carbon Copies

The most brutal of your submissions so far and I'm vibing to this pretty hard. It really remind me of another band but I haven't been able to place it. It's got a kind of Dillinger Escape Plan feel, and I really like the clean vocals. The vocalist reminds of the guy from Mandroid Echostar, during the clean vocals. It's a bit metalcore/mathcore which is all good with me. I don't necessarily think this is an amazing song, but I love the style of it. I'd spin the album as I could imagine there being some gems on the album.

I think of them as a bit less djenty and noodly version of Periphery, with vocals I prefer to Spencer's.  Lauren would probably find it amusing to have her vocals compared to a guy's.  The growls get unusually deep at times, which might give off that impression.  Too many metalcoreish clean vocals get too whiny for my tastes, but her's stay just out of that range for me.  It's one of my favorite '22 albums, and it was pretty hard to pick a track, I could have just as easily selected several others, so hopefully you dig them as well.  Their earlier stuff is also pretty great.

I think I'm still waiting on like 5 submissions for round 6.
Probably two are wolfie and I, right?  Unless he's even more faux-confident than I am.  I have so many other possibilities still in mind, but you haven't either totally fallen in love with or disliked any yet, so I guess they're still all on the table.  Unless R4 gets a 9 or 10 I think I already have my R6 selection ready to send whenever you score it.  And even then it might only alter rounds 8-10. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1001 on: November 11, 2022, 07:29:48 AM »

#STOPTHECOUNT
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1002 on: November 11, 2022, 09:33:53 AM »

#STOPTHECOUNT

:lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1003 on: November 14, 2022, 03:52:15 AM »
OK, so the plan is to get the round 4 write ups for Litho and Wolfking up within the next 12 hours.

I'm ready to roll with round 6 then!

I just need submissions from Elite, Revenge319, LithoJazzoSphere and Wolfking.

If you guys could get them in we'll get hangman fired up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: November 14, 2022, 04:37:23 AM »
Sorry.  Just sent something that popped up randomly on the way home tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1005 on: November 14, 2022, 07:53:10 AM »
I have several choices ready to go right after you post results.  Pretty sure I know which I want to send, but I want to see the writeups just in case something you say sways me otherwise. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1006 on: November 14, 2022, 08:03:23 AM »
I have several choices ready to go right after you post results.  Pretty sure I know which I want to send, but I want to see the writeups just in case something you say sways me otherwise.

Might just post the score to fuck with you  :lol  I know how you like to over-analyse, you might just implode.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1007 on: November 14, 2022, 08:20:16 AM »

Might just post the score to fuck with you  :lol  I know how you like to over-analyse, you might just implode.
I've done some pretty short and unhelpful write-ups before. The two that come to mind were

First impression: Epic as hell
Final opinion: Epic as hell

and

First impression: What is this I don't even
Final opinion: What is this I don't even

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1008 on: November 14, 2022, 08:29:54 AM »

I've done some pretty short and unhelpful write-ups before. The two that come to mind were

and

Plus it makes my life easier and people get results quicker. Everyone's a winner!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1009 on: November 14, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
Sent!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1010 on: November 14, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »

and

Plus it makes my life easier and people get results quicker. Everyone's a winner!

I mean, we could just send all 10 rounds at once, you come back in half a year with number ratings, rankings, and declare a winner, but where's the fun in that?  :P

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1011 on: November 14, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »

and

I mean, we could just send all 10 rounds at once, you come back in half a year with number ratings, rankings, and declare a winner, but where's the fun in that?  :P

Sorry if someone sold you the false pretense this would be fun.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1012 on: November 14, 2022, 11:45:04 AM »
I'm having fun.

Not just saying that cuz I'm winning. :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1013 on: November 14, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »
I'm having fun.

Not just saying that cuz I'm winning. :neverusethis:

Well we can't have that. In related news I'll be posting results soon :neverusethis:  just gonna go to the gym first.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1014 on: November 14, 2022, 12:31:56 PM »
Sent a song that works better in the context of the album it came from :neverusethis:

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey