Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Final Results Part 2  (Read 66392 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 5, first impressions
« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
I learn from the best.  :p

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #876 on: October 28, 2022, 05:18:35 PM »
i think every currently ongoing roulette has had a hiatus in it somewhere except for 425's, so

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #877 on: October 28, 2022, 05:21:13 PM »
Right,the roulette is back on hiatus now as the new King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard album is out :neverusethis:

I suspect my own first roulette may be going when the upcoming Katatonia album comes out, and that will be cause for a month-long break too.   :tup

No way. Enough of the month long breaks in the middle of a roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #878 on: October 28, 2022, 06:48:51 PM »
i think every currently ongoing roulette has had a hiatus in it somewhere except for 425's, so

425 needs to finish Round 3 though.  We submitted a month ago and we’re still waiting for him to post results for the last two groups.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #879 on: October 28, 2022, 08:40:52 PM »
For anyone who sent an instrumental, prepare for the lowest score of the round  :lol

Are you just making an excuse to bully Sacul or would you say instrumentals are actually at an inherent disadvantage to you? Was thinking of sending a really good one later on.

Edit: I already sent an instrumental in round 3 and it was the best-scoring song that round. :lol
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 09:04:02 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #880 on: October 28, 2022, 08:59:36 PM »
Right,the roulette is back on hiatus now as the new King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard album is out :neverusethis:

I suspect my own first roulette may be going when the upcoming Katatonia album comes out, and that will be cause for a month-long break too.   :tup

No way. Enough of the month long breaks in the middle of a roulette.

For you we'll just make that round Winger-themed, and you'll want to be on hiatus. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:15:43 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #881 on: October 29, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
Why do I feel like I'm in an anime? Fuck, this is some great [insert genre].

You know what, I'm wondering if there is a possibility mine is actually this.  It didn't occur to me since there is another song from an actual video game composer this round, but I could see the intro and pre-solo bit of mine coming off as kind of bit-crushed sounding due to the lo-fi drum loop and synth parts.  And the knowledge that they don't generally sound like that on their other 30 songs (though possibly more than I realize if I went back through thinking about it in this light.)  Although, the vocalists did collaborate with Marty Friedman on another track for a video game, hmm.  Watch me be off the mark on this one too though...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:18:23 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #882 on: October 29, 2022, 12:32:17 AM »

You know what, I'm wondering if there is a possibility mine is actually this.  It didn't occur to me since there is another song from an actual video game composer this round, but I could see the intro and pre-solo bit of mine coming off as kind of bit-crushed sounding due to the lo-fi drum loop and synth parts.  And the knowledge that they don't generally sound like that on their other 30 songs (though possibly more than I realize if I went back through thinking about it in this light.)  Although, the vocalists did collaborate with Marty Friedman on another track for a video game, hmm.  Watch me be off the mark on this one too though...

You're actually bang on! The intro is what made me think it could be an anime opening sequence, even though the song doesn’t have a strong anime feel in general. But the main takeaway is that 'fuck, this is some great melodeath'

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 4 Results, a year in the making
« Reply #883 on: October 29, 2022, 12:44:22 AM »
Any other takers? I know these are pretty vague and some are similar to each other!

This feels way more indie than I expected, it's all in the vocals.

Ariich - Haunting and brutal, with extra flourishes, fucking sign me up.

Such a cool sound, with so much going on. It craves to be listened to on a good pair of headphones, especially the beginning.

The guitar work really draws my ear in this, I've come to expect nothing less from you.

TAC - I like your dedication to the cause.

Cyril - Is this a classic [insert participant] submission? Sounds weird but interesting but also a little unnerving.

Revenge319 - Not sold on these vocals but the song shreds.

Ohhhh something I might be able to singalong to. The whole package is really cool but the vocals really help propel it.

Sacul - Well this was extremely bold, but I guess you already knew that. It's part exactly what I expected, and part nothing like what I expected. Bravo.

HOF - Vocally, this is like the meeting of two bands that I really quite like. Musically it strikes me as something that will grow on me nicely.

LithoJazzoSphere - Why do I feel like I'm in an anime? Fuck, this is some great [insert genre].

Not exactly what I was expecting but definitely growing potential.

This mixes two things I really like, in the style of a band I love. You could be onto something here.

This ticks so many boxes for me but is lacking in something I can't quite put my finger on.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:58:57 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 4 Results, a year in the making
« Reply #884 on: October 29, 2022, 12:55:01 AM »
Not sold on these vocals but the song shreds.

I think this one is mine.

Online twosuitsluke

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #886 on: October 29, 2022, 01:32:53 AM »
Mixing two things? Indie? Ticks boxes but not quite?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #887 on: October 29, 2022, 01:39:33 AM »

You're actually bang on! The intro is what made me think it could be an anime opening sequence, even though the song doesn’t have a strong anime feel in general. But the main takeaway is that 'fuck, this is some great melodeath'

Sweet, my rapidly vacillating confidence in myself has been temporarily restored!  But melodeath, without the death.  My pitch for them is usually Heart fronting Sevendust covering In Flames tunes.  The Stromblad/Gelotte idea generation and contribution being key there. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #888 on: October 29, 2022, 01:56:50 AM »

Sweet, my rapidly vacillating confidence in myself has been temporarily restored!  But melodeath, without the death.  My pitch for them is usually Heart fronting Sevendust covering In Flames tunes.  The Stromblad/Gelotte idea generation and contribution being key there.

Yep, the In Flames is strong with this one  :metal

Mixing two things? Indie? Ticks boxes but not quite?

It is one of those three, how confident you feeling?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #889 on: October 29, 2022, 02:05:49 AM »
Well, the song is very good, so I guess it's the first!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #890 on: October 29, 2022, 02:22:31 AM »
Well, the song is very good, so I guess it's the first!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #891 on: October 29, 2022, 03:21:01 AM »
Well, then it's lacking something and you'll probably hate it!
Squ

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #892 on: October 29, 2022, 04:49:26 AM »
Well, then it's lacking something and you'll probably hate it!

We know how your submissions to me go dude. I only really start to love the songs way after the roulette has finished, or I fall in love with the album the submission is from, if not the song itself. You've helped me discover some great stuff even if you haven't scores as high as others.

This submission definitely has growing potential though, and there was nothing I disliked.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #893 on: October 29, 2022, 05:07:37 AM »
I tend to send those sort of things, yes :)

I remember the first time I heard the MEER album in full and didn't really think much of it. Then I went to ProgPower Europe a few weeks ago and most of the bands didn't do a lot for me, yet MEER blew me away. Easily the best gig of the weekend. The whole album it's from is cool, you might enjoy it too (after the roulette of course :biggrin: )
Squ

Offline HOF

« Reply #894 on: October 29, 2022, 09:52:44 AM »
I tend to send those sort of things, yes :)

I remember the first time I heard the MEER album in full and didn't really think much of it. Then I went to ProgPower Europe a few weeks ago and most of the bands didn't do a lot for me, yet MEER blew me away. Easily the best gig of the weekend. The whole album it's from is cool, you might enjoy it too (after the roulette of course :biggrin: )

I’ve tried a few times to get into that MEER album but it didn’t connect with me either. Don’t suppose I’ll ever see them live, but maybe one day it will click.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #895 on: October 29, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »
I will say that I have listened to the latest MEER album twice, both before this roulette started. I'll say no more about it at this point  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #896 on: October 29, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
Low score incoming!! :metal :corn
Squ

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #897 on: October 29, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »
Low score incoming!! :metal :corn

"The Wheel weaves as The Wheel wills"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #898 on: October 29, 2022, 02:35:48 PM »
Best song of the round incoming!! :metal :corn
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: October 30, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »
I got ahold of Evermind and he said he would like to continue to participate. He said he will check in over the weekend.

Hey guys!

Everything went to shit here and I expect it'll get even worse in the next few months. I think I gradually fell into depression with all that's happening here; as I said to Puppies, I left DTF because it came to the point I couldn't in good conscience look you guys in the eye (figuratively speaking) while the country I was born in is waging war and doing unspeakable things in Ukraine. I do know you guys wouldn't judge me just because I was born in this fucking country but apparently it's really easy to spiral down and shut down all communication when you're already depressed and I suppose that's what happened? I'm a bit better now and I think I'll ask permission to post in the P/R so that this thread stays non-political.

Anyway, do I have to send anything right now or what is going on? :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »
Ruslan, I really hesitated to contact you. I wasn't sure if it would be safe for you to respond to an IP in the US.

How are you? You haven't been drafted?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #901 on: October 30, 2022, 01:15:06 PM »
So glad to hear from you Ruslan. Keep reaching out. Tim and I will fake bicker to make you feel better.

Shut up Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 30, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
Ruslan, I really hesitated to contact you. I wasn't sure if it would be safe for you to respond to an IP in the US.

How are you? You haven't been drafted?

Thankfully I haven't been drafted yet. I think it's a combination of two factors: I live in Moscow and the government has been really hesitant to draft from Moscow because (not to toot my own horn or anything) most of the educated Russians live in Moscow and the government would rather grab people from small towns and villages; people there are more willing to accept being drafted as it's "their duty for the country". Second thing is I literally work for Ministry of Defense as I'm a helicopter design engineer and technically I'm immune to the draft - this is another thing that really made me question my life choices. Like, I'm working here because I love aviation and the tech, but now it's a double-edged sword - some of our helicopters are out there killing civilians in Ukraine, while some of our helicopters are out there saving lives on oil rigs.

Also my official immunity for the draft doesn't really mean shit because it's Russia - I'm 100% sure if I even go into the draft center with all the documents that prove that I can't be drafted, I'll still be drafted, so I'm staying far away from that; I'm also prepared to relocate into another city/country when/if push comes to shove. I probably should've done it already but I just can't bring myself to do it, my friends and parents are all here.

So glad to hear from you Ruslan. Keep reaching out. Tim and I will fake bicker to make you feel better.

Shut up Tim.

:lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #903 on: October 30, 2022, 01:21:51 PM »
Hey dude, good to hear from you and have you back on board. I can't imagine what it must've been like for all the civilians on both sides, and what everyone must've been through this year.

I'm glad to hear you're doing a bit better now and even though I don't normally post P/R I'll pop over.

As for the roulette, we're on round 5, open round, everyone has sent and I have currently listened through everything 3 times. I'm happy to postpone my listening until I get your submission so I can play catch up and get the three listens in.

Really glad to have you back, and I hope this can be a welcome distraction and chance to shoot the shit with Internet friends  :heart

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: October 30, 2022, 01:27:12 PM »
Hey dude, good to hear from you and have you back on board. I can't imagine what it must be like what all the civilians on both sides must've been through this year.

I'm glad to hear you're doing a bit better now and even though I don't normally post P/R I'll pop over.

As for the roulette, we're on round 5, open round, everyone had sent and I have currently listened through everything 3 times. I'm happy to postpone my listening until I get your submission so I can play catch up and get the three listens in.

Really glad to have you back, and I hope this can be a welcome distraction and chance to shoot the shit with Internet friends  :heart

Luke, do you mind if I send something tomorrow? It's been a year and I should really at least re-read the thread and see what I sent before, and right now I've got 6.5 hours before I have to wake up and go to work because, well, I still have to buy food. :lol

Also I don't mind if you score this round without me so I wouldn't hold up this thing, and then I'll just send something for Round 6.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #905 on: October 30, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
Hey dude, good to hear from you and have you back on board. I can't imagine what it must be like what all the civilians on both sides must've been through this year.

As for the roulette, we're on round 5, open round, everyone had sent and I have currently listened through everything 3 times. I'm happy to postpone my listening until I get your submission so I can play catch up and get the three listens in.

Luke, do you mind if I send something tomorrow? It's been a year and I should really at least re-read the thread and see what I sent before, and right now I've got 6.5 hours before I have to wake up and go to work because, well, I still have to buy food. :lol

Also I don't mind if you score this round without me so I wouldn't hold up this thing, and then I'll just send something for Round 6.
Eh, the roulette has been on hiatus for a year, so I imagine Luke would be fine waiting another day  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #906 on: October 30, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »

It's fine honestly dude. It's only been a few days since I received the last entry so another day won't hurt. I'm hoping to get results up by the end of the week, but there's a good chance it could end up going over.

Just send when you're ready dude, no pressure. I'll continue listening to the other submissions and starting on write ups anyway  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 30, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »
Great to see you Ruslan and glad things are okay.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #908 on: October 30, 2022, 04:38:16 PM »
Evermind (I guess your real name is Rusian it sounds like, but we don't really know each other yet), you'll have to know that in the restart wolfking and I have crashed at your roulette.  Hope you don't mind.  :)

Yeah, I have a friend from another forum in Russia.  I've been afraid to contact her as well.  She seems free to speak her mind and posts occasionally, but I still worry that she's overconfident. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: October 30, 2022, 06:50:50 PM »
Evermind (I guess your real name is Rusian it sounds like, but we don't really know each other yet), you'll have to know that in the restart wolfking and I have crashed at your roulette.  Hope you don't mind.  :)

Yeah, I have a friend from another forum in Russia.  I've been afraid to contact her as well.  She seems free to speak her mind and posts occasionally, but I still worry that she's overconfident.

He would if one of us actually took his score!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.