Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Final Results Part 2  (Read 66549 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 2 Results!!
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
Here we are, only about three days later than planned. This was a really solid round with not a great deal of variation in the scores. Feel free to start sending for round three.

HOF: McStine and Minnermann - I Don't Feel

The fact that this song got the lowest score shows how strong the whole round was. This is not a bad song at all, it just doesn't quite hit me. It has that 'jam' feel to it and the instrumentation is clearly a highlight. The vocals bring it down a bit for me, again nothing bad just not my cup of tea. There is one part where it goes all 'video game soundtrack' but it lasts for a few seconds then stops! That was the only bit that got me excited, and it didn't go anywhere. The song also just ends really abruptly. I don't know, this feels like it's just missing something, like in the context of an album, sandwiched between certain songs it could really shine. On its own it seems slightly meandering with no pay off. It's not overly long but nothing really stands out to me, during its runtime. I have no clue who McStine and Minnermann are, but I'm guessing they are famous in their own right and this is the coming together to form some sort of super duo? Yea it's not terrible but just not something I loved.

6/10

Romdrums: Vulkan - Bewildering Conceptions of Truth

Yet another band I've heard. Someone on DTF recommended this album and I remember the artwork enough to know I gave it a spin. This isn't bad by any stretch but there just isn't enough here to grab hold and not let go. I like the violins that come in just over half way, as I love string accompaniment in music like this. I'm starting to realise that I can really be quite picky with the sort of vocals I like, as once again these ones leave me cold. The other real highlight is the drumming I suppose, more so than any other instrument, but then they are pretty dominant in the mix. Solid stuff. Will I revisit the band? Unlikely but that's just a comment on the amount of music I have to divide up my time for.

6.5/10

Kingshmegland: Mile Marker Zero - Propaganda

I definitely checked out this album back when it was released, as it was pimped a bit around these parts. This feels like a fairly safe bet, as it feels like some standard prog rock fair. It's pretty cool and has some really great guitar work on it. The vocals are tickling my memory somewhere and remind me of some band I can't place. Unfortunately, once again I'm not particularly into them, this seems to be a pattern.

6.5/10

Puppies: Sieges Even - Sequence VIII: Styx

I'm pretty sure I've given Sieges Even a spin before. They stick in my mind as one of those stock prog metal bands. I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment, but they are kind of standard prog metal? I have no problem with anything going on here, it's all pleasing, it just doesn't bring anything new to the table. The first half is nice enough but I like where they switch it up a bit going into the second half. I was waiting for this to do something more than it does. I feel I've just heard plenty of music like this and it's really got to ne something special to win me over nowadays. I know, I'm picky. The end is pretty anti climactic as well, which only adds to my frustration.

6.5/10

Nick_z: Royal Thunder - Time Machine

Turns out I've listened to Wick by Royal Thunder, but I can't recall anything about it. This was nice. It has something about it that makes me feel it is quite influenced by classic rock, but also feels a bit grungey in the vocal delivery. Now I did like the vocals here, and they definitely raised it from a lower score. To be honest I'm still not entirely sure if these vocals are sung by a male or a female, not that it matters. Musically it did what it needed to, and I'm fine with that. I'll likely add the album to one of my playlists, meaning I might get around to spinning it in a few years.

7/10

Ariich: Dissona - Totality

This is a pretty cool entry. Dissona are yet another band I have checked out already, but it wasn't the album this song is taken from and I don't really remember anything about the album I did check out. Totality opens with some real unnerving atmosphere and then bursts into life. The ominous bells throughout most of the first 3 minutes help conjure up some dark, deserted medieval village or something. Like the beginning of Resident Evil 4, that's what I can picture. The clean vocals also have a chanting feel which again adds to this same mental image for me. The harsh vocals are nice here and way more up my alley than others in this round. There are some really nice chugging riffs and a nice dense sound. Although it doesn't completely blow me away, it really does work well.

7/10

TAC: IOTUNN - Safe Across the Endless Night

TAC, I have watched your taste in extreme metal blossom over the last few years, to the point where I take your recommendations on the 'What album' thread pretty seriously. I know I've checked out this band/album as you've been pimping them pretty hard this year. I remember thinking they were OK, but I wasn't overly impressed. This song still sits in the same place for me. It's pretty good, and ticks all the boxes, without having that special something that makes me love it. It's write ups like this where I realise that I find it really hard to define what I like and dislike in music. This could easily be something that I love, but it's just not quite there. It's the longest song in this round by quite a way, but it doesn't feel overlong. I suppose the vocals are one thing that hold it back a little. The cleans are not a style I love, but the harsh vocals aren't too bad. I mean musically this is actually really impressive and the incredible drum work throughout just drives this whole thing. With this being nearly 14 minutes long I think it would've scores higher if it had more of a pay off. It's really solid all the way through but if it built towards an epic ending it would've been even better. Especially in the form of some super melodic solo. My overall opinion... incredible drumming is not enough to sell this band to me.

7/10

Evermind: Oh Hiroshima - Aria

As someone who has gotten more into post-rock over the last few years, I'm definitely aware of Oh Hiroshima. Luckily for you, as it happens, they seem (at least from this song) to be very similar to my favourite post-rock band, Crippled Black Phoenix. This song could literally be on a CBP album. I like the hushed vocals, the melancholy vibe, the heavier climax of the song. It's all good stuff and definitely enough to make me want to delve deeper into this band. It's not quite enough on its own to wow me, but with post-rock I tend to love whole albums rather than individual songs. Really cool song though, although I was left wanting more.

7/10

Revenge319: ACE - Incoming!

Super fast paced video game music, count me in. I've never played any of the Xenoblade games but I have a friend who is a big fan and has been trying to get me to play them for years. This is kind of a safe bet. It's boss battle music (I assume) with loads of shredding guitars, funky bass lines and epic synths. It gets me pumped, so it's doing something right. It's quite straightforward, and doesn't vary too much in the first three minutes. That last minute though! They really amp it up, and wrap up with a 'sprint to the finish' guitar solo.

7.5/10

Buddyhunter1: REVO - Uroboros, The Serpent That Devours the Horizon

Video game music, woop. This game was described as being pretty much a Final Fantasy game in all but name. I'm way behind with gaming, so the video game music I listen to is purely nostalgic. This certainly has a Nobuo Uematsu feel, no doubt about it, and that's obviously not a bad thing. The first 30 seconds especially feels like Uematsu worship. This has shredding, frentic guitars, choir vocals, a piano breakdown,  galloping bass, celtic sounds, lots of changes in pace whilst keeping the energy up pretty much throughout. Basically all you could want. I think I've said before but I think it can sometimes be hard to love video game music, or connect with it in the same way, if you've never played the game. I'm sure connecting moments from the game to this music would hit me in the feels even more. As it is, this is still pretty dope. You can't really fault all the guitar work in this song at all. I like how much is packed into the 6 and a half minutes. If I had time to play video games anymore, I'd give it a go for sure.

7.5/10

Elite: Brad Mehldau - The Prophet is a Fool

This is great and really has a lot in common with another entry in this round. They both actually have the same kind of vibe, but this song is unfortunately not quite as good, although still great. It's some kind of modern jazz, that I guess is really appealing to me? This is news to me. I love the spoken word, social commentary, it is really quite poignant. I love the bass line and crazy trumpet and saxophone that is peppered throughout. The instrumentation here is more organic, for the most part, than the other similar entry. It still has a dirty groove to it though. I'm up for hearing more of this sort of entry dude, so come at me.

7.5/10

Cyril: Gunship - Dark All Day

Right, so I know I gave Sacul a 4/10 for an 80s pop song and slated it for it's 80s production. Well here is a song that is full on 80s sci fi movie soundtrack fodder, with a slightly modern twist...and I LOVE it! I have checked out Gunship before as I've seen people pimping them over the last few years. I love this because it really takes me back to all the 80s soundtracks to all my favourite films/TV programmes. As a kid born in '83, I grew up with these sounds. But the song does more than just take you back to that era, it drags that era into the modern day. The vocals feel more modern, I love all the saxophone all over this, there are some parts where the beat just drops and it's great. I don't overly love the vocals but they work well with the music. I'm not sure I could listen to this all the time but it's great for a nostalgia hit, whilst still feeling somewhat modern. This was kind of a risk, but I think this would basically appeal to any 80s kid to some extent. Good shit dude.

8/10

Sacul: The Comet is Coming - Blood of the Past

Now we're talking! This is hands down the best song of the roulette so far. I love that you've gone from worst song of the roulette to best! It's a risky entry for sure, as this is something that I'm not even sure I could put a genre to. It's the sort of entry that makes me think "what is THIS?!". I like that, that's what I'm always looking for. It's some bassy, funk, jazz rock, and I'm all about it. The repeating bass line and the saxophone just have so much groove. The erratic synth that is interspersed here also really works. I'd love to see this at a festival whilst high as fuck, it'd be life altering. It's mainly all instrumental but the spoken word part (and I love spoken word like this, in instantly recognisable accents) just speak to me. Then back to that groove. It is so repetitive, but that fact the sax is anything but repetitive keeps me coming back, and you just lose yourself in it. I need to play this to my wife actually, this is the sort of thing she'd love (edit: I did play it to my wife, sure enough she did love it). Take note guys, this is just a great piece of music!

9/10

Standings:

Buddyhunter1 - 15
Ariich - 14.5
Cyril - 14.5
Evermind - 14.5
TAC - 14.5
HOF - 14
Nick - 14
Elite - 13.5
Revenge - 13.5
Romdrums - 13.5
King - 13
Puppies - 13
Sacul - 13

Feel free to flag any miscalculations, but I think we're good. It's all pretty close guys with only 2 points separating first and last.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:39:40 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 2 Results!
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
1st place? How'd that happen :biggrin: Let's see if that lasts more than a round!

That Gunship song is great. Let's see if you like what I send this round too... :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2021, 03:42:13 PM »
Rats. *Ghost backups*

Back to the drawing board.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2021, 03:47:43 PM »
First place in round one to last place in round two! That's the way I roll.

Surely you've heard of Marco Minnemann (he "auditioned" to replace MP in DT, and has played with Steven Wilson, Tony Leven, Jordan Rudess, a bunch of others)? Randy McStine is a little less known but he's also played with a bunch of people and done his own solo stuff. This is kind of his current main project. Most of their songs are short and snappy like this one. This might be one of the longer ones even. I enjoy how unusual their song structures are, and I really like their compact prog approach. But you're not the first person to have a somewhat puzzled response to them!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »

And Sacul did the opposite. :lol

Sent, btw!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »

Super fast paced video game music, count me in. I've never played any of the Xenoblade games but I have a friend who is a big fan and has been trying to get me to play them for years. This is kind of a safe bet. It's boss battle music (I assume) with loads of shredding guitars, funky bass lines and epic synths. It gets me pumped, so it's doing something right. It's quite straightforward, and doesn't vary too much in the first three minutes. That last minute though! They really amp it up, and wrap up with a 'sprint to the finish' guitar solo.

7.5/10

Nice to see this one did well! If you ever find the time to play through the Xenoblade games (they are really long), I fully recommend them; Xenoblade 1 is my favorite video game of all time, and Xenoblade 2 is somewhere in my Top 10. Regarding the song I sent, it is indeed boss battle music; to go on a tangent for a moment to talk about some random trivia, this song was somehow uploaded online shortly after the game was first announced, and at the time, it had some vague name like "Action Battle" or something, which led people to think this was going to be the normal battle theme. That would've been a little too dramatic, in hindsight... But anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it! My favorite section is the beginning of the song, but that last minute is also incredible.

Well, I'll try to get my Round 3 submission to you soon. I've got quite a few ideas, it's just a matter of whether I want to play it safe for another round, or if I'm prepared to ruin any reputation I might've had on this forum for having good taste in music willing to go for something a lot more risky.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »
Round 3 sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
Alrighty, a decent enough score and sitting in joint 2nd place so doing ok so far, but need to up my game.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
Alrighty, a decent enough score and sitting in joint 2nd place so doing ok so far, but need to up my game.

Same...and sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #464 on: September 28, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
hell yeah i got two 4/10's at the same time!!!  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: September 28, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »

You needed your normal 8.1.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »
as usual no clue how this next one's gonna go over! i am also very likely gonna swap out one of my later round songs at some point but i'm looking at them all and idk which one i'd want to cut yet  :lol maybe what i'm thinking of swapping out for will just go post-roulette instead

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #467 on: September 28, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »
Now we're talking! This is hands down the best song of the roulette so far. I love that you've gone from worst song of the roulette to best!
This seems to be a recurring motif for me on roulettes :lol

I'm very surprised you dug that track a lot! I just randomly remembered liking that particular song when the record came out, and thought what the hell, maybe he'll be into it as well. Hell yeah :metal

I'll try send groovy stuff from now on.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: September 28, 2021, 05:19:43 PM »
My next entry is like the polar opposite of gunship
The one after that is also not like gunship but it's closer
I think I have one future entry that could be by a stretch compared to gunship really
My roulette strategy of sending a ton of things without regards to consistency is, I think, very funny

Offline nick_z

« Reply #469 on: September 28, 2021, 06:06:51 PM »
Round 3 sent!

Offline HOF

« Reply #470 on: September 28, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »
Sent!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #471 on: September 28, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Surely you've heard of Marco Minnemann (he "auditioned" to replace MP in DT, and has played with Steven Wilson, Tony Leven, Jordan Rudess, a bunch of others)? Randy McStine is a little less known but he's also played with a bunch of people and done his own solo stuff. This is kind of his current main project. Most of their songs are short and snappy like this one. This might be one of the longer ones even. I enjoy how unusual their song structures are, and I really like their compact prog approach. But you're not the first person to have a somewhat puzzled response to them!

The first album was a real nice surprise from last year. I agree with you - lots of cool bits, twists and turns in such short songs. Very quirky, in the best possible way. For some reason, I kind of missed they were already coming out with a second one - I have it in my queue and I'll try to check it out soon.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »

Turns out I've listened to Wick by Royal Thunder, but I can't recall anything about it. This was nice. It has something about it that makes me feel it is quite influenced by classic rock, but also feels a bit grungey in the vocal delivery. Now I did like the vocals here, and they definitely raised it from a lower score. To be honest I'm still not entirely sure if these vocals are sung by a male or a female, not that it matters. Musically it did what it needed to, and I'm fine with that. I'll likely add the album to one of my playlists, meaning I might get around to spinning it in a few years.

7/10

Well, consistent scores so far, at least  ;)

The album this is from, Crooked Doors, is my favorite of the three they put out, but Wick (their last) is excellent too. I love this song and yes, (her) vocals are clearly something that stand out. Let me know how it goes with the album a few years down the road  :biggrin:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #473 on: September 29, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
1st place? How'd that happen :biggrin: Let's see if that lasts more than a round!

That Gunship song is great. Let's see if you like what I send this round too... :corn

That's just how the turntables. Oh, also in reply to your question in the PM, the banned Shinning is the Black Jazz band  :tup

Rats. *Ghost backups*

Back to the drawing board.

Send a song of 'Rats' quality and we'll talk!

I'll be honest, I never kept up with the MP replacement saga, so I've never heard of him. Yea it wasn't a bad song at all, just didn't quite grab me.

7.5/10

Nice to see this one did well! If you ever find the time to play through the Xenoblade games (they are really long), I fully recommend them; Xenoblade 1 is my favorite video game of all time, and Xenoblade 2 is somewhere in my Top 10. Regarding the song I sent, it is indeed boss battle music; to go on a tangent for a moment to talk about some random trivia, this song was somehow uploaded online shortly after the game was first announced, and at the time, it had some vague name like "Action Battle" or something, which led people to think this was going to be the normal battle theme. That would've been a little too dramatic, in hindsight... But anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it! My favorite section is the beginning of the song, but that last minute is also incredible.

Well, I'll try to get my Round 3 submission to you soon. I've got quite a few ideas, it's just a matter of whether I want to play it safe for another round, or if I'm prepared to ruin any reputation I might've had on this forum for having good taste in music willing to go for something a lot more risky.

I'd love to have the time to play through the Xenoblade games, but realistically I won't be for a long time yet. I bought Red Dead Redemption 2, 3 years ago, and still haven't finished it! Also, don't play it safe, it's more fun that way  :tup

Yea, come on man! Send something as good as what I've sent you!

Now we're talking! This is hands down the best song of the roulette so far. I love that you've gone from worst song of the roulette to best!
This seems to be a recurring motif for me on roulettes :lol

I'm very surprised you dug that track a lot! I just randomly remembered liking that particular song when the record came out, and thought what the hell, maybe he'll be into it as well. Hell yeah :metal

I'll try send groovy stuff from now on.

Groovy, but DIRTY groovy.

I love a last minute, off the cuff submission, it's the way forward!

7/10

Well, consistent scores so far, at least  ;)

The album this is from, Crooked Doors, is my favorite of the three they put out, but Wick (their last) is excellent too. I love this song and yes, (her) vocals are clearly something that stand out. Let me know how it goes with the album a few years down the road  :biggrin:

Yea the vocals were one of the best of the round, if not the best. Keep 'em coming dude.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #474 on: September 29, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
Sent! I went for something very risky, but whatever happens, I won't have any regrets.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2021, 11:57:54 AM »
Cheers to those of you who have sent so quickly! I've got 10/13 now. Just waiting on Elite, King and Sacul  :corn

I'll get started ASAP, and who knows, maybe do some tidbits. But thanks to TAC's inspiration, they will be in gif form only.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
I will send my song after work today!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: September 29, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Cheers to those of you who have sent so quickly! I've got 10/13 now. Just waiting on Elite, King and Sacul:corn
so business as usual :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: September 29, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »
I'm surprised by how well I'm doing but I'm sure it's not going to last :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 29, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »
Sent!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: September 30, 2021, 07:46:30 AM »
Luke, do you like hip-hop? I may have some groovy stuff in that case :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #481 on: September 30, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »
Luke, do you like hip-hop? I may have some groovy stuff in that case :corn

Hip hop was my jam from the age of like 17-discovering Metallica. I listened to the main stream stuff really. I do have a few hip hop artists on my ipod, but it's pretty limited.

It'd be a bit of a risk I guess, but then again maybe not. If it's hip hop that sounds nothing like any hip hop I've ever heard then sure. Blow my mind......

...but more importantly, just fucking send something!

I started my first listens of the songs I've got so far, I couldn't help myself. Good stuff so far   :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: September 30, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »
Ok, just sent :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #483 on: September 30, 2021, 12:17:17 PM »
Ok, just sent :lol

Nice one dude. A bold move, I like it.

Just waiting on Elite now, as painfully predictable as that is.

I will get first gifpressions up once I've got all  the songs!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Elite.....dude
« Reply #484 on: September 30, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
Blood Of The Past is pretty sick, I like it :tup

Offline romdrums

« Reply #485 on: September 30, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »
Gif to use for Elate:

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #486 on: September 30, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #487 on: September 30, 2021, 01:03:04 PM »
Hi!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: September 30, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
:corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.