Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Final Results Part 2  (Read 65647 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 9 First Impressions
« Reply #1680 on: January 18, 2023, 08:56:21 AM »
My final EP round will probably have 12+ if I don't have more dropouts.  What's the record? 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1681 on: January 18, 2023, 09:46:47 AM »
As much as I love roulettes, and I really do, it is hard to keep up with them with so much other listening to do, and posting in other threads, on top of you know... life.

Well I've smashed out two write ups, and you'll be happy to know that both songs have grown considerably since my first impressions. Anyone who worries they had a far from positive first impression, this could be you  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1682 on: January 18, 2023, 09:55:12 AM »
When I run roulettes, I pretty much close off all other listening for that 8 week period. Sometimes I do need to clean my ears out during or after a tough round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1683 on: January 18, 2023, 10:00:35 AM »
Well I've smashed out two write ups, and you'll be happy to know that both songs have grown considerably since my first impressions. Anyone who worries they had a far from positive first impression, this could be you  :lol

So who are the unlucky 2/8?   :biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1684 on: January 18, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »
When I run roulettes, I pretty much close off all other listening for that 8 week period. Sometimes I do need to clean my ears out during or after a tough round.

I just can't do it! My musical obsession just takes over and I think for me, I'd end up hating my own roulette if I tried to reduce my other listening that much. It clearly works for you though Tim, bearing mind how smoothly yours run  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1685 on: January 18, 2023, 10:02:16 AM »
It clearly works for you though Tim, bearing mind how smoothly yours run  :lol

Damn straight! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1686 on: January 18, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »
It clearly works for you though Tim, bearing mind how smoothly yours run  :lol

Damn straight! :lol

I'd like to say I will run my next as smoothly but we all know there's no chance of that. It keeps every roulette unique right? Yep, thats what it is.

So who are the unlucky 2/8?   :biggrin:

Unlucky? Oh no, these boys have The Dark Ones own luck.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1687 on: January 18, 2023, 10:44:37 AM »
I assume mine will be the same as previous rounds, ie the opposite direction. Very positive impression ending up with average to mediocre score. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1688 on: January 18, 2023, 10:54:26 AM »
So you're telling me I have a chance... :king:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1689 on: January 18, 2023, 12:13:13 PM »
I assume mine will be the same as previous rounds, ie the opposite direction. Very positive impression ending up with average to mediocre score. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: January 18, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »
Twosuitsluke's first BJ was rated 6.5.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1691 on: January 18, 2023, 01:04:38 PM »

:rollin

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1692 on: January 20, 2023, 04:02:04 AM »
Twosuitsluke's first BJ was rated 6.5.

:lol

OK I've got first draft of all the write ups done. As usual, I'm gonna do a final listen, tweak the write ups and settle on scores. I am to be posting results in about 12 hours.

Not entirely sure how the final standings will shake out but I feel it will be all to play for in the final round, for at least more than half of you!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1693 on: January 20, 2023, 07:27:48 AM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: January 20, 2023, 07:28:43 AM »
Buddy, I didn't know you had a drinking problem? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1695 on: January 20, 2023, 07:30:01 AM »

I might get one if I lose this roulette after being in first place for this long. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: January 20, 2023, 07:53:55 AM »
 :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1697 on: January 20, 2023, 08:28:58 AM »

I might get one if I lose this roulette after being in first place for this long. :lol

There might be a full bar after I post mine too.   :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1698 on: January 20, 2023, 11:56:48 AM »

Just remember...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1699 on: January 20, 2023, 02:51:12 PM »
Luke, is the final round the same...one song open round? Any wrinkles to it?

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1700 on: January 20, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
I think it's 20:00 of music from one artist. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1701 on: January 20, 2023, 03:05:49 PM »
Yea apologies for not being particularly clear. It will be 20 minutes of music by your chosen artist.

In terms of scoring. I think if you send multiple songs, as opposed to one long epic, I'll score them individually then work out the average score to give you your score for the round.

That all sound good?

Also...

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1702 on: January 20, 2023, 03:18:26 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1703 on: January 20, 2023, 03:51:36 PM »
Well here we go again, the penultimate round comes to a close and you're all one step close to this 18-month ordeal coming to an end. This round was a bit of a 50/50 split in terms of quality, but as always I've got new leads to check out, and albums to spin. Buckle up and start readying those roulette winning, final round submissions...

LithoJazzoSphere: Brad Paisley - Time Warp

So yea, you really ARE throwing everything, and the kitchen sink at me now. Out of desperation, or a sense of what I like, who knows!? Part of me feels like you are tapping into that side of my tastes that likes high energy, guitar focal songs, with a sense of novelty, or a gimmick (not quite sure that fits, but we'll go with it). These types of songs can definitely appeal to me, I guess I'll use something like Hocus Pocus by Focus as an example. By that I mean, oh here's that weird song with the yodelling, but also it's sick :lol

This is no Hocus Pocus though. Never heard of Brad Paisley but clearly he's cornering the market on a bluesy hoe down, and I can appreciate a good solo virtuoso guitarist (I was just listening to Eric Johnson). It's what I imagine a drug fuelled, psychobilly line dance would sound like. But do I like it. It's fine, and there are elements I like but it's just a bit too much on the country side for me, if I'm honest.

6.5/10

Buddyhunter1: Carpenter Brut - Roller Mobster

Synthwave is not a genre I can't say I'm really into, or even fully understand :lol  however, I can appreciate good music when I hear it (even if you guys test me with some of the stuff you send :neverusethis: ). I did check out this bands latest last year, as I was apparently checking out nearly every new release going! It was alright I guess, but not enough for me to save the album in any playlists for further listening. I'm not sure if their latest was considered a strong release or not?

Anywho, it is nice to be reminded sometimes that something that I don't think is for me, maybe IS for me. This is my main takeaway here, maybe I should listen to a bit more of this sort of thing. It has a nostalgic feel for me and transports me to a time of 80s movie soundtracks and video games. I don't think the song is particularly strong, on it's own, and it feels like it's over before you really know it. In summary this has an appealing sound in some ways, but isn't supporting a particularly great song, as far as I'm concerned.

6.5/10

Kingshmegland: Rise Twain - Golden

Golden left me feeling uncertain on what to write after that initial listen. Well the good news is, I developed a better grip on what it is that I liked about it. Mainly it's that guitar tone and style. Like some of the other songs in this round, once I was able to work out who it reminded me of, I sort of 'got it' more. I don't know if you are familiar with John Frusciante and much of his solo work, but this has parallels with his work on the album Shadows Collide with People, in terms of the guitars. Vocally this is also pretty good, and the guy has a hell of a set of pipes on him. The final bit that swung it for me was obviously that outro guitar solo, it's not overly long or technical but it has soul and takes me somewhere.

7/10

Evermind: Ultar - Azathoth

Azathoth definitely feels different to the bulk of what you've been sending in this roulette so far, and I think easily your most metal, albeit a kind of post-metal with black metal screeches. I know you've mentioned that you’ve moved away from metal, especially in the last few years. I'm not sure if this actually metal that you have been listening to recently, or an attempt to just appeal to that side of my tastes. This is probably the biggest grower of the round, as I was pretty unimpressed (or maybe just more impressed by the other submissions) to begin with. The harsh vocals work and when this song goes hard, it does just that. There is some really pummelling double bass, which i love. Initially I said that Azathoth had a fairly good build, but no pay off. Well I still kind of stand by the final statement, but I appreciate the build way more. The calmer instrumental bits remind me of MONO, although it could possibly be a similar band, I can't quite pinpoint it. This song just kind of ends, and left me feeling a more epic end would've considerably increased your score.

7/10

Nick_z: Lantlôs - Lake Fantasy

Nick, I reckon you've had a frustrating ride through this roulette. You've sent lots of music which is on the cusp of what I love, but never quite hitting the bullseye. There's no doubt we've got similar tastes, but I'm a fussy bugger, so there's that. Turns out I'd heard this album before, last year, although I'm not sure where the recommendation came from. Did you post about it in the albums thread? I talked about this needing better vocals in the first impressions, and I do feel this is the weakest part of the song for me. But, also I do love the production on the drums. It took a few listens to realise who this reminded me of, and it's VOLA. Weirdly, once I connected this song to who it reminded me of, I liked it more. I'm far from a huge VOLA fan but I definitely like them, and if anything this is probably better than most of their songs.

7/10

Ariich: Dog Fashion Disco - Struck By Lightning

Dog Fashion Disco are a band I've definitely tried before, including their latest release last year (which didn't leave much of an impression). In my head they sit alongside bands like Moron Police (maybe due to the shared ridiculousness of the band names), are a bit quirky, don't take themselves too seriously and have a pop tinge to their music. Looking at their albums I heard Adultery (based on a DTF recommendation I'm sure), Erotic Massage and CULT CLASSIC. Erotic Massage is really good, so I'm surprised I've not checked out more, but anyway, just a bit of a background on my experience with the band.

Struck By Lightning has that 'show tunes' feel, but with some rocking guitars alongside it. I love the vocal melodies throughout this, as they are quite catchy. I do love something I can sing along to, and I feel with more listens that's what this would deliver. I also really appreciate all the different instruments we've got playing here, including the Hammond organ (I think) and funky bass. With the amount of listens I gave this, I don't think it had quite finished growing on me, but I still enjoyed it and have added more of their albums to one of my playlists.

7.5/10

Wolfking: Dark Tranquility - Punish My Heaven

Sorry you were lacking much hope going in to this round, but it goes to show that just because I've heard a band and not delved further, it doesn't mean I think they're trash. Dark Tranquility are a band I've been aware of ever since I discovered melodeath, so close to 20 years. Clearly they've been a chink in my melodic death armour, as this is great! I know that out of all my metal head friends, there's only one who listened to them a bit, back in the day. Due to this I was never really exposed to them, and I guess whatever album I checked out by them, likely back when I discovered In Flames, left me feeling that they weren't anywhere near as good. About 2 years ago I started a deep dive into all the death metal classic albums I'd never heard. Along the way I started adding classic thrash and melodeath albums I'd not heard as well. One of those albums was The Gallery, so I had actually heard this song before. On to the song itself, and I will admit I don't remember it being this good first time around.

Firstly wow! That opening is baddass. I think it's fair to compare this early album to their peers In Flames, as plenty of comparisons can be drawn. It's rare now that I really find melodeath that I love, that I don't feel I've heard before, but this feels like an album I could really get into. The main selling point is 100% in those riffs, and guitar in general, but the vocals are pretty on point for me as well. '95 was kind of the dawn of good melodeath, so these guys were ahead of the game compared to many, and I'm sure the other Dark Tranquility I've heard didn't sound this good!

8/10

TAC: Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics

Holy Riff Fest Batman! Moon of Foul Magics had me from the get go, and with each shift in style I loved it even more. My initial thoughts, based partly on the album cover, was that this was going to be similar to Blood Incantation or something, which is fine by me! The riff at the start (that comes in around 0:55) is thrashy as fuck, and I love it. I can't describe exactly why (shocker) but it's just such a good riff. Even though this is some good ol' extreme metal, it has so much melody running through it. We have black metal style vocals, some blast beats in the drums so that's another genre ticked off.

We get a nice slowed down section before it changes again, and surprise surprise, another great riff.
Then it shifts gear and has this beautiful melodic section. It's actually what I really look for in extreme metal, something that changes it up a bit, and stands out from the regular assault, of most extreme kind.
The melodic guitar work, as I mentioned, really reminds me of the new Worm EP. There are what I would describe as flamenco style guitar playing before the proper guitar solo starts. And that solo! The tone, the production of everything else in the background, that style of playing, yea it gets me going. This takes us to the last two, sprint to the finish, minutes. It perfectly rounds of the song with more sublime riffage and breakneck drumming.

Tim, did you have this in your back pocket the whole roulette, waiting to use it at the end to steal the win, as that is now looking likely.

The great thing about this song is (I may have mentioned :lol ), is that it hits so many elements of different metal genres!

This song is so good that I've really struggled to hold off listening to the whole album, especially as it's a '22 release, and I'm conscious if the while album is this good I'll have to revise my list. Now I've posted results I will do a listen and post thoughts in the 'What Album' thread.

9/10

Standings:

TAC - 67.5
Buddyhunter1 - 66.5
LithoJazzoSphere - 65.5
Evermind - 65
King - 64.5
Wolfking - 64.5
Nick - 64.25
Ariich - 63.5

So it turns out the only real movement this round is Tim taking the top spot, after Buddy has kept it warm for so long, and Kade has moved up a spot. I think it's brought the scores a bit closer together as well. Really, anybody could still win this thing. Rich, you'd have to really pull off something spectacular, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Twosuitsluke's Second Roulette v. Round 9 Results!!
« Reply #1704 on: January 20, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
OI! TIM! GET OFF MY SPOT! :lol

Well I'm at least happy Litho also bombed this round. :neverusethis:

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1705 on: January 20, 2023, 04:03:20 PM »

Serves me right for taking a risk.   :rollin   Relatively safe final round submission, here we come!   :lol   I still have time to drop Luke's submission in my own roulette to 0 too.   :biggrin:

Although, unless TAC horribly bombs the final and Buddy also underperforms, which is probably not happening, I'm highly unlikely to have any chance at winning now, so I could just say fuck it and send something else really different and interesting.  Have to think about it more now. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:14:03 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1706 on: January 20, 2023, 04:04:11 PM »
I should've saved Autoneosis for the 20 minute round. Dammit! :lol

Pressure's on now. I might take a little extra time on his one.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1707 on: January 20, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
I'll have to add one more choice to my Round 10 submission after listening to that Autonoesis song.

Dammit, this is stressful. :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1708 on: January 20, 2023, 04:40:55 PM »
LithoJazzoSphere: Brad Paisley - Time Warp

Part of me feels like you are tapping into that side of my tastes that likes high energy, guitar focal songs, with a sense of novelty, or a gimmick (not quite sure that fits, but we'll go with it).

That's pretty much it.  That's sort of been my profile of your taste, almost exactly that, and often with a bit of a punk attitude to it, which had worked fairly well so far, but everything was in the metal/rock/punk realm.  I wanted to see if I could expand a bit and see if you were up for something with similar characteristics but a bit further out of that arena.  I considered some actual bluegrass, but ultimately decided to at least keep something with some rock instrumentation and overdriven guitar so there'd be at least something to kind of hold onto.  Maybe that saved me from the vaunted 4/10, heh. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: January 20, 2023, 05:54:32 PM »
Onto what band for the 20 minutes. Looks like I'll make a few playlists and listen yo them.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: January 21, 2023, 12:11:54 AM »
I'm not sure if this actually metal that you have been listening to recently, or an attempt to just appeal to that side of my tastes.

It's the latter :lol I haven't listened to this song in a while, but I did listen to it before sending and I still liked it.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1711 on: January 21, 2023, 02:30:39 AM »
Cool, a better score this time although not enough to lift me off the bottom of the survivors.

I'm not actually that keen on Erotic Massage, and Cult Classic I do like but it's a little darker and less fun/dynamic than most of their stuff. In terms of the albums you've not checked out before, the one this song comes from (Sweet Nothings) is pretty great and a little more accessible on the whole, in terms of riffs and melodies. Committed to a Bright Future and Ad Nauseum are also very enjoyable albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1712 on: January 21, 2023, 07:34:50 AM »
Well, the first wave of chagrin having been dulled a bit, I'm leaning back towards my original idea for the final round.  A genre that I surprisingly haven't really sent yet.  I'm close enough that maybe I'll knock it out of the park, and I guess even second place if one of you screw up isn't so bad.   ;D   Sometime later I'll tell Luke my alternate round 9 submission I thought of going with and maybe find out how hard I should be kicking myself. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1713 on: January 21, 2023, 08:07:48 AM »
Nick_z: Lantlôs - Lake Fantasy

Nick, I reckon you've had a frustrating ride through this roulette. You've sent lots of music which is on the cusp of what I love, but never quite hitting the bullseye. There's no doubt we've got similar tastes, but I'm a fussy bugger, so there's that. Turns out I'd heard this album before, last year, although I'm not sure where the recommendation came from. Did you post about it in the albums thread? I talked about this needing better vocals in the first impressions, and I do feel this is the weakest part of the song for me. But, also I do love the production on the drums. It took a few listens to realise who this reminded me of, and it's VOLA. Weirdly, once I connected this song to who it reminded me of, I liked it more. I'm far from a huge VOLA fan but I definitely like them, and if anything this is probably better than most of their songs.

Nah, it's been fun  :)

I enjoyed sharing some old favorites (e.g. Novembre) and some newer stuff that I thought you'd enjoy  ;D In all seriousness, I'm glad that while I never quite hit the bullseye, I also haven't completely missed the mark...

Anyhoo...for the last round I'm thinking of a band I've fond of for a very long time. I am still deciding on the set of songs...curious to see what you think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1714 on: January 21, 2023, 09:20:51 AM »
I'm going to be out all day today, Luke. I think I have my playlist ready. I want to hit it a couple of times tonight and then I expect to send it off. So you'll have it when you wake up Sunday morning.