Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188247 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #6195 on: December 15, 2022, 01:29:18 AM »
Listened to Scenes From a Memory in the car yesterday for the first time in a long while.  What an absolutely incredible, near perfect piece of art.  Just simply amazing.  Loved every second of it as much as I did when I first heard it.  It's hard for me to really find new great music when you have an album like this that's unmatched you can go back to and love all over again.

You understand why I find it real hard to score over an 8.5 in my roulette then  :lol  it really is a beautiful album, just the full package. I'm sticking this on now, it's been a while since I played the whole thing.

I remember when I joined DTF I was having a Dream Theater renaissance, and became obsessed with this album all over again. I was listening to it almost daily  :heart  good times.

Great album. Doesn't get the props it deserves.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan and if anything I feel it gets MORE props than it deserves.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6196 on: December 15, 2022, 02:52:04 AM »
I would like to hear someone's opinion who never heard them before. Maybe Kade can "A/B" it assuming he doesn't know the original.

I liked it, but don't know the original.  Don't think my thoughts can really be taken seriously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6197 on: December 15, 2022, 02:55:38 AM »
Listened to Scenes From a Memory in the car yesterday for the first time in a long while.  What an absolutely incredible, near perfect piece of art.  Just simply amazing.  Loved every second of it as much as I did when I first heard it.  It's hard for me to really find new great music when you have an album like this that's unmatched you can go back to and love all over again.

You understand why I find it real hard to score over an 8.5 in my roulette then  :lol  it really is a beautiful album, just the full package. I'm sticking this on now, it's been a while since I played the whole thing.

I remember when I joined DTF I was having a Dream Theater renaissance, and became obsessed with this album all over again. I was listening to it almost daily  :heart  good times.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan and if anything I feel it gets MORE props than it deserves.

I remember going to a drinking party at around 16 and had purchased this album maybe the week before or something.  I have fond memories not wanting to go because I was too busy listening to it on repeat.  Went to the party and was just thinking about this album the whole time, until I was getting too drunk lol.

Being hung over the next morning again, all I wanted to do was go home and chill and put it on again.  It's such a fond memory.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6198 on: December 15, 2022, 03:30:39 AM »

I remember going to a drinking party at around 16 and had purchased this album maybe the week before or something.  I have fond memories not wanting to go because I was too busy listening to it on repeat.  Went to the party and was just thinking about this album the whole time, until I was getting too drunk lol.

Being hung over the next morning again, all I wanted to do was go home and chill and put it on again.  It's such a fond memory.

Wow dude, sounds like you were really crushing hard on this album. Not sure of the last time I heard someone talk about an album like someone they were romantically involved with. For the record, I love it!

Did you carve WK + SFAM on a tree?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6199 on: December 15, 2022, 03:40:30 AM »
Lol, it's just something that really has stuck in my mind.  one of those albums you just wanted and can't wait to listen too.

My tree though already has WK +KIP, so.....

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6200 on: December 15, 2022, 03:47:30 AM »
Lol, it's just something that really has stuck in my mind.  one of those albums you just wanted and can't wait to listen too.

My tree though already has WK +KIP, so.....

Oh yea, we've all had those albums  :heart

I can only assume that was a typo, Rust in Peace is a great album for sure :neverusethis:

If in fact it's KIP, then your first love was misplaced, sorry about that

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6201 on: December 15, 2022, 03:49:22 AM »
Lol.  You just reminded me I need to send you a song.  Hmmm....

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6202 on: December 15, 2022, 03:52:39 AM »
Lol.  You just reminded me I need to send you a song.  Hmmm....

Want me to save us both some time?

2/10

FATALITY!

I've never heard any Winger as far as I can recall...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6203 on: December 15, 2022, 04:11:33 AM »
Didn't send Winger lol.  Sent something other than melodic death metal though, so still might get 2/10.

Maybe Winger for the next round though haha.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6204 on: December 15, 2022, 06:20:32 AM »
Angelo Badalamenti: Twin Peaks

Rest in peace. Thank you. Ouch. And extended thanks to Mike Portnoy for choosing Laura Palmer's Theme to open the shows on the Met2 tour. (which was my first DT tour aged 10)
Such a magnificent composer, I loved his minimalist compositions on The Return and the iconic songs for the original series. Farewell maestro.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6205 on: December 15, 2022, 06:36:04 AM »

Over the years this has risen to become my favourite Mastodon album. 16 years and I only love it more, just the perfect Mastodon album  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6206 on: December 15, 2022, 07:03:10 AM »
Eidola - The Architect

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6207 on: December 15, 2022, 08:03:26 AM »
I would like to hear someone's opinion who never heard them before. Maybe Kade can "A/B" it assuming he doesn't know the original.

Having heard a few F&J albums, but not those, I gave a quick listen to a few of the same songs from each.  Personally I kind of prefer the newer production a bit.  The original guitars sound a little farty, and there's not much bass in the mix.  I wouldn't call the newer mix amazing, but it improves on those two aspects, the guitars have more bite to me. 

There are two things that I think bug people about the rerecordings.  One is the vocals.  He definitely doesn't have the youthful enthusiasm, and doesn't bother even trying to hit some of the high notes of the originals.  The other is that the tempos are definitely slower on a number of the songs.  That's probably where the feeling of lower energy is coming from.  I don't have the familiarity with the originals to have those ingrained, and the "correct" tempo for a song is kind of subjective, it's possible they were too fast on the original (though probably unlikely for thrash crowds), but I can see that being a major hangup for many. 

On the other side, Chris Poland guests on three tracks on the newer version, that's hard to beat. 

Online nick_z

« Reply #6208 on: December 15, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »

Over the years this has risen to become my favourite Mastodon album. 16 years and I only love it more, just the perfect Mastodon album  :metal

Yep, 100% agree. It’s my favorite Mastodon too. It balances the heavy, the complex and the melodic just perfectly.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6209 on: December 15, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »

Of the Mastodon albums that I've listened to, Remission is my favorite, but Blood Mountain is probably my second favorite.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6210 on: December 15, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »
Been revisiting some classics today. Any fans? This album is feral, and I love it for it!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6211 on: December 15, 2022, 12:05:31 PM »
Dio - Master of the Moon

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Metallica - Live at the Kabuki Theater '85

Metal Church - Best of Mike Howe 2016-2021

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6212 on: December 15, 2022, 02:43:57 PM »

I liked it, but don't know the original.  Don't think my thoughts can really be taken seriously.

Check out the original. There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. I'm curious and I value your opinion.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6213 on: December 15, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »

Having heard a few F&J albums, but not those, I gave a quick listen to a few of the same songs from each.  Personally I kind of prefer the newer production a bit.  The original guitars sound a little farty, and there's not much bass in the mix.  I wouldn't call the newer mix amazing, but it improves on those two aspects, the guitars have more bite to me. 

There are two things that I think bug people about the rerecordings.  One is the vocals.  He definitely doesn't have the youthful enthusiasm, and doesn't bother even trying to hit some of the high notes of the originals.  The other is that the tempos are definitely slower on a number of the songs.  That's probably where the feeling of lower energy is coming from.  I don't have the familiarity with the originals to have those ingrained, and the "correct" tempo for a song is kind of subjective, it's possible they were too fast on the original (though probably unlikely for thrash crowds), but I can see that being a major hangup for many. 

On the other side, Chris Poland guests on three tracks on the newer version, that's hard to beat.

That was kind of the reason why I didn't even check the original haha.

Check out the original. There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. I'm curious and I value your opinion.  :metal

I'll see if I can listen to both over the holiday period where I get a couple of days off.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6214 on: December 15, 2022, 03:58:30 PM »
Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6215 on: December 15, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6216 on: December 15, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »

I keep coming back to this more than I thought I would.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6217 on: December 16, 2022, 06:56:48 AM »
311 - From Chaos

Offline pfillion

« Reply #6218 on: December 16, 2022, 08:22:30 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6219 on: December 16, 2022, 08:32:00 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online nick_z

« Reply #6220 on: December 16, 2022, 11:12:36 AM »
A couple more 2022 revisits...

...and a variety of other things over the last few days:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6221 on: December 16, 2022, 11:34:15 AM »
Metallica - Aragon Ballroom 1986
Metallica - Through the Never Soundtrack/Live

Amaranthe - s/t
Amaranthe - The Nexus

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6222 on: December 16, 2022, 11:36:31 AM »
Nemophila- Seize the Fate  :metal

Day 3...still awesome.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6223 on: December 16, 2022, 11:42:34 AM »
New Klone single

https://youtu.be/rz37KCgkZag

This sure is a cool cover!

I haven't properly explored Myrath's albums pre-Legacy. I think their last two are great (funnily enough, I listened to Legacy just yesterday)...so incredibly catchy and well-constructed. I've only listened to Tales...once, I think. I remember it being a little more Symphony X-influenced. I need to revisit.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6224 on: December 16, 2022, 02:22:49 PM »
Flotsam and Jetsam, Doomsday!  :metal

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6225 on: December 16, 2022, 05:42:11 PM »

It has some good songs.  My favorite is Atlas, Rise!  I liked Death Magnetic better.  I wish it had the same sound quality as this album.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6226 on: December 16, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6227 on: December 16, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »

A classic and a potential future classic. 

A true masterpiece, and an album I remember liking in '20, but had kind of forgotten about, probably time to revisit it.  If I recall it was one of the better 70s throwback albums. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6228 on: December 16, 2022, 09:56:27 PM »
Pain is Beauty has some cool songs, but I feel Abyss is more consistent. Great album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6229 on: December 16, 2022, 10:23:01 PM »
My copy finally arrived. So far, not as good as Shires, but not bad either.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history