Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188691 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #5740 on: November 18, 2022, 06:32:48 AM »
Badge Epoque Ensemble & Lammping - Clouds of Joy: Chance of Reign
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5741 on: November 18, 2022, 06:57:05 AM »
Charles Lloyd featuring Zakir Hussain & Julian Lage - Trios: Sacred Thread
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5742 on: November 18, 2022, 07:53:15 AM »
Willie Nelson - Live At Budokan (02/23/1984)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5743 on: November 18, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »

As their albums tend to do, it's been starting to grow on me.  Been spinning "Washing Machine" especially a lot of late. 

Peace Or Love was the first album of theirs I loved from the start, Killers and Ask For Help are some of my favorite tracks.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5744 on: November 18, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5745 on: November 18, 2022, 08:56:22 AM »

Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow
How is it? I'll give it a listen in a while.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5746 on: November 18, 2022, 09:05:23 AM »
Threshold - Dividing Lines
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pfillion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5748 on: November 18, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
Charles Lloyd featuring Zakir Hussain & Julian Lage - Trios: Sacred Thread

Not familiar with Charles, but Zakir and Julian are great. 

As their albums tend to do, it's been starting to grow on me.  Been spinning "Washing Machine" especially a lot of late. 

Peace Or Love was the first album of theirs I loved from the start, Killers and Ask For Help are some of my favorite tracks.

"Catholic Country" was the first standout track, it helps that it has Feist, who has worked well with them in the past.  "Angel" and "Love is a Lonely Thing" were the next ones, then "Rumours" a little earlier this year.  "Comb My Hair" might be next.  None of them are as strong as the best material from the last two albums yet though.  But it's creeping up on the debut for me. 

Online HOF

« Reply #5749 on: November 18, 2022, 10:27:26 AM »

I just saw this shared on another forum. Very strong Amy Mann resemblance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5750 on: November 18, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
Kimmie Rhodes and Willie Nelson - Picture In a Frame (Side A) EP

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5751 on: November 18, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »
Seems the wave of Weyes Blood hype is finally hitting this forum.  I like what I've heard from them, but I'm incredibly suspicious of albums that have such high-scores from aggregators right out of the gate.  Already 231 5-star ratings from RYM just halfway into release day is crazy to me, but I'm stingy with those I guess.  Maybe they'll win me over though. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5752 on: November 18, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
Soen - ATLANTIS

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5753 on: November 18, 2022, 02:05:03 PM »

Been looking forward to this! Threshold always delivers.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5754 on: November 18, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

Yeah, delivers sleep when my insomnia kicks in..  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5755 on: November 18, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »

Really? Always dug these dudes.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5756 on: November 18, 2022, 02:17:40 PM »

Nah, it's a good one  :biggrin: I mean, it's a Threshold album, obviously doesn't deviate too much from what they've been doing. But I actually found it to have a good amount of energy. A little bouncier. And Glynn Morgan is great, as usual.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5757 on: November 18, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
Alright alright. I'll give it a listen, but the lead single was blah as hell.

EDIT:
Ok I listened to the first three songs and the two long ones. It's OK. They just don't do a lot more me I guess. It could grow on me though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 04:39:36 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #5758 on: November 18, 2022, 04:35:40 PM »

How is it? I'll give it a listen in a while.

It’s absolutely fantastic. I gave it a 4.5/5 on first listen but I’m thinking it could go up to a 5 after more listens.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5759 on: November 18, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »

EDIT:
Ok I listened to the first three songs and the two long ones. It's OK. They just don't do a lot more me I guess. It could grow on me though.

Yeah, I mean, I get it...Threshold is not really the band that will blow you away...in a way, they have been so consistent throughout the years that they kinda get unnoticed because they don't have huge peaks. I have liked them since I've bought their debut, back in 1993. I was actually super-happy when they got Glynn Morgan back a few years ago...the first (and until recently, only) album he sang on, Psychedelicatessen, was always a favorite, and I much prefer him to Damian Wilson.

An early favorite on the new one is Let It Burn...really good song...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5760 on: November 18, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »

EDIT:

Yeah, I mean, I get it...Threshold is not really the band that will blow you away...in a way, they have been so consistent throughout the years that they kinda get unnoticed because they don't have huge peaks. I have liked them since I've bought their debut, back in 1993. I was actually super-happy when they got Glynn Morgan back a few years ago...the first (and until recently, only) album he sang on, Psychedelicatessen, was always a favorite, and I much prefer him to Damian Wilson.

I liked Haunted, but was ready to shut it off after the second song. Let It Burn was good, and then I decided to listen to the two epics. I'll give the thing a proper listen. I think it earned that.

The thing is, I loved Mac, and I think Wilson fucking blows monkey chunks. But Glynn is just...there.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5761 on: November 18, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
Dream Theater - Lost Not Forgotten Archives: Images and Words Demos-(1989-1991)
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5762 on: November 18, 2022, 08:31:30 PM »

EDIT:

I liked Haunted, but was ready to shut it off after the second song. Let It Burn was good, and then I decided to listen to the two epics. I'll give the thing a proper listen. I think it earned that.

The thing is, I loved Mac, and I think Wilson fucking blows monkey chunks. But Glynn is just...there.

Nooo!  :facepalm:

Dead Reckoning with Mac is absolutely epic! Psychedelicatessen is top of my list, but the last album Shires kicks ass too! I'm a fan since Wounded Land. For The Journey has some excellent tunes, check that out if you get a chance. They're very consistent but they fly under most peoples radar. They are not a very experimental band but they are excellent at what they do. They are one of my favorites for sure.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 10:51:42 PM by Glasser »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5763 on: November 18, 2022, 10:27:27 PM »

Agreed.  I think I read somewhere that TAC doesn't like Jorn Lande either.  I think he's getting a gargantuan lump of coal in his stocking from Santa next month. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5764 on: November 19, 2022, 08:05:43 AM »
Billy Strings - Me/And/Dad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5765 on: November 19, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »

Agreed.  I think I read somewhere that TAC doesn't like Jorn Lande either.  I think he's getting a gargantuan lump of coal in his stocking from Santa next month.

More like Jawn Lande. I do think he's excellent, but he just doesn't do it for me. I simply cannot connect with his voice generally, even though he's an amalgamation of a bunch of singers I do like. Probably to a fault though because he comes off as a sort of parody to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5766 on: November 19, 2022, 01:28:28 PM »
Today at work. Apparently I was in a mood.... :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5767 on: November 19, 2022, 01:42:58 PM »
Today at work. Apparently I was in a mood.... :lol

This is good, but you can do much better elsewhere with Paradise Lost  :) What else have you explored in their discography...?

Have listened to this one once, after the fantastic discovery of Woe. I remember thinking it was very good, I have to give it more spins...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5768 on: November 19, 2022, 01:49:46 PM »
So, the Paradise Lost album didn't do much for me. I think I only made it halfway through. I got them once in a roulette, and after hearing so much about them, I think I remember being disappointed. I'll have to find the track/score.

As far the An Abstract Illusion, I think I might like this more than Woe. It needs a headphone listen at home. I was going through EPs sent to me in my EP Roulette, as I still have most of them still Saved on Sportify, and I noticed that Cyril sent them to me a couple of years ago.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5769 on: November 19, 2022, 02:04:49 PM »
So, the Paradise Lost album didn't do much for me. I think I only made it halfway through. I got them once in a roulette, and after hearing so much about them, I think I remember being disappointed. I'll have to find the track/score.

Definitely do not give up on them! Medusa is part of their recent return to death/doom, including harsher vocals. That was never my favorite side of them (and it was a very short period at the very beginning anyway...), so I wasn't particularly excited about this "back to the roots" thingie they've been doing. Their 1991 album "Gothic" is an early classic, but its charm is hard to recapture.

I mean, there's always something good to be found in PL albums, but Medusa is not among my favorites, for sure. Their most recent record (Obsidian) is better, as it's a little more varied...

But anyway, do yourself a favor and check out Icon (1993) and Draconian Times (1995), if you haven't already. Those are absolute gothic-metal classics, setting the template for many bands in that genre in the years that followed. I like most of what they've done, even their much-maligned "Depeche Mode"-adjacent era, but to me those two albums are unmissable. For something a little more recent, check out their self-titled album "Paradise Lost" from 2005 - that was a return to crunchier guitars after their more "electronic" phase, but still very catchy and with some of their best songwriting (imo).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 02:23:58 PM by nick_z »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5770 on: November 19, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »
I will check those out. Yeah, the songs were so slow, I just couldn't get into it.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #5771 on: November 19, 2022, 02:53:05 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5772 on: November 19, 2022, 04:10:06 PM »
I like most of what they've done, even their much-maligned "Depeche Mode"-adjacent era

I like that stuff, but I'm also a big Depeche Mode fan. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5773 on: November 19, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
I like most of what they've done, even their much-maligned "Depeche Mode"-adjacent era

I like that stuff, but I'm also a big Depeche Mode fan.

Me too  :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5774 on: November 19, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
By the way, Litho...what are your favorite Paradise Lost records?