Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188279 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #5285 on: October 19, 2022, 04:19:23 AM »
Loverboy is 10000% better than that growlie bs you listen to  ;D

Hmmm......nah....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5286 on: October 19, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »
Plains - I Walked With You A Ways
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5287 on: October 19, 2022, 08:44:30 AM »
Sam Gendel - blueblue
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5288 on: October 19, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5289 on: October 19, 2022, 11:28:01 AM »
Steven Wilson - To The Bone

Ron Keel Band - Metal Cowboy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5290 on: October 19, 2022, 12:24:42 PM »
Foxing - Dealer

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5291 on: October 19, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5292 on: October 19, 2022, 01:46:31 PM »
The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5293 on: October 19, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »

My second favorite violinist (after Hilary Hahn).  I don't get in the mood for classical often enough, so I try and enjoy those times when I do, like yesterday/today. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5294 on: October 19, 2022, 02:38:55 PM »
Jungle - Jungle

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5295 on: October 19, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »

Blue Rev

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5296 on: October 19, 2022, 09:21:41 PM »

Love this album! Excellent guitar playing. Overall killer album!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5297 on: October 20, 2022, 12:14:59 AM »

For anyone curious enough to listen...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5298 on: October 20, 2022, 06:50:15 AM »
More stuff

After two listens I'm saddened to say I find the new Slipknot really dull.

I Luciferi is far from Danzig's best work but not terrible.

I was inspired by Zantera's trip through the thrash classics, to give a few Anthrax albums another go. I've never been a fan, and have never really been able to understand how they were put with the other three of The Big Four, the other three are leagues ahead! I'll try a few of their other acclaimed albums but probably never listen to them again after that.

Coheed are the best, SSTB is amazing, end of.

Can't really beat a classic like Heartwork, just genre defining!

First time spinning this Bloodbath, on my journey through a shit ton of death metal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 06:56:39 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5299 on: October 20, 2022, 07:09:33 AM »
Pet Symmetry - Pets Hounds

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5300 on: October 20, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »
I was inspired by Zantera's trip through the thrash classics, to give a few Anthrax albums another go. I've never been a fan, and have never really been able to understand how they were put with the other three of The Big Four, the other three are leagues ahead!

It doesn't have anything to do with quality, it's just a popularity contest derived from the peak years of thrash.  And if we're talking about longevity and quality now among the mainstream ones, Testament has been destroying the big 4 for at least a couple decades anyway. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5301 on: October 20, 2022, 08:26:51 AM »
Big Red Machine - Big Red Machine

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #5302 on: October 20, 2022, 11:29:27 AM »

This is somehow his cheesiest album yet. And I still can't help but be entertained by it. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5303 on: October 20, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
Esperanza Spalding - Junjo

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5304 on: October 20, 2022, 12:34:47 PM »
I was inspired by Zantera's trip through the thrash classics, to give a few Anthrax albums another go. I've never been a fan, and have never really been able to understand how they were put with the other three of The Big Four, the other three are leagues ahead!

It doesn't have anything to do with quality, it's just a popularity contest derived from the peak years of thrash.  And if we're talking about longevity and quality now among the mainstream ones, Testament has been destroying the big 4 for at least a couple decades anyway.

Oh I totally agree. I think that Testament have managed to stay relevant, with the metal scene throughout the 90s and 00s, more than any other 80s thrash band. I always vastly preferred them over Anthrax or Exodus.

I'd also argue that Kreator have one of the strongest back catalogues in thrash. Not only were they one of those proto death bands, they have released albums and songs that are basically death metal, and certainly melodic death metal. Their latest is so good and one of the best straight up metal albums I've heard this year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5305 on: October 20, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

Oh I totally agree. I think that Testament have managed to stay relevant, with the metal scene throughout the 90s and 00s, more than any other 80s thrash band. I always vastly preferred them over Anthrax or Exodus.

I'd also argue that Kreator have one of the strongest back catalogues in thrash. Not only were they one of those proto death bands, they have released albums and songs that are basically death metal, and certainly melodic death metal. Their latest is so good and one of the best straight up metal albums I've heard this year.

Part of being included in The Big Four is that they were the first four thrash bands that the major labels took a bet on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5306 on: October 20, 2022, 01:36:24 PM »

Part of being included in The Big Four is that they were the first four thrash bands that the major labels took a bet on.

Looking back, Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer are still big 4! Im a fan but Anthrax never stuck. Among The Living was really "it" for them. I like Spreading The Disease a lot more but when they broke out the jams shorts and had "I'm The Man" video on MTV they had their 15 minutes. Yes, State Of Euphoria was a good album but after that it faded. The Big 3 is more appropriate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5307 on: October 20, 2022, 01:56:52 PM »
Continuing with Tuesday's theme/connection...

Spent all day in my work area and I love 45 minute albums...banged out all of these today..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5308 on: October 20, 2022, 02:14:13 PM »
Ahhh yes Tim! Remember when we recorded albums to cassette and a 90 minute Maxell XLII-S would fit a full album on each side. Those Maxell tapes STILL have not oxidized!!!! The best! Great albums there, love Malice!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5309 on: October 20, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 05:05:50 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #5310 on: October 20, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5311 on: October 20, 2022, 05:38:44 PM »

Good picks there!!!

Continuing with Tuesday's theme/connection...

Spent all day in my work area and I love 45 minute albums...banged out all of these today..

On most days, this is my favorite Slayer album.

More stuff

After two listens I'm saddened to say I find the new Slipknot really dull.

Unfortunately, at least for now, I have to agree. I am a fan, and I liked their previous one, but this is not sticking so far. Actually, some of the most experimental/unusual songs are the ones I'm liking the best so far. I will give it more tries, but it doesn't look promising

I was inspired by Zantera's trip through the thrash classics, to give a few Anthrax albums another go. I've never been a fan, and have never really been able to understand how they were put with the other three of The Big Four, the other three are leagues ahead! I'll try a few of their other acclaimed albums but probably never listen to them again after that.

I do prefer other thrash bands to Anthrax too, but they certainly have bangers in their discography. Among the Living is fantastic (probably my favorite), and Spreading the Disease is not too shabby either. I have to say, Fistful of Metal might almost sound like a different band, but its speed metal/thrash blend is quite tasty.

Can't really beat a classic like Heartwork, just genre defining!

Yes, indeed. Incredible stuff.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5312 on: October 20, 2022, 06:38:25 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5313 on: October 20, 2022, 06:41:16 PM »
On my commute back and forth today:

It was actually my first time hearing Ghostlights...the only Avantasia album I hadn't checked out yet, for some reason. I really enjoyed it! Pretty "silly", as usual, but so many great songs and melodies.  Cryptosis' album absolutely rips...I hope to hear more from them. Katatonia's Dead Air is a great selection of songs from Last Fair Deal Gone Down onward. I mean, it's a weird album, being a pandemic-era live stream event and all, but having watched it live, this is a 100% genuine representation of what happened that day. And Green Carnation - it's so good. Epic, classic, dark and beautiful at the same time. Shame it's so short on genuinely new stuff (considering out of 5 songs, one is a cover and one is a re-recorded song - although both are great). One of my favorites from 2020, I'm hoping for new material soon...

Then some newer releases:

Brymir - Voices in the Sky: I guess this lies on the cheesier end of epic, melodic death metal. Not quite sure, but it was a fun listen. Very "Finnish", if that makes any sense.
De Profundis - The Corruption of Virtue: Death Metal from the UK, nothing terribly new, but it sounds pretty good, with decent doses of Death-ian (the band) melody...for me, it gets more interesting from the third song on...and the bass is excellent.
Mother of Graves - Where Shadows Adorn: Oh, this is quite interesting. Death doom that sounds like it's coming straight from the European scene of the 90s (but they are from Indianapolis!). All growling vocals, appropriately sad and morose melodies. I've given it a few listens already. It doesn't quite cross into greatness, I don't think (there are some kinks here and there) but it's very good.
And as for Queensryche...this is getting better and better. I'm REALLY liking it. It's early to say, but I can see it becoming my favorite of the La Torre era...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5314 on: October 21, 2022, 02:37:53 AM »

This is some tasty stoner metal... :hat

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5315 on: October 21, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »

This is some tasty stoner metal... :hat

Yea, I was impressed. Gonna listen to some more by them later I think. Anyway, on to todays listens so far...

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5316 on: October 21, 2022, 06:40:26 AM »
Avantasia - APEWTMS (LOL)
Aha - True North
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen
Lamb of God - Omens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5317 on: October 21, 2022, 08:12:11 AM »
Roy Eldridge Quintet and Ella Fitzgerald Quintet - In Concert (May 21, 1959)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5318 on: October 21, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
Various Artists - Here It Is: A Tribute to Leonard Cohen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5319 on: October 21, 2022, 10:31:48 AM »
Joe Bonamassa - Road to Redemption