Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188356 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #4865 on: September 20, 2022, 02:46:46 AM »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:28:06 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4866 on: September 20, 2022, 05:43:54 AM »

So......this is......like.....fucking incredible hey....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4867 on: September 20, 2022, 06:10:12 AM »

So......this is......like.....fucking incredible hey....

This is seemingly up everyone's street  :lol it is really good though.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4868 on: September 20, 2022, 06:46:41 AM »
Given the number of times it's been mentioned in the last few pages I'm just assuming it's running away with the lead for album of the year here. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4869 on: September 20, 2022, 06:48:08 AM »
Given the number of times it's been mentioned in the last few pages I'm just assuming it's running away with the lead for album of the year here.

Only in a world where Coheed and Cambria don't exist :neverusethis:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4870 on: September 20, 2022, 06:52:36 AM »
Sumerlands - Dreamkiller
Well, that's quite enough of that.

You didn't like it, I gather?  ;)
Well, they are clearly good at what they do.  I would have liked this a lot when I was in high school.  But this kind of thing doesn't really appeal to me any more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4871 on: September 20, 2022, 06:52:58 AM »
Melissa Aldana - Free Fall
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4872 on: September 20, 2022, 09:23:28 AM »
Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4873 on: September 20, 2022, 10:04:53 AM »
The Beths - Future Me Hates Me

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4874 on: September 20, 2022, 11:55:53 AM »

Some great Norwegian metal  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4875 on: September 20, 2022, 12:05:36 PM »
Skyrim Atmospheres

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4876 on: September 20, 2022, 12:07:52 PM »
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4877 on: September 20, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
Lalo Schifrin - Metamorphosis: Jazz Meets the Symphony # 4

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4878 on: September 20, 2022, 02:04:37 PM »

The Mars Volta The Mars Volta: I've never been huge on these guys, and this sadly doesn't change it - it feels like a collection of half-baked ideas and the singing is quite hit and miss. I love pop music, but this ain't it for me.

Destrage So Much, Too Much: Well, the title is quite descriptive :lol. Some friends were hyping it as a return to form, but I think I'm just not that much into this style of super chaotic, intense music anymore.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4879 on: September 20, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »

Love this album! Kade, Check out the solos in "Skull Session".  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4880 on: September 20, 2022, 02:42:05 PM »
Destrage So Much, Too Much: Well, the title is quite descriptive :lol. Some friends were hyping it as a return to form, but I think I'm just not that much into this style of super chaotic, intense music anymore.

Honestly I don't think it's chaotic / intense enough. :lol It starts off pretty great (the first song is one of the best I've heard from them) but the back end of the record is really lacking in energy, and it's not that long of a record either so I'm left wanting more, ironically :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4881 on: September 20, 2022, 02:44:29 PM »
yeah the first few tracks i was like "oh they went full on mathcore huh?" and then the rest of the album just sounded like their last two

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4882 on: September 20, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »

Love this album! Kade, Check out the solos in "Skull Session".  :metal

Yeah, I know this one pretty well.  I'd say it's a tad underrated.  Really solid album.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4883 on: September 20, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »

Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4884 on: September 20, 2022, 05:52:32 PM »

Eight Bells - Legacy of Ruin: I guess I'd call it "prog-doom"...? Pretty cool album, with some hints of that Ludicra/Hammers of Misfortune weirdness too. Not something I'd listen to all the time, but songs like The Well and Nadir (to mention a couple) are really good.

Spiritus Mortis - The Great Seal: From Finland, more classic doom metal on this one. Inspiration is mostly from the 80s, I'd say, but there are some traces of older Sabbath too (that middle riff in the middle of Khristovovery!). I have enjoyed it.

...and then I'm doing some Soilwork revisit. The Chainheart Machine might still be my favorite. They were practically a different band then (well, literally - I guess the only current member from that line-up is Strid), and they are no doubt still great but, man, this slab of melodic death metal is fantastic. Predator's Portrait is quite good too, but I always viewed as a transitional album. Next up will be Natural Born Chaos...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4885 on: September 20, 2022, 05:54:00 PM »
...and then I'm doing some Soilwork revisit. The Chainheart Machine might still be my favorite. They were practically a different band then (well, literally - I guess the only current member from that line-up is Strid), and they are no doubt still great but, man, this slab of melodic death metal is fantastic. Predator's Portrait is quite good too, but I always viewed as a transitional album. Next up will be Natural Born Chaos...

Made my top 50.  Perfect melodic death metal.  Still might by my fav too. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4886 on: September 20, 2022, 06:29:23 PM »

Love Soilwork. I agree they are the perfect melodic death band. Excellent live as well!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4887 on: September 20, 2022, 06:36:27 PM »
This one just now...

Miscreance - Convergence

Debut record from this Italian band. These guys clearly love that technical death/thrash in the vein of early Atheist and mid-Death (and Sadist too, since we were talking about them not long ago). The influence might still be a little too obvious but, after one listen, I'm quite impressed (I love that kind of sound, so...). The riffage is great and there are some great melodic bits in the solos.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4888 on: September 20, 2022, 06:38:27 PM »
This one just now...

Miscreance - Convergence

Debut record from this Italian band. These guys clearly love that technical death/thrash in the vein of early Atheist and mid-Death (and Sadist too, since we were talking about them not long ago). The influence might still be a little too obvious but, after one listen, I'm quite impressed (I love that kind of sound, so...). The riffage is great and there are some great melodic bits in the solos.

Gotta check that one out! Thanks for the description!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4889 on: September 20, 2022, 06:47:45 PM »
Goddamn Nick, this fucking rules! Sounds like a well produced Death.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4890 on: September 20, 2022, 06:57:03 PM »

Love Soilwork. I agree they are the perfect melodic death band. Excellent live as well!

Speed has the most unbelievable stamina, to do what he does live, to keep getting better, and to have dozens, possibly hundreds of guest spots at this point, and not destroy his voice.  I'm not sure I could call them the perfect MDM band though.  They've always struggled with the mellower side to contrast the heavier parts.  They've gotten better at it over the last few albums, but they don't really have that folky acoustic angle that In Flames, Eventide and others had, or the epic ballads like Noumena or Amorphis could do. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4891 on: September 20, 2022, 09:47:25 PM »

O rly??

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4892 on: September 20, 2022, 09:49:06 PM »

Speed has the most unbelievable stamina, to do what he does live, to keep getting better, and to have dozens, possibly hundreds of guest spots at this point, and not destroy his voice.  I'm not sure I could call them the perfect MDM band though.  They've always struggled with the mellower side to contrast the heavier parts.  They've gotten better at it over the last few albums, but they don't really have that folky acoustic angle that In Flames, Eventide and others had, or the epic ballads like Noumena or Amorphis could do.

I think Soilwork always represented mote of that modern side of the genre well.  Strict old school MDM though, I can't go past Jester Race.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #4893 on: September 20, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
Alan Parsons Project - Eve

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4894 on: September 21, 2022, 12:02:39 AM »
This one just now...

Miscreance - Convergence

Oh yea, gotta check this out.

Edit: yea this is good stuff dude, keep 'em coming!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:58:36 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4895 on: September 21, 2022, 06:15:47 AM »

I think Soilwork always represented mote of that modern side of the genre well.  Strict old school MDM though, I can't go past Jester Race.

Agreed. And, really, Soilwork were MDM in a "traditional" sense only for a short while, I think. Already with Natural Born Chaos they morphed into their own beast (which technically is still under the MDM umbrella because, well, it was still death metal and melodic  :biggrin:).  Something different from the sound that I typically associate with that scene around in the mid-90s anyway. And in that scene, yes, The Jester Race is tough to beat. Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery is up there too.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4896 on: September 21, 2022, 06:36:32 AM »

O rly??

It has Death vibes, for sure...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4897 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:45 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4898 on: September 21, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »

Nothing says death more than a logo you can’t decipher 😀

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4899 on: September 21, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »
And, really, Soilwork were MDM in a "traditional" sense only for a short while, I think. Already with Natural Born Chaos they morphed into their own beast (which technically is still under the MDM umbrella because, well, it was still death metal and melodic  :biggrin: ).  Something different from the sound that I typically associate with that scene around in the mid-90s anyway. And in that scene, yes, The Jester Race is tough to beat. Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery is up there too.

There were relatively few bands that kept the traditional original MDM sound into the 00s anyway.  Just like the original death metal scene itself by the mid-90s, it splintered into dozens of different variations with amalgamations of other genres and influences.  Their version has always been one of my favorites though with the clean vocal sections and synth usage, leading into Scar Symmetry, Disarmonia Mundi, Deadlock, Raintime, Sybreed, Amaranthe and others.