Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188142 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #4655 on: September 05, 2022, 06:06:10 PM »
King Diamond was always theatrical and his music, fictional stories. The makeup never phased me. His voice, well, listen to the Bee Gees, notably the song Tragedy, I would love to hear King cover that. So KD is metal Bee Gees. As far as Michael Moon, he joined during Abigail, he actually played on the bonus track, Shrine. He was very young at the time so he probably needed more rehearsals before the tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4656 on: September 05, 2022, 06:10:17 PM »
So KD is metal Bee Gees.

:rollin :rollin

I came to KD very late in the game, after GMYS..P. I had zero interest in the late 80's. I wish I did, but I just couldn't take him seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4657 on: September 05, 2022, 06:29:02 PM »
So KD is metal Bee Gees.

I came to KD very late in the game, after GMYS..P. I had zero interest in the late 80's. I wish I did, but I just couldn't take him seriously.

Love old MF and KD!!!! I was with Damn The Machine as a roadie when they toured with Flotsam and Voi Vod. Can't remember what Flotsam album that was. A TMI Funny story, I used Flotsam's tour bus bathroom for a dump and flooded it. Erik and Michael ate at the same Chinese restaurant that day with myself and Chris Poland and I'm pretty sure the others followed my lead.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4658 on: September 05, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »
WOW!

Yeah, I love F&J. Saw them a bunch of times back in the day. Michael was funny. He'd wear a nice collared polo shirt and was the fastest headbanger I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4659 on: September 05, 2022, 06:37:53 PM »
WOW!

Yeah, I love F&J. Saw them a bunch of times back in the day. Michael was funny. He'd wear a nice collared polo shirt and was the fastest headbanger I've ever seen.

Michael was such a goofball, totally awesome dude!!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 08:26:29 PM by Glasser »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4660 on: September 05, 2022, 06:55:04 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4661 on: September 05, 2022, 06:55:35 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4662 on: September 05, 2022, 06:56:16 PM »

I have to say that this is my go to Ozzy album.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4663 on: September 06, 2022, 02:38:10 AM »

Glad to spark some King Diamond discussions. I discovered Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, probably like many others, after hearing Metallica's Garage Inc album. I gave all the bands they covered a good go, but for the most part think the covers are better than the originals.

I also absolutely LOVED the song In The Fire, from the Roadrunner United project. This song features King Diamond on vocals.

I have never been overly sold on King's theatrics, but I find it interesting abd I've probably persevered more than I have with other artists.

I know I picked up a cheap second hand copy of Abigail back in the mid 00s, and then downloaded most of his 80s output. I've just found myself digging back into a lot of classic 80s/90s metal recently, and King Diamond has some nice surprises.

This was my first time listening to The Spider's Lullaby and damn, great first impression. It strikes me as one his heaviest albums.

Wish I liked this half as much as I do the original, which is my all time favourite live album. I think they should've only played songs that weren't on the original, such as Orion, To Live is to Die, And Justice for All or Fade to Black. Fuck, can you imagine! I like most of the songs that weren't on the original though, they just weren't the ones I wanted to hear.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4664 on: September 06, 2022, 05:57:25 AM »
So KD is metal Bee Gees.

Love old MF and KD!!!! I was with Damn The Machine as a roadie when they toured with Flotsam and Voi Vod. Can't remember what Flotsam album that was. A TMI Funny story, I used Flotsam's tour bus bathroom for a dump and flooded it. Erik and Michael ate at the same Chinese restaurant that day with myself and Chris Poland and I'm pretty sure the others followed my lead.  :lol

This story makes you a celebrity Tom.  Outstanding.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4665 on: September 06, 2022, 05:59:25 AM »
As years go by, TSL keeps going up my KD list.  It could be top 5.  Such an underrated, under appreciated album.  His heaviest album too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4666 on: September 06, 2022, 06:17:50 AM »
As years go by, TSL keeps going up my KD list.  It could be top 5.  Such an underrated, under appreciated album.  His heaviest album too.

There are certainly some great riffs and I'll be giving it another spin before the end of the week. What are your top 5 then dude?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4667 on: September 06, 2022, 06:21:34 AM »
Bitchin Bajas - Bajascillators
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #4668 on: September 06, 2022, 06:25:42 AM »

Damn the Machine!! That was such a good band/record (they only had one, correct)? Loved Chris Poland's playing...

This is a very cool album...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4669 on: September 06, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »

Yea it's one of those I'll forget about then am always surprised when I come back to it like "why don't I listen to this more often?"

Couldn't resist this after talking about it earlier  :metal
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:37:39 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4670 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:27 AM »

I actually love that album.

Online nick_z

« Reply #4671 on: September 06, 2022, 07:37:17 AM »

TSL was my first KD album. Bought it when it came out, and at the time I had no knowledge of him or Mercyful Fate. Haven't checked it out in a while, I should revisit.

Can't say I'm a huge KD fan but, as much as they might be obvious choices, I think Abigail, Them and Conspiracy are great, great albums. I have a soft spot for The Eye too. Like I said, I haven't revisited the rest (including TSL) in a bit, so maybe it's time to do that...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4672 on: September 06, 2022, 08:19:59 AM »
Stryper- Against the Law

Boston- s/t

Rush- Hold Your Fire

Van Halen- 1984

Online nick_z

« Reply #4673 on: September 06, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »

TSL was my first KD album. Bought it when it came out, and at the time I had no knowledge of him or Mercyful Fate. Haven't checked it out in a while, I should revisit.

Well, I just re-listened to The Spider's Lullabye and it was great! I remembered it being a little more direct than the typical KD album, and indeed it is...I guess in part it's because it's not a concept/story (except for the last few songs). Great riffs and melodies all around. Good stuff!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4674 on: September 06, 2022, 09:30:26 AM »
Michael Romeo's new solo album (again). That guy slays his instrument like few others; also love Dino's vocals.

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4675 on: September 06, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Dream Theater - A View From the Top of the World
King's X - Ear Candy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 02:33:05 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4676 on: September 06, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
Steven Wilson - To The Bone
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4677 on: September 06, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
Lean Year - Sides
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4678 on: September 06, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »

Damn the Machine!! That was such a good band/record (they only had one, correct)? Loved Chris Poland's playing...

DTM had only one album but recently released a CDs worth of demos. Basically demos of the album. You can find it on Qobuz.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4679 on: September 06, 2022, 11:37:31 AM »

Asunojokei - Island

One one hand this album art is completely unfitting to what the music sounds like but at the same time it kinda works. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4680 on: September 06, 2022, 11:46:18 AM »
Bill Orcutt - Music for Four Guitars

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4681 on: September 06, 2022, 11:51:08 AM »

Asunojokei - Island

One one hand this album art is completely unfitting to what the music sounds like but at the same time it kinda works. :lol

I know what you mean. A perfect example of why you shouldn't judge a post-black metal album by it's anime cover.

I really liked this album. I didn't really like the last Deafheaven album, and this is way better anyway.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4682 on: September 06, 2022, 11:56:35 AM »
I didn't really like the last Deafheaven album, and this is way better anyway.

That's a pretty low bar, though. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4683 on: September 06, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
Kris Kristofferson - Live at Gilley's - Pasadena, TX: September 15, 1981

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4684 on: September 06, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »

This is true. I have a sure fire way to determine whether I will like a certain album. I ask my "Does this album sound in anyway like a Morrisey record?". If the answer is no then chances are I'll like it. Unfortunately Infinite Granite was unable to pass this simple test.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4685 on: September 06, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
Lou Turner - Microcosmos

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4686 on: September 06, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »

This is true. I have a sure fire way to determine whether I will like a certain album. I ask my "Does this album sound in anyway like a Morrisey record?". If the answer is no then chances are I'll like it. Unfortunately Infinite Granite was unable to pass this simple test.

:lol

I'm listening to it again for the first time since like, the month it came out. I think it could have been an okay album if the vocalist didn't sound asleep the entire time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4687 on: September 06, 2022, 12:56:50 PM »
King's X - Three Sides of One

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #4688 on: September 06, 2022, 01:11:10 PM »

:lol

I'm listening to it again for the first time since like, the month it came out. I think it could have been an okay album if the vocalist didn't sound asleep the entire time.

Yea it was one of last years low points.

Trying out a few thrash gems now.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4689 on: September 06, 2022, 01:20:59 PM »
I haven't spent as much time with Deafheaven as I'd like, so I'm only vaguely familiar with their earlier work, but to offer a counter opinion, I did enjoy that album.  "Shellstar" and "Mombasa" were standout tracks.  It's mostly the lush, textured guitar work that I like, but I don't mind the vocals, the distant, calm and relaxed approach makes for a refreshing listen, and also effectively contrasts the shrieks when they come in later.