Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188081 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #4620 on: September 01, 2022, 09:05:26 PM »
Jammindude!   I Love Nuclear Assault! Game Over and The Plague are tops for me. I noticed they took off the song Lesbians. Do you happen to have that original cd? I would swap CD ripps with you if there's anything you're looking for?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4621 on: September 01, 2022, 09:29:15 PM »
Jammindude!   I Love Nuclear Assault! Game Over and The Plague are tops for me. I noticed they took off the song Lesbians. Do you happen to have that original cd? I would swap CD ripps with you if there's anything you're looking for?

I have never seen that song on the CD. As far as I know, that was only on the cassette version and my friend owned it years ago. Obviously that song wouldn’t go over very well these days, but back in the day it was just a bunch of young men “taking the piss”.  :rollin :rollin

I always loved the early albums, but to me, they hit their stride on Handle With Care. I still maintain that that’s in the top five thrash metal albums ever produced by anyone. Period.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4622 on: September 01, 2022, 10:13:13 PM »
I looked, yes, it was cassette only. I just wanted the original pressing period. Handle With Care is excellent as well. Check out some of the Whiplash stuff, especially the first two. "Walk The Plank!". Great stuff  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4623 on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:19 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4624 on: September 01, 2022, 10:41:15 PM »
This evenings listening...

new dreadnought is not disappointing, as i didn't have high expectations, but it was underwhelming anyways. idk the more they polish off their metal edges the less interesting they get

Ok, so I ignored the existence of this band until I read these posts.

Listening to a couple of songs from the album they just released...they sound a bit weird and all over the place, but I'm intrigued. Are there other albums I should check out/start from?
was only ever super into their first one tbh, it's been like a slow but steady decline with each subsequent one
production's a little rough but otherwise it's good stuff

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4625 on: September 02, 2022, 12:27:19 AM »
This evenings listening...

new dreadnought is not disappointing, as i didn't have high expectations, but it was underwhelming anyways. idk the more they polish off their metal edges the less interesting they get

Ok, so I ignored the existence of this band until I read these posts.

Listening to a couple of songs from the album they just released...they sound a bit weird and all over the place, but I'm intrigued. Are there other albums I should check out/start from?
was only ever super into their first one tbh, it's been like a slow but steady decline with each subsequent one
production's a little rough but otherwise it's good stuff

Yea, I'd say Bridging Realms is my favourite of the bunch. I'll give the new one a second listen as some of it sounded interesting enough.

What an album  :metal

I'm onto the new Megadeth album now  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4626 on: September 02, 2022, 09:04:21 AM »
Wayne Shorter, Terri Lyne Carrington, Leo Genovese, and Esperanza Spalding - Live at the Detroit Jazz Festival
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4627 on: September 02, 2022, 09:19:13 AM »

Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes

Best hip-hop album of the year.

One of the best hip-hop albums I’ve ever heard.

This year has been absolutely fantastic for music so far. I think I rated like 5 albums 5/5.
Which albums? I need some new music so I'm curious :P

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
black midi - Hellfire
Everything Everything - Raw Data Feel

The new Beach House could get there too.
Thanks, I wasn't that much into the Black Country, New Road, and I didn't like black midi's previous record, but I'll check the others out :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4628 on: September 02, 2022, 12:02:07 PM »
I've been on a Blondie binge all week, so I'm rotating between their first 4 albums (Blondie, Plastic Letters, Parallel Lines, and Eat To The Beat).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4629 on: September 02, 2022, 12:38:17 PM »

Today's spins. Out of the new ones, Megadeth is solid but I'm not sure it's quite as good as Dystopia. It's still great though and I love the cover of Police Truck.

New Butterfly Effect was pretty bland and uninteresting to be honest, I'm unlikely to revist.

The new King Buffalo was more promising, but then I really loved their last.

As for the rest, I've been continuing my Napalm Death binge with this mid 90s effort. Apparently the album was pretty slated, probably because it sounds more like Fear Factory than their early grind days. I didn't mind it at all though.

Nile and Teenage Bottlerocket are both great, for very different reasons.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4630 on: September 02, 2022, 03:46:11 PM »
I've been on a Blondie binge all week, so I'm rotating between their first 4 albums (Blondie, Plastic Letters, Parallel Lines, and Eat To The Beat).

Zydar, that is a great 4 album run. Eat To The Beat is literally one of my all time favorite albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4631 on: September 02, 2022, 03:49:27 PM »
The biggie today was of course the new Megadeth, and to a lesser extent, the new Blind Guardian. Hit them each three times at work today and then the Megadeth again after work.

But one album released today that I am loving is this:

I got into Trial with their 2017 album Motherless, which...let's just say is unique. But their new album Feed The Fire has a much more classic metal sound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4632 on: September 02, 2022, 04:01:53 PM »
The biggie today was of course the new Megadeth, and to a lesser extent, the new Blind Guardian. Hit them each three times at work today and then the Megadeth again after work.

But one album released today that I am loving is this:

I got into Trial with their 2017 album Motherless, which...let's just say is unique. But their new album Feed The Fire has a much more classic metal sound.

Just one listen in, I enjoyed the heck out of the Megadeth album, while Blind Guardian unfortunately didn't grab me as much. Will revisit for sure, but I'm afraid it will be another one that won't really stick. Haven't been a gigantic fan of the last couple from them, At the Edge of Time and Beyond the Red Mirror. This one is a bit different, for sure, but I haven't felt it has that BG "magic" either. Don't know, we'll see...hope it grows...

Trial intrigues me...haven't heard a single note from the band yet, what is your pitch?  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4633 on: September 02, 2022, 04:05:09 PM »

Trial intrigues me...haven't heard a single note from the band yet, what is your pitch?  :biggrin:

Just start with the first song.  ;D Like I said, this is way more classic metal.

If you want to try something quite offbeat, try Motherless. Just remember that the songs work much better in the context of the full album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4634 on: September 02, 2022, 07:16:43 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4635 on: September 03, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4636 on: September 03, 2022, 12:05:28 PM »

Probably their best album in 20 years! Great stuff!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4637 on: September 03, 2022, 12:06:49 PM »

I was watching this video on YouTube last night and this album was cited as being one of the albums that paved the way for technical/progressive death metal albums in the early 90s.

I think although this is a thrash album, the prominent, jazzy bass they had going on was a big part of the influence. It's not a bad album at all and I'd give it another go for sure.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #4638 on: September 03, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
The new Etrange album is very good. (FFO LTE and SX)

https://etrange.bandcamp.com/album/enigme

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4639 on: September 03, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »

I was watching this video on YouTube last night and this album was cited as being one of the albums that paved the way for technical/progressive death metal albums in the early 90s.

I think although this is a thrash album, the prominent, jazzy bass they had going on was a big part of the influence. It's not a bad album at all and I'd give it another go for sure.

Love this one! I mean, Alan Tecchio's vocals don't really fit with any of the music  :biggrin: But yes, instrumentally it was as crazy as it got at the time it came out...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4640 on: September 03, 2022, 06:26:18 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4641 on: September 03, 2022, 06:27:12 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4642 on: September 03, 2022, 06:33:58 PM »

Love love love this album. Saw them on this tour!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4643 on: September 04, 2022, 04:33:03 PM »

Love this one! I mean, Alan Tecchio's vocals don't really fit with any of the music  :biggrin: But yes, instrumentally it was as crazy as it got at the time it came out...

I have this one on CD.  It's difficult to get into for sure but some insane stuff going on.  A great listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4644 on: September 05, 2022, 01:03:14 AM »

Some of what I was listening to yesterday evening along with this mornings spins.

I have this one on CD.  It's difficult to get into for sure but some insane stuff going on.  A great listen.

Yea I'm definitely going to revisit, there was a lot going on.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4645 on: September 05, 2022, 10:58:11 AM »
I just loaded an mp3 player with:

IMMOLATION discography.
PESTILENCE discography.
DEICIDE discography.
MACABRE discography.
Suicidal Tendencies- first album and Join The Army.
Cryptic Slaughter- Convicted.
Attitude Adjustment- American Paranoia.
Black Flag- Slip It In.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4646 on: September 05, 2022, 12:21:28 PM »

IMMOLATION discography.
PESTILENCE discography.
DEICIDE discography.
MACABRE discography.
Black Flag- Slip It In.

Nice! Think I'm going to be downloading a fair bit of Napalm Death and Pestilence to add to my ipod.

Currently playing this, and damn it is a really good live record.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4647 on: September 05, 2022, 02:29:48 PM »
Luke! I love King Diamond and that live album is excellent! I saw him in NYC when they played Abigail start to finish, Exodus opened for him. Love me some Bonded In Blood and Pleasures Of The Flesh!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4648 on: September 05, 2022, 03:35:02 PM »
Luke! I love King Diamond and that live album is excellent! I saw him in NYC when they played Abigail start to finish, Exodus opened for him. Love me some Bonded In Blood and Pleasures Of The Flesh!  :metal

I went to two KD shows on the Them tour in 1988. I was not a fan, and I left after the opening bands, who were the reasons for me even going. I do wish I had stuck around for a couple of songs, but he was not my scene at all back then.

9/6/88-Flotsam & Jetsam

11/3/88-Armored Saint

It's amazing that he came through and played the same clubs twice in a 2 month period.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4649 on: September 05, 2022, 04:00:03 PM »
I was always a big fan of Mercyful Fate and KD. I wish I saw Armored Saint back then. As far as Flotsam... Seen them multiple times and they are always amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4650 on: September 05, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »
I was always a big fan of Mercyful Fate and KD. I wish I saw Armored Saint back then. As far as Flotsam... Seen them multiple times and they are always amazing.

The thing is, I got into Armored Saint because we hung around "for a couple of songs" after Helloween in 1987, but ended up being blown away and stayed for their whole set.

Like I said, I had no qualms about leaving. MF/KD was not my thing, and were one of the reasons that I briefly lost interest in metal....which was saved single handedly by Helloween.

I don't know when you saw F&J, but the tours they for No Place and When The Storm Comes Down were the best. Troy Gregory was amazing on bass and on stage. Those are two of my all time favorite albums. They really missed him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4651 on: September 05, 2022, 04:15:37 PM »

IMMOLATION discography.
PESTILENCE discography.
DEICIDE discography.
MACABRE discography.
Black Flag- Slip It In.

Nice! Think I'm going to be downloading a fair bit of Napalm Death and Pestilence to add to my ipod.

Currently playing this, and damn it is a really good live record.

Michael Moon absolutely ruins this for me.  I mean, does he even know how to play, or is he randomly hitting shit?  Didn't even bother to learn anything in the slightest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4652 on: September 05, 2022, 04:19:11 PM »

The thing is, I got into Armored Saint because we hung around "for a couple of songs" after Helloween in 1987, but ended up being blown away and stayed for their whole set.

Like I said, I had no qualms about leaving. MF/KD was not my thing, and were one of the reasons that I briefly lost interest in metal....which was saved single handedly by Helloween.

I don't know when you saw F&J, but the tours they for No Place and When The Storm Comes Down were the best. Troy Gregory was amazing on bass and on stage. Those are two of my all time favorite albums. They really missed him.

This kind of surprises me but at the same time it doesn't.  I think we all go through those phases where you're like, "lol, WTF is this?" I saw Glen Drover with Megadeth and loved his performances and sought out his other stuff.  When I saw King Diamond and heard House of God, it was almost embarrassing.  Things come around though once you get over that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4653 on: September 05, 2022, 04:32:32 PM »

This kind of surprises me but at the same time it doesn't.  I think we all go through those phases where you're like, "lol, WTF is this?" I saw Glen Drover with Megadeth and loved his performances and sought out his other stuff.  When I saw King Diamond and heard House of God, it was almost embarrassing.  Things come around though once you get over that.

I graduated high school in the spring of 1986...just for time reference. I was exposed to speed/thrash metal early on, so bands like MF, Slayer (first album), Tank, Kill 'Em All......but while I liked the music, part of me wasn't into the imagery and rough vocals of metal. That's why in high school I gravitated to Iron Maiden, Dio...cleaner vocals.

It wasn't until I heard Keepers Pt.1 that really rekindled my love of speed metal. Then everything opened up. Still, I thought KD was a joke. The face paint and all. I had a friend that was really into him, but I just couldn't.. His voice is still not something I really like, which is why I gravitate to his later albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4654 on: September 05, 2022, 04:36:06 PM »

I graduated high school in the spring of 1986...just for time reference. I was exposed to speed/thrash metal early on, so bands like MF, Slayer (first album), Tank, Kill 'Em All......but while I liked the music, part of me wasn't into the imagery and rough vocals of metal. That's why in high school I gravitated to Iron Maiden, Dio...cleaner vocals.

It wasn't until I heard Keepers Pt.1 that really rekindled my love of speed metal. Then everything opened up. Still, I thought KD was a joke. The face paint and all. I had a friend that was really into him, but I just couldn't.. His voice is still not something I really like, which is why I gravitate to his later albums.

Yeah, haha, exactly my point.   I still laugh at it now, but I love him.  There's a video on Youtube where he's performing without the makeup and it's fucking badass.  He never needed it I thought but saying that, I wasn't around back then to properly judge.