Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188062 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #4585 on: August 30, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »

Loudness - Sunburst ~ 我武者羅

They still got it!

Edit: Damn one disc in and this is much better than the vast majority of modern albums by classic heavy metal bands.

Cool. I thought their last one, Rise To Glory was really good.

They are still responsible for one of my all time favorite live albums....Live Loud Alive.

Pretty good album, between thrash and US metal. Lots of Sanctuary/early Nevermore influence, especially in the vocals (singer sounds a lot like a young Warrel Dane - RIP). Can be quite aggressive too (case in point, penultimate song Maternal Foundry). Nice fat bass sound too...

Gonna check this too!

From Seven Sister's frontman Kyle McNeill. There were a couple of preview tracks a few weeks ago, the whole thing is out now. A little more 70s prog than the main band (definitely hear hints of Kansas in there), but still plenty of 80s metal too - just wrapped in a more vintage package. Liking it after one listen (Dawn of Mind is pretty awesome!)

I LOVED this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4586 on: August 30, 2022, 09:25:29 PM »
https://theodious.bandcamp.com/album/vesica-piscis

Woah! Just found this. Kade and Luke take note. (Drops Mic)

This sounds pretty interesting, I'll sample more tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4587 on: August 31, 2022, 12:39:54 AM »

Loudness - Sunburst ~ 我武者羅

They still got it!

Edit: Damn one disc in and this is much better than the vast majority of modern albums by classic heavy metal bands.

Cool. I thought their last one, Rise To Glory was really good.

They are still responsible for one of my all time favorite live albums....Live Loud Alive.

Pretty good album, between thrash and US metal. Lots of Sanctuary/early Nevermore influence, especially in the vocals (singer sounds a lot like a young Warrel Dane - RIP). Can be quite aggressive too (case in point, penultimate song Maternal Foundry). Nice fat bass sound too...

Gonna check this too!

From Seven Sister's frontman Kyle McNeill. There were a couple of preview tracks a few weeks ago, the whole thing is out now. A little more 70s prog than the main band (definitely hear hints of Kansas in there), but still plenty of 80s metal too - just wrapped in a more vintage package. Liking it after one listen (Dawn of Mind is pretty awesome!)

I LOVED this!

I love classic Loudness. Supposedly they are touring the states next year and only playing their earlier stuff. I'm not exactly sure what that means as I heard this from someone who knows their management. We shall see.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4588 on: August 31, 2022, 12:47:35 AM »
Luke!!!  :metal

Sadus- out for blood.

Sadist- Hyaena.

Sadus was pretty good. They remind me of that Testament style of more aggressive thrash, which is great as they are easily my favourite thrash band following 3 out of the big 4. Plus Steve DiGeorgio on bass  :metal

Onto Sadist now and so far great bass lines  :metal

Edit: So it turns out I have listened to Sadist before, with the album Above the Light. I don't remember anything about it so it clearly didn't have any impact. Hyaena was definitely more memorable and I'll spin it again for sure. Who is the bassist on this record?

Next up on Twosuitsluke's death metal week...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:45:17 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4589 on: August 31, 2022, 12:54:39 AM »

I really love this e.p. and highly recommend it!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4590 on: August 31, 2022, 06:27:49 AM »
Yasmin Williams - Unwind
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #4591 on: August 31, 2022, 06:31:27 AM »

Edit: So it turns out I have listened to Sadist before, with the album Above the Light. I don't remember anything about it so it clearly didn't have any impact. Hyaena was definitely more memorable and I'll spin it again for sure. Who is the bassist on this record?

Luke - Above the Light is their debut (from 1993!). One thing that made them "unusual" from the start was that Tommy (the guitar player and - I believe - main songwriter) played keyboards live too, along with the guitar. A bit gimmicky, maybe, but hey, he was doing it  :biggrin:

They were already quite forward-thinking back then, but to me their best is the follow-up, Tribe (1995). Death-style (the band) death metal, with plenty of synths and great melodies. The instrumental From Bellatrix to Betelgeuse is totally driven by the keys!

I kinda lost track of them, but the last couple of recent ones I heard sounded quite good (they have one out this year - Firescorched - that has the bass player from Obscura)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:36:53 AM by nick_z »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4592 on: August 31, 2022, 07:15:19 AM »
Floating Points - Elaenia
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4593 on: August 31, 2022, 08:30:16 AM »
Minor Moon - A Whisper, A Shout

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4594 on: August 31, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
Cory Hanson - The Unborn Capitalist From Limbo

Online nick_z

« Reply #4595 on: August 31, 2022, 10:32:29 AM »

Species - To Find Deliverance

Cool full-length debut for this Polish trio, in the vein of that late 80s-early 90s, technical-but-not-too-technical thrash.

I can hear some Coroner in there (perhaps some mid-career Voivod too). The riffage is super-tasty. Vocals are bit on the harsh side, but not too much, and the production, while relatively unpolished, does its job. Very good performances all around, and the 11-minute (!) closer, Ex Machina, is surprisingly engaging (lots of cool, melodic instrumental stuff in the second half of the song). There's room for improvement in the songwriting, I think, but I've enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:52:24 AM by nick_z »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4596 on: August 31, 2022, 11:35:29 AM »
Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4597 on: August 31, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »

Luke - Above the Light is their debut (from 1993!). One thing that made them "unusual" from the start was that Tommy (the guitar player and - I believe - main songwriter) played keyboards live too, along with the guitar. A bit gimmicky, maybe, but hey, he was doing it  :biggrin:

They were already quite forward-thinking back then, but to me their best is the follow-up, Tribe (1995). Death-style (the band) death metal, with plenty of synths and great melodies. The instrumental From Bellatrix to Betelgeuse is totally driven by the keys!

I kinda lost track of them, but the last couple of recent ones I heard sounded quite good (they have one out this year - Firescorched - that has the bass player from Obscura)

Nice one dude. I'm definitely into the old school death metal with synths. I guess those few years in the early 90s were golden for that.

Species - To Find Deliverance

Cool full-length debut for this Polish trio, in the vein of that late 80s-early 90s, technical-but-not-too-technical thrash.

I can hear some Coroner in there (perhaps some mid-career Voivod too). The riffage is super-tasty. Vocals are bit on the harsh side, but not too much, and the production, while relatively unpolished, does its job. Very good performances all around, and the 11-minute (!) closer, Ex Machina, is surprisingly engaging (lots of cool, melodic instrumental stuff in the second half of the song). There's room for improvement in the songwriting, I think, but I've enjoyed it.

This sounds interesting enough to dive into. It's queued up for later  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4598 on: August 31, 2022, 02:10:14 PM »
Sam Bush - Late As Usual

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #4599 on: August 31, 2022, 02:19:11 PM »
This evenings listening...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4600 on: August 31, 2022, 02:20:07 PM »
new dreadnought is not disappointing, as i didn't have high expectations, but it was underwhelming anyways. idk the more they polish off their metal edges the less interesting they get

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4601 on: August 31, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »
black midi - Schlagenheim

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4602 on: August 31, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »

Awesome tunes there! Just listened to Species and its going into my rotation. The ST is just a full on forever classic man. There's a band called CONTRARIAN that are very similar to Atheist and Cynic. Check that out if you can.  :metal

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4603 on: August 31, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4604 on: August 31, 2022, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4605 on: August 31, 2022, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4606 on: September 01, 2022, 05:58:06 AM »
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4607 on: September 01, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
Michael Camilo - What's Up?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4608 on: September 01, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »
Yasmin Williams - Urban Driftwood

Online nick_z

« Reply #4609 on: September 01, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »

Very enjoyable mix of classic, early-Sabbath doom and NWOBHM. More so than the cover suggests  ;) Nothing here reinvents the wheel, but it sounds great and the songs are very tightly written. Listened to this several times over the last few days.

Favorite tracks: Return to Salem's Gate, Early Moods (doom-y Iron Maiden!) and Curse the Light (a little heavier than the rest...and THAT mid-song riff with the cowbell!)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4610 on: September 01, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »
Minor Moon - An Opening

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4611 on: September 01, 2022, 02:25:39 PM »
Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4612 on: September 01, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »
Faye Webster - Run And Tell

Online nick_z

« Reply #4613 on: September 01, 2022, 06:34:38 PM »

new dreadnought is not disappointing, as i didn't have high expectations, but it was underwhelming anyways. idk the more they polish off their metal edges the less interesting they get

Ok, so I ignored the existence of this band until I read these posts.

Listening to a couple of songs from the album they just released...they sound a bit weird and all over the place, but I'm intrigued. Are there other albums I should check out/start from?

Online nick_z

« Reply #4614 on: September 01, 2022, 06:39:23 PM »
Awesome tunes there! Just listened to Species and its going into my rotation. The ST is just a full on forever classic man. There's a band called CONTRARIAN that are very similar to Atheist and Cynic. Check that out if you can.  :metal

I'll check out Contrarian...speaking of that Atheist/Cynic sound...do you guys know the Australian band Stargazer? This is their album from last year

Not available on streaming platforms, as far as I know...but available on their Bandcamp page. Quite interesting. The bass on this thing is AWESOME. Fretless, not just technical for the sake of being technical, it's the star of the show.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4615 on: September 01, 2022, 07:02:53 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4616 on: September 01, 2022, 07:03:38 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4617 on: September 01, 2022, 07:04:59 PM »
2 of my Top 3 albums in that update, Bluefish.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4618 on: September 01, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »

I'll check out Contrarian...speaking of that Atheist/Cynic sound...do you guys know the Australian band Stargazer? This is their album from last year

Not available on streaming platforms, as far as I know...but available on their Bandcamp page. Quite interesting. The bass on this thing is AWESOME. Fretless, not just technical for the sake of being technical, it's the star of the show.

I'm all over this! Thanks! Contrarian isn't as extreme as Atheist and Cynic but definitely hear the influence in parts.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4619 on: September 01, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
I’m on an old school thrash kick. Just rebought Game Over by Nuclear Assault. I really wish these guys would have stayed together. In their prime, they were one of the greatest thrash metal bands ever. The first three albums and The Plague EP are just solid gold perfection. Then the wheels started to fall off with Out of Order, and completely fell off with Something Wicked.

I did just get their reunion EP “Pounder” in the mail today and I haven’t even listened to it yet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude