Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188088 times)

Offline Deathless

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3990 on: July 08, 2022, 07:09:12 AM »
Marillion - Distant Lights (Leicester)
Journey - Freedom
Doctor Butcher - S/T
Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger

First time listening to NMB and I enjoyed that album for the most part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3991 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:01 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3992 on: July 08, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »
The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3993 on: July 08, 2022, 08:45:52 AM »
I haven't heard tremontis solo work but I'd argue that the first three creed albums are better than anything alter bridge has done aside from their debut. I think alter bridges work has gotten progressively worse with every release.

Fascinating, you don't like tracks like "Cry of Achilles", "Bleed It Dry", "Isolation", or "Blackbird"? 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3994 on: July 08, 2022, 08:48:49 AM »
Allegation – Apoptosis
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3995 on: July 08, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Home Free - Land of the Free

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3996 on: July 08, 2022, 10:03:16 AM »
Saor – Origins
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3997 on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
American Aquarium - Wolves

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3998 on: July 08, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies

Fishing for fishies
Don't make them feel happy
Or me neither
I feel so sorry for fishies

:heart :heart :heart

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3999 on: July 08, 2022, 01:18:13 PM »
I haven't heard tremontis solo work but I'd argue that the first three creed albums are better than anything alter bridge has done aside from their debut. I think alter bridges work has gotten progressively worse with every release.

Fascinating, you don't like tracks like "Cry of Achilles", "Bleed It Dry", "Isolation", or "Blackbird"? 

I like Blackbird but the other two are forgettable. I think that's my problem with Alter Bridge, it's not bad but it's also not very memorable to my ears.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4000 on: July 08, 2022, 02:33:06 PM »

Carpenter Brut - Leather Terror

Synthwave and beyond...not sure how this was received by people "in the know", but I found it to be thoroughly entertaining. Plenty of cool guest spots too (Gunship, Ulver, Greg Puciato, Sylvaine, Tribulation).

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4001 on: July 08, 2022, 02:47:42 PM »

I like Blackbird but the other two are forgettable. I think that's my problem with Alter Bridge, it's not bad but it's also not very memorable to my ears.
I'm with you Reap. Alter Bridge is fine, and Blackbird is easily my favourite song of theirs but I find then to be forgettable. I'd take Creed over Alter Bridge any day.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4002 on: July 08, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »
Saor – Origins

Really enjoyed this one!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4003 on: July 08, 2022, 03:48:20 PM »

Synthwave and beyond...not sure how this was received by people "in the know", but I found it to be thoroughly entertaining. Plenty of cool guest spots too (Gunship, Ulver, Greg Puciato, Sylvaine, Tribulation).

I don't know what "in the know" means but I thought this was a lot weaker than Trilogy and Leather Teeth. I wasn't that into Leather Teeth at first but it really grew on me, a really nice short but sweet record. This new one is a lot more metal-focused and despite that always being an influence for him (Roller Mobster, for example) it seems to work a lot better for him when it's not so surface-level.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4004 on: July 08, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »

I'm not sure whether I'm surprised that this band seems to be pretty obscure.  I'm rarely ahead of the hype, so I don't know if I've somehow caught them before most people, or if they're doomed to perpetual obscurity.  But it's really intoxicating music, "The Fact In Fiction" and "Coda" are splendid pieces especially. 

I'm with you Reap. Alter Bridge is fine, and Blackbird is easily my favourite song of theirs but I find then to be forgettable. I'd take Creed over Alter Bridge any day.

This is definitely not an opinion I hear too often.  Stapp has just gotten too hard to listen to for me for long since he's often the poster boy for the excesses of yarling.  Tremonti was always a big fan of metal, but he tended to hide those influences a lot more in Creed.  So with the simpler guitar work and without Myles and Mark's voice to latch onto, what appeals to you more about Creed?  I've had many AB songs stuck in my head, so I can't relate to them being forgettable. 

I don't know what "in the know" means but I thought this was a lot weaker than Trilogy and Leather Teeth. I wasn't that into Leather Teeth at first but it really grew on me, a really nice short but sweet record. This new one is a lot more metal-focused and despite that always being an influence for him (Roller Mobster, for example) it seems to work a lot better for him when it's not so surface-level.

I don't know if I'm "in the know" either, but synthwave is definitely one of my more heavily listened to styles in the past half decade or more now.  I've always like Carpenter Brut, but never quite as much as most other people seem to who are really into it.  Maybe I haven't given them enough plays yet, but this album is actually my favorite so far.  "Stabat Mater" and "Paradisi Gloria" are my favorite cuts at this point.  Having Sylvaine definitely helps. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:04:36 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4005 on: July 08, 2022, 05:18:21 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #4006 on: July 08, 2022, 05:19:36 PM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:39:32 PM by Bluefish »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4007 on: July 08, 2022, 05:31:08 PM »
"Stabat Mater" and "Paradisi Gloria" are my favorite cuts at this point.  Having Sylvaine definitely helps.

Sure, those songs do have a cool gothic atmosphere to them. Though if you want gothic synthwave, Perturbator's last album was even better for that imo.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4008 on: July 08, 2022, 05:38:12 PM »
Yeah, that album had as much if not more darkwave and gothic rock on it as darksynth.  For people not familiar with them that sounds like splitting hairs, but despite the similarities in name and broad descriptions they're quite distinct.  I like the more overtly electronic stuff on older albums like "God Complex", "Venger", "Future Club", "Sentient", or even "Messalina, Messalina" or "The Other Place" on the latest album.  But I guess that's kind of a newer thing some bands are doing now, since both derive from the 80s.  CHVRCHES had "How Not To Drown" with Robert Smith on their album last year, for example, which is one of their least electronic songs yet, albeit still great. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:44:44 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #4009 on: July 08, 2022, 06:50:39 PM »
Graham Bonnet Band - Day Out in Nowhere
Diamond Head - Borrowed Time
Seventh Wonder - The Testament

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4010 on: July 08, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »

I don't know if I'm "in the know" either, but synthwave is definitely one of my more heavily listened to styles in the past half decade or more now.  I've always like Carpenter Brut, but never quite as much as most other people seem to who are really into it.  Maybe I haven't given them enough plays yet, but this album is actually my favorite so far.  "Stabat Mater" and "Paradisi Gloria" are my favorite cuts at this point.  Having Sylvaine definitely helps. 

Sorry - I just meant I haven't listened to a whole lot of synthwave, so I am coming at it with limited background. Not that you necessarily need it to appreciate an album, I get it  :) It was just a way to invite more comments and maybe have further recommendations.

I love The Midnight and Perturbator, and I definitely enjoyed Gunship's self-titled and Timecop 1983's Night Drive...

I haven't checked out the Trilogy collection from Carpenter Brut. As I said, Leather Terror was a ton of fun to me, with its faux-horror movie concept...I'll be sure to go back and check out the rest.

And yes, Perturbator is moving into all sorts of interesting directions...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4011 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:04 PM »
Some other synthwave/darksynth albums I'd recommend:

Dance With the Dead - Out of Body
Dead Astronauts - Constellations
Deadlife - God in the Machine
FM-84 - Atlas
GosT - Non Paradisi
Lazerhawk - Dreamrider
LukHash - We Are Stardust
Mega Drive - Seas of Infinity
NINA - Sleepwalking
Scandroid - s/t
Signal Void - This Liminal Reality
Turboslash - Speed
VHS Glitch - Land With No Future
Volkor X - This Is Our Planet Now
ZETA - s/t

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4012 on: July 08, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »
I haven't checked out the Trilogy collection from Carpenter Brut. As I said, Leather Terror was a ton of fun to me, with its faux-horror movie concept...I'll be sure to go back and check out the rest.

Definitely check out Trilogy - it's fantastic. And Leather Teeth has the same concept as Leather Terror to my knowledge, so you should enjoy that one too.

I'd add Dan Terminus - The Wrath Of Code to Litho's list. And the IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWHATIMEAN EP, though it's not really synthwave except for the last song.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4013 on: July 08, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »

Planning for Burial - Below the House

A friend of mine said I'd love this since I'm a big fan of Have a Nice Life. Well this is a lot closer to doom metal actually (the tags say "doomgaze" lol), and it's kinda cool. Might revisit it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4014 on: July 09, 2022, 10:16:45 AM »
Motley Crue- Too Fast for Love

Queensryche- The Warning

Van Halen- Fair Warning

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4015 on: July 09, 2022, 10:32:43 AM »

Even though Ozzy re-recorded all of his vocals in the studio I look at this as a half live kick ass version of Sabbath classics. I listened to bootlegs of both shows they did at The Ritz and he sounded awful unfortunately. The band kicks ass, very cool hearing Brad Gillis crushing these tunes!  :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #4016 on: July 09, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
(the tags say "doomgaze" lol)

That's a tag I've been noticing increasingly in recent times.  The early bands tended to be shoegaze with some doom metal and drone elements, but lately there has been another wave of doom metal with strong shoegaze, ethereal wave, and dream pop influences, which has been what has drawn me in. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4017 on: July 09, 2022, 03:30:07 PM »
Some other synthwave/darksynth albums I'd recommend:

Dance With the Dead - Out of Body
Dead Astronauts - Constellations
Deadlife - God in the Machine
FM-84 - Atlas
GosT - Non Paradisi
Lazerhawk - Dreamrider
LukHash - We Are Stardust
Mega Drive - Seas of Infinity
NINA - Sleepwalking
Scandroid - s/t
Signal Void - This Liminal Reality
Turboslash - Speed
VHS Glitch - Land With No Future
Volkor X - This Is Our Planet Now
ZETA - s/t

Definitely check out Trilogy - it's fantastic. And Leather Teeth has the same concept as Leather Terror to my knowledge, so you should enjoy that one too.

I'd add Dan Terminus - The Wrath Of Code to Litho's list. And the IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWHATIMEAN EP, though it's not really synthwave except for the last song.

Thank you both for the recs  :tup

I think I've come across some stuff from Dan Terminus, Dance with the Dead and VHS Glitch. These are all noted, and I'll definitely explore some more...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4018 on: July 09, 2022, 03:38:48 PM »

A total classic!!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4019 on: July 09, 2022, 04:00:02 PM »
Boston- Third Stage

Eagles- Hotel California

Whitesnake- s/t

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #4020 on: July 09, 2022, 04:18:14 PM »
A frail becoming- daylight dies
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline nick_z

« Reply #4021 on: July 09, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »

I don't have this particular album but, in reference to your request in the Insomnium thread, it looks like you found yourself a good band to satisfy your craving for melancholic music!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4022 on: July 09, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »

I don't have this particular album but, in reference to your request in the Insomnium thread, it looks like you found yourself a good band to satisfy your craving for melancholic music!

For some reason I have Dismantling Devotion Saved in my Spotify.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #4023 on: July 09, 2022, 05:22:13 PM »

Haha, true. Although earlier I was also listening to your suggestions;) right now none of those band are doing the « Insomnium effect » on me as well as them but there is definitely some potential as this kind of music rarely works on the first few listen. Also, I feel like the guitar solos on the Daylight dies album are impressive. You should check that band man.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #4024 on: July 09, 2022, 05:23:16 PM »

For some reason I have Dismantling Devotion Saved in my Spotify.

Haven’t listened to this one yet!