Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188430 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3710 on: June 20, 2022, 01:51:50 AM »

Yep, this is good, really good. After two listens this could be their best album yet. This reaffirms my belief that progressive black metal is so much better with a good dollop of saxophone.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3711 on: June 20, 2022, 06:25:00 AM »
Bartees Strange - Farm to Table
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Trav86

« Reply #3712 on: June 20, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »

I love this album, but I don’t listen very often. It’s so well written and performed, but my God is it heartbreaking. I can’t listen to the title track without tearing up. This reminds me of Marillion’s Brave, it’s a once a year listen, and when it hits…it hits hard.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3713 on: June 20, 2022, 07:36:21 AM »

Yep, this is good, really good. After two listens this could be their best album yet. This reaffirms my belief that progressive black metal is so much better with a good dollop of saxophone.
If I didn't know what this was, I would've thought it's indie pop album :lol still have to check it, maybe they changed dunno
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3714 on: June 20, 2022, 07:41:02 AM »

There's no way in hell it's better than Futility Report, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. Maybe this and their last album will appeal to the black metal crowd more since the metal passages are more ferocious and less melodic, but that's what I liked about Futility Report. Had almost a progressive metal quality to it with some of the riffs, hooks, and song structures.

The sax was way better on that album too, as it was usually tasked with handling the core melodic hooks of a song like on the title track. On here, it feels like the saxophone does nothing but solo, and the soloing just isn't very great, imo. Sounds completely improvised most of the time and not in a good way. Though at least on this album they have the sense to put saxophone in the metal passages instead of relegating it to the quiet Bohren And Der Club Of Gore-core sections like on the last one.

I dunno, at this point I feel like Futility Report was a fluke. Looking at the line-up over half the band left after it, which might be one explanation for that - it's basically a different band now. Ah well. This album is a slight improvement over the last one, I'll give it that.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3715 on: June 20, 2022, 09:20:12 AM »
Horse Jumper of Love - Natural Part
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3716 on: June 20, 2022, 11:06:25 AM »

There's no way in hell it's better than Futility Report, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. Maybe this and their last album will appeal to the black metal crowd more since the metal passages are more ferocious and less melodic, but that's what I liked about Futility Report. Had almost a progressive metal quality to it with some of the riffs, hooks, and song structures.

The sax was way better on that album too, as it was usually tasked with handling the core melodic hooks of a song like on the title track. On here, it feels like the saxophone does nothing but solo, and the soloing just isn't very great, imo. Sounds completely improvised most of the time and not in a good way. Though at least on this album they have the sense to put saxophone in the metal passages instead of relegating it to the quiet Bohren And Der Club Of Gore-core sections like on the last one.

I dunno, at this point I feel like Futility Report was a fluke. Looking at the line-up over half the band left after it, which might be one explanation for that - it's basically a different band now. Ah well. This album is a slight improvement over the last one, I'll give it that.

Gonna listen to these two back to back. Although you've articulated your thoughts on the two albums I can't help but think you are wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3717 on: June 20, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »
totally with buddy on this one, the schism between futility report and their last two is so massive they have basically nothing in common except that a sax exists in the music, i feel like this one's better than love exchange failure but it's nowhere close to what i wanted from the futility report band

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3718 on: June 20, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
Alanis Morissette - the storm before the calm

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3719 on: June 20, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »
totally with buddy on this one, the schism between futility report and their last two is so massive they have basically nothing in common except that a sax exists in the music, i feel like this one's better than love exchange failure but it's nowhere close to what i wanted from the futility report band

I mean it's OK, you can both be wrong.

I definitely think this is better than their last, no question. In all honesty I don't hear the huge difference between Futility Report and False Light that you guys do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3720 on: June 20, 2022, 12:35:44 PM »
Alanis Morissette - the storm before the calm
Never mind with this.  It's an album of meditative music.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but it's got it's time and place.  Not what I want right now.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3721 on: June 20, 2022, 01:43:56 PM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches of Brunswick East

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3722 on: June 20, 2022, 01:59:58 PM »
The first Ace Frehley solo album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3723 on: June 20, 2022, 02:06:12 PM »

It's actually quite progressive in parts. Great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3724 on: June 20, 2022, 02:22:55 PM »

It's actually quite progressive in parts. Great album.

His is my fave of the 4. I love Pauls , Genes has some good songs and Peters never connected with me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3725 on: June 20, 2022, 02:28:34 PM »
Yeah, it's all about Ace and Paul. So glad I saw Paul's '89 solo tour where he played a bunch of those songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: June 21, 2022, 12:56:35 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity

I'm curious about this band, so I'm checking them out. My God, they have a vast catalogue already.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3727 on: June 21, 2022, 01:14:23 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity

I'm curious about this band, so I'm checking them out. My God, they have a vast catalogue already.

Buckle up dude!

I'd personally say Nonagon Infinity is the perfect place to start.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:27:21 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3728 on: June 21, 2022, 01:29:14 AM »
Serious big up to LithoJazzoSphere for recommending these guys

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3729 on: June 21, 2022, 06:19:52 AM »
Efterklang - Plexiglass (EP)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3730 on: June 21, 2022, 06:57:02 AM »
Bartees Strange - Live Forever

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3731 on: June 21, 2022, 07:35:08 AM »

I love this album, but I don’t listen very often. It’s so well written and performed, but my God is it heartbreaking. I can’t listen to the title track without tearing up. This reminds me of Marillion’s Brave, it’s a once a year listen, and when it hits…it hits hard.

For part of my bed time music, I listen to Drive Home and the title track.  Great album.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3732 on: June 21, 2022, 11:54:12 AM »
Shovels & Rope - By Blood

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3733 on: June 21, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
Shovels & Rope - Busted Jukebox Volume 3

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3734 on: June 21, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »
Mary Halvorson - Crackleknob

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3735 on: June 21, 2022, 02:23:06 PM »
Today at work...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3736 on: June 21, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »
I'm going to sit with The X Factor and Virtual XI for a while because honestly I didn't give them a fair chance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3737 on: June 21, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »
I'm going to sit with The X Factor and Virtual XI for a while because honestly I didn't give them a fair chance.

They are both loaded with great songs. I think they both have issues, especially in the production and arrangements, but if you go in with an open mind, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. I had more Blaze songs than Dianno songs in my Top 75 List.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3738 on: June 21, 2022, 02:39:10 PM »
Michael Camilo - Michael Camilo

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3739 on: June 21, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »
Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger
Last few days,

Toto - 4

Danger Danger - Screw It

Vinnie Vincent - Invasion

Britny Fox - Boys In Heat

KISS - Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Rock n Roll Over, Double Platinum, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Dynasty, Unmasked

Ace Frehley - Frehley’s Comet, Spaceman

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3740 on: June 21, 2022, 02:55:25 PM »
Last few days,

Toto - 4

Danger Danger - Screw It

KISS - Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Rock n Roll Over, Double Platinum, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Dynasty, Unmasked

"Lowdz I wanna hear it Lowdz!!!!!  :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3741 on: June 21, 2022, 03:01:09 PM »
Last few days,

Toto - 4

Danger Danger - Screw It

I’ve to,d this story before, but on Alive 2, towards the end of Shout It Out Loud, Paul Stanley shouts “turn it up Paul Lowder”! It was fate 😁. And you’ll never unhear it now!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3742 on: June 21, 2022, 03:02:19 PM »
It's nice to have your name immortalized in song. ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3743 on: June 21, 2022, 03:17:20 PM »
Last few days,

Toto - 4

Danger Danger - Screw It

I’ve to,d this story before, but on Alive 2, towards the end of Shout It Out Loud, Paul Stanley shouts “turn it up Paul Lowder”! It was fate 😁. And you’ll never unhear it now!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3744 on: June 21, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »

I really want to hear the latest White Ward soon, but I haven't been as in the mood to listen to brand new albums lately, and I'm drowning in other musical projects I'm trying to get up to speed.  Love Exchange Failure was my favorite of theirs so far, the nocturnal city vibe with blackgaze worked so well, and I love it when saxophone is used more than just for an odd wacky track every once in awhile. 

I need to listen to it again sometime.  "Luminol" was always the standout track to me, it's quite a journey. 

Serious big up to LithoJazzoSphere for recommending these guys

:tup