Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188438 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3675 on: June 17, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »
Twisted Sister- Under the Blade

Kiss- Love Gun

AC/DC- Back in Black

Van Halen- Fair Warning

That's a great batch right there!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3676 on: June 17, 2022, 04:17:52 PM »
Fair Warning is an album I never get sick of.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3677 on: June 17, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »

Not sure what the vibe on these guys are here but they kick ass! They totally crush live and Michael Sweet just gets better every tour.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3678 on: June 17, 2022, 04:30:19 PM »
That's one of the best comeback albums ever

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3679 on: June 17, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »

Yes, Excellent! Im not a big fan of Reborn or Murder By Numbers but since No More Hell To Pay its been all great.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3680 on: June 17, 2022, 04:38:20 PM »
With Damian Wilson joining Arena and the announcement of their new album, I decided to finally dig into their catalog. Picked up all the Rob Sowden and Paul Manzi stuff, including the deluxe box of the Re-Visited Live release with Paul and the band performing The Visitor in its entirety.

Liking what I am hearing so far. Little heavier than I was expecting here and there.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3681 on: June 17, 2022, 04:40:23 PM »

Yes, Excellent! Im not a big fan of Reborn or Murder By Numbers but since No More Hell To Pay its been all great.

Murder by Pride

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3682 on: June 17, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3683 on: June 17, 2022, 05:32:11 PM »

Murder by Pride

Duh! Yeah my bad.  :blush

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: June 17, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »

Murder by Pride

Duh! Yeah my bad.  :blush

Glaster, Stryper rocks!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3685 on: June 17, 2022, 06:11:57 PM »

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #3686 on: June 17, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
I have been expanding my musical tastes over the past while. Currently have some Modest Mouse albums playing in my car.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3687 on: June 17, 2022, 11:26:46 PM »
I have been expanding my musical tastes over the past while. Currently have some Modest Mouse albums playing in my car.

The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon & Antarctica are great albums. :)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3688 on: June 18, 2022, 03:25:48 AM »
Saturday morning's looking good...

The new Dir en Grey is definitely hitting just right for me. As with any band that sings in a language I don't understand, I can enjoy it but always wonder how much MORE I'd connect if I understood what the hell they were on about.

Oh, and more bands need to take note of Pink Floyd, and write songs about breakfast.

Online Trav86

« Reply #3689 on: June 18, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3690 on: June 18, 2022, 04:01:44 PM »

This is quite enjoyable.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 06:50:14 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3691 on: June 18, 2022, 04:48:23 PM »
The Doors- Best of 😉😉😉😉

Online Trav86

« Reply #3692 on: June 18, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3693 on: June 18, 2022, 08:39:40 PM »

This is quite enjoyable.

Agreed. I’ve been enjoying it too. Instrumentally, it’s great. The vocals take a little getting used to  ;)

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3694 on: June 18, 2022, 08:42:21 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3695 on: June 18, 2022, 10:05:37 PM »

This album gets better every time I listen to it.  It used to be that when I'd heard it it would just make me want to listen to Aghora, but now I've been increasingly digging listening to it on its own, to hear the Cynic core in a lighter, but still proggy, spacey, atmospheric and explorative mode.  Aruna would go on to make some other cool tracks in electronic subgenres, even more different than this is from Cynic. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3696 on: June 19, 2022, 12:22:25 AM »

Man, that album takes me immediately back to late 2005. A specific point in my life when I listened to this album a lot. I've barely revisited it since then though. The only song I'll spin every now and then, is Fuck You.

This album gets better every time I listen to it.  It used to be that when I'd heard it it would just make me want to listen to Aghora, but now I've been increasingly digging listening to it on its own, to hear the Cynic core in a lighter, but still proggy, spacey, atmospheric and explorative mode.  Aruna would go on to make some other cool tracks in electronic subgenres, even more different than this is from Cynic. 

I've only listened to The Portal Tapes once, but as a fairly big Cynic fan I should remedy that. Even more intriguing is your mention of the band Aghora. Never heard of them but definitely going to check them out now  :tup

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3697 on: June 19, 2022, 04:11:34 AM »
Oh wow, they are definitely must hear listening then.  Their first album has both Seans as the rhythm section, and Gobel guests on a track.  The guitarist/primary songwriter, Santiago Dobles, is kind of like Masvidal/Gobel on steroids.  More technical, a heavier sound at times (almost Meshuggah-like on some tracks), similar jazz/fusion influences, but also a fair amount of inspiration from Indian classical music.  Santiago toured for Cynic briefly at one point as well (as Gobel's stand-in, I believe). 

Aghora was arguably my favorite band for chunks of the 00s, and still close to the top 10.  The second album, Formless, doesn't have Malone (though Alan Goldstein is a more than capable successor), but it does have Reinert on half the tracks (and Giann Rubio on the other half is quite excellent).  The third album, Entheogenic Frequencies, is quite good as well, but a bit odd.  It was supposed to be a full band album as well (now with Matt Thompson on drums), but they've had issues retaining another vocalist, so they just released it instrumentally, with the possibility of adding vocals later on (which I worry may not happen given the 13 year delay on releasing it to begin with, Santiago has seemed to shift his focus to martial arts more than music at this point). 

The comparison to Portal (besides likewise having Cynic members and lineage) is also due to having softer female vocals driving the first two albums.  But in contrast to Portal, where they blend with the music, with Aghora it's more of a juxtaposition, since the music is often even more intense than Cynic, and beefier, with downtuned 7-strings.  That dynamic of calm, sometimes ethereal vocals paired with instrumental insanity can be polarizing for some, but I find it quite intoxicating and unique. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 05:33:53 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3698 on: June 19, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »
Kula Shaker - Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3699 on: June 19, 2022, 09:21:22 AM »
Ad Infinitum – Chapter I - Monarchy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3700 on: June 19, 2022, 10:23:09 AM »
Oh wow, they are definitely must hear listening then.  Their first album has both Seans as the rhythm section, and Gobel guests on a track.  The guitarist/primary songwriter, Santiago Dobles, is kind of like Masvidal/Gobel on steroids.  More technical, a heavier sound at times (almost Meshuggah-like on some tracks), similar jazz/fusion influences, but also a fair amount of inspiration from Indian classical music.  Santiago toured for Cynic briefly at one point as well (as Gobel's stand-in, I believe). 

Aghora was arguably my favorite band for chunks of the 00s, and still close to the top 10.  The second album, Formless, doesn't have Malone (though Alan Goldstein is a more than capable successor), but it does have Reinert on half the tracks (and Giann Rubio on the other half is quite excellent).  The third album, Entheogenic Frequencies, is quite good as well, but a bit odd.  It was supposed to be a full band album as well (now with Matt Thompson on drums), but they've had issues retaining another vocalist, so they just released it instrumentally, with the possibility of adding vocals later on (which I worry may not happen given the 13 year delay on releasing it to begin with, Santiago has seemed to shift his focus to martial arts more than music at this point). 

The comparison to Portal (besides likewise having Cynic members and lineage) is also due to having softer female vocals driving the first two albums.  But in contrast to Portal, where they blend with the music, with Aghora it's more of a juxtaposition, since the music is often even more intense than Cynic, and beefier, with downtuned 7-strings.  That dynamic of calm, sometimes ethereal vocals paired with instrumental insanity can be polarizing for some, but I find it quite intoxicating and unique.

Thanks for all the info. It's really nice to still discover bands, especially those so closely related to bands I already love. It's what keeps me obsessing over music.

I've queued up all their albums, along with some other albums I've been meaning to check out/revisit. Currently playing their debut and this is right up my street.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3701 on: June 19, 2022, 11:23:10 AM »
Michael Romeo- War of the worlds pt.2

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3702 on: June 19, 2022, 03:28:08 PM »

I just listened to this for the first time the other day.  It was okay, but don't see me revisiting it much unfortunately.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3703 on: June 19, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »

I just listened to this for the first time the other day.  It was okay, but don't see me revisiting it much unfortunately.

Since I listened to the first one once since I bought it, I didn't even bother with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3704 on: June 19, 2022, 03:51:02 PM »

Since I listened to the first one once since I bought it, I didn't even bother with this.

It's more of the same.  I don't mind Dino on the mic, but yeah not enough to keep me coming back.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3705 on: June 19, 2022, 04:06:13 PM »
To Wolf and TAC on Michael Romeos new album.

I think its well done but safe. A few songs are strong. Just before the dawn is excellent as well as Parasite (his solo is amazing). Overall I like it but I agree its nothing different than expected. At least James Labrie did something completely different style wise from a DT album. I wish Mike did a less heavy more progressive rock thing. Solo albums should be a departure from what your main band does imo. Ross Jennings solo album is a good example as well.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3706 on: June 19, 2022, 04:09:24 PM »
Safe is a good word for it. 

I haven't even checked the Labrie album.  I might one day.....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3707 on: June 19, 2022, 04:10:12 PM »
I've liked the Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins albums very much. I'm not a big Sym X guy so I'm not really married to anything Romeo does.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3708 on: June 19, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »
I've liked the Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins albums very much. I'm not a big Sym X guy so I'm not really married to anything Romeo does.

Yep, they are killer.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3709 on: June 19, 2022, 08:57:53 PM »
Nicolas Jaar – Space is Only Noise

Again and again and again.
:metal