Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188407 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3605 on: June 14, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
For me, the combo Subterranean/Jester Race is absolutely peak-In Flames. That EP is as close to melodeath perfection as it gets.

It's fantastic ("Stand Ablaze" is a particularly unique song), but it kind of depends on what you're looking for from them.  For me the peak is the special edition of Colony.  They had the balance of aggression and melodicism down on the earlier albums, but that album brought in Svensson, who is a more skilled drummer than Gelotte on TJR, bringing in a harder hitting rhythmic propulsion to the band, and the production became beefier and more crushing, easily Frederik Nordstrom's crowning achievement.  A track like "Man Made God" or "Zombie Inc." is just perfection.  The only whiff was cutting the acoustic outro on the remake of "Behind Space". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3606 on: June 14, 2022, 01:31:01 PM »
Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3607 on: June 14, 2022, 02:09:29 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3608 on: June 14, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3609 on: June 14, 2022, 02:20:37 PM »
Time for a new album methinks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3610 on: June 14, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »

I spoke to Tiago when he moved to NY and they had just completed a new ep. I will give him a buzz.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3611 on: June 14, 2022, 02:33:30 PM »

I spoke to Tiago when he moved to NY and they had just completed a new ep. I will give him a buzz.

Yeah! Make it happen!  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3612 on: June 14, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »

Yeah! Make it happen!  :lol

I'll tell him to write new stuff because you think its time for it.  :lol
Seriously, hes an extremely nice guy and when my father was dying he checked in quite frequently. He can also sing the shit out of a Symphony X song.  :metal
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 08:25:05 PM by Glasser »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3613 on: June 14, 2022, 06:33:34 PM »
Seventh Wonder – The Testament

I didn't love their last album, but this one is growing on me already.

Agreed. The songs are much more memorable.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3614 on: June 14, 2022, 10:38:14 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3615 on: June 15, 2022, 12:27:18 AM »
I'm in a Slayer mood today so I'm going all in and listening to  Soundtrack to the Apocalypse, in it's entirety. That's nearly 5 hours of straight up Slayer greatness.

I will probably take a break somewhere and listen to the new Dir en Grey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3616 on: June 15, 2022, 07:03:36 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3617 on: June 15, 2022, 07:17:52 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3618 on: June 15, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: June 15, 2022, 07:41:40 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3620 on: June 15, 2022, 07:45:34 AM »
Daydream XI - The Circus Of The Tattered And Torn

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3621 on: June 15, 2022, 08:29:41 AM »

My new fave Gizz album. That run of Welcome to an Altered Future, Digital Black, Han-tyumi the Confused Cyborg, Soy Protein Munt Machine, Vomit Coffin and Murder of the Universe! Now that is how you end an album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3622 on: June 15, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »

My new fave Gizz album. That run of Welcome to an Altered Future, Digital Black, Han-tyumi the Confused Cyborg, Soy Protein Munt Machine, Vomit Coffin and Murder of the Universe! Now that is how you end an album.

It is definitely the best album that features a detailed description of the entire universe being destroyed by vomit.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3623 on: June 15, 2022, 09:36:33 AM »

I've wanted to check these guys out for a while (only listened to to Empire of the Dead from 2014). Unfortunately Spotify is missing some of their albums, so I put on their most recent live album. Really good!

Gamma Ray - 30 Years Live Anniversary

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3624 on: June 15, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »

I've mentioned this album on these pages before, but I just happened to go for it today...It's so easy on the ears, from the Count-of-Tuscany-esque beginning of Tempest to the epic three-part title track. Can certainly hear the melodeath influences, but I like how these guys are (I think) trying to develop a sound. Somehow it manages to be melancholic and uplifting at the same time, without sounding contrived. Gorgeous guitar leads too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3625 on: June 15, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
Daydream XI - The Circus Of The Tattered And Torn

Just hit that yesterday!

I've mentioned this album on these pages before, but I just happened to go for it today...It's so easy on the ears, from the Count-of-Tuscany-esque beginning of Tempest to the epic three-part title track. Can certainly hear the melodeath influences, but I like how these guys are (I think) trying to develop a sound. Somehow it manages to be melancholic and uplifting at the same time, without sounding contrived. Gorgeous guitar leads too.

I have this in my Spotify library and it's very nice.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3626 on: June 15, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »
Nicolas Jaar – Space is Only Noise

Again and again and again.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3627 on: June 15, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »
Yoo Doo Right - Nobody Panicked and Everybody Got On

It is definitely the best album that features a detailed description of the entire universe being destroyed by vomit.
:metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3628 on: June 15, 2022, 03:38:01 PM »
Yoo Doo Right - EP 2

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3629 on: June 15, 2022, 06:18:30 PM »
Iron Maiden- The Book of Souls: Live Chapter.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3630 on: June 15, 2022, 06:20:55 PM »
Iron Maiden- Book of Souls, Live Chapter.

In the slew of albums and especially live albums in the Reunion Era, I feel that this one is overlooked.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3631 on: June 15, 2022, 06:22:19 PM »

In the slew of albums and especially live albums in the Reunion Era, I feel that this one is overlooked.

Agreed and I do not know why.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3632 on: June 15, 2022, 07:02:05 PM »

Agreed and I do not know why.

I listened to this one too, today, given the conversation in the Maiden thread...I have to agree, the band is positively on fire here. Real nice live album.

My only negative comment is that Bruce sounds pretty strained in some of the BoS songs (especially Speed of Light and The Great Unknown) which, to be honest, is kinda true for the studio recording too. That's actually one of my issues with that album - the vocal melodies push a little too hard.

But, yes, I enjoyed it a ton. And I agree with Tim - the opening with If Eternity Should Fail is great, and so is Children of the Damned.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3633 on: June 15, 2022, 07:06:31 PM »
I think The Great Unknown really pushes Bruce big time. Of course he recorded the album with a tumor in his throat, no?

I never really appreciated The Great Unknown until I saw it live, and then my opinion completely changed.

My only beef is Death Or Glory, which I don't care for.

The opening and closing to TBOS is so epic with Janick and Steve. We were right in front of them about 19 rows back. Fucking beautiful moment.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: June 15, 2022, 07:27:54 PM »
Blasphemy!  You're forgetting In Your Multitude (their 3rd album) which is my overall favourite  ;D

Not forgetting...

Well you did say Parallel Minds and Flow were their 2nd and 3rd albums , so you could forgive me for thinking you forgot it seeing it's their 3rd album  :P  ;D

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Yep, you are right...and here I am, thinking I was being clever  :biggrin:

Incidentally - given you are a fan - what did you think of their last album?

I should thank you for asking me this.  The last 3 years have been a big blur and I have barely listened to a single album in that time after being a daily listener for almost as long as I've been alive.  I never really got around to giving their new stuff a proper listen and I did last night.

When you compare their recent output to other bands that have tried to recapture past glories after a very long break I think they've done amazingly well.

If I put on my ratings hat I would give the EP around 80-85% ...............very good without being great.

But the studio album State of Deception is fantastic for an old Conception fan (if you can take the slightly lighter sound overall).........plenty of variety/complexity but also the shorter bangers like No Rewind which is killer......with further listening it may well rate as their most consistent album.  If you include Monument In Time (from the deluxe version which I may well get) then I'd be rating it around 90%.   It's a shame that the first real song on the album (Of Raven and Pigs) is by far the worst track and something I would skip.  I haven't paid any attention to the lyrics or concept (if there is one) but perhaps that track serves a purpose in that regard.  But yeah - dump that track and replace it with Monument In Time and I'd give the album 92%.  :metal   So nice to hear an album these days with relatively clear sonics too rather than a muddy wall of bass/guitar/keys that are almost indistinguishable

Their art is always killer too

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:32:43 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3635 on: June 15, 2022, 08:01:58 PM »
Dammit Brent. The page keeps refreshing with new posts by you, except you keep amending the same damn post. :lol

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3636 on: June 15, 2022, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3637 on: June 15, 2022, 08:35:05 PM »
Dammit Brent. The page keeps refreshing with new posts by you, except you keep amending the same damn post. :lol

Sorry about that- here's another new post for me to amend  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3638 on: June 16, 2022, 10:41:46 AM »
Steven Wilson/PP inspired today. Working through entire discographies vs cherry-picking has been a fun treat.

Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life
Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3639 on: June 16, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
Ethel Cain - Inbred