Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188178 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3535 on: June 09, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3536 on: June 09, 2022, 02:53:45 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3537 on: June 09, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »

Never heard of Conception, worth checking out?

Many times yes!! The two albums Grappler posted (their second and third) might be my favorites, but it's all good stuff. Their comeback after a long hiatus is very good too (an EP in 2018 and an album in 2020). They were sort of lumped into that "prog-metal" group of bands following DT footsteps in the mid-90s, but they were always quite different.  Maybe "elegant" power-prog is how I'd describe them, with Roy Khan's voice obviously standing out, but also with Tore Ostby coming up with all sorts of cool riffs and solos on guitar (he would go on to form Ark). Great band, imo.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3538 on: June 09, 2022, 07:13:39 PM »
On my commute today...

I believe the Turbulence album was fairly well received here...really enjoyable Prog-metal album, nothing terribly new, but excellent songs and melodies.

The Beastmilk album is SO cool - Sisters of Mercy, post-punk and what-have-you...great songs you can almost dance to  ;D

I know there is at least one big Autumn fan in the forum...this is a very good one...

And Unto Other's latest is holding up great...hadn't listened to it in a while after binging on it last year. Still super-tasty gothic rock/metal...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3539 on: June 09, 2022, 07:15:50 PM »
I don't remember the Turbulence. Will check out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3540 on: June 09, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »
I don't remember the Turbulence. Will check out.

They were a DT cover band. The new album is great prog metal.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3541 on: June 09, 2022, 10:08:32 PM »
Slayer- Show No Mercy.
Venom- At War With Satan.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3542 on: June 09, 2022, 10:23:13 PM »

Many times yes!! The two albums Grappler posted (their second and third) might be my favorites,

Blasphemy!  You're forgetting In Your Multitude (their 3rd album) which is my overall favourite  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3543 on: June 09, 2022, 10:41:14 PM »

:tup

Very enjoyable on first listen but I doubt I’ll end up liking it as much as All Mirrors which is one of my favorite albums of 2019.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3544 on: June 10, 2022, 06:04:49 AM »
Elvis Costello & Rusty - The Resurrection of Rust
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3545 on: June 10, 2022, 06:17:46 AM »
Blasphemy!  You're forgetting In Your Multitude (their 3rd album) which is my overall favourite  ;D

Not forgetting...

The two albums Grappler posted (their second and third) might be my favorites, but it's all good stuff.

...just not mentioning it by name   :biggrin:

Parallel Minds, In Your Multitude and Flow are all great, really. Flow was certainly a bit different, but I like how it sounds "cold" (production-wise) and emotional at the same time.

I hope they keep going. Not that I am against short albums per se, but they probably should have just combined their EP and album for their comeback. I guess they wanted to get something out in 2018, but then when the album came out a couple of years later, it left me wanting more :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: June 10, 2022, 06:20:14 AM »

Not forgetting...

Well you did say Parallel Minds and Flow were their 2nd and 3rd albums , so you could forgive me for thinking you forgot it seeing it's their 3rd album  :P  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3547 on: June 10, 2022, 06:40:08 AM »
America Aquarium - Chicamacomico

Online nick_z

« Reply #3548 on: June 10, 2022, 06:45:20 AM »

Not forgetting...

Well you did say Parallel Minds and Flow were their 2nd and 3rd albums , so you could forgive me for thinking you forgot it seeing it's their 3rd album  :P  ;D

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Yep, you are right...and here I am, thinking I was being clever  :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: June 10, 2022, 06:46:29 AM »
Kiss - Unplugged

Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to let Ace sing on this album?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3550 on: June 10, 2022, 07:46:06 AM »
Dream Theater - Lost Not Forgotten Archives: The Number of the Beast (Live in Paris 2002)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3551 on: June 10, 2022, 08:50:28 AM »
Yes the Raven - Covered in Love: Tribute to U2

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3552 on: June 10, 2022, 09:46:44 AM »
Mary Halvorson - Calling All Portraits

Online nick_z

« Reply #3553 on: June 10, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »

Not forgetting...

Incidentally - given you are a fan - what did you think of their last album?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3554 on: June 10, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3555 on: June 10, 2022, 11:12:07 AM »

Not forgetting...

Tore's guitar tone is nasty on In Your Multitude! I agree its their best.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3556 on: June 10, 2022, 11:49:18 AM »
Shovels & Rope - Busted Jukebox Volume 1

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3557 on: June 10, 2022, 12:10:16 PM »
Conception - In Your Multitude
Seventh Wonder - The Testament

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3558 on: June 10, 2022, 12:13:54 PM »

How many of the classic thrash bands are still putting out albums of this quality? I really enjoyed this. It's more melodeath than thrash in places and that 3 song run of Strongest of the Strong, Become Immortal and Conquer and Destroy is just  :metal :metal :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3559 on: June 10, 2022, 12:32:58 PM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3560 on: June 10, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
I know there is at least one big Autumn fan in the forum...this is a very good one...

It might be me, and if I'm not the one you have in mind I'm curious who else.  Hard to find people who are familiar with them these days, but they're amazing.  That was the last album with Nienke, who was really unique, even if I prefer Marjan now.  Supposedly they're working on another album, hopefully it'll come out this year or next.  Dunno how Landa rejoining Delain will affect that process, but he wasn't part of the core anyway.  Having three guitars and a keyboard live helped recreate all the layers without needing backing tracks though. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3561 on: June 10, 2022, 12:53:35 PM »
I'm still working my way through the DT discography. After a couple false-starts I am warming up to this.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3562 on: June 10, 2022, 12:56:19 PM »

It might be me, and if I'm not the one you have in mind I'm curious who else.  Hard to find people who are familiar with them these days, but they're amazing.  That was the last album with Nienke, who was really unique, even if I prefer Marjan now.  Supposedly they're working on another album, hopefully it'll come out this year or next.  Dunno how Landa rejoining Delain will affect that process, but he wasn't part of the core anyway.  Having three guitars and a keyboard live helped recreate all the layers without needing backing tracks though.

Yep, it was you I had in mind  :) I remember you had them as one of your very favorite bands in a recent thread. This is the album I'm the most familiar with, and it's really good (I found it randomly in a used CD store a few years ago!). I have Cold Comfort too, which I need to revisit. You had recommended their most recent, Stacking Smoke, and I still have to properly check that one out...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3563 on: June 10, 2022, 01:19:48 PM »
Maria Chiara Argiro - Hidden Seas

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3564 on: June 10, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »
Today at work...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3565 on: June 10, 2022, 02:14:54 PM »

Many times yes!! The two albums Grappler posted (their second and third) might be my favorites, but it's all good stuff. Their comeback after a long hiatus is very good too (an EP in 2018 and an album in 2020). They were sort of lumped into that "prog-metal" group of bands following DT footsteps in the mid-90s, but they were always quite different.  Maybe "elegant" power-prog is how I'd describe them, with Roy Khan's voice obviously standing out, but also with Tore Ostby coming up with all sorts of cool riffs and solos on guitar (he would go on to form Ark). Great band, imo.

Nice. It doesn't look like they've got all their albums on Spotify. I'm currently spinning The Last Sunset, then Parallel Minds, as they are on Spotify.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3566 on: June 10, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »

Nice. It doesn't look like they've got all their albums on Spotify. I'm currently spinning The Last Sunset, then Parallel Minds, as they are on Spotify.

The Last Sunset is ok, but they hadn't quite found their sound yet, imo (although I haven't listened to it in a while...). Parallel Minds is great.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3567 on: June 10, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3568 on: June 10, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »

The Last Sunset is ok, but they hadn't quite found their sound yet, imo (although I haven't listened to it in a while...). Parallel Minds is great.

:metal ROLL THE FIRE  :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #3569 on: June 10, 2022, 06:24:59 PM »
:metal ROLL THE FIRE  :metal

:metal indeed!

I couldn't help it, so...

Man, this is so good. The number of great riffs Tore comes up with on this album is amazing. I love how certain songs - e.g. My Decision - almost have an epic-doom-y quality to them. And Roy Khan really is something else on this one (including what I always viewed as a tribute to Freddie Mercury on And I Close My Eyes...)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:33:16 PM by nick_z »