Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 188427 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3430 on: June 04, 2022, 06:51:43 PM »
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind.
Iron Maiden - Killers.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3431 on: June 04, 2022, 08:10:39 PM »

Really not a fan of their choruses the last few years or so. They all sound so similar.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 09:27:38 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3432 on: June 05, 2022, 09:33:06 AM »
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind.

LOVE this album. The S/T is great too, but my 14yr old-self at the time was quite shocked at how they really upped the heavy on this one  :biggrin:

EDIT: In fact, I'm putting it on as we speak. So good!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:42:14 AM by nick_z »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3433 on: June 05, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »

Mostly older stuff in this round...Faith No More and Skid Row inspired by posts from the last couple of days...

As for the new stuff: Rammstein's latest is definitely starting to click. Nestor's record is quite brilliant, really. I mean, I get it's 100% done to sound exactly like the 80s, but it's a very, very good collection of songs.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3434 on: June 05, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »
Today's spins...

What did you think of this? I do NOT normally go for this harsher/more dissonant kind of death metal even when I'm in the mood for more extreme music, but this intrigued me, for some reason. I had read that Artificial Brain are very highly regarded in this scene. Interesting stuff, for sure. Speaking of "extreme", especially in regards to "vocals": I actually enjoyed the album from Afterbirth - another band with the same vocalist - which came out in 2020. The vocals there make zero sense to me, really  :biggrin: But if you think of them as just another, um, type of sound and focus on the rest... the songs, the playing and the production were super-cool...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 07:34:20 PM by nick_z »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3435 on: June 05, 2022, 05:33:29 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3436 on: June 05, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3437 on: June 05, 2022, 06:09:13 PM »

Finally catching up with roulette albums! So far my favorites are the Ben Folds Five, Carpenter Brut, and The Wildhearts. I also found myself enjoying the Wreche record quite a bit, even if I grew a little tired of the black metal shenanigans towards the end, but there are some excellent passages in most songs.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3438 on: June 05, 2022, 06:49:26 PM »
So far my favorites are the Ben Folds Five, Carpenter Brut, and The Wildhearts.

Good. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3439 on: June 05, 2022, 07:38:11 PM »

Finally got around to checking this one out. Very cool album.

At the moment, I'd still say their latest is my favorite out of the three full-lengths...but The Silk Road is a banger of a tune, and I love the mini-epic title (and eponymous) track.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3440 on: June 05, 2022, 07:40:56 PM »

At the moment, I'd still say their latest is my favorite out of the three full-lengths...but The Silk Road is a banger of a tune, and I love the mini-epic title (and eponymous) track.

A great album this is. A mix of Def Leppard's and Iron Maiden's debuts. Yeah, The Silk Road is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3441 on: June 05, 2022, 07:52:11 PM »

A great album this is. A mix of Def Leppard's and Iron Maiden's debuts. Yeah, The Silk Road is amazing.

Just curious - what's your favorite album of theirs, since you've been following them for a while? Shadow Of A Fallen Star really struck a note with me. Classic, but at the same time really unique atmosphere...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3442 on: June 05, 2022, 07:54:01 PM »
I might like the first album just a tad more, but their latest is amazing as well. Two really excellent albums. Their 2nd one is clearly in third place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3443 on: June 05, 2022, 10:10:47 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3444 on: June 06, 2022, 05:27:37 AM »
Andrew Bird - Inside Problems
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3445 on: June 06, 2022, 06:38:08 AM »
Angel Olsen - Big Time
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3446 on: June 06, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »
21 Guns - Salute

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3447 on: June 06, 2022, 09:05:39 AM »
Drive-By Truckers - Welcome 2 Club XIII

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3448 on: June 06, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
Trey Wellington - Black Banjo

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3449 on: June 06, 2022, 10:56:15 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Quarters!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3450 on: June 06, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »

"Epiphany" in particular is a modern masterpiece.  By the end of the 00s I thought I might be done with instrumental guitar albums.  His music is among a handful that proves it can still be a transcendent artform. 

Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

This kind of pop music usually isn't my thing but the concept is super evocative and I'm a sucker for albums that gradually get darker and darker as they get towards the end...

Someone recommend this elsewhere as similar to Chelsea Wolfe, which is a comparison that will always perk my ears up.  I didn't really hear that dark melancholy except maybe on a track or two at all, it's much lighter.  But it's pretty cool in its own right.  "A House in Nebraska" especially is like an aural blanket to lay on. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3451 on: June 06, 2022, 02:22:14 PM »
Today's spins...

What did you think of this? I do NOT normally go for this harsher/more dissonant kind of death metal even when I'm in the mood for more extreme music, but this intrigued me, for some reason. I had read that Artificial Brain are very highly regarded in this scene. Interesting stuff, for sure. Speaking of "extreme", especially in regards to "vocals": I actually enjoyed the album from Afterbirth - another band with the same vocalist - which came out in 2020. The vocals there make zero sense to me, really  :biggrin: But if you think of them as just another, um, type of sound and focus on the rest... the songs, the playing and the production were super-cool...

Admittedly I was quite distracted whilst listening but it was OK. I've left it on my 2022 albums playlist, so I'll give it a second chance to grab me. I think the vocals stood out the most, but not really in a great way. They are at the end of the death metal vocals spectrum that I'm not too big a fan of. It was my first time listening to the band, might try some others of theirs. I think the album cover gave me Bolt Thrower vibes, so I thought I'd give them a go.

Finally catching up with roulette albums! So far my favorites are the Ben Folds Five, Carpenter Brut, and The Wildhearts. I also found myself enjoying the Wreche record quite a bit, even if I grew a little tired of the black metal shenanigans towards the end, but there are some excellent passages in most songs.

Out the albums I know here, there are some belters!

Innervisions is probably my second favourite Stevie album, I truly love it.

Hot Rats is the only Zappa album I own, as I have my Dad's vinyl record. I've always wanted to delve further but understandably I'm quite daunted by his catalogue.

As for The Wildhearts; one of my all time favourite bands and one of their more underrated albums for sure. What other Wildhearts albums have you heard dude?

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Quarters!

So obsessed with the Gizzard right now. I just feel they are a band that are fully in their prime. I have this nagging feeling that if I don't see them live soon I'm going to regret it. All I read about on reddit is about how incredible their live shows are on their current tour.

As for my listening right now...

Arguably one of the greatest metal album covers of all time! Inspired by the release of a new Mercyful Fate song I'm spinning my way through their catalogue.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:05:21 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3452 on: June 06, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass Vol. 2 (Cowboy Arms Sessions)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3453 on: June 06, 2022, 03:08:16 PM »
Shovels & Rope - O' Be Joyful

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: June 06, 2022, 04:38:16 PM »
Old school Mercyful Fate is just beautiful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3455 on: June 06, 2022, 04:41:18 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3456 on: June 06, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »
Old school Mercyful Fate is just beautiful.

Perfectly said.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3457 on: June 06, 2022, 06:28:50 PM »

Hot Rats is the only Zappa album I own, as I have my Dad's vinyl record. I've always wanted to delve further but understandably I'm quite daunted by his catalogue.

As for The Wildhearts; one of my all time favourite bands and one of their more underrated albums for sure. What other Wildhearts albums have you heard dude?
Innervisions was alright for me, I'm not sure his style is my thing, but it was a pleasant listen.

Same with Hot Rats, I was mostly curious about it.

Nothing else by The Wildhearts - buddy sent me Anthem from that album on my last roulette and that record surprised me quite a bit. Any recs?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3458 on: June 06, 2022, 06:33:16 PM »
Enjoying this one tonight..

Quite melodic with harsh vocals..

@ Chad!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3459 on: June 06, 2022, 07:15:01 PM »
At work today...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3460 on: June 07, 2022, 05:29:17 AM »
Enjoying this one tonight..

Quite melodic with harsh vocals..

@ Chad!  ;D

I'll sample.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3461 on: June 07, 2022, 06:24:03 AM »
SASAMI - SASAMI

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3462 on: June 07, 2022, 07:05:34 AM »

Innervisions was alright for me, I'm not sure his style is my thing, but it was a pleasant listen.

Same with Hot Rats, I was mostly curious about it.

Nothing else by The Wildhearts - buddy sent me Anthem from that album on my last roulette and that record surprised me quite a bit. Any recs?

My favourite Wildhearts album is The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed. It was the first album of theirs I heard and it just packed full of hits and hooks. It's quite different from Endless, Nameless though, and not considered as one of their best by the majority of their fan base. I also love Chutzpah! but it's also not considered one of the best  :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:32:53 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3463 on: June 07, 2022, 07:53:57 AM »
My favourite Wildhearts album is The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed. It was the first album of theirs I heard and it just packed full of hits and hooks. It's quite different from Endless, Nameless though, and not considered as one of their best by the majority of their fan base. I also love Chutzpah! but it's also not considered one of the best  :lol

And I figure both of those are considered better than Endless, Nameless by the fanbase. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3464 on: June 07, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »

And I figure both of those are considered better than Endless, Nameless by the fanbase. :lol

Good point, the only way is up then.