Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 175535 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3150 on: May 17, 2022, 03:49:13 PM »
I almost played it this morning. Dammit.

Jester Race?  Get into it mate.  Legendary stuff!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3151 on: May 17, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »
Mary Halvorson - Amaryllis
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3152 on: May 17, 2022, 06:03:43 PM »

I don't listen to the debut or the EP all that much but should revisit.  It's always been about the Jester Race for me.

Lunar Strain is ok, I'm fond of it, but don't love it. Subterranean, on the other hand, is all sorts of awesome. If you haven't listened in a while, please do yourself a favor and put it on. The guitarwork is so, so good. Stromblad and Ljungstrom are on fire. It really is a peculiarity in the band's discography, as they were clearly transitioning even in terms of line-up. They have Henke Forss on vocals (his only recording with the band) and Daniel Erlandsson + Anders Jivarp guesting on drums.

I agree The Jester Race is their best album, but the quality of the songs in this EP is just as good

I almost played it this morning. Dammit.

Jester Race?  Get into it mate.  Legendary stuff!

Tim - you do know the album, though, right?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3153 on: May 17, 2022, 06:06:37 PM »
Yes, I do know the album. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3154 on: May 17, 2022, 06:13:07 PM »
Yes, I do know the album. :)

I figured as much, but asked just in case  :biggrin: Go listen to Subterranean too!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3155 on: May 17, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »
I have The Jester Race on now. :metal

I tried In Flames around '00-'01, probably around Clayman, and there was no chance I was getting past those vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: May 17, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
I have The Jester Race on now. :metal

I tried In Flames around '00-'01, probably around Clayman, and there was no chance I was getting past those vocals.

This album is one of the ones, along with a couple from Soilwork and COB that made me fall in love with these types of vocals.  It's incredible, I put it on and still get the same feeling of back then discovering this world of metal.

I don't listen to the debut or the EP all that much but should revisit.  It's always been about the Jester Race for me.

Lunar Strain is ok, I'm fond of it, but don't love it. Subterranean, on the other hand, is all sorts of awesome. If you haven't listened in a while, please do yourself a favor and put it on. The guitarwork is so, so good. Stromblad and Ljungstrom are on fire. It really is a peculiarity in the band's discography, as they were clearly transitioning even in terms of line-up. They have Henke Forss on vocals (his only recording with the band) and Daniel Erlandsson + Anders Jivarp guesting on drums.

I agree The Jester Race is their best album, but the quality of the songs in this EP is just as good

Nick, just popped home for a quick coffee during work time and have pulled out the EP to take with me out in the car.  I have the version with the bonus tracks too.  :metal

Funny, I can't find Lunar Strain, maybe I don't even own that on cd.......hmmm....that's weird.  I'll report lack later on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3157 on: May 17, 2022, 06:59:17 PM »
Nick, just popped home for a quick coffee during work time and have pulled out the EP to take with me out in the car.  I have the version with the bonus tracks too.  :metal

I'm calling bullshit! :lol

More like you ran home to grab the EP and pulled out a coffee for the car.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: May 17, 2022, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3159 on: May 17, 2022, 07:06:26 PM »
 :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3160 on: May 17, 2022, 07:21:01 PM »

:rollin

BTW, I didn't even know there was a version with bonus tracks! Are they live tracks, or some other unreleased studio songs?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3161 on: May 17, 2022, 07:36:31 PM »
One is just Dead Eternity and the other is called The Inborn Lifeless but it's apparently a alternate version of Dead God in Me.  The other two are covers of Eye of the Beholder and Murders in the Rue Morgue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3162 on: May 17, 2022, 07:54:03 PM »
Murders? On it! :metal

EDIT:  :metal :metal
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:59:08 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: May 17, 2022, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm leaving home now, gonna crank this fucker and probably take another strong ass coffee with me!!  ;D :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3164 on: May 17, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
I'm leaving home now, gonna crank this fucker and probably take another strong ass coffee with me!!  ;D :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3165 on: May 18, 2022, 05:31:00 AM »
The Dirty Guv'nahs - Youth Is In Our Blood
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: May 18, 2022, 06:23:26 AM »
Creed - My Own Prison

Been a while since I put this on, it's a fantastic album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3167 on: May 18, 2022, 06:28:52 AM »
Hiromi - Spectrum

Creed - My Own Prison

Been a while since I put this on, it's a fantastic album.
:tup

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3168 on: May 18, 2022, 06:52:42 AM »

Moon Tooth - Phototroph

Modern-ish hard rock/metal with progressive tendencies. At times it almost reminds of Fair to Midland, although not as as good or eclectic. Really enjoyed it, though. Guitar player is Nick Lee, also with Riot V (!). Album closes on a super-high note with the title-track.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3169 on: May 18, 2022, 01:50:13 PM »
Green River Ordinance - Chasing Down the Wind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3170 on: May 18, 2022, 02:17:40 PM »
The Earls of Leicester - Live at the CMA Theater in the Country Music Hall of Fame

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3171 on: May 18, 2022, 02:30:45 PM »

Moon Tooth - Phototroph

Modern-ish hard rock/metal with progressive tendencies. At times it almost reminds of Fair to Midland, although not as as good or eclectic. Really enjoyed it, though. Guitar player is Nick Lee, also with Riot V (!). Album closes on a super-high note with the title-track.

Nick didn't play with Riot V on their Texas shows last months. I wonder if he's still with them or has been replaced.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: May 18, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »
Hey Nick, great call on the Subterranean EP, that's fucking 20 minutes of beautiful melodic death metal.  Really enjoyed it and really enjoyed the vocalist too.  Wonderful melodies and nice full production.  The extra tracks are well worth checking out.  Murders sounded pretty damn cool with the growls.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3173 on: May 18, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »

I literally have never heard a note of Annihilator. Always been aware of them. Then I hear that this record got the update treatment with Stu Block doing new vocals and Dave Lombardo doing new drums. Dave was enough to get my attention. I guess the original is not highly thought of. Never heard it, but I am liking what I am hearing from this update.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3174 on: May 18, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »
Pretty sure Mangini did the original.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: May 18, 2022, 03:50:43 PM »
I have the original, it's solid.  I thought this was a new album not a reworking but I don't really follow Annihilator. The original had some cool guests.  Looking at Metal 2, it has the same guests guitarists??  So what only parts of the songs were re-done?

Correct.  He played on a couple of Annihilator albums.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3176 on: May 18, 2022, 03:53:50 PM »

Looking at the credits and he did. I honestly cannot imagine Mangini on an album like this. It is straight-up Thrash and Lombardo is, well, nailing it like he always does. I am curious to hear some of the original for comparison. Stu is excellent here. Yet again I see how Jon Schaeffer held back talent on Iced Earth records. Stu is way more versatile than I thought and it appears is handling vocals for Annihilator as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3177 on: May 18, 2022, 03:55:08 PM »
I have the original, it's solid.  I thought this was a new album not a reworking but I don't really follow Annihilator. The original had some cool guests.  Looking at Metal 2, it has the same guests guitarists??  So what only parts of the songs were re-done?

All lead vocals were redone by Stu and all drums were redone by Lombardo. Everything else is original. It then got a remix/remaster to go along with the new vox/drums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: May 18, 2022, 03:55:50 PM »

Looking at the credits and he did. I honestly cannot imagine Mangini on an album like this. It is straight-up Thrash and Lombardo is, well, nailing it like he always does. I am curious to hear some of the original for comparison. Stu is excellent here. Yet again I see how Jon Schaeffer held back talent on Iced Earth records. Stu is way more versatile than I thought and it appears is handling vocals for Annihilator as well.

Yeah, Stu is great, just not in IE.

I may find this CD for the car today and then check out the new one in comparison.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: May 18, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »

All lead vocals were redone by Stu and all drums were redone by Lombardo. Everything else is original. It then got a remix/remaster to go along with the new vox/drums.

Okay, thanks Peart.  It was cool having Alexi, Loomis and Corey from Trivium on here, it's great they are still part of it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3180 on: May 18, 2022, 03:57:21 PM »
Nick didn't play with Riot V on their Texas shows last months. I wonder if he's still with them or has been replaced.

Good question...Metal-archives still lists him as a current member, but it might be a more recent departure...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3181 on: May 18, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »

Yep, including Set the World on Fire, which is the first record I've heard him play on...(and a great record too, just not the Annihilator we knew from the first two records)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3182 on: May 18, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »

I literally have never heard a note of Annihilator. Always been aware of them. Then I hear that this record got the update treatment with Stu Block doing new vocals and Dave Lombardo doing new drums. Dave was enough to get my attention. I guess the original is not highly thought of. Never heard it, but I am liking what I am hearing from this update.

One of the most frustrating bands ever. It's really Jeff Waters, though. Such an incredible guitarist, and the first two records are just classics from that late 80s-early 90s technical thrash era. Many prefer Alice in Hell (and it's great, btw), but my favorite is Never, Neverland. If you don't know it, check it out. Set the World on Fire, their third, is a completely different beast and it's all over the place, but the songwriting and the playing is still top-notch. Love that one too.

The "frustrating" part comes after that...most of the albums following those three are SO inconsistent. There's good (occasionally very good) stuff scattered among them, but for the most part it's been disappointing (given what could've been). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3183 on: May 18, 2022, 04:07:43 PM »
I bought Alice In Hell when it came out, but I never followed up with them. I remember liking that album though.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3184 on: May 18, 2022, 04:10:01 PM »
I bought Alice In Hell when it came out, but I never followed up with them. I remember liking that album though.

You have to check out Never, Neverland   :)