Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 177072 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #6265 on: December 20, 2022, 02:12:21 PM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #6266 on: December 20, 2022, 02:29:12 PM »
Youth Fountain - Keepsakes & Reminders
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
AFI - Sing the Sorrow
Daniel Tompkins - Ruins

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6267 on: December 20, 2022, 03:33:09 PM »

Such an underrated album. The last truly great Children of Bodom album for me. Hard to believe it's nearly 20 years old.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6268 on: December 20, 2022, 04:33:00 PM »
From what I remember it got mixed reviews.  Some thought they had already gone off by this album but I loved it also, almost as much as everything before it.  Love the more industrial tones and If You Want Peace is a top Bodom song IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6269 on: December 20, 2022, 04:54:51 PM »
From what I remember it got mixed reviews.  Some thought they had already gone off by this album but I loved it also, almost as much as everything before it.  Love the more industrial tones and If You Want Peace is a top Bodom song IMO.

Yea, it definitely got mixed reviews but I think it's a great album, up there with their best. Still remember getting a copy of Metal Hammer that had the title track on the free CD. If memory serves, the same CD also had Love? by Strapping Young Lad on it (first time I'd ever heard of Devin Townsend).

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6270 on: December 20, 2022, 05:41:25 PM »
...and after the non-metal thingies from a few posts above, a couple of doom-related records from earlier in the year...only one listen each, but I'm pretty sure I'll revisit:

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (MWWB) - The Harvest

Um, interesting band name, I guess?  :biggrin: Anyway, the music is preeeeetty heavy, the guitars being especially hefty, but then you have these relatively ethereal female vocals, and the contrast is quite interesting. A bunch of intriguing interludes too. I'm not entirely sure what to think yet, but it caught my attention. I think someone might have talked about them in here, but I can't quite remember.

Tishina - Uvod... (or Tишина - У​в​о​д...​)

Death-doom from Serbia. The vocals are harsh but the melodies are beautiful. Real nice guitarwork. It has a vibe that makes it sound like it could be from the 90s. The main theme on the closer (Zauvek [Заувек]) really stays with you.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6271 on: December 20, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »
Don't know this one...what's it like?

No idea if you'd like it, it's basically electro-industrial metal.  Kind of like a modernized early Nine Inch Nails.  Klayton and Reznor are pretty much contemporaries though, he had Circle of Dust and other projects in the early 90s.  If you've never heard any of his work before I'd recommend the 2003 Celldweller self-titled first, it's better than this one. 

So, I sampled My Disintegration from Satellites and it's REALLY good. Very, very catchy. I used to listen to this kind of music a little more around the beginning of this millenium  :biggrin: Might be time to enjoy some good ol' industrial metal. I queued up this one and the s/t, I'll get to them at some point  :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6272 on: December 20, 2022, 08:45:26 PM »

Yea, it definitely got mixed reviews but I think it's a great album, up there with their best.

I remember finding it one of their weakest albums, but I haven't listened to it in a long, long time.  The two things I remember are that "Living Dead Beat" was pretty catchy, and I will definitely not forget the bonus track cover of "Oops I Did It Again", which I still can't decide if it's awful or awesome. 

Daniel Tompkins - Ruins

Incredible album.  "Stains of Betrayal" in particular. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6273 on: December 20, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6274 on: December 20, 2022, 09:01:39 PM »
Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6275 on: December 20, 2022, 10:08:01 PM »
Great album

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6276 on: December 20, 2022, 10:47:39 PM »
...and after the non-metal thingies from a few posts above, a couple of doom-related records from earlier in the year...only one listen each, but I'm pretty sure I'll revisit:

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (MWWB) - The Harvest

Um, interesting band name, I guess?  :biggrin: Anyway, the music is preeeeetty heavy, the guitars being especially hefty, but then you have these relatively ethereal female vocals, and the contrast is quite interesting. A bunch of intriguing interludes too. I'm not entirely sure what to think yet, but it caught my attention. I think someone might have talked about them in here, but I can't quite remember.

Tishina - Uvod... (or Tишина - У​в​о​д...​)

Death-doom from Serbia. The vocals are harsh but the melodies are beautiful. Real nice guitarwork. It has a vibe that makes it sound like it could be from the 90s. The main theme on the closer (Zauvek [Заувек]) really stays with you.

I think I posted about The Harvest earlier in the year. It's definitely one of those albums that left a cool first impression, but I have probably only listened to it once or twice since then. I originally thought it was a top 20 album contender, but then loads of other great albums came out  :lol

Yea, it definitely got mixed reviews but I think it's a great album, up there with their best.

I remember finding it one of their weakest albums, but I haven't listened to it in a long, long time.  The two things I remember are that "Living Dead Beat" was pretty catchy, and I will definitely not forget the bonus track cover of "Oops I Did It Again", which I still can't decide if it's awful or awesome. 

Children of Bodom were definitely a huge deal for me, and whenever I get around to doing a Top 50 Albums thread, I'd be surprised if Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper, Hate Crew Deathroll and Are You Dead Yet? don't make the list.

I think the three albums that preceeded Are You Dead Yet? are better albums, but Are You Dead Yet? is still full of great Bodom songs. I'm getting the urge to stick it on, it's been a while.

And yes, the Oops I Did It Again cover is amazing!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6277 on: December 21, 2022, 03:20:30 AM »
They were massive for me too but one thing I never really could stand was any of their covers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6278 on: December 21, 2022, 05:20:35 AM »
Great album

It really is, I need to try and see them live sometime.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6279 on: December 21, 2022, 10:44:00 AM »
Lonesome_Blue - Second to None

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6280 on: December 21, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »
We are up to 180 pages, so a new thread has been created:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57990
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman