Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 178552 times)

Offline Bluefish

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #3010 on: May 09, 2022, 06:03:34 PM »

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3011 on: May 09, 2022, 06:04:11 PM »

Online nick_z

« Reply #3012 on: May 09, 2022, 07:10:40 PM »
It was 1995 today at work...

This is a cool batch! 

Imaginations from the Other Side is my favorite BG album...amazing stuff. Gamma Ray - I am kind of partial to the Scheepers-fronted albums, actually, but there's no doubt Land of the Free is a great power metal album, with Hansen & the band firing on all cylinders. Damnation Game, I feel, is very underrated in Symphony X's catalog. Many of the seeds of future albums were planted here (and Edge of Forever is fantastic). We talked about Ozzmosis recently in the Ozzy/Dio thread - it was a bit of a disappointment for me after No More Tears, but there's some golden tunes in there (even more so if we think about what followed...). A Change of Seasons - well, what is there to say  ;D As for Stomp 442, believe it or not, I have never listened to it...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: May 09, 2022, 07:23:59 PM »
Land of the Free is just solid fucking power metal from start to finish, amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #3014 on: May 09, 2022, 07:45:10 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3015 on: May 09, 2022, 07:59:48 PM »
Land of the Free is just solid fucking power metal from start to finish, amazing.

I love that whole middle era of the band...Powerplant, Somewhere Out In Space, etc... I am not an expert on Gamma Ray, so it's hard to distinguish one album from the next, but all I know is, which ever one I put on, I enjoy the shit out of it.

We talked about Ozzmosis recently in the Ozzy/Dio thread - it was a bit of a disappointment for me after No More Tears, but there's some golden tunes in there (even more so if we think about what followed...).

Truth be told, I listened to Ozzmosis not at work, but while doing some yardwork after work.
I LOVE this album. Now granted, I've never heard any of his albums after this. I've heard some songs, but no full album.

Ozzmosis is the one Ozzy album that reminds me of Black Sabbath. There are some bad ass riffs throughout, and Ozzy's vocals are fucking intense. Plus it has some amazing tracks. See You On The Other Side is a Top 5 Ozzy track, and his voice is amazing on it. He is so convincing on My Little Man, and I definitely recognize some Geezer lyrics on this album.
And I love Zakk's Randy-esque guitar in the bonus track World Is Falling Down.

As for Stomp 442, believe it or not, I have never listened to it...

This is my all time favorite Anthrax album. 1995 also doubled as the worst year of my life, and this album spoke to me. John Bush knew just what to say to a 27 y/o TAC. This album is heavy AF and John Bush is amazing. I had the lyrics to American Pompeii scribbled on a white board in my apartment.

"I break myself just to live this way
Never as old as I was today"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: May 09, 2022, 08:03:35 PM »
Those you mentioned is the classic GR era.  NWO is still my fav, you know I always have obscure favourites.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3017 on: May 09, 2022, 08:11:37 PM »
Those you mentioned is the classic GR era.  NWO is still my fav, you know I always have obscure favourites.

No World Order...definitely. I love that whole era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #3018 on: May 09, 2022, 08:28:48 PM »

I love that whole middle era of the band...Powerplant, Somewhere Out In Space, etc... I am not an expert on Gamma Ray, so it's hard to distinguish one album from the next, but all I know is, which ever one I put on, I enjoy the shit out of it.

I am not super-familiar with Gamma Ray post-Somewhere Out in Space...around that time I was moving away from that kind of European power metal. There was a huge resurgence of that sound in Europe after it had kinda faded in the early 90s. Clearly, Kai Hansen (with Helloween before and then Gamma Ray) was one of the forefathers, so he couldn't be "accused" of riding the wave. it's just that with so many bands doing it at the time, I was looking for something different. And Gamma Ray, imo, were starting to repeat themselves a bit (and getting a little too inspired by Judas Priest and the like...)

But I might have to revisit NWO now, since I trust your judgement  :)

I do find Heading for Tomorrow, Sigh No More and Insanity and Genius to be very cool power metal albums, though. There's a bunch of quasi-experimental stuff in those (some showing Hansen's love for Queen too!)...not all the experiments are successful, but I always enjoyed those records. And Land of the Free is great.

This is my all time favorite Anthrax album. 1995 also doubled as the worst year of my life, and this album spoke to me. John Bush knew just what to say to a 27 y/o TAC. This album is heavy AF and John Bush is amazing. I had the lyrics to American Pompeii scribbled on a white board in my apartment.

Well, I'll be sure to give it a listen. I don't even know why I have paid no attention to some of the Bush-era records, considering I really liked Sound of White Noise when it came out. I must've been influenced by reviews/friends' comments at the time...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3019 on: May 09, 2022, 08:41:33 PM »
I am not super-familiar with Gamma Ray post-Somewhere Out in Space...around that time I was moving away from that kind of European power metal. There was a huge resurgence of that sound in Europe after it had kinda faded in the early 90s. Clearly, Kai Hansen (with Helloween before and then Gamma Ray) was one of the forefathers, so he couldn't be "accused" of riding the wave. it's just that with so many bands doing it at the time, I was looking for something different. And Gamma Ray, imo, were starting to repeat themselves a bit (and getting a little too inspired by Judas Priest and the like...)

Yeah, they could be a bit samey. The Priest thing came in their later albums like To The Metal and Empire Of The Undead, where they moved away from the European Power Metal thing.

Well, I'll be sure to give it a listen. I don't even know why I have paid no attention to some of the Bush-era records, considering I really liked Sound of White Noise when it came out. I must've been influenced by reviews/friends' comments at the time...

A lot of people consider Stomp to be their worst album. Dan Spitz was gone, and there was no real lead guitarist. Not that lead guitar was ever really a thing in Anthrax. Like I said, that album is powerful and it spoke to me.

Volume 8 is also cool, but I have never been able to get into We've Come For You All.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: May 09, 2022, 10:05:37 PM »
NWO was the start of where they were less power metal and more metal.  They nailed the combination on that one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3021 on: May 10, 2022, 05:36:27 AM »
Jonas Lindberg & The Other Side - Miles From Nowhere
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3022 on: May 10, 2022, 05:50:55 AM »
This is an amazing album!  One of the best from 2022 so far (imo).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3023 on: May 10, 2022, 08:59:43 AM »
This is an amazing album!  One of the best from 2022 so far (imo).
I liked it quite a bit!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3024 on: May 10, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Eyes Like The Sky

Online nick_z

« Reply #3025 on: May 10, 2022, 09:13:40 AM »
Simon Phillips - Protocol III

Simon Phillips is one of my favorite drummers, and I love his performances on all the albums I've heard him play on...but I have zero knowledge of his "solo" records. I've seen you posted a few recently. Any suggestions on where to start?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3026 on: May 10, 2022, 09:29:07 AM »
Simon Phillips - Protocol III

Simon Phillips is one of my favorite drummers, and I love his performances on all the albums I've heard him play on...but I have zero knowledge of his "solo" records. I've seen you posted a few recently. Any suggestions on where to start?
I started at the beginning with Protocol.  I've only got one more to go.  Mostly good, consistent stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3027 on: May 10, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »
Green River Ordinance - Out Of My Hands

Online nick_z

« Reply #3028 on: May 10, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
I started at the beginning with Protocol.  I've only got one more to go.  Mostly good, consistent stuff.

:tup I'll give it a whirl

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3029 on: May 10, 2022, 03:01:12 PM »
Saga - Silent Knight
Pure Reason Resolution - Above Cirrus
Jerry Cantrell - Brighten

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3030 on: May 10, 2022, 03:28:20 PM »
The Earls of Leicester - The Earls of Leicester

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3031 on: May 10, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »
A bit under the weather today, so I kind of basked in the silence at work, but I did hit these two albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: May 10, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
Nice combo to make you feel better.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3033 on: May 10, 2022, 03:51:06 PM »
Primal Fear - Black Sun

Sinner - Santa Muerta

Bon Jovi - Slippery, Keep The Faith

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: May 10, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3035 on: May 10, 2022, 04:04:51 PM »

I finally put the Opeth albums on my iPod. Damn Blackwater Park is such a great album. I needed to tell someone, so I texted LudwigVan! Probably interrupted another round of golf. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3036 on: May 10, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3037 on: May 10, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
@ Kade, I really like The Spider's Lullabye. That's a great album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: May 10, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
@ Kade, I really like The Spider's Lullabye. That's a great album.

You know what, I spun it once at home and had to take it in the car and blast it again.  It is so fucking underrated and slays from start to finish.  I love how we get 6 songs then a 4 song story, that was a cool idea.  Dreams, From the Other Side, Moonlight, Killer, all overlooked.  To the Morgue is also such an underrated cut.  So heavy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: May 10, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »

I finally put the Opeth albums on my iPod. Damn Blackwater Park is such a great album. I needed to tell someone, so I texted LudwigVan! Probably interrupted another round of golf. :lol

Someone gave you their phone number?  :omg: ;D

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3040 on: May 10, 2022, 04:20:08 PM »

Arcade Fire - WE

Online nick_z

« Reply #3041 on: May 10, 2022, 04:36:13 PM »

Did your roulette make you a fan?  :biggrin:

Hope you feel better...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3042 on: May 11, 2022, 03:43:52 AM »
Karcius - The Fold

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3043 on: May 11, 2022, 05:09:36 AM »
Hiromi - Spark

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3044 on: May 11, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
Band of Horses - Why Are You OK